Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 11:25 AM
Default The laptop pictured in a new IGN screenshot.
Snooty Sims posted this screenshot from IGN of a sim using a laptop.

http://snootysims.com/thesims3/screens/thesims3-128.jpg

But why does the laptop have a mouse and mousepad and also why are the keyboard and trackpad in different places than they would usually be?

Well the mouse and mousepad isn't too questionable, i mean some people do take their mouses with them when they use their laptops out and about. But the trackpad being at the back and not the front is the real question.

The reason it's like this is, I think, because they've taken the sims 2 animations and dropped them into the sims 3. The sims 3 using the laptop is the same animation as they had in the sims 2 for using the computer. That's the reason for the sims having a mouse (and mouse pad to make it higher) and the keyboard at the front, rather than further back.

If this is the case, it's a problem because here they are trying to convince me to buy a new game and what they're doing is taking animations from a game i've already bought from them and putting it into this new game, instead of making new stuff for it. It really cheapens the game.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 11:35 AM
Ha, ha, didn't notice that. Maybe they're trying to suggest to the computer manufacturers a new laptop design, cool looking but really difficult to use.
#3 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 1:11 PM
It's a pretty ugly laptop. The mouse is ugly too. It's like they didn't try too hard to make it look nice. I think the reason there is a mouse, and the reason for the trackpad being where it is is so they can use the same animation for both desktops and laptops, which is really lazy, imo.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 2:53 PM
um, you're thinking about not getting the game because the laptop isn't realistic enough for you? I would think that maybe they designed like that to make new mesh easier. I can't stand it now when I use a CC laptop and sims are moving a mouse that is not there. we are overlooking the fact that we now have laptops in the game. it maybe lazy programming but it is still a new object.

"I'm too booty-licious for ya, babe!"
Check out my DND Designs
Instructor
#5 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 3:47 PM
That is awful design and lazy of them not to create separate animations for desktop and laptop.
#6 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 5:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by andru
That is awful design and lazy of them not to create separate animations for desktop and laptop.

that pretty much sums up eaxis - lazy :eviltongu
Test Subject
#7 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 5:29 PM
Default Graphics aren't different, oh no....
I mean really, are you serious??? To worry about graphics being different from the desktop to the laptop is ridiculous and to call EA lazy is a bit unfair, we have no idea what all of this entails. Seeing that neither I nor a lot of others are game developers, we don't have the right to say what's easy to do or not. Them putting their hard workd and effort into what seems to be a GREAT game should be enough. Personally, I think the new laptops are great and gives the sims alittle more freedom from what we had before.
Alchemist
#8 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 5:39 PM
Remember that the laptop may still be in the beta stage.. They might change designs completley.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 5:56 PM
Yeah, hope they do that. Also, it would be nice if the laptop actually behaved like a laptop and sims would be able to pull it out and place in their lap when in the park or at the coffeeshop.
Stupid people are stupid
#10 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 6:35 PM
I don't think EA is lazy by using the same animation for different items. Why wouldn't they? Do you really think they will make different animations for each and every object? That would make the game incredibly expensive.

And the mouse? How many laptop users actually use the mousepad? I never use it, rather plug in a normal mouse. The mousepad is a hassle to use, normal mouse is much easier.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 7:32 PM
Yes, it's probably because they want to fit the animations they use with desktop. Lazy, but not a dealbreaker by itself by any means. However, it hints of other laziness that we haven't seen yet. What other corners have they cut like this?

I hoped they'd made some cool procedural thing to adjust the animations for things like this, but I guess that was way too optimistic.

A lurking translator who goes stealthily converting text strings into finnish when he feels like doing that, which is very rarely.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 7:44 PM
Dios mio! Really people why be so surprised about reused animations now when we have already seen reused animation in earlier videos? I have also seen tons of new stuff and the reused animations are a lot smoother this time around than in The Sims 2.
Also we have create-a-style now so we can change all of EAs tacky looking color choices into something we like. Seriously, there's no reason to get that upset.
Instructor
#13 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 8:11 PM
It's not so much the reusing of the animation that bothers me, it's common sense to reuse something that is already available to you. It's efficient, saves you time and money.

It's the fact they slaughtered the laptop's design to the point of making sure it's the same size as a desktop, including a mouse and switching the keyboard and mousepad around in order to match the desktop animation they've reused. It's a peculiar design and aesthetically it is odd.

I do wonder if there will be any other flaws like that because they reused old animations on an object that has different functionality and design.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 8:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kustirider2
Remember that the laptop may still be in the beta stage.. They might change designs completley.

That's what I was thinking.

Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Also, it would be nice if the laptop actually behaved like a laptop and sims would be able to pull it out and place in their lap when in the park or at the coffeeshop.

In the IGN video it said that the Sim could take his laptop to community places, I guess in the same way that Sims can take their guitars with them.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by el_flel
In the IGN video it said that the Sim could take his laptop to community places, I guess in the same way that Sims can take their guitars with them.

Ah that's good news! Guess it makes up for the rather ugly laptop, but I'm sure we'll get more than just the one shown at some point, through custom content or expansions, or heck, maybe even in the base game.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 9:43 PM
I've actually seen a laptop where the trackpad was at the top. It was difficult to get used to and it felt weird. LOL

I don't mind the design of the laptop or that they're reusing the animation from the desktop computer. I'm just happy there's laptops now.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Field Researcher
#17 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 10:07 PM
I love how the laptop screen is reflected in glasses, as the new AI video showed. Pretty!!
Mad Poster
#18 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by el_flel
That's what I was thinking.

Most of my Sims2 sims carry their desktops in their inventory and only place them on a table when they need to use them. They get a computer and I don't get to see them constantly trying to play SSX on it. Somehow I get the feeling that's how that IGN preview laptop si going to behave too. It's huge for a laptop and, considering they've reused the desktop animation, it probably won't have a folding top either. And because they come with a mouse and pad attached, they are only going to be able to use them on tables, which makes them pointless and the sims could actually pull out of their inventory their desktop and have the same functionality. And yes, I know that sims can use all of their inventory now when on community lots. Which may actually cause lots of sims to bring their old desktops to community lots if they don't happen to own a "laptop".
Field Researcher
#19 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 6:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GottaBeAndrew
If this is the case, it's a problem because here they are trying to convince me to buy a new game and what they're doing is taking animations from a game i've already bought from them and putting it into this new game, instead of making new stuff for it. It really cheapens the game.

Yeah, I second that. I had been looking forwards to new animations all around in Sims 3, but it seems that they are re-using many of the animations from Sims 2. I was especially disappointed at seeing the same dance moves in the new game. And I agree that the laptop looks weird and not very pleasing to the eye.
Stupid people are stupid
#20 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 7:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wycked
Yeah, I second that. I had been looking forwards to new animations all around in Sims 3, but it seems that they are re-using many of the animations from Sims 2. I was especially disappointed at seeing the same dance moves in the new game. And I agree that the laptop looks weird and not very pleasing to the eye.

Okay, so you want a totally new game? No animations used from other games at all? That means they need to make everything entirely new. Now you go out to play in the yard while EA takes a few years to try and make a totally new game engine.

Seriously guys. If you don't want to see reused animations, expect a delay of a few years and expect to pay at least 150 dollar for a totally new game!

Reusing animations is what all game developers do. It costs a hell of a lot of money to make custom animations. You can't expect them to make all new animations with every game.

And you think it's cheap to reuse animations? Of course it is. That's what makes the game less expensive. But since you guys are happy to pay a lot more for a game.... Come on EA! Delay TS3 for a few years and make all new animations. There are a lot of people in this thread who are happy to pay a lot more for the game then it already costs now.
Test Subject
#21 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 8:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GottaBeAndrew
Snooty Sims posted this screenshot from IGN of a sim using a laptop.

<snip cause i cant post links>

But why does the laptop have a mouse and mousepad and also why are the keyboard and trackpad in different places than they would usually be?

Well the mouse and mousepad isn't too questionable, i mean some people do take their mouses with them when they use their laptops out and about. But the trackpad being at the back and not the front is the real question.

The reason it's like this is, I think, because they've taken the sims 2 animations and dropped them into the sims 3. The sims 3 using the laptop is the same animation as they had in the sims 2 for using the computer. That's the reason for the sims having a mouse (and mouse pad to make it higher) and the keyboard at the front, rather than further back.

Ok lets see. How long does it take you to build a usable computer, with all the menu buttons and animations, but it also has to work. Try to do this with over 1000 items. Now you see its not so easy, and it will takes years. Ea would have to do that if they made new meshes and animations. Not to mention everything else in the game, thats just a part of it. But it still would be nice...
Instructor
#22 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 12:59 PM
I don't honestly see anything wrong with the laptops. They look just fine to me! I'm excited they included them at all, since the only laptops you could get in ts2 were CC... half the time my sims would end up typing off the keyboard, and using an invisi-mouse...

I have yet to see something about ts3 that I don't like!
Mad Poster
#23 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 2:01 PM
Yes, but they aren't exactly laptops if you can only use them while placed on a table.
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 2:38 PM
Scientific studies have shown that using a laptop on the lap can cause low sperm count in males. Maybe EA doesn't want the poor male Sims having to go through that? :P

Besides, doesn't most people place their laptop on a flat surface while working anyway? Whether you are at the library, or in a lecture hall, or at a cafe, you still usually use a flat surface!

And I absolutely hate the mousepad on laptops. Give me a mouse anyday!

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Test Subject
#25 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 2:38 PM
In this case, Maxis didn't do anything that hasn't been done by Sims 2 CC creators. So I can see where GottaBeAndrew is coming from. While it's obviously not a deal breaker and is a small thing in the grand scheme of things (what with the open neighborhood and the new trait system practically making many things forgiveable at this stage) - it is disappointing in that Maxis couldn't do better than volunteer meshers from the Sims community.

Right now, my sims don't need sims 3 to enjoy using the laptops in the community lots - with the right hack that allows access to the inventory while at community lots, my sims are able to bring their CC laptops to cafes / parks and work on their novels for example ... so in this case, a new experience is not introduced. YMMV of course.

Currently playing HP's Uber Megahood - check out http://simstate.wordpress.com
Page 1 of 2