Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#1401 Old 13th Apr 2010 at 7:19 AM
Because your table is too low. You either have to raise the tabletop (a dining table top has to be at 0.8 on the Y axis) or change the placement slots. The easiest thing is definitely to adjust the height of the mesh. You can use the original mesh from the table you cloned to see exactly how high it should be.

Moune's Neighbourhood
If you need a cool place for your sims to chill out.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#1402 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 10:00 PM
I'll never be able to create custom content, open up object workshop and then nothing... no categories just blank
Lab Assistant
#1403 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 12:05 AM Last edited by IndycentSimCreations : 21st Jul 2010 at 3:24 AM.
i followed the tutorial, checking it every second. And when i checked it in game, i had no legs for my table. i had a floating board. Also, when i compared screenshots, i had 2 files in the object importer, instead of one, what should i do? Also, i included the mesh so people can help diagnose what i did wrong
Attached files:
File Type: rar  IndycentSimCreationsTable.rar (76.6 KB, 15 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#1404 Old 6th Aug 2010 at 6:30 PM
Default please help me!
Can some one please help me. I tried so many times but I can't make it work. This is what's wrong:

When I place my table into the game it's invisable. I noticed that I had the wrong name so I changed that to 'surfaces'. Now when I want to search for the table, the game ends with: error occured, shutting the sims 2 down press yes. The game's closing. When I remove my table from the downloadlist, the sims is working again.

What is wrong here? Does somebody got the answer? Please help because I'm doing this for days now and it isn't working for me

Thanks!
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#1405 Old 6th Aug 2010 at 7:05 PM
It being invisible was most likely because the textures weren't linked right. After you changed the name- there were most likely other places it would need changed, which would cause your game to crash with the table in it.

Could you post the .package so someone can look at it for you? (You need to archive it with WinRAR or a similar program to be able to attach it to your post.)
Test Subject
#1406 Old 7th Aug 2010 at 6:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
It being invisible was most likely because the textures weren't linked right. After you changed the name- there were most likely other places it would need changed, which would cause your game to crash with the table in it.

Could you post the .package so someone can look at it for you? (You need to archive it with WinRAR or a similar program to be able to attach it to your post.)

Here is my zipfile. I added the texture with it. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here..... hm.... when you found it, please tell me what was wrong so I can check this part better with a new mesh etc.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Adinda-Riverdale-Table.zip (202.1 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#1407 Old 7th Aug 2010 at 7:51 PM
OK- some of your table I would know how to fix. There is no TXMT for the table, just the shadow. That could be fixed by cloning the existing TXMT and editing it. There is no MMAT for the table- which would be needed if you wanted it to be recolorable. The only TXTR is for the shadow. The texture you included in the zip is a .jpeg- textures need to be in .png format. The shadow TXTR could be cloned and edited with your table's texture. What table did you clone? The tutorial used the Talking Table, I think, and it's name is tabledining, not surfaces.

However, I got an error in SimPE- there is no Parent CRES. That I don't know how to fix, I've never ran across that error.

You COULD post your table in the Object Repair thread. In this case, I think the easiest thing to do would be to start over with brand new .package. Be sure to not delete any of the TXMT, MMAT or TXTRs - follow the tutorial carefully and take your time. If you run into any problem with any step, post and someone will help.
Test Subject
#1408 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 11:33 AM
I did the tutorial all over again and found this problem:

1: my table is showing now but it's lying down, the topplate is now the frontside of the table. I put my mesh the same as the clonefile that I loaded in my 3D Max program. Also the table isn't on the right place with the boxes of the game, the 'place-box-things';
2: my texture isn't showing on the table, only the texture of the Talking Table itself;
3: the original Talking Table isn't showing anymore in the game when I click it;
4: I made a .simpe file of my obj like the tutorials tell me too but my table isn't showing proper.

Hopefully you know what to do about this, sorry for bothering you with this. Thanks again!
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#1409 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 8:27 PM
1. I think that has to do with the xyz order in SimPE. There is a drop-down box right in the GMDC, right under the boxes to import and export a mesh. The 'place-box-things'- your table isn't in the footprint properly. Try re-importing your mesh and changing the xzy order. (Before you commit, change it before you even import the mesh.) If your table is upright but still not in the footprint, it got moved somehow while you were meshing it.
2. Your texture - see 3.
3. Did you get a new GUID for your table? The original table isn't showing- that's most likely why. You didn't get a new GUID for yours and it's over-writing the Maxis table. When you do that, your texture should show.
4. .simpe file? The mesh you create and import should be in .obj format* and when you save (after all your changes to the clone) it needs to be in .package format- which it must be or you wouldn't see it in game.

*You use 3D Max, which I'm not familiar with at all. I think there are other formats you can import, like .3ds.

BTW- You're not bothering anyone. This is what this thread is for- questions. If you try the changes I suggested and your table still doesn't work right, post it in the Object Repair Workshop thread. You're a lot closer to having a working table this time than you were with the table I looked at.
Lab Assistant
#1410 Old 9th Aug 2010 at 3:09 AM
I have now realised the wrong ive done, i can do the tutorial, until it comes to Uvmapping. I have the latest version of everyting used, and it says make 2 UV maps one for the tabke top and one for the legs. And then rei-mport into Wings3D combine the whole mesh, rename it to tabledining, export the mesh, open in UV mapper, save the model, and then import to SimPE. I realised SimPE picks up two different obj.'s because it has two different UVmaps. Is there a way to combine them?
Test Subject
#1411 Old 9th Aug 2010 at 9:09 AM
hih,

it's working, now I have to fix the problem that the original Talking Table isn't showing in the game when I click it but my table is working finally!! Thanks for your help!
Test Subject
#1412 Old 12th Oct 2010 at 11:06 AM
Hi I'm using the version 2.1 tutorial, and I follow all steps but when I go to the object it's just colored the mesh doesn't show; do you know what I am doing wrong? (Sorry if this was already posted, there are 57 pages and I have a short attention span lol)
I did the tutorial twice and both times the mesh didn't show. I also didn't use wood I used pictures, and on "Importing your texture file" step, when I put the picture on it gets cut off and so the picture repeats itself on the table, do you know what I can do to fix that as well?

Thank you so much

Trying to learn how to mesh :)
Field Researcher
#1413 Old 23rd Nov 2010 at 12:00 AM
Because my internet explorer isn't working, I am unable to register the GUID. Is there any other way for me to do this?
Field Researcher
#1414 Old 23rd Nov 2010 at 10:50 AM
I don't think SimPE needs Internet Explorer to register a GUID, so you could do it that way. The function 'Get GUID' is in the OBJD.

If it's because you can't connect to the internet at all, what you can do is find the last GUID you used and then use the next number up. When you get back online you can enter the GUID manually at the database.

Moune's Neighbourhood
If you need a cool place for your sims to chill out.
Field Researcher
#1415 Old 23rd Nov 2010 at 8:10 PM
Thank you for responding! I forgot to update last night but, for some reason, I did need internet explorer working to get the GUID. I was only able to use firefox on my computer for a while. I just restored IE to factory settings and it worked fine but, in case I have that problem again, and it's not IE, I know how to work around it. Thank you so much!
Field Researcher
#1416 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 6:30 AM
can i use the same tutorial with different 3D program?
I have Autodesk Maya, and I was wondering if i can do the same thing if I use this and gets a same result... sorry I am a real noob at this..I am still finding my way to learn how to make stuffs for Sims 2

http://www.kathflores.com
"Every color has its definition and that is what ART is...Defining who you are"
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#1417 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 2:20 PM
Test Subject
#1418 Old 10th Jan 2011 at 2:34 AM
Just did the tutorial from start to finish, and it worked wonderfully! Thankyou so much for putting it together. Now Im off to create some clutter for my sims shops lol!
Test Subject
#1419 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 11:02 AM Last edited by Mystikmyshel : 22nd Jan 2011 at 12:01 PM.
I am having a problem with a step that is fairly early in the process of creating the dining table in this tutorial. It is on page 9 of part 1 the Milkshape tutorial. The tutorial says that a “Geometric Data Container” file should show up in the resource list but I can't find it. I have tried starting over three times and I checked to make sure I didn't miss anything but it still does not show up when I get done cloning the table. Am I missing something?

Any help provided is much appreciated.

*Update*

I figured it out! I had the "reference original mesh" box checked for some reason. But now that I have fixed that it is working just fine.
Test Subject
#1420 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 7:55 PM Last edited by ikkie : 25th Apr 2011 at 8:53 PM.
Hi!!
Your tutorial is so good! At the beginning I read some other tutorials and I don´t understand ANYTHING!! O.o But I have a problem:
I have the english tutorial for Blender and I´ve done everythink, what was written there. But when I click "Export Wavefront OBJ" there is no export window!! How I have to open it? (sry for my english I´m from Germany... )

Could anyone help me??
Lab Assistant
#1421 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 8:35 PM
hello, so if this question was already asked, i went through 11 pages and nobody had asked and i really didn't want to read every post in the other 46 pages.

Well firstly, thank you so much, it was my first 3d creation. But I do have a question. The Talking Table, the Maxis item we cloned, no longer works in my game although the table I created does. The Talking Table shows up in the catalog with the thumbnail image, price, and description. But if I click it to try and buy it and place it nothing happens. Is this supposed to happen? If not, what can I do to fix it?

{{It's lost and can't be found.}}
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#1422 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 9:00 PM
Hi, FallingAwayFromMe.

Make sure each of your custom table's OBDJs have a different, non-EA GUID. Every GUID must be unique and it cannot be a GUID belonging to an EA object (such as the Talk Table) since you are not making a default replacement.

(Also make sure that any previous attempts are not in your Downloads folder...I can't tell you how many times I accidentally left an older version or a back-up version of an object in my Downloads folder.)

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Test Subject
#1423 Old 17th Jul 2011 at 5:50 PM
Floating Table
I fallowed this tutorial many times and always end up with the same problem... A floating table, the legs doesn't show up in the game; I can't get the legs and the table top combine with Wings3D. Even if I do combine them they don't stay together therefore when I import my mesh into SimPE I have two mesh into the ''Mesh Group Importer'' window. I tried to get that fix it myself, but it just doesn't want to stay as one.

Is there someone that is still around that could help me?
Instructor
#1424 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 10:33 AM
Default Problem with the SimPE Surface
Hi,

I'm trying to go through this tutorial and it's very well written. But one ugly problem: since I'm using the newest SimPE version, the buttons aren't always were they are in the tutorial screen shots, so I always spend some time searching.

I got as far as finding the right table and saving it as dining-table-tutorial, then clicking on the "Geometric Data Container (GMDC)" file.

Now according to the tutorial (page 9), there should be another window, "Type" where I should highlight "Geometric Data Container again". Only there's no "Type window. I spend 45 minutes opening every possible window, trying some of the little icons, checking the windows again, checking the tutorial, repeating the last steps of the tutorial to make sure I didn't miss anything ... nothing.

And it's probably a tiny thing like "open menu XY". I hope someone will help me, it's just too frustrating because I really want to learn this.
Test Subject
#1425 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alchemist
Hi,

I'm trying to go through this tutorial and it's very well written. But one ugly problem: since I'm using the newest SimPE version, the buttons aren't always were they are in the tutorial screen shots, so I always spend some time searching.

I got as far as finding the right table and saving it as dining-table-tutorial, then clicking on the "Geometric Data Container (GMDC)" file.

Now according to the tutorial (page 9), there should be another window, "Type" where I should highlight "Geometric Data Container again". Only there's no "Type window. I spend 45 minutes opening every possible window, trying some of the little icons, checking the windows again, checking the tutorial, repeating the last steps of the tutorial to make sure I didn't miss anything ... nothing.

And it's probably a tiny thing like "open menu XY". I hope someone will help me, it's just too frustrating because I really want to learn this.

I'll help. Hang on a moment and I'll take some screenshots ok?.

And then perhaps you can help me with my issue once you get to that part lol.

OK the window you want should be right where it is in the tut.
Page 57 of 58