Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 10:27 PM
Default Need help mapping/retexturing
I've looked through a ton of tuts, here on MTS, and on the wiki, and I can't seem to find one that helps me. I'm using lithunwrap. Does anyone have a good, indepth link to a tutorial on UV mapping with lithunwrap?! I resized a fence, and now the mesh is larger than the map *I'm guessing, because I honestly have no idea what I'm doing*

No, u can't haz cheezburger
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 11:36 PM
I use UVMapper since it's a bit simpler to use and you can change the height and width of the map.

In LithUnwrap, use the Planner option if it conisists of multiple shapes and for the axis, do Y axis. Then just move the items to wherever you want. Then export it as a .OBJ and open it up in a 3D modelling program to see if it turned out right, then export it as a image file you prefer and start texturing in a editing program.

I like to use Workshop(Okay to say?) to view my progress on my mesh with the texture and see how it turns out. You might want to do the same or use the built in one on Milkshape so you don't have to keep going back in-game.
Alchemist
#3 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 11:38 PM
What do you mean when you say the mesh is larger than the map? Could you show a picture to illustrate the effect you're getting in-game from the map you've made?
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 12:10 AM
I didn't change the map, Orange, but I resized the mesh. So now the textures on the fence itself appear magnified and stretched to fit the mesh, IE, everything appears larger, such as bricks, etc.

Alchemist
#5 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 12:32 AM
So then it sounds like what you need to do is re-tile your object's texture.

Have a look here:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=390319

If you didn't change the map but the texture is appearing too stretchy on your object in-game I can't think of another solution than that.

And call me OM, mittens, or orangemittens...I really don't care for Orange...lol.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 12:43 AM
Thank you OM. I'm going to have to study up on it. I'm using TSRW *Prepares for bombardment* Since the s3pi tools seem to crash my computer randomly *Sometimes they will work, other times they won't. but that's a different issue!*.

UPDATE: I was able to stretch them even farther! However, I'm unable to get them smaller...and I honestly have no idea what I did lolol. I just played around with the editor.

Alchemist
#7 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 1:19 AM
DDV, there is no need to prepare for bombardment...lol.

I think Inge said it best when she posted,"We wanted to encourage real choice for creators this time round, and I think between all the toolmakers, we are achieving it. Instead of seeing this as a TSRW versus S3PE rivalry, perhaps threads like this could explore which tasks are best in which tool. There is no reason any creator cannot use both systems at different times, depending on situation."

Anyway, when you say you played with the editor and made the texture stretch further were you using S3PE for that? And if so did you make the numbers bigger or smaller? If you make the numbers smaller the texture is gonna stretch. You need to make the numbers bigger. Cmo posted a picture in the thread I linked which illustrates that. I posted pics which should guide you to the place where you change the numbers. Give that a try and if you're still having problems post again.

Also, if the tools here are crashing your computer you should post about that in the tools forum. If it's happening to you it's probably happening to other people and you posting about it would be helpful for everyone. No one here bites...if you're having a problem just post it and get help. It may be that by doing so you will help others with the same problem.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 1:28 AM
Lol. I think it's just my comp, OM, or I would post it. Most programs I use randomly crash, I've just found that TSRW has been pretty nice to my system...

As for the stretching, I actually didn't mess with numbers. I think I pasted a bitmap over my mesh with lithunwrap. And no, I was using TSRW. However, I might try to run S3PE again, and see if I can do it that way.

I just made my first mesh a few days ago. Now I'm starting to train myself more and more. My problem is I tinker with the tools, then try to read tutorials when I'm stuck, and either end up reading the wrong one, or reading too many at once, and just confuse myself lol.

UPDATE: I still have no idea what the hell I'm doing. But I do thank you for your time. I can post you a screenshot of what I mean.

I'm attempting to make curved walls, but as you can see the texture is all wanky and magnified, and IDK where to change the numbers in TSRW like you did with s3pe, or if it's even possible

Alchemist
#9 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 2:00 AM
If you're planning on using the same exact map I think you could simply alter the tiling numbers to get the proper texturing on the object. To do that you'll need to mess with the numbers with S3PE but I can tell you, speaking as someone who doesn't care much for numbers, that it's pretty easy using s3pe.

If you try to change the map with pasting you're probably not gonna have success from what I've experienced working with this game...but I don't use TSRW so it might be different for you. I can't tell you if it's possible to change the numbers in TSRW because I've never had that tool on my computer. Which certainly isn't to say I'm gonna bombard you because you use it

It probably isn't just your computer...issues like that are probably problems that other people are having. My bet is that if you post your problem you can get an answer that will help. If you're having a random crash problem with other programs it may be that getting help with the s3 tools will help you figure out what's goin' wrong on your computer in general...dunno.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 2:25 AM
Idk, I'm thinking of using a diff map,so I can make the top and bottom portions recolourable, so it will look like part of the floor. I wouldn't know how to do that. *Sigh*. I know it has to do with the mask. But, that's about it lol. That's why I was hoping for a tutorial on mapping and texturing

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#11 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 3:13 AM
Tiling can be set in TSRW when you are working with your project, well at least the options are showing in the program. Select the textures tab, and scroll down to patterns. You will see the patterns, whether they are enabled, the default pattern, and the tiling. That tiling, ie: 2x2, should correspond to the size of your dds IMG. Meaning 2x2 should be a 512x512 Img. But to avoid stretching and squeezing the tiling and dds IMG should correspond with each other.
Sockpuppet
#12 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 3:30 AM
I think you could scale the mesh on the uvmap so it fits a 1024x1024 texture
Then expriment with the tiling.
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 3:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Tiling can be set in TSRW when you are working with your project, well at least the options are showing in the program. Select the textures tab, and scroll down to patterns. You will see the patterns, whether they are enabled, the default pattern, and the tiling. That tiling, ie: 2x2, should correspond to the size of your dds IMG. Meaning 2x2 should be a 512x512 Img. But to avoid stretching and squeezing the tiling and dds IMG should correspond with each other.

Marry me!

I found it. I'm still gonna have to mess with the texure...but at least the tiling is set up now. Thanks hon. I tried reaching you in #Create, but you're ignoring me as usual

Thanks again HL, and OM for your time and explanations.