Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th May 2014 at 7:15 PM
Default A-shaped overhang
Like the one in this picture:

http://www.homeplans.com/plan-detai...home-sweet-home

I'm trying to build an adaptation of this log cabin (not exact, but inspired by). I managed to do a reasonable facsimile of the partially-above ground basement, found some log-ish wallpaper, etc. But that slightly overhanging roof is driving me crazy. No window or fence I can find looks right. I'm trying the double-room technique (make a box, make an extension in front). I've tried two shed gable roofs. Those seem to work pretty well with the overhanging part.

It's trying to get that recessed wall behind it and adding windows ... and not seeing gaps after fiddling with roofslope angles, windows and/or fences that's driving me mad! Either I see noticeable gaps or the wall sticks out.

This should have been an easy project. I hope I'm missing something really obvious. My Google-fu skills seem to be lacking, and of course, many tutes have disappeared.

Can someone please tell me what probably-obvious steps I missed? Thanks!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th May 2014 at 8:15 PM
So, you're trying to make the roof on your lot extend FARTHER from the house on the front, right? That's what that picture looks like to me, at least...My suggestion would be just to make the "normal" roof, but don't add the windows to the gabled wall yet, then use columns or walls (or whatever, really- you'll just delete them later) to give you an expanded 2nd floor area to work with. Once you have that, put up a smaller gable that matches the width of the first one, then just delete the exterior wall and the 1st-floor columns or walls you used- you should end up with a roof that extends past the "normal" edge, and a wall recessed back behind it that you can then put windows on like any other gable (assuming it's high enough for windows in the first place). Hopefully this'll work for you!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
#3 Old 14th May 2014 at 4:00 AM
Not being much of a builder, I can't help at all...but because I'm not much of a builder, may I just hopefully inquire as to whether you might be intending it for uploading purposes?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th May 2014 at 7:41 PM Last edited by gazania : 14th May 2014 at 10:50 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Freefalldreams
Not being much of a builder, I can't help at all...but because I'm not much of a builder, may I just hopefully inquire as to whether you might be intending it for uploading purposes?

No ... I'm still learning. I'm not good enough to upload stuff yet.

But ... success, thanks to Zarathustra, I have my overhang!

It wasn't easy because those particular roofs are a PITA, and it took many tries and much cussing. (No, you stupid game. I do NOT want a horizontal roof!) But I did do it ... and packaged it right away. Egads.

I now have a vacation cabin. I had to create a new one, rather than work off the original, because .... oh, many reasons. This is a tinier prototype,

Because Z might be curious ... here is my cabin with its glorious overhang:

Mad Poster
#5 Old 14th May 2014 at 8:06 PM
Success! Hooray! Now if only there were a majestic mountain range in the background...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th May 2014 at 10:38 PM Last edited by gazania : 15th May 2014 at 3:11 PM.
Hmmm .... looking at that cabin, I might try to find skinnier logs as well. Those are some pretty thick trees! I think the game has some log wallpaper. This might be one case where the game content might work better.

I contemplated giving it a shot in the MTS queue, but this house is, by nature, boxy. It's based on a blatantly boxy floorplan. But it does the job for me.

Thanks again for the tip, Zarathustra.