Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 4:00 PM
Default Fixing poor texture quality
I'm making a large wall mirror so I'm stuck cloning the EA three tile wall mirror. I changed the IMG's to 512 x 512 and mapped my mirror so that the frame takes up the entire space on the IMG. I fixed the mask width/height in the mtlsrc's for MLOD and MODL. My problem is that even having done those things the texture is still coming out looking very large on my mirror in the game.

I've made similarly sized paintings and had the texture come out looking acceptable on those so I'm thinking it's something about the way the game is recognizing the size of the IMG for this mirror (?) It's acting like I've got my object mapped to a tiny part of the IMG when it's mapped over the whole thing. Is there a way to fix this?

I'd switch to a different clone but there is no wall object clone I can think of that has two material groups that would give me a recolorable frame other than the one I'm using.

This picture shows what I mean. The mirror and the wall both have the same texture on them. The texture on the mirror is blown up in comparison to the wall.

Any help is appreciated.
Advertisement
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#2 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 4:13 PM
Maybe change the tiling? It is typecode 3c, 3d, 3e (pattern A, B, C). You're just talking about the lighter brown part, right?

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 4:19 PM
Yes, the darker brown part is the wall the lighter brown colored mirror is hanging on (sorry...the picture is not a very good one). The wall and the mirror both have the same texture applied.

I don't know how to change the tiling and I also don't know what to change it to. Is there some standard tiling that would give me a better effect or is the best way to get what I want to look at some other item and use the tiling numbers it has?
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#4 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 5:17 PM

Here I changed the 3c typecode (pattern A tiling) to change the cow print. It's kinda the same as changing the values in the .mtrlsc, except without the 0s. (x tiling, y tiling)

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 6:01 PM
Sweet!...thank you for showing me this. Where are the numbers to change located? And (sorry to bombard you with questions) what does pattern A, B, and C mean?
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#6 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 6:42 PM
OBJD->Materials->MaterialBlock->TypeCodes

Pattern A = First pattern selection in CAS
Pattern B = Second pattern selection in CAS
Pattern C = Third pattern selection in CAS

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 6:51 PM Last edited by orangemittens : 7th Feb 2010 at 7:07 PM.
You just saved my object from being banished to the Recycle Bin cmo...thanks again

ETA: ?? This is what I'm seeing in s3pe.

Am I in the right place? I don't see the place to change the numbers.

I have version 0912-13-1729.

Sorry to be so slow.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#8 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 7:58 PM
Yes, you're looking for ControlCode 0x3C (assuming you're changing Pattern A). The two Unknowns are the x,y tiling.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 9:22 PM
Woot! It worked

Before I kinda randomly clicked a few of the numbers in the left hand list and they all looked the same so I assumed I had gotten something wrong instead of looking through them all...me bad.

Thanks so much for helping me cmo...this is fantastic. One less constraint to Sims 3 meshing.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#10 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 9:43 PM
No problem.

note: Weird thing about the wall mirror shader, I added it to a rug and it still reflected like it was on the wall.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 10:14 PM
I've applied it to furniture pieces with uneven results as well. Same with glass shaders. They look fine on some things and not so good on others. Angle seems to be part of what determines that IMO.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#12 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 10:42 PM
What about the mirror strands you made? They were at different angles, did it affect them?

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Alchemist
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th Feb 2010 at 11:21 PM
Well, all of the mirror pieces are reflective but, depending on the angle you're looking at it, some of them sort of reflect things that are not there. Since it's a decorative piece this didn't bother me and, in fact, was kinda cool...it gave it more sparkle and color.

But I tried making a table with mirror and that came out poorly. The base, which I put the mirror slider on, was essentially a slightly reshaped 6 sided box. Some of the faces of the box were reflective and some not so much. When I tried to make a table with a mirror shader on the surface portion that didn't work either.

Maybe it was the object I cloned from...it was a while ago that I tried it and both of those objects went in the bin so I can't remember clearly what it was about 'em that was objectionable...but I do remember they weren't good enough to share and it was the mirror texture that was the problem.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#14 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 3:00 PM
Sorry for the double post but I've got another question about changing the tiling. I changed the tiling on my mirror and it looks fine in the game. But I just finished a table that I tried the same thing on and the part that I changed the tiling on looks blurry in the game.

The original table has two recolorable parts (table surface and table frame) and I wanted to move the map for the surface and frame parts onto one of those so I could use the other one for a fabric runner. So I shrunk the part of the map that the tabletop and frame use to 256 x 256 (they were 512 x 512), moved them so they occupy the same recolorable section of the IMG, and then retiled that recolorable part to double the tiling. In-game, in pattern selection mode, the pattern looks fine on the table. But when I switch to Live mode it becomes blurry.

I checked the mtlsrcs to make sure I have the right numbers for a 512 x 512 IMG and I do. I also made sure to empty all the caches. Is there something else I can do to fix the blurriness on the retiled part of my table? Or am I just shrinking the map for that part too much by dividing it in half?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#15 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 10:49 PM
Sorry for the triple post.

Someone asked me for pictures showing how to do this. I hope it's ok to just post them in the thread.

Pics

Then click the Grid button. Next:

then:

next:

last:

And the numbers should be changed in multiples of two I think. The larger the number, the smaller the pattern will appear on your object. Once you've made your changes click ok at the bottom right hand of each box until you get to the one where it says Commit instead. Then click Commit and go up to the File button and choose Save.

Hope that helps. And thanks again to Cmo who showed how to do this. I'm just illustrating what he showed me how to do.