Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 3:16 AM Last edited by lorefriendly : 10th Aug 2014 at 10:41 AM.
Self-sim help...?
I'm pretty sure that this isn't the right place for this, but I haven't found one that is. Please forgive me, I'm new. I'm also not planning to upload this, it's for my own use; I'm just looking for pointers.

Short story: I got a self-sim, and I'm trying to improve her, but I need a second set of eyes. I have no idea how I could get her looking any closer (my facial comprehension isn't strong) and over the last few edits her septum has gotten really weird looking.

Here's some comparison pics of me trying not to feel self-conscious about my gross hair and potato face (meant lovingly).

(deleted)

Now without further ado, I'm going to go eat some peanut butter cups and try and not be anxious about showing my face on the internet.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 7:52 AM
Well, her face needs to be longer, I think. You also have a clearly shaped chin/jaw, I think hers is a bit too vague.
Your eyes seem more almond shaped, but I'm not quite sure how to achieve that. If you use CC, perhaps you should get some eyes with smaller iris? Looking closer, I think maybe the eyes needs to be a touch smaller.
I think the upper lip shape is quite good (by the way, you have a gorgeous upper lip, I would kill for that), but it seems too tall, up and down. And perhaps it needs to be a little bit wider.
The nose needs to be a bit longer (face profile slider?), and I can't tell if the shape is right until that happens.
You seem to have the cheeks and cheekbones spot on.

Really exiting project you have going on there, I can imagine it takes guts I'm very much looking forward to seeing if this has helped in any way
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Aug 2014 at 9:39 AM
I made some changes according to the feedback you gave, and some of the things that I noticed myself.

The only way I could think to make her jaw more defined was to move the "Jaw Shape" slider to the left, but now it feels like it's a bit too pointy at the sides... maybe it's just me.

I have an eye width (it's technically called "eye stretch" idek) and an eyelid open/closed slider that I could probably use to tweak her eye shape, but I don't really understand what almond eyes are, I always thought that they were upturned at the corners? Also, I'm pretty sure there's an eyeball mesh by #awt which allows you to make the iris smaller, I used to use it but it makes the whites of the eyes super bright so I didn't install it when I reinstalled this last time.

Thanks for the help. I was getting a little worried that I had embrassed myself because nobody was replying. I know that it'd only been less than a day, but social anxiety is rarely rational.
Scholar
#4 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 3:04 AM
Please bring your reference pictures down with each edit. That way we can best help you. Great, and brave, project! Don't be self-conscious; you have a very interesting face!
Instructor
#5 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 7:55 AM
And when you do bring the reference down, I'll be able to have a better look at the eyes It does look better though, I see your issue with the jaw. Is there a jaw height you can mess with, so the chin and jaw are more aligned? Keep it up
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 2:00 AM Last edited by lorefriendly : 10th Aug 2014 at 10:41 AM.
Ah, I'm sorry!

Only thing I changed here was toning down the shape slider a little bit...

(deleted)
Scholar
#7 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 5:10 AM
Great job! The nose looks spot on except the nasal bridge needs to be wider. From the side, maybe pull the eyes forward some so they are not quite so deep set. Also, the bottom eyelid needs to come up to make the eyes more "closed" at the outer corners and eliminate the gap between the eye and bottom eyelid. Mouth should be a bit wider and both lips taller up and down. Good work with the upper lip "V"!
Instructor
#8 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 9:32 AM
Aye, what Simmy said (as usual).
I also think perhaps the eyes should be a little bit smaller and perhaps raised a touch. Something about the eyes bug me though. I think it's that lower lid that seems a bit ... "sunken". Can you raise it just a slight nudge, so it becomes a bit smoother?
I think the width of the mouth itself might be fine, but the lips should be a bit wider. The shape seems fine, but it'll be easier to tell when they're wider. (I'm still jealous of your lips to be honest.)
Great pics
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#9 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 12:03 PM
Looking at your side view photos, I think you may need to use the "facial profile" slider to pull your features out a bit.

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 12:44 PM Last edited by lorefriendly : 10th Aug 2014 at 10:41 AM.
(deleted)

!!!
Are we getting closer?!

I finally got rid of that makeup, it's been bothering me for a while. And I'm not sure how I can raise the lower eyelid any higher, because that eyebag is attached to the skin (?) and it's really low for some reason.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 12:53 PM Last edited by Cleos : 7th Aug 2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: messed up links
I would suggest maybe trying to use another skintone that includes realistic eyebags. The one you are using right now is very doll-like and takes away realism, especially when creating a real person. (Just a suggestion) This Skintone is very realistic looking and includes eyelids where you want em to be. Also, I would make the eyeball a LOT smaller with the Eyeball slider and maybe make the contacts a bit darker, they look a bit yellowish now. I think this will make a huge difference. Good luck!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 5:57 AM Last edited by lorefriendly : 10th Aug 2014 at 10:41 AM.
Funny enough, I already had that skin and some of the sliders from that pack in my packages folder... I just never used the skin. alskdjflkasjdf

It's very pixelated/noisy, but I could probably get used to using a not-so-smooth skin (in fact, it'll probably grow on me the more I use it, like most things do).

I feel like we're getting closer. I'm considering moving her nose up a bit farther on her face when I look at the side view, but I think it only looks shorter because of the distortion.

(deleted)

Instructor
#13 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 7:28 AM
Actually I think you should give it a go - moving it up a bit, I mean. I like the skin, but then, I've gone that road myself - getting a more uneven skin and as I use it, I find myself unable to settle for the smooth ones now, haha
I miss that beautiful curve your upper lip has. I think it might be affected by the upper lip width slider, but I can't be sure. Hang on, let me fix a graphic explanation.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 10:40 AM Last edited by lorefriendly : 10th Aug 2014 at 10:39 AM.
I see what you mean, though I don't really know what to do with my upper lip. Here she is without the lip curve slider...

My upper lip doesn't extend all the way to the corner like that though, it kind of ends before that... like this:

(deleted)
Forum Resident
#15 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 11:30 AM
your sim (and so are you, right?) looks awesome! just wanted to say that. enjoy the face and the freckles and everything. this is exactly the kind of pixelated humans that look like real people i would like to see much more in computer games - especially in a "real life mimiking game" like sims 3. great!

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 10:39 AM
Thanks for the help guys, though I'm removing some of the pictures 'cause I don't want stuff of me just floating around.
Scholar
#17 Old 12th Aug 2014 at 6:25 AM
I think the sim looks really good! The only thing that is bothering me is the gap between the lower eyelid and the eyeball. That looks strange. To fix it, I think you'll have the adjust the eyelid(s) and/or use a larger eyeball and then scale it down a bit. Great work!