Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jan 2005 at 6:49 PM
Default Object Recolor Conflicts (Testing Results?)
Since it has been a few months since the onset of object recoloring, I thought I would take a look at the status of my game. I had received messages about some of the recolors vanishing from game and I felt I should look into it.

I have about 3100 object recolors in my game. Of those recolors, I estimate about 500 of them actually show up. The majority of my original creations have vanished from site. Many of the objects I am downloading are now showing up as blue blinking objects and for the most part things are pretty much a mess.

I myself am planning on remaking my objects using object workshop, to see if that clears up the problems with my own recolors. My guess is that recolor artists are using other people's objects as a base and not creating the new recolor correctly and breaking the older versions. Since people are putting these objects out in mass production, each new set breaks more and more of the older sets. A real headache for the original creator of the recolor since they are now being contacted to fix objects that others have broken and in the future will end up fixing again as yet more recolors are based off their items. (See where I am going with this?)

I know there has been a few requests for a filecop program, and I was curious as to if anything like this was in the making. Something to scan the .package files and check for conflicts between objects. Another idea is to actually add a function to SimPE to validate the new file against the creators existing recolors, or against the object that was used as a base.

I had thought of setting up a clean Sims install to initially test the new objects, but realized that many of these work correctly until they are introduced into the game with the rest of the existing objects. At that point trying to determine which files are conflicting is a very time consuming process.

So for now, any thoughts, suggestions or ideas? Tips or tricks that others are using to keep a handle on this? Or, am I the only one who is crazy enough to download over 3000 recolors?

D

My downloads folder (13,500 files and counting)
2000 walls and floors waiting for a multi sims2package installer to be created.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 9th Jan 2005 at 8:09 PM
Never change the name of the package with objects that was created with OW.
the blue blinking will happen if you do this.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 9th Jan 2005 at 8:16 PM
There's Pinhead! Hi there! Did you have good hoildays?

Why does changing the outer file name affect the inner file?
Instructor
#4 Old 9th Jan 2005 at 8:23 PM
Hi MutantBunny!

Well, OW use the custom creation group ID (0xffffffff). This ID show to the game that it need to read the HASH value with the name and set this HASH as a group.

The hash is created by the name of the package. So, if you change the name of the package, you will need to change all the hashes inside the package to match with the new name.

I don't have sure why this happens. This is my theory.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 9th Jan 2005 at 8:34 PM
Well, that makes sense.

I have changed a few names--but not sure which ones I have changed! Whenever I dl something new tho--I always run SimPE scan on the downloads folder and check for good/bad files. All my downloads seem to be ok so far.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Jan 2005 at 9:09 PM
I never change any of the names of anything I download, so that shouldn't be the problem. Of course it looks like TSR renames everything, so they might be the root of all my problems. (hmm going to look into that.)
My rosebud collection is disapearing piece by piece, as well as a few others that I have uploaded to the site. The objects that I never uploaded are not having any problems at all. All of the items that are vanishing were created the original, long method. Not with object workshop and the flashing files are recolors that I have downloaded very recently.

I have pulled all my wallpaper, floors and clothing out of my downloads directory to speed up the loading of my game and now I am going to go searching through all the files to identify exactly what is happening. I wish I knew enough about working with the files to write a program to do this, but unfortunately I am at a loss at decrypting the contents of package files.
Back to playing detective I go.

Oh.. and Hi Pinhead!! :howdy:

D
Instructor
#7 Old 9th Jan 2005 at 9:32 PM
Well, i just said what could be a problem with objects that were created by OW and be blue flashing objects.

If you said that even with the old method to recolors you have problem, maybe you forgot to change something.. i don't have a clue what could be the problem if i never get this problem.

Yep, TSR change the names of the packages but i think that they not change anymore. So, maybe you get some recolors (those were blinking) that was changed the name after created. You can try recreate the package by your own and test it if will work.

and Hi, dhevynstarr!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Jan 2005 at 10:02 PM
You were definitely onto something there. At least now I know what was causing all the flashing recolors. My problem recolors are from the TSR site.
I looked through everything that started with TSR and then found a few that were created with OW and as you suggested they were bad. I fixed the hash and the recolors worked. (I think the one that I used as a test actually looked better as a flashing blue bed though.)

Now to just figure out what is causing the older recolors to disappear from game. Back I go .. and Thanks!

D
Test Subject
#9 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 6:30 AM
Hmmmm. I've heard a lot of people mention the flashing blue objects, but the speculation was there were too many (ie, there was a limit to the number). But nice to hear the real reason
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 4:31 PM
I found the problem with the changing table. (Actually the person reporting the problem found the culprit) Someone made a changing table using mine as the base and didn't change the hash number in the material override section which ended up breaking mine. Pretty much what I was expecting to find.

Maybe there should be one more thing added to the object workshop terms of use agreement. Something to state all objects made with it to be labeled as such and a warning about renaming the files be given with the recolors.

At this point, I personally would prefer to download objects created with OW, than to download one that was manually created by users just so I know that the existing objects won't get broken. (or at least alot lower chance of it.) It would be nice to know which way an object is created without having to open each package file and look.

I guess it is time to brush up on my .NET skills and see if I can figure out how to read in .package files. At least enough to get the basic information of the few fields I want to validate.

D
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#11 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 4:55 PM
I also download from TSR and a handful of other sites, and so does this mean I have to go through all my objects and fix them, too? I have downloaded so much but have not had the time to put them into the game to test (it's because I can't stop downloading to stop and test) so I don't know if any of them flash blue (but I know that one did get overwritten).

Can someone put a quick tutorial to go about fixing this? If it's just the means of fixing the hash, then the fix should be easy and I can probably go through all of them rather quickly. I don't use SimPE, and the version I have on my computer is really outdated. Thanks in advance!
Test Subject
#12 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 5:09 PM Last edited by [email protected] : 10th Jan 2005 at 5:10 PM. Reason: no signature and wanting to subscribe to thread
Is there any way to put our downloads into files to organize them, I have a hugh downloads folder and its really a mess. I don't know which files are which so finding out which ones are blinking and which ones to get rid of is difficult. I would like to be able to put these into folders that my game can still access but then I can see which ones are messing up.. thanks for your help
I will always be me

I will Always be Me
Always Holly
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#13 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 5:19 PM
I started early - so all my files belong in the correct subfolder. The only ones that are still unsorted are ones that come with lots since the Maxis installer renames those files to that lovely alphanumeric garbage and I can't tell what's what with those names. I suggest to start organizing them now, with your new downloads, and as soon as someone is able to get us a real quick tutorial to inspect the existing packages for those hash numbers, then we can probably start tackling what's already out there.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 5:45 PM
I have some of mine organized, but now I think I am going to pull everything out and then add them as I want to use them. Even though they are organized, it is difficult to notice when one bed goes missing, when you have 30 or more bed style selections. What makes it worse is there is no way to check without waiting for the game to load over and over. I do have alot of TSR objects that I do need to fix. I wonder if just removing the prefix will fix them. Does anyone know?

D
Test Subject
#15 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 7:14 PM
Thanks for the advice... since I have saved all of my zip files I think I will start with a fresh install and then sort the zip files into sections before unzipping them. I know that there are some files that cannot be read if they are in sub-folders inside the downloads folder and there are some that are fine. Can anyone tell me which ones the game will read in sub folders. :confused: Thanks a bunch

I will Always be Me
Always Holly
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#16 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 8:41 PM
You can put hacks, objects, recolors, floors, and walls in subfolders. You can not put clothing and genetics in subfolders. They have to be in the main Downloads directory.
Firestarter
#17 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 9:21 PM
The TSR stuff has been bugging me for awhile, not just because they rename the files, but because people test their stuff here, then put the same file on TSR without changing the hash or anything, so you get a duplicate of the file under a different name with the same hash if you're not careful and I think that alone can cause problems. TSR is being irresponsible and so are the people posting there who don't change their own files.
Instructor
#18 Old 10th Jan 2005 at 9:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dhevynstarr
I found the problem with the changing table. (Actually the person reporting the problem found the culprit) Someone made a changing table using mine as the base and didn't change the hash number in the material override section which ended up breaking mine. Pretty much what I was expecting to find.

Maybe there should be one more thing added to the object workshop terms of use agreement. Something to state all objects made with it to be labeled as such and a warning about renaming the files be given with the recolors.

At this point, I personally would prefer to download objects created with OW, than to download one that was manually created by users just so I know that the existing objects won't get broken. (or at least alot lower chance of it.) It would be nice to know which way an object is created without having to open each package file and look.

I guess it is time to brush up on my .NET skills and see if I can figure out how to read in .package files. At least enough to get the basic information of the few fields I want to validate.

D

I know that some people don't realized that the process have to be made all again if you use a object from other creator as a base. Some people don't understand that and i'm really regretful for give this advice to show an easy way to find the right files to do the recolors. :lonely:
I think that if you like to share, you have to create with right procedure and make sure that you made it right...

So, i'm relly sorry that this happened with you.

About the packages information to develop some tools, you can use the Wiki to learn more about it.
Test Subject
#19 Old 11th Jan 2005 at 12:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daysies
You can put hacks, objects, recolors, floors, and walls in subfolders. You can not put clothing and genetics in subfolders. They have to be in the main Downloads directory.

Thank you so very much for your help.. this will help clean up my downloads folder.

So now could you tell me if make up is considered part of the genetics???
Sorry, gotta ask.

Thanks for your help

I will Always be Me
Always Holly
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 11th Jan 2005 at 3:14 AM
As far as I know, yes, makeup is part of "genetics" and can't be put into subfolders.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 11th Jan 2005 at 4:18 AM
Thanks Pinhead,

I have been looking at the Wiki but it all looks like greek to me. My programming specialty is primarily database, web application and client\server stuff.. so getting into decrypting the package files makes me feel like I am over my head. I was just starting to dig into Sims1 files when Sims2 came out.

I figured out a solution to the problem. If it causes a problem, delete it!! That will give me an initial clean up and then when I realize something is missing I can go find it and then figure out what is wrong with it.

I did pull out all my TSR files and all but 3 of my problem files vanished. Happily, pretty much everything that I downloaded from MTS2 caused no problems.

I probably still have missing objects, but not alot I can do other than spending a month adding them one at a time. I will find them all, eventually.

Back I go for the final cleanup and to look a bit more at the wiki.

D
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#22 Old 11th Jan 2005 at 5:21 AM
I finally played the game some tonight (spent most of the time refurnishing so I can look at all my downloaded recolors) and I found so many that were just blue or "invisible." I went ahead and deleted them. I figure, if I can't tell what they are, there's no use trying to find out what they were to begin with! All is not lost anyway. There'll always be more downloads and I can make do with what I have. I've only touched the tip of the iceberg with these downloads anyway. My eyes were starting to cross so I had to stop.

Lynnspayne - An easy way to figure out what goes directly in Downloads is anything that you put together in Body Shop - i.e. hair, makeup, clothes, skins, etc. Anything else can safely go into a subfolder within Downloads.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 11th Jan 2005 at 6:33 AM
I don't get many invisible or flashing objects at all, with maybe hmm...500 or so beta downloads? Maybe because 95% are from here.

I do get disappearing objects, though. My "rosebud" nursery set, one of the early ones, is disappearing bit by bit (I think I only have the crib now,) and also, a whole set of desk chairs, maybe 8 of them, showed up fine in my catalog at first, and are now gone. I figured all this was due to my glitchy game, though...I'm still not sure.

Suzanne/ Crow Ridge Studio
Field Researcher
#24 Old 11th Jan 2005 at 6:51 AM
Actually Suzanne, it could be because there are creators out there taking short cuts and the problem of the now 'objects in the wild' problem. I just spend several hours figuring out what was making this happenin another persons games since it was not happening to mine. I had them zip up all their downloads and send then to me and I replaced my download directory with theirs and I found 2 things

1. This is the big one. Apparenly some people are finding it easier to take someone elses package an rename the package itself and cahnge the file name inside between the hashes but NOTHING else(thinking this will make it different) and then changing the texture texture. I opened these in SimPE to find that the hashes, family values and ID's were never touched so depending on which is the last file read by the game it will 'overwrite' the other one with the same hashes, ID's etc. Its intersting that you point out your nursery because several of your rosebud pieces have been used in that way - if you have the set that did this - it would be blocking yours from showing. I will send you the name of the set by PM - removing it should solve that problem.

2) Creators are uploading incomplete or test or in work object in lots. Apparently when creating packages or working on ones people do this in there downloads and they get picked up in the sim2pack and delivered to the world. Especially causing problems are people who have created packages either as in 1) or using the Pinhead tutorial and these packages are in various states of being edited and not complete - but since some of the package has been not been changed it causes conflicks and missing tetxures. Some of these even appear to have been 'false starts' that were abandoned and never cleaned up even though the person finally create and object that was working and distributed it. Since some of these use the same names and hashes they then end up causing conflicts.

Hopefully, the community installer will come to fruitation and when obejcts are installed in your game it will be checking for and preventing conflicts - and we will see less problems
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#25 Old 11th Jan 2005 at 9:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dhevynstarr

Well I think people are making mistakes through ignorance rather than carelessness. We're right near the top of the pyramid time-wise at the moment. The tools have been made by technically-gifted people, and the instructions they give are suitable for technically-competent people. We're still waiting for the technically-competent people to write instructions for technically-literate people who in turn can make a tutorial for generally-literate people who can then populate forums and chat to advise people of all levels who want to recolour regardless of mental status.

PS I downloaded one bedcover - my only user-made bedcover ever, and suddenly I have about 5 more I didn't download!!
Page 1 of 2