Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Nov 2014 at 3:15 AM
Default Do you rely on rotten tomatoes or imdb for movie reviews?
I'm hesitant to order certain films from payperview even after watching the trailers and seeing reviews or ratings from sites like Imdb or rotten tomatoes.

Right now there are two movies on payperview I want to see the prince a mobster film with Bruce Willis and Maleficent with Angelina Jolie about Disney's iconic villian.

Owe my cable provider Rogers charges $6.99 plus Canadian taxes per movie, so I have to be picky.

So do you rely on online sites or friends opinions on films you won't to see?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 9th Nov 2014 at 3:50 AM
Review sites are for seeing what critics thought, the back of the dvd case is for seeing if it has the kind of story and content that you are after. That's what I looked at before impulse buying A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Minority Report dvds. If they were newer or just more expensive releases then I would likely have a look at reviews if I hadn't heard of them before. Then again, I bought 1984 from Amazon based on high critic praise and found that I didn't 'get' the abstract scenes or like them as much as the critics. Getting exactly what you like takes at least some luck. Critics hated The Island of Dr. Moreau, the one with the Godfather, but all the things they disliked I found entertainingly wacky.
Theorist
#3 Old 9th Nov 2014 at 8:34 AM
I rely on IMDB for "which movie is this, what's it about, and who is in it." Reviews? Well, it's pretty easy to tell if a movie's going to be terrible and sometimes they're informative for how terrible, but for "good" movies... there's lots of good movies out there that I don't actually care to watch most of the time. I don't have the inclination to spend hours watching dramas most of the time, for instance, because you've got to pay attention to dramas while I can throw on a comedy or rom-com and have it idle in the background while I do other things. And action movies are generally have three scenes worth watching anyways these days, because that's all Michael Bay has the budget for.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Nov 2014 at 2:01 PM
I don't really like to look at reviews to determine if I want to watch something or not, because they might think it's horrible but I think it's good, but in college I studied Film Studies for one of my A-levels so we were told to check Imdb and Rotten Tomatoes often for reviews on certain films to quote in essays and such. I don't any more though, but I still use Imdb to look up actors and storylines.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#5 Old 9th Nov 2014 at 2:07 PM
I prefer Rotten Tomatoes, although my son has noted that there are a couple of reviewers on there that he regularly ignores because they are predictable in their reviews and seem biased. But, there's always a variety and if you look at audience scores, it give a fair idea. The hardest thing about reviews is that different things appeal to different people. Your best best is to find someone who likes the types of movies you do and ask them for recommendations.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Nov 2014 at 2:13 PM
I know on December 2nd Dawn of the Planet of the Apes well be released on blu-ray and no reviews or anyone's opinion well stop me from ordering it from payperview.
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#7 Old 9th Nov 2014 at 2:48 PM
For ratings and reviews I usually go to FilmAffinity and IMDB, and the rating I would give to the movie is usually something in between those two. Good movies usually have over 6.5 in FilmAffinity and over 7.5 in IMDB, with exceptions, of course FilmAffinity shows a variety of reviews from newspapers and magazines, so it's pretty useful.

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Field Researcher
#8 Old 10th Nov 2014 at 3:37 AM
I usually go with IMDB. I've got the ratings pinned down for me, at least.

6.0-6.9 Good to see in theaters if I've nothing else to do, but relatively an okay movie, probably won't want to watch again (I go to a discount theater, so it's actually really cheap)
7.0-7.9 Good movie, Will really enjoy it, may watch again
8.0-8.9 Excellent movies, Definitely should see in theaters if interested.
9.0+ The rare ratings. Same as 8+ in my book, but shows that critics tend to rate it higher.

Like anything, though, I don't just go by the reviews. I watch the trailer and that's how I decide if I want to see it or not. Many movies on imDB get at least a 6+ (that sound interesting), but when I watch the trailer, that's when I change my mind if it's just not my type of movie. Same goes with higher ratings.

Guardians of the Galaxy got good ratings, but when I watched the trailer, I didn't think it looked like something I wanted to see and I saw something with a lower rating I found more interesting.

For what it's worth, I have seen Maleficent. Thought it would be below mediocre, and the trailer looked terrible to me. Saw it in my discount theater, and it was very enjoyable. Much better than the trailer made it out to be. I liked the changes they made to the original Disney fairy-tale. I thought it was well worth the money I spent (around $10 total). Just throwing it out there.
But, yeah, movie was much better than the trailer made it out to be. But then again, that was my opinion. It was a good watch.

I have not seen the other movie you mentioned.
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#9 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 5:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Noa_4ever
Guardians of the Galaxy got good ratings, but when I watched the trailer, I didn't think it looked like something I wanted to see and I saw something with a lower rating I found more interesting.

This is a little off topic, but I was also skeptical of Guardians of the Galaxy based on the initial trailers. I didn't really have a good sense of what the movie was about, and I was totally unfamiliar with the comics that it was based on. But that being said, the movie turned out to be fantastic--so if you've been curious at all about giving the movie another shot, I would definitely recommend it!

There's always money in the banana stand.
Test Subject
#10 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 8:58 PM Last edited by TiesiogAsh : 19th Nov 2014 at 11:32 AM.
I usually check out the ratings and reviews on IMDB, however, I'm careful to remain critical as they can be rather subjective. E.g., I'm into arthouse / indie cinema, and some of these films end up with lower ratings if they receive a lot of publicity and attract a lot of audience that is looking for pure entertainment instead of artistic value (and thus don't see the film for what it was intended to be). Although voter age / gender statistics can be quite useful in this case!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 12:18 AM
I might order into the storm from payperview
by what IMDB 6/10 rating was this weekend if there's nothing else on.
Instructor
#12 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 5:08 AM
No freaking way, I hardly accept movie suggestions and reviews from close ones
Most of the time their opinion on IMBD and RT and others alike are waaaaaaayy off from what I would say. So, no.
I like to be my own critic and I dont buy movies from payperview, psshh if it sucks then I waste $
No, either watch it online bootleg, or wait and catch it at the library or on HBO

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Mad Poster
#13 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 10:07 AM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 23rd Nov 2014 at 5:15 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by frenchyxo22
watch it online bootleg
This is stealing. People often forget that. Going outside the legal channels (library, HBO) keeps money from those involved in the movie making and puts it in the hands of criminals. A person might not like a movie or a song or piece of art, but that does not give them the right to take it without paying for it.

Quote: Originally posted by frenchyxo22
I like to be my own critic
In the end, it makes the most sense to be your own critic. I have friends who won't trust a movie unless given a certain score and I can see that to a degree, but there have been many movies that I've enjoyed that weren't rated very highly and a few that I did not enjoy at all that were. I like to take others' opinions into consideration, however, realizing that their point of view might not match my own.

* To the person who disagreed: When you go to work, do you expect to be paid?

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.