Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 6:20 PM Last edited by Celoptra : 6th Nov 2013 at 8:46 PM.
Default Should Disabilities be include in the sims?
http://poll.pollcode.com/742113

I'm doing background research before I start writing to organizations.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 6:34 PM
Disabilities, you mean?

Wouldn't mind having things like working wheelchairs or crutches and the like. Plastered legs and armswould be nice, too. Maybe hearing aids as accessories. Simple things like that, so it would be easier to play around with it for storytelling. I'd love to have it in my game, that's for sure.

I guess it depends on how far it is taken, and what exactly you put in the word "disabled". It can apply to major disabilities that makes someone wheelchair bound and fully in need of help with everything, or other things like being blind, deaf, or having learning difficulties. It can also be congenital disabilities that affects how a person walks, talks or functions in other ways, all from birth, or it can be aquired disabilities from disease or accidents. There are at least several thousands of different disabilities, and it certainly wouldn't be possible to include all of them in a sims game.

There are also things to think about when it comes to practicality ingame. Would the sims randomly be born with a disability, or could you add it in CAS? What if someone doesn't want their sims to be disabled at all? Would there be an option for no disabilities? Also, would wheeled sims need houses on one floor, or would elevators do the trick? Would they be able to train themselves to a normal function (like learning to walk by physiotherapy), or would they be stuck in the state? How would it affect the sims to be deaf, or blind? And the list goes on. To keep it short, there would also be a lot of extra animation to do, which would add a big workload for the makers of the game. The question is if it's worth it or not. It might do for an EP (if they added an hospital-themed EP of some sort, I'd be one of the first to buy it), but I'm doubtful they would make one. I certainly don't think they would add it to a baegame.

Maybe we'll just have to make do with single crutches for elders (TS3) and glasses...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Disabilities, you mean?

Wouldn't mind having things like working wheelchairs or crutches and the like. Plastered legs and armswould be nice, too. Maybe hearing aids as accessories. Simple things like that, so it would be easier to play around with it for storytelling. I'd love to have it in my game, that's for sure.

I guess it depends on how far it is taken, and what exactly you put in the word "disabled". It can apply to major disabilities that makes someone wheelchair bound and fully in need of help with everything, or other things like being blind, deaf, or having learning difficulties. It can also be congenital disabilities that affects how a person walks, talks or functions in other ways, all from birth, or it can be aquired disabilities from disease or accidents. There are at least several thousands of different disabilities, and it certainly wouldn't be possible to include all of them in a sims game.

There are also things to think about when it comes to practicality ingame. Would the sims randomly be born with a disability, or could you add it in CAS? What if someone doesn't want their sims to be disabled at all? Would there be an option for no disabilities? Also, would wheeled sims need houses on one floor, or would elevators do the trick? Would they be able to train themselves to a normal function (like learning to walk by physiotherapy), or would they be stuck in the state? How would it affect the sims to be deaf, or blind? And the list goes on. To keep it short, there would also be a lot of extra animation to do, which would add a big workload for the makers of the game. The question is if it's worth it or not. It might do for an EP (if they added an hospital-themed EP of some sort, I'd be one of the first to buy it), but I'm doubtful they would make one. I certainly don't think they would add it to a baegame.

Maybe we'll just have to make do with single crutches for elders (TS3) and glasses...

Thanks for the feedback. I know all about that information It just this is a poll so I know um how much divided the two camps are (for/against and in the middle-if you get my drift)? Its something I'm doing so I have lke some statistics for when I write to wheelchair organizations or to make a reply on a developer's blog.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#4 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 8:54 PM
This thread again?

Look, it just isn't feasible. Sims with disabilities would have to be classified as a distinct life-state, to differentiate them from regular sims. Or at the very least, a template, like how the zombies work. Since we all know how EA handles those, it probably is best if they don't attempt it.

Also, remember how the Strollers from Generations work, when a sim needs to go up a hill? Now, imagine a wheelchair-bound individual trying to do the same thing. This is just one example.

I have no issue with the desire to include disabilities in the game, it's just the implementation would be a disaster. It isn't just a matter of making a lot of extra animations, it involves a whole lot more than that. And as has been said, there is no way to include them all, so inevitably someone out there would raise a stink about how suchandsuch wasn't included.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims
This thread again?

Look, it just isn't feasible. Sims with disabilities would have to be classified as a distinct life-state, to differentiate them from regular sims. Or at the very least, a template, like how the zombies work. Since we all know how EA handles those, it probably is best if they don't attempt it.

Also, remember how the Strollers from Generations work, when a sim needs to go up a hill? Now, imagine a wheelchair-bound individual trying to do the same thing. This is just one example.

I have no issue with the desire to include disabilities in the game, it's just the implementation would be a disaster. It isn't just a matter of making a lot of extra animations, it involves a whole lot more than that. And as has been said, there is no way to include them all, so inevitably someone out there would raise a stink about how suchandsuch wasn't included.

and this isn't about including disablties into the SIMS 3. Its about future Sims games (not Sims 4, but maybe Sims 5, 6, 8th,etc . So that hill argument is out. Just vote you don't want and go on your way.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 9:27 PM
Why would writing to wheelchair organisations influence what EA choose to put in Sims 5?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 9:29 PM
Because a simmer Jarise9 is always telling pro-disablties in Sims people to write to some wheelchair organizations if we are 'really' serious about wanting disabltiies in the Sims and to see what/if they respond back.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 9:43 PM
Oh, so it will help because some random person on the internet says it will? Sounds legit!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 9:49 PM
Jarise9's words:

"apparently nobody in the past replies cared enough about the idea to start a letter-writing campaign over it (yes, I'm talking snail mail here), and talk is cheap."

"This is what frustrates me about this thread. People are all gung-ho for EA to do this, but when I dared to suggest a letter writing campaign, people started backing off in droves."
Mad Poster
#10 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 10:14 PM
There are people who would be interested in these features (but certainly not all, and therein lies one of the problems), but I seriously doubt a writing campaign will help for anything EA-related. They don't listen to players, and they certainly won't bother with letter campaigns. If it had been the original Maxis, there just might have been a teensy-weensy possibility that they might have considered it. But come on, it's EA we're talking about here! They gave us burrito-babies, teleporting into any vehicle, and sorta-working strollers that can't even go uphill on their last try.

Might as well send bottle messages by sea, for all they'll care about it.

Besides, TS4 is almost ready. I'm pretty sure they'll not add this to the basegame, and I have very strong doubts regarding EPs. As for TS2, they've given it up, and TS3 is in the final stages of EPs.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#11 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 10:24 PM
I can't imagine a letter-writing campaign would do anything, even if it were fairly dramatic in number. Because adding such a thing to the game is not simply a matter of wanting to do it really bad, but kind of crazy difficult from a technical standpoint, and I just can't see a way to fully implement it without it really being its own game. For a significant physical disability (say, requiring a wheelchair) you would need a whole new set of animations and probably other objects not just for moving around, but... how about washing hands in the sink? Using the toilet? Getting in and out of bed? Showering? Preparing food?

In order to not severely limit the playability of a sim like that, every item in the game would need an alternate set of animations - want your disabled sim to get a massage? They're going to need different animations to get on and off that massage table. Want them to get in a hot tub? How they do that would be very different from a sim that doesn't use a wheelchair. Homes would need ramps or lifts. Things that require lots of moving around - like tomb exploration in TS3: World Adventures would be... pretty difficult to make work (pushing statues, dive wells, mummy combat?). And it's not just the disabled sims themselves, but other sims' animations would have to change too - leaning down to kiss their girlfriend and so forth, instead of standing upright. Add in doing it for toddler/child/teen sims and you have a whole whack of stuff that has to be done in several ways for each and every thing.

Of course, in a way it underlines the difficulties faced by actual people who face those challenges IRL... but that doesn't make it any easier to make for a game, and as much as I think it would be a nice addition if they could do it properly, it is really not something that enough people would want THAT MUCH, especially when they're already crying about stuff like the lack of a proper EP to run your own business.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 10:40 PM Last edited by Celoptra : 6th Nov 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Neither Jarise or I were talking about a letter-writing campian just to EA. But to these organizations:

Muscular Dystrophy Association
Mutiple Sclerosis Foundation
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
United Cerebral Palsy Organization
Amytropic Lateral Scerlosis Association (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

and this is what I got from a Developer back in July (Ray Mazza-he's responsible in the Sims 3 for- "Sims 3 Pets: Lead Designer: Wrote initial designs for the majority of the game,: Horses & all horse objects
Cats & all cat objects
Various pet systems
Minor Pets: Snakes, Lizards, Rodents, Turtles, & Birds
Wildlife (including Unicorns & Deer)
The Sims 3 - Late Night (2010)
Lead Designer
Led the Design Team
Designed High-Rise Building System
Designed Hot Tubs, Elevators, FX Machines, Gobo Lights, Strobe Lights
Designed Spawners & New Collectibles
The Sims 3 - Ambitions (2010)
Lead Designer

Led the Design Team
Designed the Professions System
Designed Sculpting Skill & Procedural Sculpting System
Designed Laundry System (sounds exciting, but our fans loved it -- they'd been asking for laundry, washers, & dryers since Sims 1!)
Designed Laundromat & various community lot system updates
Designed new Collectibles & Spawners

The Sims 3 - World Adventures (2009)
Lead Designer

Led the Design Team
Designed Tomb Gameplay and Objects
Designed Level Scripting System
Designed 8 Tombs: Forgotten Burial Mound, Nectar Cellar, Dong Huo's Treasure Trove, Market Caverns, Dragon's Maw, The Great Sphinx, and The Great Pyramid, Pyramid of the Sky
Designed Basement Tool
Designed new Collectibles & Spawners

and the Base game
The Sims 3 (2009)
Co-Lead Designer

Designed Build Mode & Buy Mode
Designed Create-a-Sim & Character Traits
Designed Skills System
Designed Painting Skill, Cooking Skill, and Writing Skill
Designed Collecting (Butterflies, Beetles, Space Rocks, Gems, Metals)
UI Design for Build Mode, Buy Mode, and Create-a-Sim
Designed & coded the cooking system
Coded major gameplay prototypes)

But actual replies:
"That's an interesting question. Disabilities in The Sims could be fun and/or meaningful if we handled them carefully. Those ideas have come up. The hardest part about disabilities is that most of them would require tons of new animation and scripting -- maybe 10x what some other feature would cost. For example, if we wanted to have a wheelchair-bound Sim, we would have to make new animations for all of the touching social interactions (kiss, hug, greet, slap, fight, etc), new bathe animations, new bed get-ins, new ways to interact where other Sims would use chairs, and so on. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would probably require an expansion that has disabilities or health as a major component so that we'd be able to justify spending all the extra time there. Perhaps minor disabilities would be more feasible to implement. As a player, I'd personally love to see that kind of thing in The Sims!"

About a poll:
"That's the sort of thing that we might do if we were heavily considering it for a pack in the very near future. If it's just a more general poll, then we'd be worried it might disappoint players if it took years before we eventually did it. However, I had a conversation with some other SimGurus at lunch about this, and the general opinion was that including disabilities could be good if (1) it didn't use all our animation budget and (2) it was something players could opt into. There was one SimGuru who disagreed though, who thought it was too serious an issue. It was certainly an interesting conversation"

another note:
Did you know practically every single person in history had a problem of some sort? It could be as something as serious as needing a wheelchair like FDR because of having polio as a child, Helen Keller being Blind-Deaf-and she's the first blind-deaf to go to post-secondary school and become a speaker later! to a stammer (current Queen Elizabeth's Dad)-did their problems prevent them from being who they become? Did Beethoven give up on his pieces after becoming deaf?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 11:18 PM
The above translated to EA's not-so-secret language: "Sounds interesting, but we probably won't do it, so we'll just let you keep up the hope but not do anything about it."

Also, writing to organizations that have absolutely nothing to do with EA very likely won't help. Sure, if you want to try, go ahead. But there's no guarantee for success.

They said in the reply you got that animations would be a major problem. Not completely impossible, but difficult and resource-demanding. And that's no kidding. If you've never worked with animation or poses I don't think you can even begin to imagine all the work you have to put into every single movement. Animating a minute or three can take days or months, depending on the work needed and how perfect you want it, and there's a whole load of animations in a game, even for things you don't even think about. Anything that involves objects are particularly difficult to animate, and anything involving moving objects or two or more characters interacting are even harder. Sims is a complex game. Freeplay games usually are...

They already had trouble making one set of proper animations for TS3 (most of it was "reused" from TS2 or plain old lazy), and making twice the amount... Probably won't happen.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 1:01 AM
Celoptra, have you seen this? It's a life sim that's hoping to become a major competitor for EA, if the designer can actually be arsed to post there once in a while. You could see if he's interested in it - or your other ideas - because I doubt EA cares enough to try.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 2:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993
Celoptra, have you seen this? It's a life sim that's hoping to become a major competitor for EA, if the designer can actually be arsed to post there once in a while. You could see if he's interested in it - or your other ideas - because I doubt EA cares enough to try.

It got cancelled on some Sept 30th of this year.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 2:48 AM
No, the Kickstarter got cancelled. The project is still going. In fact, the forum got started after the 30th.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 4:19 AM
To be honest, I don't see how the organizations that are to be written to's specific disabilities could be represented in game. I mean Cystic Fibrosis? That affects the lungs and digestive system. You can't show that in a game. The symptoms that could actually be visual would resemble a cold or the flu (with the exception of clubbed fingers). Muscular Dystrophy? Muscle weakness with maybe a curved spine or clubfoot. Multiple Sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy and Lou Gehrig's Disease are the nervous system could be the most visual if taken to their extreme... And some of these, like cerebral palsy, have several types, thus do you choose one or all?

I just don't see how these would work in game. And writing to organizations who would mainly want to see their particular focus brought to life would mean these are what we'd get first if they have the clout to make it happen. I understand wanting crutches, wheelchairs, and casts and such, but muscular, digestive, nervous system, respiratory, brain disorders and diseases might be better left to the player's imagination. Story tellers don't need actual animations for these types of disorders as they can easily write it in/manipulate the visual to appear this way. Plus, not only would each have to be done correctly right down to how they progress, but those not represented in those five orgs will want in too. What about Parkinsons or Downs Syndrome or CHF or cancer while you're at it. There are so many it would be difficult to pull off. Plus, too much realism would turn people off since many play the game to escape reality not confront it. As far as stuttering, the blind, the deaf, the mute, loss of a limb, etc... hard to represent in truth as visually they all live lives that look like someone who isn't blind, deaf, etc. You need to be able to get inside them which is something games currently can't do (wait until virtual reality becomes way way better). Otherwise, we'll just get an insensitive blurb that says "Sim Sim is deaf and needs to purchase a hearing aid." And that'll be the end of it.

I do think your concept is interesting and I'd be curious enough to try it. But I don't see this as fitting in with THE Sims game. Instead of a base game or EP, maybe a separate game altogether like Sims Medieval, but Sims ...(I have no idea what this could be called)... that focuses on disabilities, disorders and diseases would be more feasible. By being stand alone you'd eliminate many of the problems that trying to fuse this with the existing basis of the game creates whether by base game or EP. And you can represent a lot more disabilities/diseases/disorders with EPs/SPs specially made for this. All the while focusing on what will be a smaller market to sell to. I don't know that EA would be more receptive to this idea, but even if they're not another company might be interested in that kind of a simulation game. You might consider going a different route with this. You may need to put aside the franchise and the company and broaden your pursuit to create a project like this. Good luck!

Memory Games A Sims 3 Thriller Mystery
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 4:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Qnshr5
To be honest, I don't see how the organizations that are to be written to's specific disabilities could be represented in game. I mean Cystic Fibrosis? That affects the lungs and digestive system. You can't show that in a game. The symptoms that could actually be visual would resemble a cold or the flu (with the exception of clubbed fingers). Muscular Dystrophy? Muscle weakness with maybe a curved spine or clubfoot. Multiple Sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy and Lou Gehrig's Disease are the nervous system could be the most visual if taken to their extreme... And some of these, like cerebral palsy, have several types, thus do you choose one or all?

I just don't see how these would work in game. And writing to organizations who would mainly want to see their particular focus brought to life would mean these are what we'd get first if they have the clout to make it happen. I understand wanting crutches, wheelchairs, and casts and such, but muscular, digestive, nervous system, respiratory, brain disorders and diseases might be better left to the player's imagination. Story tellers don't need actual animations for these types of disorders as they can easily write it in/manipulate the visual to appear this way. Plus, not only would each have to be done correctly right down to how they progress, but those not represented in those five orgs will want in too. What about Parkinsons or Downs Syndrome or CHF or cancer while you're at it. There are so many it would be difficult to pull off. Plus, too much realism would turn people off since many play the game to escape reality not confront it. As far as stuttering, the blind, the deaf, the mute, loss of a limb, etc... hard to represent in truth as visually they all live lives that look like someone who isn't blind, deaf, etc. You need to be able to get inside them which is something games currently can't do (wait until virtual reality becomes way way better). Otherwise, we'll just get an insensitive blurb that says "Sim Sim is deaf and needs to purchase a hearing aid." And that'll be the end of it.

I do think your concept is interesting and I'd be curious enough to try it. But I don't see this as fitting in with THE Sims game. Instead of a base game or EP, maybe a separate game altogether like Sims Medieval, but Sims ...(I have no idea what this could be called)... that focuses on disabilities, disorders and diseases would be more feasible. By being stand alone you'd eliminate many of the problems that trying to fuse this with the existing basis of the game creates whether by base game or EP. And you can represent a lot more disabilities/diseases/disorders with EPs/SPs specially made for this. All the while focusing on what will be a smaller market to sell to. I don't know that EA would be more receptive to this idea, but even if they're not another company might be interested in that kind of a simulation game. You might consider going a different route with this. You may need to put aside the franchise and the company and broaden your pursuit to create a project like this. Good luck!

Well according to Jarise9 all those organizations are wheelchair related-we aren't asking for those diseases themselves, but just to make awareness to them that wheelchairs aren't in the game. That's what most people want besides, blind and deaf. And it would be more then just a pop up saying "Oh your sim is deaf they need a hearing aid" 1)that's rude and 2) they could with a Pets EP get a service dog (aka a hearing dog). 3)items like flashing lights for doorbell/alarms. 4)Sims could use a simlish sign language.

@other person the other game doesn't really appeal because you're stuck with only one "person" and I don't think it would allow you to chance your active person to your husband or to children and I'm going to guess Teens wouldn't be happening with that.

And before anyone says disablties don't sell, that's wrong they do sell: Beck Barbie doll 2nd incarnation flew off shelves this one was a school photographer. In a CD-Rom she was the Computer Whiz and in a Golden Book she was a camp councillor along with Barbie. Recently Down Syndrome dolls line have sold 1,000 orders and the company has another 1,000 pre-orders. American Girl has accessories of miniature guide dog, hearing aid, wheelchair, and even a lunch-free allergy kit. Barbie back in Febuarary had a Bald Barbie that was only available in Hospitals and through charities despite the attempts by the Vatican. And just recently there been a book It's Hard Not To Stare which is to encourage kids and parents to discuss disablties.
Site Helper
#19 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 6:06 AM
Interestingly, your poll seems to indicate that people with disabilities are not interested in seeing them in the game: "No I'm disabled/know someone who is and don't want it."
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#20 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 7:43 AM
Okay so how would those organizations being aware that there are not wheelchairs in the game help us get wheelchairs? They cannot change the technical challenges in making that happen, and unless there were HUGE pressure on EA to make it happen as well as a huge amount of interest across the player base in really wanting it in their game (even greater than the desire for, say, pets, or weather, or businesses - because the amount of time, effort, and money it would take EA to make wheelchair-using sims would be on par to doing at least two of those if not all three), just wanting it really really hard is not enough. I'd imagine those organizations also already have enough on their plates in helping with real-life challenges that people face, without also being expected to actively lobby to a video game company.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#21 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 8:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Celoptra
and this isn't about including disablties into the SIMS 3. Its about future Sims games (not Sims 4, but maybe Sims 5, 6, 8th,etc . So that hill argument is out. Just vote you don't want and go on your way.
So, let me get this correct. You started a pol, asked for opinions, and yet, when you got one you didn't agree with/didn't like, you just say "vote no and go your own way?" Interesting.
I never said I didn't want them. In fact, I said I do not oppose them being in the game at all. What I said was that the implementation of these various disabilities would be very difficult to do. And they would be. That example with the Generations Stroller isn't just about Sims 3, it's about how EA makes the games as a whole. Bear in mind that the next-gen game will have a completely new engine, and we do not know how any other lifestate besides "normal" sims will even work. Hell, a lot of us are not yet convinced that the "normal" sims will work properly, as the whole emotions thing is still being scrutanized by the fan base. I can't see EA doing it right.

Wanting something in the game is not the same thing as being able to have it in the game. This isn't something that you can just open up in a modding program, change a few things, save it, and pop it in your game. As has been previously stated, there are a LOT of things needed for even the simplest stuff. Think about all the things that person in a wheelchair, for example, has to deal with on regular basis that other people do not. Everything from going to work, to going to the bathroom, to even getting dressed in the morning, all have complications that are a part of their everyday life. How would EA be able to properly convey these while at the same time have a functioning game that fits with it's general themes? And that is just for a chair-bound person. How would they prevent a blind sim from driving a car? It's a LOT of work, and for little gain, as far as coding goes.

Now, as for the letter writing campaign, by all means, start one, send EA thousands of letters, do what you feel you need to do. However, it probably will not do a lick of good.

By the way, the word "normal" is only used as a descriptive term for a Sim that is an average Sim, not an Occult state, or any other lifestate template, hence the quotations. It is not meant to imply that people with a disability are not normal, functioning beings.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 3:22 PM
If added in the basegame, it might show simmer's that disabilities are regular parts of life and should be respected....but you'd always get those simmers that trap disabled sims in rooms without doors and stuff like that. People are evil with their sims sometimes.
But if it is added, it needs to be added well. It would be best to stick to the basics, instead of going all-out. If a sim has Autism, you might not want to call it autism. You can't call it something silly or goofy, because that would be offensive. Maybe you'd name it after someone who works on the game and made it, but try to make it sound official. If it's done well and not offensive, it might be fine. Of course, I personally don't trust EA making an Autism-like disability for sims at all. They would probably call it Garbonzo Syndrome and make sims with it also really like beans. A lot. Or something dumb like that.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jthm_nny
If added in the basegame, it might show simmer's that disabilities are regular parts of life and should be respected....but you'd always get those simmers that trap disabled sims in rooms without doors and stuff like that. People are evil with their sims sometimes.
But if it is added, it needs to be added well. It would be best to stick to the basics, instead of going all-out. If a sim has Autism, you might not want to call it autism. You can't call it something silly or goofy, because that would be offensive. Maybe you'd name it after someone who works on the game and made it, but try to make it sound official. If it's done well and not offensive, it might be fine. Of course, I personally don't trust EA making an Autism-like disability for sims at all. They would probably call it Garbonzo Syndrome and make sims with it also really like beans. A lot. Or something dumb like that.

So? People already trapped fat sims, dark-skin sims in rooms behind doors?

@others That's only the repsonse I'm getting on that most of the people who vote here don't want it. But I got 10/10 on another poll. I was told to take the poll elsewhere just so I didn't have a small statistics.
Scholar
#24 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 8:55 PM
Even if I actually wanted disabilities in The Sims (which I really really do not at all) there are so many things that I would rather have The Sims team work on instead. Like I don't know, CaST, businesses, decent clothing and hair, weather etc.

No, I don't want serious diseases/disabilities in the game, but, if they simply must include it, they should do so in an EP in which I can avoid the concept entirely. For me, diseases/disabilities would just make the game feel really sad and stressful, which is pretty much what I want to escape when I play the game. Knowing EA, it would probably be implemented very poorly and just end up being really offensive or bothersome, like "Your sim drank too much nectar when she was pregnant, her baby has Goopy's Syndrome. Shame on you!"

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 10:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jthm_nny

That's like saying that because some people scoop peoples' eyes out with spoons that we should issue a nationwide ban on spoons. We shouldn't punish everyone - or prevent them from adjusting their midset in a positive way - because of what a few jerkasses might do.
Page 1 of 3