Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 10:17 PM Last edited by AlphaNERD : 29th Oct 2013 at 11:19 PM.
OFB Custom Tasks possible ? (Objective : Dev Studio)
Hello people,

i've been playing Sims 2 very long now, but i've found recently Numenor's Sinclair ZX Spectrum, where people can play and develop on the ZX units. What i want to do is to make a development studio, where i can hire people to develop and sell BASIC programs for me, so that i can earn money. The question is : Is it possible to have employees do a specific action (by specific action, i don't mean predefined actions by Maxis, rather actions Sims could do at home) ? If it works out, then we could all use this technique to make successful dev studio and live the life of people like Mark Zuckerberg/Steve Jobs/Bill Gates/Markus Persson/YOU. By now, the firm is rather working like a store, which is what i really hate.

Update :
BEHOOOOOOLD ! The link to the Sinclair ZX Spectrum : http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=237328
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 10:40 PM
Thanks for pointing that download out-although a link would have been handy. I've never even heard of it before and didn't even know what you were talking about, so I Googled and found it. I'm still not sure what a 'ZX unit' is, but I love OFB and home based money making so this looks interesting.

I don't know anything about modding but simwardrobe had a number of OFB objects and mods that allowed you to have an employee do certain actions. For example an employee could be set to go work on the junker car or fish. So maybe it would be possible with this item. If you're making a request you will need the wcif forum and the creators who take request thread and see if there is anyone on there who mods, and then pm them. You're not allowed to post requests per the site rules.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 10:43 PM
It's certainly possible to create new Employee duties for custom objects, but it's not exactly a beginner's project if you plan to make it yourself. If you have never worked with BHAVs, you will need to start here to learn how to make your first custom interaction. That tutorial expects some experience with SimPE though. In which case, I would recommend smaller projects to gain experience and understanding of SimPE first. If you are making a request, see joandsarah77's post above.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Alchemist
#4 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 11:02 PM
You can use Monique's computer, which you can assign to employees and active sims. Once you assign a computer to a sim, he or she will use it at certain times to write articles with breaks in between. Not programming, but at least they can be assigned a computer each.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 11:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I'm still not sure what a 'ZX unit'

Well, when i talk about a ZX unit, i'm talking about the Sinclair ZX Spectrum. I guess, i (or we all here) could request Numenor himself to make this, because he knows best, where to change and make things. I like the way, where the thread is going.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 11:57 PM
I still don't know what a Sinclair ZX Spectrum is, although something to do with computers. I'm not young, just a computer dummy. I spent the 80's playing Space Invaders. I do know though that Numenor is long retired.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 30th Oct 2013 at 12:10 AM
The Sinclair ZX was a very small run of the computer line, and the brand soon died off in the real world, to be replaced with Tandy's first "CoCo" computers. About the same time frame, when the very first personal color computers were coming out. (and yes, I do remember that far back, and actually had a CoCo..a very long time ago!)

Thanks for the link, and the memories. I still do miss that old machine, all 16k of memory!
Site Helper
#8 Old 30th Oct 2013 at 1:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AlphaNERD
I guess, i (or we all here) could request Numenor himself to make this
That won't work, since Numenor left the community.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 30th Oct 2013 at 5:31 AM
The ZX Spectrum was my first ever computer! Back when you had to load programs using an audio cassette, and god help you if you didn't get the volume setting right, the bastard thing would often just refuse to load completely. Oh god, I'm showing my age now. It had 16K of memory (which I soon got upgraded to 48K LIKE A BOSS) and it had rubber keys. Ah, nostalgia....
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Oct 2013 at 11:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I still don't know what a Sinclair ZX Spectrum is, although something to do with computers. I'm not young, just a computer dummy. I spent the 80's playing Space Invaders. I do know though that Numenor is long retired.

The ZX Spectrum is an extremely old computer, which was programmable in BASIC. The Spectrum is also one of the first computers, which provided an internal drive (ZX Microdrive). You could also load and save programmed applications on a cassette using the tapedrive. The Spectrum was a relatively cheap computer in the size of a 10" netbook, which made learning with computers and programming possible for anyone.

Back to the future, can you still edit a package, or is it like a compiled program, where you can't access it's resources.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 30th Oct 2013 at 11:37 AM
Do you mean Numenor's ZX Spectrum file? You can open it and make changes in simpe.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th Oct 2013 at 11:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by klapaucius
The ZX Spectrum was my first ever computer!

Mine too! To this day, I'm certain that all that time spent waiting for for the tape to load so I could play is what taught me to wait patiently for my Sims game to load.