Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2014 at 7:19 AM
Sims 1 world for Sims 3 (to be pre-populated, and fully built)
Finally I found the right forum for this!

So, I've been working on and off with this world in forever, and now I... ugh... figured I better finish it before The Sims 4 comes out.
And since I'm recoloring buildings and finishes off buildings atm I believe it's time to ask for some feedback. Take a look at the pictures on imgur below, and tell me what you think.

Please :
- Is the world overall similar enough to the original?
- Are the outer parts of the map (not shown in the original game) Sims 1:ish enough to fit in with the rest? If anything sticks out or feel wrong, do tell.
- Should I or should I NOT use custom content when pre-population the world?
- Are there any specific texture-recolors that can be made to add to the sims 1 style?
- I saw someone else made this kind of map some time back. Is there anything I can do to make this one better?
- Does anyone know any world speed-up tricks (for example, is it possible to make spawn points less heavy-loaded by shrinking the textures)?
- If you have an immediate mental "NOOOO!" please share your thoughts. Same if there's something that fits really well. All kind of critique are welcome!

View all images HERE! (I don't want to clutter the thread)
(Sorry for the small map-size. I wanted it to be fast-loaded. Can't really change that now)

I will probably add a "testers wanted" (depending on the interest) later on. Right now I'm mostly after some first-look feedback.
If you want more pictures, just shout and I'll see what I can do.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 16th May 2014 at 12:13 PM
Quote:
Is the world overall similar enough to the original?

YES! the resemblance is amazing!

Quote:
Should I or should I NOT use custom content when pre-population the world?

I think it is best not to use any CC

I really love what you did. The only thing that I would change are the two "china" bridges.
But seriously...this is amazing
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th May 2014 at 2:33 PM
Thanks! I'm so glad you like it :lovestruc

I've been trying to make a few of the sims without CC but they all turn out horrible - not similar at all. I'll post with/without pics of those I've made so far someday, so ppl can compare them. And good point about the bridges. Maybe I could move the buildings in the lower side of the river and narrow it down so that only one bridge is needed. It depends on whether the lots stay intact.
Inventor
#4 Old 16th May 2014 at 3:19 PM
This is such a neat idea! The neighbourhood looks identical. To be very picky the pet stores and the downtown area should be closer to the river, but that's really all I can see.

If you can ignore it, don't use CC. It only clutters up the hood. Only use it if you REALLY need it.

I can't wait to see the hood filled with the simmies we know from the beginning.
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#5 Old 16th May 2014 at 8:04 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 16th May 2014 at 8:19 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Ketheira
- Is the world overall similar enough to the original?

You're almost there. I would make the grass texture a bit darker and a bit greener.

- Are the outer parts of the map (not shown in the original game) Sims 1:ish enough to fit in with the rest? If anything sticks out or feel wrong, do tell.

I think it's OK so far.

- Should I or should I NOT use custom content when pre-population the world?

I wouldn't use CC because most people won't download because of that but it is really up to you if you want to use or not.
Some people don't mind it and some people do.

- Are there any specific texture-recolors that can be made to add to the sims 1 style?

As said, I would make the grass a bit darker.

- I saw someone else made this kind of map some time back. Is there anything I can do to make this one better?

I never saw any other Sims 1 neighbourhood recreations for Sims 3.
So I can't really tell. I'm sorry.

- Does anyone know any world speed-up tricks (for example, is it possible to make spawn points less heavy-loaded by shrinking the textures)?

Yes, but those are tiny/small worlds. They load quickly for sure. But most people don't mind it anymore because of the new feature which came with Sims 3 Into The Future

- If you have an immediate mental "NOOOO!" please share your thoughts. Same if there's something that fits really well. All kind of critique are welcome!

I'm not sure about the double bridge. I think it would look better if there would be only one bridge instead of two.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Instructor
#6 Old 16th May 2014 at 8:10 PM
Hrmm. Nitpicky here but I am gonna say the Two lots in the original hood part had a small part of the lot in the water area

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th May 2014 at 9:47 AM
Quote:
"I wouldn't use CC because most people won't download because of that but it is really up to you if you want to use or not."
"If you can ignore it, don't use CC. It only clutters up the hood. Only use it if you REALLY need it."

I will really try not to!
Quote:
"To be very picky the pet stores and the downtown area should be closer to the river."
"I would make the grass texture a bit darker and a bit greener."
"The only thing that I would change are the two "china" bridges."
"I'm not sure about the double bridge."

Don't know why the grass on lots don't change while looking at far-away, but here you go. This is what I did.

Don't think too much about the colors, I edited the pic a bit since CAW adds a white-ish fog when zooming out.
I thinks it's better to compare colors in detail when it's time for in-game testing.
But what about the shape? Is it better or worse?

Also I'm thinking about switching the china-bridge to a flat bridge, since its longer (like the ones up top)
Quote:
Two lots in the original hood part had a small part of the lot in the water area.

Sorry, this was made intentionally. In one of my first worlds I stretched a beach-lot over water and the Sims ended up running around the lot (through the water) before settling down and it looked ridiculous. So, I avoided this as a precautions for those who doesn't own Island Paradise. The world is made to fit all who simply own the base-game. I'm a bit irritated about this since it would fit perfectly to have your own beach on these lots, but that'll have to wait till I make another version that fits island paradise after this one is finished.
Inventor
#8 Old 18th May 2014 at 11:00 AM
That's better
Trainee Moderator
#9 Old 18th May 2014 at 12:01 PM Last edited by Jawusa : 18th May 2014 at 12:17 PM.
You don't need Island Paradise to have lots which are partly on land and partly on water
You only need the patch which came with IP...

As for the lots, edit them in Edit In Game mode one more time - make at least 1 change and the grass texture should be fixed.

And the new grass looks good. I would make it a tiny bit darker - it is still too bright but it looks much better than before.

The sidewalk texture doesn't fit with the sand texture really.
I would change the dirt sidewalk to a sand sidewalk. It would look better and closer to Sims 1.

And I wouldn't place sidewalks under any bridges because if you so, the sims won't walk under the bridge.
Instead, they go up, walk over the bridge and go down afterwards.

Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Mad Poster
#10 Old 18th May 2014 at 3:52 PM
Looking good! I might say that the grass looks lighter than the original game, I would advise darkening your darker grass texture (if you are using one) to get some more contrast. You should also consider using some of the meadow flower textures and rock objects to add some visual interest to some of the larger expanses of green.

Other than that, great job!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th May 2014 at 7:06 AM
Quote:
You only need the patch which came with IP...

Great Scott! I never knew. Can they walk in the water with only the patch, or is it the routing that's been fixed so that they simply don't unless they have the exp?

Quote:
The sidewalk texture doesn't fit with the sand texture really.
I would change the dirt sidewalk to a sand sidewalk. It would look better and closer to Sims 1.
And I wouldn't place sidewalks under any bridges because if you so, the sims won't walk under the bridge.
I exactly wanted to say this after I saw the dirt sidewalk texture under the bridge.

Good point. The sidewalk actually was barely visible up close, but It was clearly brown at a distance. I separated the beach and dirt sidewalks and now they are barely visible at ether distance.

Quote:
I would advise darkening your darker grass texture (if you are using one) to get some more contrast. You should also consider using some of the meadow flower textures and rock objects to add some visual interest to some of the larger expanses of green.

I'm adding darker contrasts as we speak! Flowers should already be there unless all the tampering has washed them out. This will be a continuous process.

I will tweak the sidewalk-part that are visible in the sand/grass-transit-area, add more dark contrast grass, edit some lots, do the last recolors (hospital, police station, mountain tunnel, bridges, asphalt sidewalks, "The Sims" sign at island, commercial at parking lot) and lots of more that I'll probably notice in the process. Thanks a lot for all the help, this feedback is awesome! I will be back soon with a comparison picture! :D

Keep posting if you see anything in this quick screenshot.
Trainee Moderator
#12 Old 22nd May 2014 at 11:34 AM
It looks good.
Sorry to annoy you but the grass needs to be a bit darker.
It is still too bright but you're almost there.

My Simblr
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd Jun 2014 at 2:22 PM
I will try and add more pictures soon (I'm pretty happy with a few of the sims made so far). Meanwhile I am wondering a bit about pre-populating worlds. Am I right when I say that if I want to add ghosts and (possibly) making intact family trees I cannot use Nraas, instead I have to upload a "save-game" file... Do any of you have tutorials for this? I'm feeling really lost about this. This will be my first pre-populated and I dont' know what method is the best. I sincerely hope it's possible to to add for example the Goth family's lot ghost and/or other deceased family members in the local graveyards.

Edit: Just to be clear, I do not plan on populating the world yes, not until after testing. I'm simply planning ahead (i.e. being curious).
Scholar
#14 Old 3rd Jun 2014 at 2:30 PM
If you need a beta-tester for this world, I volunteer. This is developing beautifully, very impressive.

Right now, I'm really missing the old hood...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 3rd Jun 2014 at 3:22 PM
I'll upload the world in this thread as soon as I feel happy with it, so everyone can beta test. There is a few steps left to do (like building a darn graveyard that looks sims1:ish enough, adding more of the darker green grass, recolor a few more buildings and making the boring outer parts of the map a bit more interesting to explore). And of course making the sims. What do you think of these so far? Be honest :P

Some clothing might look lighter/whiter that it actually is (e.g. Dina's dress) like there's a reflection over it.
Ignore it, most probably it's just a bug caused by my dying graphic card.
Scholar
#16 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 2:58 AM
The only few things that really pop out at me about the sims are that, Dina Caliente's hair and skin should be much lighter, as well as some general editing on Bella. She's looking a bit too muscular and busty, for my taste right now. Perhaps a bit thin, too. Maybe I'm remembering the color wrong but I also believe her dress was just a tad more 'blue-ish'.

I'm sorry, I know it's super nitpicky.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Jun 2014 at 11:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I've made some changes and created quite a few families from sims 1 now. A few of which weren't in the original game but could be downloaded from the sims 1 website or found in the bin. I'll add pictures when I've collected them all, till then you'll get the name list.

Original families:
- Goth family (Mortimer, Bella & Cassandra along with some ghosts)
- Newbie family (Bob & Betty)
- Charming family (Claire without the dog... will fix pets version later on)
- Hick family (Mama & Elden, in the scrapyard house)
- Burb family (Tiffany, Brad & John)
- Kat family (Ginia & Tara as -hopefully- an adoptable toddler/child. The wiki tells another story of Tara showing up in sims 2 but I like to believe she got separated from Ginie as a child, and grew up in another family)
- Mashuga family (Frankie & Sylvia)
- Agnes Crumplebottom

Family Bin sims:
- Roomies household (Chris & Melissa)
- Pleasant family (Jeff, Diane, Daniel & Jennifer)
- Michael Bachelor & Dina Caliente (Not sure if I should add Dina or not)

Downloadable families:
- Jones family (Edward, Barbara & Bobby)
- Maximus family (MAHUIZOH "Jimmy" & Princess Zaghawa, whats up with these names?!)
- Snooty Pooty family (the very snobby Chip & Buffy)

Tell me if I've missed anyone or if you'd rather do without some. Also if anyone has info on the possibility to pre-populate with ghosts in graveyards and "social care":d children, please do tell.
Scholar
#18 Old 21st Jun 2014 at 1:56 PM
Kiwi_Tea did extensive testing in the art of prepopulation a few years ago, and he found that some of the occults get corrupted when using the pre-population methods available to us - namely, ghosts and mummies. No idea if ghosts are possible now, with the overhaul they got in Supernatural (they now have a hidden trait, but I am unsure how relevant that is), but you might as well give it a shot using Treeag's SimTransformer in EIG. If that fails, though, you can upload the Goth house as a separate piece of content - ghosts package correctly when you export a lot from the game. And by the way, loving the world! Really looking forward to getting my filthy hands on it, it's amazing how much attention to detail you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Mad Poster
#19 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 1:40 AM
i love your mortimer goth! oh my.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 7:06 PM Last edited by Ketheira : 22nd Jun 2014 at 9:40 PM.
Alright, there you go. Now be nitpicky! I've stared myself blind on these characters now, so I will trust your judgement in this more than my own.

- Green is for sims that will be placed in their houses according to The Sims 1. They will get pre-populated and you have nothing to say about it.
- Yellow is for "family bin" sims, they will probably be placed somewhere, but which lots would fit best, hmm...
- Blue, same as above with less probability, Crumplebottom (I feel) was still a key figure that almost everyone remembers, Caliente I'm not as sure about... probably just uploading her.
- Red were downloadable in sims 1, so not everyone will recognize them. Should I add them in homes or upload them separately? Maybe a few of them, which ones would you prefer? I think Hatfield would fit nicely on the countryside, and Jones is a good middle class family that could be added pretty much anywhere.

For easy full size image - click here.

PS. The teen in the Pleasant family will be recolored (clothing is a bit off) next time I start the game.
Oops! The elderly Goth family should not be red but green, they have a home in sims 1. My bad.
Scholar
#21 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 7:52 PM
Personally, I would rather have them available separately.

The Goths and the Newbies are my favorites.

Wonderful work, here. Wow!
Test Subject
#22 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 12:49 PM
any update on this? I was working on my own version but this is a lot better than I could come up with! I'd love to have a look at the CAW files fot it

*Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
*If ignorance is bliss I'm in heaven
*Ignorance can be solved with a book. Stupidity requires a shotgun and a shovel.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 16th Nov 2014 at 11:18 AM
I've given up on this project. Mostly because I don't like how EA keep milking money out of people, but also because of boredome and TIME (I've become a student again). Not having a graphics card also... helps.

I figures I could upload my files here (as soon as I figure out how and which files to add), so people could adopt and improve the project. I'd be happy though, it some kind of watermark or credit of Ketheira could remain somewhere. Actually I'd appreciate that a lot.

I'll come back to you during the day and see what I can do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 16th Nov 2014 at 6:25 PM Last edited by Ketheira : 19th Nov 2014 at 8:20 AM.
Ok so Now I've collected all I think can come in handy for those who want to continue this projekt in many .zip-files.

Why so many CAW folders?
I didn't always trust the automatic backups, so I made my own. Sadly, I no longer remember which one of the files are latest version. Probably the one that was modifies most recently - but I'd still recommend you look through them all before editing. The CAW-files are the ones starting out with "Simville_" below, I had to divide them to fit the 50MB limit.

To add the recolors I made for the rabbit-holes you will need s3pe.
Remember to backup the .world file before tampering with it. Just copy-paste it, and if something goes wrong remove the faulty file and use the copied one instead.
1. Install the newest stable version S3PE and start it up.
2. Open up the right simville .world-file and you'll see a lot of rows of text be added in the program.
3. Find the "import" alternative (somewhere in the same menu) and highlight and open all the files in the "Rabbithole recolors"-folder.
4. Now you should see a small box where you make sure "use resource name" is ticked, then press OK. A few rows of text are now strikethrough, it means the files you added will be replacing these files after you hit save.
5. Hit save! Not as a new file - just overwrite it as it is and open up the world in CAW.

Congratulations, you have now recolored a bunch of houses that took a hell of a long time to edit!

Sims:
It seems like my latest computer crash took most of the sims with it. I can't believe I didn't back them up. I'll upload what I have, and hope you can make something of it. Here are the links I used when making them, if you're interested in recreating some of them: Neighbouthood 1 sims, Old Town sims, Family bin sims, Glenda and Gordon Ghost and some of the high-res pics at Sims Community - Assets.

Screens and pics:
I'll add my screenshots from The Sims 1 (I took pictures of every building to recreate them as similar as possible) and also some process pics.

It'll be fun to see if anyone has the time to make something with this! :lovestruc Tell me if you're having trouble with the recolors or anything else and I'll try to help as best I can.

I'd recomment downloading all the "Simville_[whatever]" files as well as the "Rabbithole recolors". The rest is just added because... you know, why not.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Simville.zip (49.30 MB, 444 downloads) - View custom content
Description: CAW files.
File Type: zip  Simville_copy.zip (38.71 MB, 141 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Simville_moved.zip (47.29 MB, 140 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Simville_bridge.zip (49.32 MB, 179 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Simville_basegame2.zip (27.74 MB, 154 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Simville_test.zip (49.11 MB, 155 downloads) - View custom content
Description: CAW files. This may be the droids you are looking for.
File Type: zip  MTS forum pics.zip (47.02 MB, 73 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Unnecessary, unless you liked the pics in the thread and don't want to make your own.
File Type: zip  Rabbithole recolors.zip (7.97 MB, 180 downloads) - View custom content
Description: These makes a big visual difference, please use them! :D
File Type: zip  Screens of The Sims 1 houses.zip (10.39 MB, 128 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Unnecessary, probably only useful for those feeling nostalgic.
File Type: zip  Sims 1 assets.zip (42.61 MB, 153 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Some high-res pics of Sims 1 faces and clothes etc.