Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 11th Feb 2009 at 2:47 AM
Some developers do this with their games. They just want to give you a little taste. :shrug:

I'm sure once the game comes out you'll be a bit more satisfied. At least, more so then you are at this moment. Besides, Eaxis makes ugly Sims, you should know that.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 11th Feb 2009 at 3:44 AM
I realize that after looking back on this thread. It's still shocking to me though. I'm sure you can make them look different i like them though.
Forum Resident
#53 Old 11th Feb 2009 at 9:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by catrlgirl
Wow am I the only one who like the way they look? I had no idea the response to the new TS3 look was so negative. I expected at least some people to like it. I guess I'm the odd one out.

I like almost everything else I've heard about the game (or am at least intrigued by it), but the look of the sims themselves just has not grown on me.
Instructor
#54 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 1:40 PM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about! LOL I can clearly see differences in ALL the faces posted! I adore the sims 3 faces, much much more so than the sims 2 faces (which I ended up using default template replacements for because the faces were so wild and unrealistic)... Sims 3 looks to me like they are leaning towards realism (as Thrior said).

I'm glad they look different. This is going to be a different game than the sims 1 and the sims 2. I would have been upset to see screenshots showing the sims from the new game looking like something old-hat (if this makes any sense at all).

The link to the picture of the witch is the perfect example of how sims can look unique. I certainly found her green-skinned, hook-noosed, thin-lipped scowling face to be particularily unique.

Maybe some of the problem is that the sims you're looking at are sims you would never create yourselves. Of course the game would feel uncustomized and impersonal when it's not your own sims you're looking at. I know I don't particularily care for any of the sims I've seen so far (except maybe two of them) and I can't wait to get my hands on the game so that I can start filling a town with sims I made myself.

Try not to be too down on the game before it even is released! Hopefully they'll follow in the footsteps of the Sims 2 and release a version of bodyshop a few months before the game so we can all have a chance to try it out and see once and for all whether or not this feature is any good.
Field Researcher
#55 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 1:54 PM
Still wish the eyes were not so "flat-looking" though.
Instructor
#56 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 2:22 PM
that much I can understand. Most simmers use custom content eyes for that exact reason wih the sims 2. :P
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 6:48 PM
http://thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/home.jsp

Anyone brought attachen to Shtinky's Creators' Camp Showcase? I may have nightmares after seeing Shtinky's "most unique Sims".
Mad Poster
#58 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 9:53 PM
The old cowboy guy looks funny. I like the Shtinky sim though, hope they'll put her in game.
#59 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 10:34 PM
Yeah ... I think that those examples from Shtinky should certain put to rest any fears about facial customization.

And it certainly doesn't look to me like their eyes are all the same shape. Some of them have eyes that are flat on the bottom. Some of them have eyes that are more oval shaped. Others have eyes that are more feline.
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 13th Feb 2009 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
The old cowboy guy looks funny.

Actually, I think it's a woman.

Quote:
Shtinky’s Sim Lila Loofer won the award for most unfortunate Sim at the content creator’s camp and if you check out the Screenshot below you can see why!

http://thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/e...Shtinky#Shtinky
Field Researcher
#61 Old 13th Feb 2009 at 2:59 AM
Yeah. Definitely a woman.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 13th Feb 2009 at 3:23 AM
I sorta think the same, their eyes is what makes them almost look alike, and their expression when they sneer................ I think it just look sorta annoying to me.

I was hoping when I (maybe) get this game I would be able to make different Sims, and hey, there's no thing as custom content yet for TS3 xD
Field Researcher
#63 Old 13th Feb 2009 at 8:22 PM
Yup. I think that's why Shtinky won that contest for the most unfortunate sim. :D
#64 Old 4th Mar 2009 at 10:34 PM
I think most all of us (including me!) are waaaay to used to CC that makes all our sims look too good to be real. Sure, there are awesome creators like Bp that make sims with little to no cc, but many (including me) aren't that good at it. If you erase your whole downloads folder, I guarentee you that all your models will not look so amazing and you will be stuck using face 1 since it is the only one that doesn't make you gag. I know; I've tried!
Think of pug-faced and tucan-nosed townies that walk by your model sims house all the time. Those are the REAL sims 2 sims. With the sims 3 -unless they put Lila in haha- the townies that you encounter will not look like freaks. And as Lila proves, unique sims CAN be made. CC will probably be made, and we will all get to enjoy the game with pretty simmies.
Oh, and I don't think they all look alike. As mentioned, the same person might have made most of the sims. So don't complain! We won't know until we get the game.
Test Subject
#65 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 5:44 AM
I don't like the S3 Sims to be honest...They look kind of weird, and I only find one or two Sims pretty...(from what I've seen so far).
Meh, we'll see...
Field Researcher
#66 Old 13th Mar 2009 at 7:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShortyBoo
The sims do look like they're made of clay. They remind me of the characters in shows like Moral Orel, like that clay stop-motion look. I was hoping they'd look more realistic, like the characters in Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors or GTA IV. They look realistic, but enough like video game characters where it doesn't look like a live action movie or show. I hope that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense to me, I had the same hopes.
Even these 'unique sims' have a look of 'sameness' about them. I'm not sure what it is, maybe it's because they all look so doll-like and lack facial details? They all have these airbrushed, flat, bland faces. Giving them Pinocchio noses, Dumbo ears and slanted eyes won't change this, they still have this blandness about them. I think this is what makes them look alike, even when made different.
Instructor
#67 Old 13th Mar 2009 at 1:55 PM
I love the cartoony look of them. I think realistic sims are kinda creepy.
#68 Old 13th Mar 2009 at 3:23 PM
In Sims2 if you make a couple of sims and for each one choose the first options on eyes, face shape, nose, mouth, etcetera, you'll end up with very similar sims.

I think that's the problem with these girls… they're some person's work and that person picked up the first choices and change them a little bit, but not much, just enough. It's not like a player creating his/her favourite sims. It's someone at work, rushing.

Or so I hope :D
Mad Poster
#69 Old 22nd Mar 2009 at 1:09 AM
I think these sims don't appeal to me because of their skin tone. It's very flat and shaded unnaturally - or maybe too uniformly - around the nose and mouth. The faces are too broad as if the features are all squeezed in the middle. I do hope these are only similar because one or two Ea people made them and not because the templates are so limited.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 22nd Mar 2009 at 8:04 PM
Why is everyone so negative about how they look I love them they look amazingly clean/ Plus they move very fluidly. The only thing I don't like is the eyes. (I use custon eyes.) I don't use very much CC and thye look ten times better than the sim 2 sims. Thier bodies are much more customizable and unique and I am sure you cna change the faces to be as wierd or as out there as you like. It seems most people want the sims to look wildly different but the creators don't have the time to put that much effort into the sims they are making for the displays.
Field Researcher
#71 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 8:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by catrlgirl
Why is everyone so negative about how they look I love them they look amazingly clean/ Plus they move very fluidly.

It's exactely that 'clean-ness' that make them look cartoony and bland/too much alike. How they move is not the issue here.
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 4:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wycked
It's exactely that 'clean-ness' that make them look cartoony and bland/too much alike. How they move is not the issue here.

I really don't understand this. Didn't The Sims 2 look cartoony and bland? That is your opinion I guess, but I think The Sims 3 looks a lot better than The Sims 2.
Mad Poster
#73 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 12:14 AM
I'm a "face" person. I notice faces, remember faces and rarely think about how the sims' body animates or if there's variety in body sizes and types. Yeah, if I think about it, the elbows are awkward and the legs too, so I guess in that way Sims 3 will be better. And I guess the differing body types will be a plus for many prople. But I like realistic, unique looking faces. I want my high cheekbones and cc cheek shadows, custom eyes and freckles. I'll probably wait to see if cc is possible before I actually start playing the game. I'll buy it and put it on the shelf for a while.
Page 3 of 3