Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 7:06 AM
Default TS2 Blinking Sims problem
I've seen similar threads regardig video cards and ram but not my exact problem so here it goes. In the last few days, I finally got around updating to SP2 ( I know you are probrably rolling your eyes, but I never trust Microsoft to not mess up the first time around lol). Anyway, after going through all the updates, I went to play TS2 and noticed that the screen was acting weird- not blinking in and out per se, but the sims and some of the objects seem to be blinking and cut into lines instead of whole sims, if that makes sense- kid of how a old tv has wavy lines when it first come on but its only the actual sims themselves. This only happens in houses, everything else works fine. I've also noticed the game slowing down even though Ive done very little downloading lately because of the whole EP thing.

I took out some unnecessary downloads and it seemed to lessen but it still happens (it could have just lessened because I'm in my first generation of my legacy house so there's hardly anything in the house) I just ordered more RAM (I'm playing with 256 DDR- upgrading to 512mb would go higher but I'm using a laptop and I don't want to push it without changing the power supply like I plan to in 6 months) I am also using a ATI Radeon 9200 32mb graphics card and was thinking about upgrading but wasn't sure if I should just get the 9200/256mb or go for the gusto and get the 9800/128mb pro.

Does anyone think this will help with the game issue or should I try to do a clean install and see if that works? Thanks in advance for any help, and if anyone can answer my non game upgrade questions in details *hint, hint* please PM or email me.

P.S sorry for the long post

[email protected] (LOL)

If at first you don't succeed, hire someone to do it.
If I wanted your opinion, I'd give it to ya.

"Why did God create man before woman?"
" Because you're always suppose to create a first draft before creating your masterpiece" :D
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 7:22 AM
I personally wont upgrade to SP2 unless I absolutly have to......I think what may have happened is the extra bit of "windows" that SP2 adds may have started to push your system to its limits. An upgrade may be called for now, as a clean install might free up some system memory, but then again might not............if you know what I mean...............
P.S.......A graphics card might be all you need, I use a Geforce 4000 128meg, standard card, nothing fancy, and it runs great on that..........
Forum Resident
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 7:36 AM
First off, yes you are correct.
SP2 noticeably slows the system down -- meaning it slows down the system so much that one can actually feel it. :P

Second, are you talking about upgrade your laptop?
If yes, no one upgrades his/her laptop's PSU (power supply unit) when s/he upgrades any laptop. :p
Also, upgrading laptop's video card is ... unusual and unlikely (I won't say impossible). And, you won't be able to do so by buying an desktop version of video card and upgrade.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 7:41 AM
I Fogured it had something to do with that (SP2) also. I already ordered the Ram and it should be here in a few days - not sure if I'll be able to get the video card this week because I'm living on a temp's budget and already had to agree to pay two months on the directv bill in exchange for getting the ram right away. I think the ram might help lessen the "strain", since I have plenty of hard drive space left. Once I get a new video card I hope that helps- do you think the ones I mentioned in the previous post will work or do you think they'll be too taxing on my power supply? I think the Ati 9200 256mb or 9250 128mb are both safe bets since I have a 9200 32mb now, but the one I really want- the 9800 128 pro- might be overstepping my boundaries. Thanks for your help shazbat and if you can get think of anything else I might need to do, let me know

[email protected] (LOL)

" Because you're always suppose to create a first draft before creating your masterpiece" :D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 7:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KKai
First off, yes you are correct.
SP2 noticeably slows the system down -- meaning it slows down the system so much that one can actually feel it. :P

Second, are you talking about upgrade your laptop?
If yes, no one upgrades his/her laptop's PSU (power supply unit) when s/he upgrades any laptop. :p
Also, upgrading laptop's video card is ... unusual and unlikely (I won't say impossible). And, you won't be able to do so by buying an desktop version of video card and upgrade.

Yeah i'm definitely feeling it lol

Since I don't have an integrated graphics card, I've been told by others that I can upgrade it, although like you said, I can't just use any old desktop card, hence my plea here lol. what I meant in the psu comment is that I would eventually like to have this laptop rebuilt from case to finish with more powerful components, but it would have to wait until I can finally get my gaming machine built, which could be as little as 6 months from now or as long as 18 months *sigh* For now I just want to upgrade this one like crazy- its just over a year btw and I'm treating it like its from the 90's lol.

[email protected] (LOL)

Forum Resident
#6 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 7:49 AM
Err ... how about my question in my earlier post?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 7:54 AM
not sure which question you are referring too? *confused*
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 7:58 AM
Update your video card driver.

Not trying to sound like a smart ass or anything, when I first got my new computer so I could play the Sims2, I was terribly disappointed to see everything was all uhm... line-y. This was on a brand new computer with a Radeon 9200 and a gig of ram, windows xp with sp 2.

The house would be fine, and most of the objects, but my actual sims were full of coloured lines. Not blurry, sharp bright lime green lines, I think, though it's been a while.

I'd love to include a relevant pic, but as the only software I actually installed at the time was the Sims game, I just pasted them into a stupid window works file (which I've since uninstalled and not replaced with anything)

You would think at very least a new computer would come with updated drivers but...

The good news is that drivers are free and for me anyway were the solution. Good luck
Forum Resident
#9 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 7:59 AM
Are you upgrading your laptop ?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 8:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KKai
Are you upgrading your laptop ?

LOl oh ok got it (sorry about that)

yes- this is my main computer right now- I just bought a ram upgrade- trying to figure out the best upgrade for the video since I've been told it can be upgraded ... just can't figure out the best one to get for this computer out of the three I found

[email protected] (LOL)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 8:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zeljka
Update your video card driver.

Not trying to sound like a smart ass or anything, when I first got my new computer so I could play the Sims2, I was terribly disappointed to see everything was all uhm... line-y. This was on a brand new computer with a Radeon 9200 and a gig of ram, windows xp with sp 2.

The house would be fine, and most of the objects, but my actual sims were full of coloured lines. Not blurry, sharp bright lime green lines, I think, though it's been a while.

This laptop was purchased in dec of 2003 and came with a radeon 9200 256mb xp, etc and the sims ran fine until i installed sp2 then a roblem similar to yours started happening. I just hope to get this resolved before university comes out *argh*. Thanks for your help and you didn't sound like a smart ass btw lol. (I'm a new yorker-it takes a lot before I comdemn someone to smartass-dom lol)

[email protected] (LOL)