Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#1651 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 3:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
...so we could have been completely wrong about any number of points...

Or not! A lot of interesting developments in radio, from a hundred years ago up to even now, have been accompanied by arguments that the concepts involved (Maxwell's equations, complex-valued amplitudes, modulation, sidebands, ...) were merely ways of thinking about math, essentially tricks, with no physical reality to them. "Bah," said at least some engineers, "works is works" and they'd put up an antenna and it would work.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#1652 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 4:23 PM
I may have lost all my friends and have no clue about my future life, but my mom's got a new job so we got that going for us, which is nice.
Mad Poster
#1653 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 12:02 AM
I treated myself to Dunkin Donuts because I went for a fasting blood screening this morning and, hey - they already took the glucose and lipid test, so why not? The young (19? 20?) man behind the counter asked what could he get for me "dear?" and kept throwing in "dears" and "honeys" into every sentence. I guess some people would be offended at that, especially considering that I am well over the age his mother probably is, but I found it very flattering, not in the "Ooo - a young guy is flirting with me!" kind of way, but in the "I'm cute enough to be like everyone's mom!" sort of way. It made my morning, at least. That and a pink donut.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#1654 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 12:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
High five.

Honeybees are nesting in our front yard! Bees have been in decline around here. Although my lavender and borage are out of bloom at the moment, there is a tree down the block that keeps them busy and happy. I have read that honeybees like to work one type of plant per outing, i.e., they come home with one kind of pollen at a time. Therefore, I shall plant my bee-attracting plants in clumps from now on, rather than spread them around.

The only difficulty is that the nest is near to the sidewalk! These are quite mellow bees who, on their way in and out, totally fly right past my head ignoring me. But my folks are worried they'll come into conflict with some passerby sooner or later. When honeybees do sting, they are worse sting-per-sting than the (far more aggressive) yellowjackets, and someone might be allergic. The good news is that a hive big enough to cause trouble is usually big enough to be worth saving, so if necessary, we can probably get a bee-wrangler to take it away, accepting the hive itself as payment and giving it a good home.

I saw honeybees for the first time in a while last weekend at a place I walk my dogs. They were on winged sumac -

It was nice to know that some have survived.
Mad Poster
#1655 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 1:45 AM
Knowing I can chant the chanting sections of Enigma's Return to Innocence properly as a linguist and the touching story of a boy who played princess in kindergarten just for shits and giggle during fancy dress day and won first prize. Didn't afterwards, but it's a cute story coming from his parents, cabbie father and hairdresser mother. Of course, that was Denmark. Americans would throw hissy pissy fits like my two rival cats.

Oh and I'm lovesick for Alice Cooper. Why must my heart flirt with those who flirt with danger on a regular basis?

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
#1656 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 2:16 AM
I saw some kid wearing a t-shirt that had the Minions stealing the TARDIS.
Mad Poster
#1657 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 2:54 AM
Today is the 98th anniversary of the foundation of the US National Park Service! Ken Burns had it right when he called the National Park system "America's Best Idea." These places (and so many more) are utterly astounding, and preserved not only for the use of the people alive today, but preserved for posterity as well. As Teddy Roosevelt said of the Grand Canyon when he first visited it,
Quote:
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been at work on it, and man can only mar it. What you can do is to keep it for your children, your children's children, and for all who come after you, as one of the great sights which every American, if he can travel at all, should see."

Today we can amend that to apply to so many other places and so many other people- America's National Parks encompass not only national treasures, but INTERnational ones- the fact that society has acted to preserve them in such a profound manner is incredible. I'm honored to call myself a National Park Ranger.
Screenshots

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
#1658 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 3:33 PM
Today's my birthday

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Mad Poster
#1659 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 8:35 PM
Happy Birthday, Blake! May you have a day of sweet surprises!

Scholar
#1660 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 1:08 AM
Got Walking Dead Season 2 game for 9.99 :D
Scholar
#1661 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 2:19 AM
I started my new job at the school's library today and I did really well at it! The woman who was training me said I did "phenomenal." That made me feel good on its own, but since I plan to study library science, it gave me an extra boost of confidence! :D

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Field Researcher
#1662 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 1:32 PM
I hadn't realized I left my homework notebook at home until I got to the bus stop this morning but I had enough time to run back and grab it and be back in enough time to catch the bus!

Queen of the Land of Typos.

Check out my simblr.
Instructor
#1663 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 8:59 PM Last edited by Gremily_ : 27th Aug 2014 at 9:11 PM.
My old ex-best friend got my attention during a school assembly to talk to me. We haven't really talked all summer and of course it wasn't much of a conversation, just whispering. It made me happy to know he still acknowledged me. Maybe that he still cares could be a bit of a stretch, but it was nice. Really nice.

Oh! And tomorrow is his birthday. Maybe I should get him a card or something.
Mad Poster
#1664 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gremily_
My old ex-best friend got my attention during a school assembly to talk to me. We haven't really talked all summer and of course it wasn't much of a conversation, just whispering. It made me happy to know he still acknowledged me. Maybe that he still cares could be a bit of a stretch, but it was nice. Really nice.

Oh! And tomorrow is his birthday. Maybe I should get him a card or something.

There is nothing more joyous than a reunion with an old friend.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Instructor
#1665 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 4:10 PM
I was out driving for the first time today. It went good, I think. I wasn't horrible, and it was fun!
Forum Resident
#1666 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 6:40 PM
I moved into a beautiful new dorm today! I've got a decent view out my bedroom window, but the lounge on my floor has an absolutely incredible view. If I feel like the bragging is worth the effort, I'll post a picture!

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Mad Poster
#1667 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 10:08 PM
Not only am a linguist, a Simmer, a romantic, and theoretical physics buff, I also use astrology as part of a psychological social experiment. I did a reading on the research gleaned for Alice Cooper. Based on the research of his interviews and reported behaviors, he doesn't match his signs.

Like I said, it was only an experiment. But it was shits-and-giggles fun.

Top Secret Researcher
#1668 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 6:02 AM
My dad and grandparents are coming to visit for the day tomorrow! 4 hour drive, so they better be here bright and early!
Scholar
#1669 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlakeS5678
Today's my birthday

Happy Birthday! xx
Mad Poster
#1670 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 12:03 PM
First weekend

I'm just going to count those weekends, celebrate them, celebrate that a week is behind me and take them one at a time. It's a plan.

Scholar
#1671 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 2:00 AM
Authentic kettle corn. There's a farmer's market around here that's only open on certain hours over the weekend so I waited all week to go and get some kettle corn and it did not disappoint. It is glorious :D

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Instructor
#1672 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 2:27 AM
Took my cartilage piercing out and put a gold hoop in place of the piercing earring after almost 6 months.

It's sore now, but I'm glad I could finally change it!!
Lab Assistant
#1673 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 11:10 PM
It made me very happy that I can get antidepressants for free in my city. There's a place called Cittadella della Salute where you can go in, talk to a psychiatrist, get diagnosed, and receive your medications. All for free. And even more incredible, recovery centers are free too, whereas in the US a full stay would cost thousands to tens of thousands of dollars. Seriously though, how does it work in America? Like, if you've got a broken leg or cancer or anything else and can't afford the surgery, do you just...die? Walk it off? That can't be right.
Top Secret Researcher
#1674 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 1:32 AM
Brewing ginger ale with my dad. Probably I will post here again when it's ready to drink
Scholar
#1675 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 5:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by acrylicpainting
It made me very happy that I can get antidepressants for free in my city. There's a place called Cittadella della Salute where you can go in, talk to a psychiatrist, get diagnosed, and receive your medications. All for free. And even more incredible, recovery centers are free too, whereas in the US a full stay would cost thousands to tens of thousands of dollars. Seriously though, how does it work in America? Like, if you've got a broken leg or cancer or anything else and can't afford the surgery, do you just...die? Walk it off? That can't be right.

lol pretty much. I've always had insurance (thank God) but there was this woman at my work who basically had a painful growth on her finger but she didn't have insurance so she couldn't afford to get it checked out. So she'd come to work every day and just live with it. There is some government health insurance but not everyone can get it and I think it can be pretty hard to. There is no such thing as free psychiatry. I can see a counselor at my college because I pay to go here, but there's no psychiatrist of course. I'm sure you've heard of Breaking Bad, where he got cancer and sold meth because he couldn't afford to pay for the treatment. I know someone with leukemia and his family is constantly doing fundraisers because the treatments are so expensive. Additionally, a large portion of the nation's homeless are mentally ill who slipped through the cracks and/or couldn't afford treatment.

bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Locked thread | Locked by: Don Babilon Reason: No flaming, no mudtracking!
Page 67 of 118