Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 2:37 PM
Default Prairie Fire House
So I started making a large prairie-style home, but somehow along the way, i decided to shift it into a fire station. However, I thought it would be fun to keep the idea that it was a home to start with. As towns often grow, areas change, residential areas become commercial, things get torn down, but sometimes a few of the more impressive or significant structures stick around. But figuring out what to do with those buildings is often a civic nightmare. Who really wants a huge awesome home in an area that no longer has any other huge awesome homes? The practice of re-purposing really inspired me. So many parts of this house are still original--the entry, giant living room, staircase, and reading nook (with a bookcased hall leading to it). The floor for the original dining room was left, but office have been partitioned over it. The service/kitchen wing was demolished and rebuilt into the huge garage to house the firetrucks. The backyard was dug out, and the basement made into a large great room space with lounge and kitchen and dining. The upper floor was also gutted for the sleeping area and restrooms, with a gym over the garage.

My main issues are that this is a larger build--for a fire station. At least for me. So i'm not sure what all I should put in places. There are 3 rooms that I'm not sure what to do with.

??1 is what would have been the sleeping porch off the master bedroom. It is sill off the sleeping quarters, so I don't want a really specific room that folks would be passing by sleeping people to get to. I'm thinking just a sitting area, or more beds? I don't want to lessen or close of the windows there, as it is probably one of the more specific architecture features that a re-purpose would like to preserve.

??2 this probably would have been the kitchen or at least the breakfast room part for informal meals of the original house. Now it is kinda in the office section, so I was thinking conference room or training or more offices, but not sure what really to put in there.

??3 OMG this room. No idea. I already have two very large spaces dedicated to lounging, and there will be more seating when i get the outdoor and porch areas furnished. I have skill and entertainment items strewn throughout already. Just no clue.

Laundry? Yay or nay? Currently I have a small room for storage near the bathrooms, i could easily put in a washer and dryer in there, But that kinda seems like an annoying thing to put in a fire station.

Single garage? Right now I have a garage that fits two engines that pushes to the boundary of the lot. Was thinking to making it smaller. (I could then have the same larger over hang on the room. That part currently does not.) Would be shift to the gym, but would make the whole thing a bit less massive.

Still furnishing, but I've noticed my time is a lot of rotating and thinking which is getting me nowhere. So toss me your thoughts!

Thanks!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 4:08 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 7th Feb 2015 at 4:54 PM.
Maybe one of those rooms could be a private bedroom. A visiting fire marshall may well use a local hotel, but then again s/he might prefer to stay at the actual firehouse.

Or, if you have both male and female firefighters, maybe you could reconfigure a couple of walls, and divide up the sleeping quarters?

I love the exterior lines of this. It's beautifully balanced.

ETA:

I vote for a laundry.
Personally, I like the idea of the two bays for the fire engines.
#3 Old 9th Feb 2015 at 3:54 AM
Two fire engine person here and also a laundry would be useful One of the small rooms could be a gear stow? My mind had wandered to a first aid room too.

That said, I love it and as tsyokawe said it is beautifully balanced and a delight.
Scholar
#4 Old 9th Feb 2015 at 7:58 AM
My thought would be that the room at the end of the sleeping quarters would be for the truck's captain/lieutenant/whatever they call them. You know, lower ranking than the person in charge of the whole house but still higher ranking than most of them? (Sorry, I'm working off what I've picked up as an ex-viewer of Chicago Fire ). So like a bed and a desk I guess? They had a setup like that on the show. (we need a shrugging emoji. why don't we have a shrugging emoji?). They also had a laundry room, so yeah, go ahead and throw that in!

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun