Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#76 Old 23rd Jan 2006 at 7:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by generalzoi
I've been looking through the site rules and everything, and this seem like the best place to post this.

Do mesh creators have the right to allow/disallow recolors of their meshes to be shared online? Is the original texture considered the property of the original creator, or can the argument be made that the recolor doesn't really contain anything by the mesher, so there's no way he/she can say it can't be shared? I assumed that mesh creaters reserved that right, but recently I've begun to wonder if I'm wrong.

If its a literal colour change of their graphic then that is not covered by fair usage and they do have the right to say no because it bears a very strong resemblance to the original image and in fact the reverse colour change can be done to the recolour to restore it to its original state. If the texture is wildly different can obviously doesn't use the original as a base then I guess the situation is more murky, legally I think no, provided the mesh isn't being distributed by the recolourist, I think the mesh creator would have a hard time stopping it.

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#77 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 12:05 AM
What about content here on MTS2? I have just started building houses and would like to use some stuff from here, giving proper credit, of course. If a mesh and/or recolor is already available here, would it be permissable to use it in a lot?

Just a regular person
Super Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#78 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 12:17 AM
As this site is basically storage for hundreds of thousands of creators- and we do not specifically own any upload, You have to ask permission from the original creator of the content personally. Most people post their wishes on their upload page- if they dont you can utilize the PM system from their profile to ask them their wishes for their content.
Scholar
#79 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LyricLee
As this site is basically storage for hundreds of thousands of creators- and we do not specifically own any upload, You have to ask permission from the original creator of the content personally. Most people post their wishes on their upload page- if they dont you can utilize the PM system from their profile to ask them their wishes for their content.

this is what you told me:

You still can not waste server space and package the meshes with the cas- only your cas needs to be in that post. Everyone else links to the meshes- and people get them for themselves- its a waste of space to repost meshes in your thread

or does that only apply to CAS?

Rhondalatte's Custom CAS screens: http://blackpearlsims.com/ (formerly known as Reflex forum)

DeesElegantDecor - Beautiful furnishings:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/DeesElegantDecor/
Super Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#80 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 12:31 AM
CAS screens are slightly different-
I took her question as to mean general redistribution of mts2 creators content.
You must ALWAYS have a creators permission to use their content first of all. its common courtesy. Secondly, some lots that people build require certain windows, or walls or items to be packaged with them or the lot doesnt turn out right.

A CAS screen only needs the mesh to be in the game somewhere and the CAS screen will function properly- No one has to edit and place items for those so yes we only allow links on CAS screens.
Houses would sometimes have to be rebuilt which defeats the purpose of uploading a house.

Just be sure all creators are ok with using their content.
Scholar
#81 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 3:46 AM
Unless the few items that I use to make it are included, the CAS will not appear as it was designed. I have written permissions from other creators for use of their meshes.
When a CAS file is placed in the download file and then removed, the meshes included in it then will not be in the game, like a rug mesh or a particular window
etc. Some downloaders want to change CAS screens and that leads to alot of juggling of files. It's just easier to have the meshes in the CAS file.

Rhondalatte's Custom CAS screens: http://blackpearlsims.com/ (formerly known as Reflex forum)

DeesElegantDecor - Beautiful furnishings:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/DeesElegantDecor/
Field Researcher
#82 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 6:49 AM
Thanks for replying. I was just curious about it.

Just a regular person
Page 4 of 4