Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jun 2015 at 1:56 AM
Default Selling things online--Advice, E-Bay vs. Amazon, etc.
Basically, I'm looking to unload some of my old stuff, and I saw that it would fetch a better price online than garage sale, and I'm just looking for advice on selling things. I've used Amazon before (and have an account obviously), but only as a buyer, not seller. I have never used E-Bay period.
Also, payment method. I'm looking to get actual money, not the site equivalent of money or gift cards, but I don't have a credit card or paypal account, so those are probably out.
Just looking for advice from people who have done lots of online selling before.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 30th Jun 2015 at 4:56 AM
E-bay is awful to their sellers. Like say, if someone tries to scam you by arguing that your item is broken, E-bay will go out of their way to protect the buyer and screw you. And I've never seen them side with the seller when things look sketchy. I would say Amazon is more likely to back you.
Instructor
#3 Old 30th Jun 2015 at 6:44 AM
There aren't many ways to sell without having to pay commissions. You can rely on sites like craigslist, or my personal favorite, Depop. It's a mobile app that works and looks exactly like Instagram (likes, followers, and so on) with the difference that you can actually buy the things you see, by clicking the Purchase button or getting in touch with the seller. It doesn't charge you for posting items, it only has a 10%fee on items you sell through the purchase button. But again, you can just make a deal with the seller/buyer and pay outside Depop.
I would recommend you to always use paypal if you have to use any non-cash payment. They take a 2% fee but it's the only payment method that lets you, both as a buyer and as a seller, open disputes and actually have someone help you.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Theorist
#4 Old 30th Jun 2015 at 9:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by anothereyjana
Basically, I'm looking to unload some of my old stuff, and I saw that it would fetch a better price online than garage sale, and I'm just looking for advice on selling things. I've used Amazon before (and have an account obviously), but only as a buyer, not seller. I have never used E-Bay period.
Also, payment method. I'm looking to get actual money, not the site equivalent of money or gift cards, but I don't have a credit card or paypal account, so those are probably out.
Just looking for advice from people who have done lots of online selling before.

I think having a PayPal account is mandatory for transacting on Ebay. I've had an Ebay account for so long (since 1998) that I long ago stopped paying attention to the current requirements for setting up an account, but I'm pretty sure they made PayPal mandatory a few years ago.
That said, I also don't know offhand whether one needs a credit card to set up a PayPal account, or whether PayPal can access an account directly through a bank account number. One obviously and definitely needs a bank account, because PayPal has to be able to send money somewhere, or get it from somewhere if you're buying something.
For casual buying and/or selling, I think Ebay is the way to go, instead of Amazon, because it seems Ebay gives you much more control over your listing and Amazon seems to be set up more for people who are running a retail business.

While I've never sold anything on Amazon, I'm under the impression that it is geared more toward people who actually run a retail business, as opposed to occasional buyers and sellers. Prices for shipping for example, seem standardized (eg, $3.99 for books), and there is next to no option for including a detailed description of an item. Listing an item on Amazon could mean that the item disappears among many other similar items and might take a long time to sell. Just look at the way books are listed by their alternative sellers and you will see what I mean. As a casual and occasional seller and buyer, I wouldn't even consider Amazon as a selling option.

Craigslist for items that are better sold locally (like larger items that would be hard to package and ship, or items that a buyer would want to inspect in person before buying) and Ebay for smaller items that are easy to package and ship is the way I would go.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 30th Jun 2015 at 10:53 AM
You don't need a credit card to set up a PayPal account, just a bank account.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
#6 Old 30th Jun 2015 at 3:33 PM
I've sold tens of thousands of dollars of crap on eBay. You do need a PayPal account to use eBay. You can list for free up to 20-auctions per month, but they charge a pretty good size cut in final value fees if your item sells. It keeps going up and up. It was 3% when I started, now up to 10%. Then PayPal takes their cut, 3%. So expect 13% in fees.
I prefer selling on eBay, because I sell a lot of stuff that is just crap that I want to get out of my house and I don't know and don't care how much it's worth, I just want it gone. With Amazon, you have to know how much your stuff is worth. With eBay, I just start it at 99-cents (which just barely covers fees) and if it sells for that, at least I got rid of it. If it sells for more, awesome. Sometimes I do sell things for profit or that I don't want to just give away, so I'll give it a starting price of the very minimum I would accept and any bids above that are a bonus. Sometimes the final bid price is very disappointing, sometimes it's a pleasant surprise. The important thing for me is that I have less crap sitting around, taking up space in my house. It's true eBay/PayPal always sides with the buyer, but very seldom have I had any problems. The important thing is to be VERY detailed and honest in your description of the item. If the item has scuffs, scratches, mention it and take photos of it. You can add up to 12 high-resolution photos for no cost, so too many photos is better than not enough. Usually if the buyer knows EXACTLY what they are getting and are aware of all the caveats and flaws, they won't complain. It's better to understate your item's condition than overstate it. I also prefer selling on eBay because I'm an introvert and I hate meeting people to sell stuff in person, it causes me so much social anxiety to have to talk to people over the phone and arrange a meet like you'd have to do on Craigslist.

I do sell on Craigslist as well, usually stuff that's too big and heavy to ship, or that the shipping cost is higher than its value so nobody would buy it on eBay. Just sold a lawnmower on Craigslist last Sunday in fact. So far, I haven't had any problems, but it's best if it's an item you can meet someone at a public place. I'm sure you've heard of the Craigslist robbers and murderers on the news. It's rare, but it happens.

Resident wet blanket.
Instructor
#7 Old 30th Jun 2015 at 5:07 PM
I think you only need an email adress to start a PayPal account. At least it was like that a few years ago. A friend wanted to buy something on Alibaba so I helped him setup a PayPal and then I transferred money to his PayPal from my PayPal. (He gave me cash instead.) He did not add any bank account or credit card.
You only need the bank account if you want to withdraw money.
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 6:25 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies, they've been really helpful. I'm just trying to unload some old toys I still had lying around. Mostly a bunch of Gen. 1 My Little Ponies that I haven't touched since I was about 6. Because apparently that's what you automatically get a little girl growing up in the '90's. Not that I hated them, I just didn't play with them very often after that, and they really weren't meant for kids older than that anyway. Not to mention the whole gender stereotyping thing.

So yeah, it's. just a bunch of small items, so it sounds like e-bay is the way to go, and while researching prices, it showed that that's where most of the buyers for them go anyway. About the auctions though, about how long do they usually last/ what's a good length to keep them open for? Do you even have any control over that, or is it something closer to an automated system?

Also, I'm still a bit confused about how shipping costs are handled. I know that the buyer pays for shipping, but how do the costs work on the seller's end? Do they reimburse you for the initial cost of sending out the package via mail, or some similar system?
Instructor
#9 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 7:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by anothereyjana

Also, I'm still a bit confused about how shipping costs are handled. I know that the buyer pays for shipping, but how do the costs work on the seller's end? Do they reimburse you for the initial cost of sending out the package via mail, or some similar system?

You just need to find out how much shipping would cost you and then set it as the shipping costs. When someone buys the item eBay automatically sums up the item's price with the shipping costs and you get the money for both. You only ship when you get the money.
Obviously you need to investigate on how much shipping would cost you, because there's nothing worse than assuming a low shipping cost and finding out (after the buyer has paid) that it's much more than that and you have to pay it yourself

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 12:47 PM
First I haven't bought something on eBay in at least 2 years. But in reference to the shipping costs, it seems like each seller decides what the stated shipping costs are going to be and they can include 'handling' which is whatever they want to charge for the shipping materials and labor and "other" . Before I bid on something, I would always consider the shipping. Because you can get something for $10, but then if the shipping is $12.99 it might not be a good deal anymore.
Speaking of eBay favoring the buyer - I always gave the sellers a good rating because I'm trying to be helpful to them. But the one time I tried to give someone a bad rating, the site wouldn't let me - it said I had to try to work it out with the seller first who didn't send the correct item and was a lunatic and sent me crazy emails.
Theorist
#11 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 3:10 PM
Default auction length is 7-days. You can choose 1, 3, 5, 7, or 10 days. If you're using the fixed price format (where you set a fixed price with no bidding), is an additional 30-day or Good 'Til Cancelled listing duration.
There are 3 ways to handle shipping.
1. Free shipping, where seller pays for all shipping costs. I like this as a buyer, but as a seller, it can screw you, especially if you allow international bidders as their shipping cost is much higher. If you do this, be SURE you make your starting bid the minimum you'll accept for the item plus highest expected shipping costs (which you'll need to find out in advance).
2. Fixed price shipping. This is like what Gabrymato explained, you'll need to find out shipping cost in advance and all sellers would be charged this amount. If you do this, be sure to make sure this cost is for the furthest place you're willing to ship. For example, if you're in the US and willing to ship only within the US, make sure to check shipping price for the furthest coasts away from you and be sure the price you enter is at least this amount.
3. Calculated shipping. This is personally what I use, as it does NOT require you to know shipping cost in advance. Instead, this requires you to weigh your packed item and measure the box, then enter the dimensions and weight into the auction. You then choose what methods you're willing to ship. For example, USPS First Class, USPS Parcel Select, USPS Priority, UPS Ground, UPS 3-day, etc. Your buyer then can choose from the services you've provided, and eBay automatically calculates the shipping cost and adds it to the high bid amount. I personally prefer USPS for small items because I can just put it in my mailbox with the flag up and have the postal worker pick it up. If you print your shipping label through the eBay site, then the shipping cost is guaranteed not to be any higher than what eBay charged the buyer so you don't lose on shipping cost. This also makes international shipping pretty easy, because as long as you don't need insurance or other special services, you can also print international shipping labels right from eBay just as easily as a domestic label and a USPS postal worker will pick them up for free as well.

For both options #2 and #3, you can add an additional handling fee for packaging, gas, time, whatever.

It's definitely possible to give a seller a bad rating, but it's impossible to give a buyer one. I know, because a buyer recently gave me a negative. It says, "Great ebayer and seller!!!", so I guess they made it negative by mistake. I asked them to change it, but they didn't respond or change it, and I asked eBay if they could do anything about it, but not a peep from them. Sucks, because it tarnished my 100% positive record.

Resident wet blanket.
#12 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 9:55 PM
I've always liked Amazon for buying things. The items always arrive on time and in good condition.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
#13 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 10:02 PM
I've sold online at Etsy in the past - when I was living in Ireland, I made jewelry and sold it there. Etsy is similar to Ebay insomuch as there is a fee and the transactions go through PayPal - the point is however is that the buyer is king and the seller had no protection from buyers who would order something, use it (say for a wedding) and then return it as 'no good' demanding their money back - these kind of buyers use leaving bad feedback as their blackmail tool to getting their money back, essentially holding respectable sellers to ransom.

Another selling option for you might be local Facebook buy/sell pages for your area?
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th Jul 2015 at 6:40 PM
Thank you so much everyone for your help, and I'm sorry it took me so long to reply, I've just been a bit preoccupied. I've been in the process of trying to prep the items for sale, since I needed to get a basic ID of each item before pricing, plus pics for selling. It's basically taken me 10+ accumulated hours so far. On what is essentially cataloging rainbow and pastel colored plastic toy horses. .__. Yeah, I have fond childhood memories of them, but I'm still not sure how I feel about that.