Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jun 2010 at 11:11 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Showtime, Supernatural
Default Cache files keep coming back
Under my:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3

Are 4 cache files (with the helper monkey icon). I'm under the assumption that those are the cache files I'm supposed to delete since ambitions came out. When ever I play the game again they keep coming back. Is this bad?
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Jun 2010 at 12:04 AM
They're meant to come back. A cache file is a file that holds some of the data used by the game, like how the outfits of various sims are put together, so that the game doesn't have to figure it all out from scratch again whenever it starts up. When you clear the caches, the game regenerates all that data (thereby getting rid of any issues caused by mistakes in the cached data), and remakes the cache files.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#3 Old 20th Feb 2016 at 2:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
They're meant to come back. A cache file is a file that holds some of the data used by the game, like how the outfits of various sims are put together, so that the game doesn't have to figure it all out from scratch again whenever it starts up. When you clear the caches, the game regenerates all that data (thereby getting rid of any issues caused by mistakes in the cached data), and remakes the cache files.

but in order to install a mod i have to have them deleted?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 20th Feb 2016 at 3:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AudreyPH
but in order to install a mod i have to have them deleted?

Not necessarily, but deleting them is seldom a bad idea. They'll be recreated by the game as needed.

Also, you're replying to a nearly 6-year-old post.

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right
Site Helper
#5 Old 21st Feb 2016 at 12:18 AM
IIRC The idea behind deleting caches after installing (or removing) a mod is so that data in the cache will not conflict with the presence (or absence) of the mod. It's primarily a precaution.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook