Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#76 Old 23rd Jan 2007 at 11:13 PM
I'm very happy to see that people are putting guides for recoloring with the Gimp on here. ^^;''
I also have a different way of doing the same thing, which I've uploaded a set to flickr explaining.
My way is better if you want to keep the original shades, but the way you've posted has a slightly different effect, which I used to use, and it is a good way to recolor to specific colors.

The URL for my tutorial version is;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/secret...57594496556507/

I really didn't think it was so thorough as to put on here, just a quick tutorial with images.

Also, for those with the .bmp transparency glitch, just say "export" and don't pay attention to it. It hasn't messed anything up for me ever, and I've recolored just about everything I've ever downloaded. Which is alot. xD
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 25th Jan 2007 at 5:58 PM
Default uh oh
I did everything, but when I go to save the image in The Gimp, it says (whatever type of file i've chosen - usually bmp, jpeg or png does not support transparency files. I don't know what to do.
Test Subject
#78 Old 26th Jan 2007 at 11:24 PM
hey thx for this great tut im finally on my way to modding something other than counter strike

just one tip for other ppl that read this tut, i used soft light for the layer settings and the color was 5 times better in my view
Test Subject
#79 Old 27th Jan 2007 at 9:32 PM
thank you
i just wanted to thank you for your very helpful guide, i did step by step just as you have written and i got it the second try, not first, but i got it. thank you so very much i have had so much fun recoloring my clothes, nothing worth uploaded, but i love it. :D
Test Subject
#80 Old 28th Jan 2007 at 6:48 AM Last edited by lieb3ngel_kroen3n : 28th Jan 2007 at 6:49 AM. Reason: HTML bolding didn't work
My goodness! I DID IT!! I CANT BELIEVE THIS IS FOR REAL! Thank you so so so very much Vashti71! You made it look so simple and your instruction are clear and very comprehensive! i have to hug you,man!!! Thanks a lot!
Test Subject
#81 Old 30th Jan 2007 at 1:25 AM
Wow that was very easy I did it a second time and didn't have to look at the instructions again. Nice.
Field Researcher
#82 Old 3rd Feb 2007 at 5:38 AM
Wow this is a really great tutorial. Its is detailed thanks for sharing

ılı.------Volume------.ılı.
▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █
Min- - - - - - - - - - -●Max
► Play ▌▌ Pause ■ Stop
Test Subject
#83 Old 4th Feb 2007 at 12:50 AM
I just completed the basic recolor tute, and I am so proud. I would like to make it look better, though. The details really got lost in the wash of color, but I will persevere. On to the next tutorial.
Test Subject
#84 Old 4th Feb 2007 at 4:28 PM
thanx
OMG it actually worked your a genius
Test Subject
#85 Old 15th Feb 2007 at 6:57 AM
So when you save the dress do you select export?

Time Goes By.

Time is a place, time is a person, time is a distant memory.
To find the way back home, back out, back out of the darkness, you must follow the light.. for the one destiny all worlds share.. is also the destiny of your heart....
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#86 Old 16th Feb 2007 at 7:20 AM
yaxxi, when you are happy with how your project looks, you click the IMPORT button (folder with arrow). Then it will appear in your game. It writes a file to your saved sims folder, which is the finished file that you could share with others (although sharing this level of basic recolor is probably not high on the list of things to do)

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#87 Old 18th Feb 2007 at 1:04 PM
Thanks so much for this tutorial. It was easy to follow, and made recolouring of clothes so much less scary and hard than they originally seemed.

I had fun playing with all the different layer modes, and now have a version of that dress in a colour I adore

Also, thanks for making tutorials in Gimp. I'm confused enough with the whole recolour thing, without trying to translate a tutorial at the same time.
Test Subject
#88 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 12:19 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 26th Feb 2007 at 8:20 AM. Reason: don't go quoting entire messages for no reason! I almost didn't see your question
Gimp
Where do i find the gimp menu
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#89 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 8:22 AM
Smartthinking,

#1 don't quote entire messages for no reason!
#2 Gimp is a program that you have to download and install onto your computer. Did you try following the link in the beginning of the tutorial that links to another tutorial that explains how to install gimp? You'll have to go to another site, get gimp, and install it according to the directions (it needs a runtime I think, in addition to gimp)

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Test Subject
#90 Old 7th Mar 2007 at 1:36 PM
All I will say is this, I admire you!
Test Subject
#91 Old 14th Mar 2007 at 4:04 AM
Hi, i really want to be able to make clothes. but, i don't have a projects folder!!!

i need help please i've tried like everything and nothing works please help!!

eyeheartthesims2. :]
...in the process of making downloads!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#92 Old 14th Mar 2007 at 7:01 AM
The folder gets created when you run bodyshop and make a new project the first time I believe. Are you looking in MY DOCUMENTS/EA GAMES/SIMS 2

Test Subject
#93 Old 18th Mar 2007 at 9:39 AM
Default Please Help!
UMM... body shop won't open and it just says "sorry, there was an error" what shall I do?
Test Subject
#94 Old 26th Mar 2007 at 10:39 AM
Default help!!!
where can i find the GIMP???
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#95 Old 26th Mar 2007 at 5:21 PM
Leih, to use tutorials you need to read carefully and click links if necessary. Right at the beginning of the tutorial:

"This Tutorial uses Bodyshop and The GIMP graphics editor (available for free on the web, for installation instructions see here)."

The word 'here' is hotlinked. If you uhm, clicked it.... it would take you to another page with instructions and a link to a site that has gimp for download.

Test Subject
#96 Old 1st Apr 2007 at 6:09 PM
i followed everything but when you have uploaded the dress how do you get it onto the GIMP?
Test Subject
#97 Old 1st Apr 2007 at 6:11 PM
im really confused
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#98 Old 2nd Apr 2007 at 8:29 AM
Rosie, this tutorial is about as simple as we can make it. You need to read the file into gimp, just like you would read a file into _any other program you use on the computer_ I suggest if you still are lost that you get someone local to look over your shoulder with you and help you figure it out, because I don't think we can explain it any better online.

Test Subject
#99 Old 3rd Apr 2007 at 3:32 AM
I like this tutorial! I follow all the steps and i have successfully do it well.

Thanks!
Instructor
#100 Old 6th Apr 2007 at 1:50 AM
imamonstergr, ignore the message that say it doesn't allow transparency... It works anyways if you just say "ok" or "export", I forget which it was (just press the button that means closest to "accept" xP)... Anyways, it'll automatically squash the layers together, and there won't be transparency anymore! Tada.
Page 4 of 12