Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#15301 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 9:22 AM
@MommyIce : Hope you feel better soon!

@FrogSnack : Some interesting ideas there, FrogSnack!

I could have sworn that resort management was already on the list. I was really hoping to roll it some day! It's surprising that it's not already a full career option :O

Beekeeping and canning preserves could possibly be added to the farmer/nectar maker career, to provide some variety. It might be a bit much to do for a sim's meager lifespan, but these things go together irl, at least

I haven't played around with the glassblowing set at all, but the description says it comes with a new skill of its own. I don't see why that shouldn't be a full non-standard career! Good idea! (Then again, I don't think there are any careers based exclusively on store items. There's always the option to reroll if you don't have the item, but still.)

A personal trainer career could be cute gameplay-wise, but having to take care of the payment using cheats feels a bit too artificial for me personally. I know other sims challenges often work like this, but I think one of the nice things about the RLC is that it takes advantage of the many actual in-game ways of making money instead of forcing something that isn't there.

As for bakery/restaurant and car repair - maybe we'd need to playtest these a bit? Could be fun though.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#15302 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 8:37 PM
I have an update!
Chapter 3.46 Long Time in which there's a rather 4th wall breaking time skip, and everything is kinda caught up with. I wasn't going to do one, but I realised that I didn't have much motivation to take pictures for the bit I've now skipped over, so I was putting it off, and that's not the right attitude! So, timeskip!

eternal trash x

currently suffering through a degree, but at least i'm a woman in stem i guess

live laugh love besties x
Field Researcher
#15303 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 3:05 AM
I have an update: 7.5 "Family Ties" in which I discuss a few disturbing family ties. D:
Wordpress had this set as published two months ago, for some reason. I edited the calendar date, but I'm not sure if it will show in feeds correctly for those who are following me.

@Frogsnack The cannery stuff looks fun! I also think it could be part of the gardener career. I also like the auto shop suggestion.
Lab Assistant
#15304 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 10:03 AM
Hi, sorry, I'm still alive, just vanished for a bit; I try to get an update out this weekend and am catching up with your stories!

Re: new careers. I'm against any custom careers that require cheats or mods to pay yourself (as much as I'd love a cat/dog breeder career ) Store content careers depends a bit on how popular these are/how many people buy store content? I don't have any, so I'd have to reroll them, but combining with existing careers is of course always an option! Beekeeping to farmer career makes sense. Glassblowing to sculpting maybe?
Scholar
Original Poster
#15305 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 3:58 AM
I don't have the glass blowing store set so I don't know how well balanced it is. If we need to add it as a career, I'd add it to the sculpting career. Giving some variety to the non-rabbithole careers is one way to make them more interesting and fun (especially if you have played a bunch of generations and rolled almost everything a lot already).
Field Researcher
#15306 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 8:27 AM Last edited by Frogsnack : 29th Jul 2017 at 4:09 PM.
Thanks for the responses everybody. I'm thinking once I've played more of the challenge I may separate a few rolls and things like 'farming' could be three rolls into even 'arborist/orchard', 'cannery, ' 'bee farm' or even just 'berry farm' which can consist of a the baker's station and strictly the berry producing plants etc. So the rolls I'm excited to try I might split up eventually. Also it makes sense from a gameplay standpoint to have resort management not as a roll because there's no real skill involved, but from a storytelling standpoint I would love to work it in, it would just make my sims ignore their real rolls, guaranteed. Although you could make it a gambling operation or play out your politician as a landowner who has fundraisers there etc.

And nectar Making is really tied into Mixology for me but they take up too much of an individual sims time which can be frustrating. But seeing as you can use the fruits you harvest in drinks you mix that would be my dream roll to have both, like a couple that runs a bar with a nectary in the basement. (plus there's a create your own new drinks mod floating around somewhere that can be pretty fun. I'd link it but I had a game go pretty corrupt when it was installed and i haven't ruled it out as a culprit yet)

About the glass blowing as I recall it is a 10 step skill, but when I plopped it down into the uni world when I first played it there was some glitch where my sim went from a level 3 to an 8 or 9 in one night, so I'd want to test play it again for sure.

New longish post I couldn't divide up where things finally start moving again.
Non Sequitur: http://sparrowlegacychallenge.blogs...n-sequitur.html

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Scholar
#15307 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 4:10 PM
I have another update, Chapter 1.20
Field Researcher
#15308 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 6:34 AM
New update for the Marquels!

Chapter 3.05 - Anomaly

Call me Ann, or ConDre/condre.

_~...~_
Field Researcher
#15309 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 6:06 PM Last edited by MommyIce : 31st Jul 2017 at 6:42 PM.
I did it! I managed to update my RLC! Massages for Pregnant Ladies

I also completed Heatherfeather19's Memory Lane Challenge. Aw, so much fun looking back at my earlier generations! Black-Wolff Memory Lane Challenge
Instructor
#15310 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 5:17 PM
Re: adding store stuff. This is really specific to me as a player, but I really like being able to actually have my sims join a career, and I like having choices as to what they do if it's a non-standard career. So nectar maker/farmer is perfect because I can have my sims focus on a different thing depending on my interest. I really don't like mixologist because Lark is technically unemployeed and she keeps rolling wishes to join careers. That makes me feel like a guilty sim mom. XD

I know I still need to catch up with blogs, and I feel super bad about leaving off my last chapter on a cliffhanger. I had the following two chapters outlined and partially written and then I decided to change everything based on some comments and so now I have to start from scratch-ish. XD Whoops. I just wanna play my game and see what the new baby looks like!

Test Subject
#15311 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 6:22 PM
Hello!
I have a question about rolling careers. There is a primary career and 2 secondary careers and sometimes the secondary careers are like rabbitholes careers and you can´t have 2 careers at the same time so am I supposed to re roll or switch career later?
And I have a suggestion to add the how many kids roll with pets too.
Field Researcher
#15312 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 9:13 PM
Hey ZyxX! Welcome to the thread! ^-^
The way I'm getting what you're saying is that you have a roll which is like 'second chance' or 'double help' or something. In those cases, one sim to one career (like for second chance, the first partner gets the first rolled career and the second partner gets the second rolled career). However, if it's just regular couple then one secondary and one primary (the heir doesn't get a secondary career, only a primary).

TL;DR: When it comes to secondary, you get the number of careers for spouses/other people in the household, and one career per sim

Feel free to correct me or whatever if I get the wrong impression/misread, but yeah, that's my answer ^-^

eternal trash x

Test Subject
#15313 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 10:15 PM
I see! Thank you! ^-^
Field Researcher
#15314 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 3:09 AM
Welcome, ZyxX! And I'd have to know what you rolled as your marital structure to understand the question. If you have a couple, the heir is the primary and their spouse is the secondary, so there's only one secondary income in that case. Generally every sim in your marital structure is only going to have one income source for their lifetime, unless you rolled job hopper for one of them.

I have an update: 7.6 "Parenting Thing"
Field Researcher
#15315 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 6:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heatherfeather19
Welcome, ZyxX!

Seconding this! And about the helper roles I was curious too but I'm not that far into my legacy yet to have to deal with it, so I was also glad you asked. :3

On an unrelated note I don't have an update but I broke and decided to try the pose player after seeing everything you all are able to do with it (after playing TS3 since it's inception). And HOT DAMN I am never going back.
Screenshots

Field Researcher
#15316 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 9:11 PM
Been away for awhile, but here's an update!

2.15 Finished
Field Researcher
#15317 Old 5th Aug 2017 at 12:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Frogsnack
On an unrelated note I don't have an update but I broke and decided to try the pose player after seeing everything you all are able to do with it (after playing TS3 since it's inception). And HOT DAMN I am never going back.

Pose player is pretty epic, yeah. Have you tried the add-on as well? It gives even more dimension to the pose player. It's something I can no longer go without. XD

On an unrelated topic, I have a quick, fun, just-because-I'm-curious question. How do you choose your sims' names? I'm reaching the point in my legacy where I almost have to choose the first child's name and I'm struggling to decide. For *spoiler* reasons I can't use my normal method and it made me wonder how everyone else does it.

_~...~_
Scholar
Original Poster
#15318 Old 5th Aug 2017 at 1:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ConvictedDreamer
Pose player is pretty epic, yeah. Have you tried the add-on as well? It gives even more dimension to the pose player. It's something I can no longer go without. XD

On an unrelated topic, I have a quick, fun, just-because-I'm-curious question. How do you choose your sims' names? I'm reaching the point in my legacy where I almost have to choose the first child's name and I'm struggling to decide. For *spoiler* reasons I can't use my normal method and it made me wonder how everyone else does it.

When naming characters, I ask myself what the character's parent(s) would have named them.

So, once I ended up with an heir named Mittens.
Field Researcher
#15319 Old 5th Aug 2017 at 2:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ConvictedDreamer

Post is long sorry in advance... :/

Okay thank you for sharing that because I saw the add on and didn't want to go crazy out of the gate. But it makes a lot of sense for how many townies you'd have to add to your family just to use pose player on them for one or two shots, so that's going to be really helpful!

And about names I have way too much fun with them, normally for my TOT challenge which is in the Roman era and I use http://www.behindthename.com/names to go according to family origin (African, Greek, Roman, Gaelic, Amenian, Persian are represented now). The families I just played had five kids and got mostly Armenian names (Dilshad- means 'adorning the heart (f), Bahadur- means hero, warrior, brave (m), Savan- Lake (f), Maral- Deer (f), Sargis- meaning servant (m), so it's a lot of fun to name them.

For modern names if I don't want to look them up I think about the mother's mindset and how her pregnancy went or whether the father was with her at the time, or i do look them up based on mood or even what was around when the child was conceived or the mom gave birth and find names with meanings like 'lonely, loved, difficult, bright' etc. There's a gorgeous girl names Chrysanthe who has the best golden hair in that game... ahhh. Uhm.. and Ceres got her father's chest hair somehow (pictured). I have still never seen that in a game before or since (her name means to grow, and she grew herself some chest hair lol). I love it when they end up living up to their names.

For modern names those are there on that site too, you can chase the genealogy and about 75% of all modern names for girls just end up meaning Mary in another language anyways. XP
Screenshots

Field Researcher
#15320 Old 5th Aug 2017 at 8:45 AM
Names? Honestly I can't remember how I do it, been too long xD I know with Juniper and her kids, she likes Irish names so they're all getting Irish names, so sometimes I pick them like that. Other times I kinda go with a letter I kinda want the name to start with and roll from there, going on baby name websites and seeing what names I like the look of.
Or, like in the case of Belle, her name meant something to Alyssa (Belle's dad called Alyssa 'belle' as in beautiful and she thought Belle was beautiful and called her that blahblahblahcheesy)

If I'm really stuck, then I imagine the fully developed character, who they are and what they look like as an adult, and then pick a name that suits them. I only really do this for sims I make for other people, but *shrugs*

I don't think this was much help but there ya go xD

eternal trash x

Scholar
#15321 Old 5th Aug 2017 at 12:46 PM
I have another update, Chapter 2.21
With names, mine are normally related to the family name, my frist Rlc The Scarlett's had gem names and my current legacy have Spanish names.
Field Researcher
#15322 Old 5th Aug 2017 at 8:09 PM Last edited by Frogsnack : 7th Aug 2017 at 5:05 AM.
I finally updated (oh dear; it took me hours), in which prom finally begins.
I updated the Aurora Skies cafeteria for it and really liked the outcome. Also I had to run through 500 or so pictures to put everything together, sorry it took this long!

Post 10 is Arm's Length;
Arm's Length

This also makes ten blog posts, can I request that the Sparrow legacy be placed on the magical list of blogs by someone? I have no idea how often that list gets updated, so no worries if there's a cycle.

EDIT: Post 11 is also up! A Learning Experience Oh yeah and there're swear words in this one, so edgy!

@Skyegal19 It would be incredibly cute if they could actually pack school lunches for their kids, and if it helped with class performance or something. Ideas like that make me want to learn how to mod. :/
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#15323 Old 6th Aug 2017 at 3:06 AM Last edited by Nocriel : 6th Aug 2017 at 4:02 AM.
Now that Frogsnack mentioned it, I'd like to be added to the magical list of blogs too with the next update!

3.1 - Foul water

Took me a bit longer than expected thanks to terrible internet connection all week, but it seems to be working again. Also yay, first gen 3 post! :p

Regarding names, I don't really have one method I follow all the time. My founder Lena just got a random generic name because I didn't really have a character or story for her. Felicia's name (Felix if she had been a boy) was a play on 'feline' because of her cats and cat-like personality. Celestine got her name as a hint on her profession ('celestial' -> astrology, fortune telling) but was also inspired by Celestine of the Harvest, a very very minor WoW character. The gen. 3 kids will be named after (not so minor) WoW characters because I'm very much into WoW, and the gen. 4 kids will have names of professional dancers I admire because I'm very much into dance.
Field Researcher
#15324 Old 7th Aug 2017 at 1:53 AM
Thanks for the responses, guys! It's fun seeing the different answers. I have two different methods I use, which is pretty much a combo between Carrie's and Frog's. I use the origins of the parent's names, and randomise a name with behindthename to get the new name, but I tend to just continue hitting randomise until I get a name I like. For the Marquel's though, I've been going with purely French names (to celebrate the Hidden Heritage roll of the 1st generation) and a rough idea for the type of sound I wanted, then I use babynames.com (or something like that) to go through the list and select the name that fits most. I couldn't really use that idea for the next baby, because, well,

_~...~_
Field Researcher
#15325 Old 7th Aug 2017 at 4:53 PM
I've updated the roll call of blogs, I've moved the ones that haven't updated in a year (I know on the thing it says a month, but I feel like there's a few of us *coughmecough* who don't update frequently yet are still active enough to be counted as active) or the ones that have been knowingly discontinued. I've also added ones that fulfil the criteria (10 updates and a relatively recent update) which was quite a few!
I think it should be in somewhat order now ^-^

eternal trash x

Page 613 of 676