Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 12:28 PM
Default Longest gameplay
I was wondering what is the longest in sims weeks & days is the longest u have ever gone. I have all EPs no stuff packs. Ever since I got the last EP I can never go more than week 20 it ALWAYS seems to crash. I can never play legacy games because by the time it reaches gen 3-4 it crashes. So I am very curious to know everyone's longest gameplay & what have u done to go more than 5 gens or more than 20 sim weeks? Hope to hear some responses it would be greatly appreciated. Happy simming!
Advertisement
One Minute Ninja'd
#2 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 1:16 PM
Honestly, with all the EPs installed, as well as all the crap I have in content, I'll exceed the maximum memory footprint and end up with Error 12's and/or CTD in maybe 2 generations. So now I simply relocate my legacy heir, with the legacy house, to a new town when getting to that point. While not necessarily "following the rules" of legacy play, it provides me with several advantages.

First, it lets me have a change of scenery. I have several custom worlds I love, as well as EA worlds like Roaring Heights and Lucky Palms. Moving my legacy between worlds lets me enjoy all of them. Otherwise, I'd probably get bored in a single world and just start over from scratch in a new world anyway.

Second, as the generations evolve, they end up with stupid amounts of money. They're typically heavily invested in real estate and venues, so if my legacy heir already has a decent sized bank account, I simply move them without recovering those funds. It's like a giant negative family funds, but they still have a legacy home with lots of expensive toys, and enough cash to invest wisely in the new world.

Third, I generate my population from Twallan's SP using my bin of now around 100 custom, attractive sims. After a generation or two in a world, as the good looking sims age up, they invariably end up with crappy clothing choices and EA hair. Moving to a new world, with a bunch of nice looking sims eager to make friends, provides a nice change of pace.

That doesn't mean my legacy heir loses all touch with their origins. If they have a high school sweetie, I make sure they go along too, even if it might not work out on arrival, just to have some continuity. Same goes for some of the other legacy relatives. So while not a "classic" legacy play, I get lots of generations, see how the genetics work for or against me over time, and get to use all my favorite worlds, rather than stuck in one until terminal boredom sets in. However, just because that works for me doesn't mean you have to do it as well. It's just a way around the issue you describe that I prefer to use.
Scholar
#3 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 2:40 PM
Well I've been using the same save for almost a year and a half now, but a few months ago I had the wonderful idea of connecting all my saves with nraas Traveler and now everything is a mess.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 4:24 PM
The one legacy I finished (10th generation baby born in the game) made it to week 53. Not without some issues, though.

However, I started that file back in 2009, with only base game and WA installed. I played the first several weeks of it then. Sometime around gen 4, I got really angry after an error 12 cost me 3 sim days of game play, and shelved that file until after Late Night came out. By that time I'd forgotten what exactly I'd lost in play time to make me so angry, so I gave it another go. Then vampires and celebrities infected the game painfully, and it started to lag, so I shelved it for a while. Until this point, I'd been afraid of mods and did not use them, because of all the posts on EA's forums warning about how they were evil and would mess up your game, and I thought, well, my game already has crashing issues, so I better not risk it without knowing what I'm doing.

Then I tried playing in Bridgeport and wondered why my computer, which I upgrade often and always has a decent graphics card, ram, etc., was having so much trouble running it. I saw the posts about thousands of cars in inventories and people recommending Overwatch, and bit the bullet and figured modding it couldn't possibly make it run worse. Well, it not only fixed it, but I found mods that fixed all sorts of things I complained about to my husband all the time! So then, after learning about mods and getting quite a few from NRaas and here, I played my legacy again. The file was much more stable with Overwatch in, although I still avoided doing much WA traveling in it after generation 5, because the file size was getting big.

I was able to get through the rest of it without too much in the way of performance issues, but I did a lot of "save as" and did it frequently, and I tried to never play for more than a few hours without quitting and reloading. That's not a bad habit to get into anyway, though, with how TS3 can bog your computer down when it's been running a while. I still have to do that, and when I do crash (which isn't nearly as often as it used to be when I play now) it's almost always because I let it run too long.

That said, I haven't had a save game with more than 7 game weeks in well over a year (not counting weeks in WA destinations or University), but that's more due to a shift in play style than anything else.
Alchemist
#5 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 4:44 PM
I've been playing with the same family/familyline since the base game released (not a legacy player, though). I'm nearing the 20th generation soon. I always save the game by using the "Save as..." option because it eliminates many problems which occur, when using only one save. I also move the family to a new town every now and then because it also prevents many problems and well, keeps the game interesting, just like Eskie227 already said. The few crashes I've had in the past have all been caused by bad cc, not the savefile. I have all the EP's and SP's, except the Sweet Treats monstrosity.
Theorist
#6 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 5:41 PM
I am using the same [modern day] save since June 2009. It was two at one point, but when Twallans Traveler shipped it became one. (Thanks for nothing EA) Now I have something like 12 towns in that save.
The save is alive and well to this day. The fact that they don't age probably helps, the generations in my game are static. Those toddlers have been toddlers for 5 years now lol.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#7 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 5:46 PM
Some 77 weeks in Barnacle Bay and some 65 weeks in Isla Paradiso. But I play on Epic or with Aging Off so in both saves my starting Sims are still alive and there aren't that many generations.
The IP save is probably broken now but the last time I played the BB save it was still ok, despite a file size of something around 700 MB (passionate travelers )
Alchemist
#8 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 6:14 PM
I once played until I reached the death of generation 6, can't remember the names but it was:

Girl->Boy->Girl->Girl->Girl->Girl - dead
Scholar
#10 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 7:16 PM
Hard to say. My simself had around 400+ days.
Theorist
#11 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 7:51 PM
IrishA03, have you seen Rinn Fada?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Scholar
#12 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 7:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
IrishA03, have you seen Rinn Fada?

Up until now, no. But I looked it up & it looks gorgeous. :lovestruc
Field Researcher
#13 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 8:08 PM
About 3 sim days, my sims seem to keep dying in house fires, in swimming pools, or starving, being electrocuted etc.

I don't know why, they just do :-P.

I can't seem to keep them alive.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 15th Oct 2014 at 8:56 PM
About 3 or 4 Sim-weeks. Then I download a crapload of CC and start a new save to test them out in. :/