Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2018 at 4:51 PM
Default I hate the roofing tool.
I've built a house I originally intended to be just for a Sim of mine, but liked the end result enough to upload it here for others to use. After some problems, I reconstructed the entire house to look much better-looking than its original incarnation:

However, it was not accepted because, among other things, it uses auto-roof, which does not look good. I personally think it looks alright, but I tried to edit it further to improve its looks. Today, I managed to improve the yard as well as add something else to a previously-bland hall:

As for the roof... Well. Just like the title says: I hate the roofing tool. I have no idea how it works. It makes no sense to me. Why does it even exist? I've been recommended to use the garbled shed or hipped shed roofs to make the garage look like this:

But by following the instructions, I simply got this:

Lesson learned: Never let me anywhere near the roofing tool, kids! Jokes aside, after a little more fidgeting, I managed to get it to look like this:

But honestly, it's really not that different from the auto roof(which I stilll don't think is bad-looking). Except the garage's roof, which looks worse. How am I even supposed to fix this? There are zero tutorials on how to make good roofs.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Feb 2018 at 5:33 PM
Do you have M&G stuff? If so, there is a tool to allow you to change the roof slope angle to make the roof less 'pointy'.

If you have pets or later but no M&G, you can use the cheat:
individualroofslopeangle xx (where xx is an angle between 10 and 75)
And ctrl-alt click the roof to change the angle.
Instructor
#3 Old 8th Feb 2018 at 6:13 PM
I like the roofing tool in The Sims 2 best since I can set the exact numbers of roof angle size. I think the recommended roof type is half hipped one, not half gable. Try using half hipped roof and adjust the height like Simsample suggested.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Feb 2018 at 6:18 PM
I do have M&G, as I have the Ultimate Collection. How do I use that tool?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th Feb 2018 at 7:23 PM
Move the slider to the angle you like and then click on a roof.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 5:49 AM
I used to have all kinds of trouble with the roofing tool, too, and the only real fix for it is to use it a lot. Here's some basic principles of roofing that I've learned.

1. Make sure you're on the right level! I used to have all kinds of trouble in plan view, trying to roof the wrong level. If the mouse has cat hair on it, I'm also likely to find myself in the wrong place.
2. Identify the largest continuous rectangle, and roof that first. Then roof the smaller rectangles that intersect it, making sure you keep pulling the roof till the ridgepoles merge.
3. It's perfectly okay to have different roof angles on different segments of the same roof. Something that looks absurd with everything at 30 degrees can look fine if the smaller roof is at 15 degrees.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 5:59 AM
Opel, look at the roof picture over the garage that we sent back to you. I fiddled around in AGS with your roof and did that with the hipped roof. I had to remove the furniture, the doors and windows in the way then draw it all the way over in one go and used the lower pitch tool. Fel free to replicate that.

Auto roof isn't allowed as per the Creator Guidelines because it generally gives a very poor to ugly roof. Sometimes part can be auto roofed then lowered with the pitch tool.

The slope roof tool is the only easy part of sims 2 roofing, simply slide or click it down to a lower angle. Over porches or areas where you want a window to show try 15-20 degrees. The main part is usually fine at about 35. I think I did the garage at about 25.

I think the moderator on your lot might have suggested gable for the main area not over the garage.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 5:33 PM
Alright, I followed your advices, and I achieved this. Seems better than the auto-roof, so does it qualify for uploading?

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 11:31 PM
That is looking lots better. I do see one small gap with white showing through so of the roofs needs to be drawn just a bit larger. Roofs can be dragged inside of each other to get different effects. Otherwise yes, I would say your roof is approvable.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#10 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 12:09 AM
That is looking much better, well done! The bit over the garage needs to join up to the wall better. Try using the shed hipped roof to achieve that. It's the second one in the catalogue.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 3:37 AM
I'll give it a try, then. Thanks for the feedback! I might need an extended deadline for this, though. (I'm pretty sure the queue expires either on Sunday or Monday; can you extend it to Wednesday, please?)

Also, while I'm at it, I think I'm going to run into a problem; I already have the previous version of the lot stored in my Lots & Housing menu. There's no way to delete it. and I don't really want to rename my house again, so... what to do?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 5:59 AM
Why can't you delete it?

~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#13 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 8:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by OpelSpeedster
I might need an extended deadline for this, though. (I'm pretty sure the queue expires either on Sunday or Monday; can you extend it to Wednesday, please?)
Extension given until Wednesday 21 Feb, 12mn. Let me know how you get on with that, happy to extend for a little longer if needs be

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 6:57 PM
Thanks for the extension! Also, I fidgeted with the roofing, and I couldn't get to fix that roof over the garage, unfortunately. I used the shed hipped roof, but it just gave me the exact same roof that I used in those pictures(turns out I used that one all along). I tried using the shed garbled roof, but it insists in pointing to the wrong direction whenever I try to connect it to the wall, then says it cannot overlap with existing objects. It's frustrating.

Oh, and I found out I hadn't noticed the "delete lot" button on the bottom right corner. Sorry about that.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#15 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 8:24 PM
You may have to remove windows and room objects in the rooms adjacent to the roof area that you are trying to roof whilst you do it. It is possible because joandsarah77 has done it

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 8:40 PM
Well, can I add them back once I'm done?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 10:10 PM
Like I said above, you have to remove the furniture, windows and doors, then draw the hipped roof over in one go. You had 3 pieces, 3 won't give you the same look because each piece was slopping two ways. That's how it formed the gully. It has to be one piece drawn from one edge to another edge making sure you cover the whole garage area. Don't stop because of walls, just draw it like the walls are not there. Once drawn, lower with the roof pitch tool then replace back the items.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 2:51 PM
Alright, thanks for clarifying. Here's v-final, hopefully:

Is it upload-worthy now?
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#19 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 7:40 PM
Well done with the roof! The greenhouse needs removing or reducing a lot in size as it dominates the garden. How about adding a table and chairs there with a BBQ? or just a seating area under a tree?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 9:13 PM Last edited by OpelSpeedster : 11th Feb 2018 at 11:30 PM.
Aw, do I really have to? The house was pretty much made because I wanted a lot with a garage while still having space for gardening, so...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 10:13 PM
Yes, I would reduce the size of the greenhouse or change the colour and add some rows of garden dirt in there if it's meant for growing produce. You have some well-placed dirt trail then it's all grass in there. Right now it draws the eye across and looks very bare.

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#22 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 11:23 PM
There you go, it's a nice-looking house now with a very good looking roof.
Roofs are something you just have to play with a little bit to get the desired effect. I'm a very experienced Sims 2 lot builder and I'm sometimes still frustrated with the roofs. It's also hard to explain things regarding roofs here in the forums.

If I might make a couple of other suggestions: Your upstairs is plenty big enough for three good-sized bedrooms and two full bathrooms, if you eliminate that overly long hallway. I would recommend a complete re-design of the upstairs.
Additionally, a fairly large house like this calls for conventional stairs, not spiral stairs. If you extend that corner of the house by 1 square, you'll have enough room for conventional stairs using the indoor foundation/stage tool.
Just a couple of suggestions.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 12:59 PM

I still kept the greenhouse white because a green greenhouse doesn't fit well with the rest of the house:

Also, I'm too tired of remodelling the house to redesign the second floor or to add conventional stairs, especially 'cause it would end up making the bedrooms feel cramped and it'd go against the design spirit of the house(cozy spacious house at not too high a price). And after constantly having to remodel and redesign the house, at this point I just want to be done with it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 1:12 PM
The layout is okay, so long as you are happy with it, you only had to complete the CR which you have done. I was thinking the wood recolour for the greenhouse not the green, but again this is your choice. I don't think there was anything wrong with white it was more the size and bareness. Your photo above of the white greenhouse is a bit stretched, be careful not to give stretched ones in your submission.

~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#25 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 2:29 PM
It's looking much better now Although I still think your garden would be much prettier without the greenhouse.