Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 5:05 PM
Default Sims 3 doesn't run properly on my GeForce GTX 970 video card
Hello everyone!

The Sims 3 doesn't run properly on my new high end gaming PC. The game runs very laggy.

Before I decided to post this thread, I tried several popular solutions, but they didn't solve the issue completely.

First and foremost here is my DxDiag report:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/seoqgw9il...DxDiag.txt?dl=0

When I first installed the game, it told me that it didn't recognize my video card.

Then I searched for a solution, and I did this:

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...zed_by_the_game

I did all the steps and the game recognized my card, but the issue persisted - the game was laggy and choppy.

After that when I checked the DeviceConfig file, I noticed that my GPU Memory rating was 1. Then I tried making this change in the GraphicsRules.sgr file:

seti gpumemLevelUber 4
seti gpumemLevelHigh 4
seti gpumemLevelMedium 4
seti gpumemLevelLow 4

The GPU Memory rating changed to 4, but the issue persisted again.

Then in the DeviceConfig file I noticed this line:

"Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>"

This is ridicules, since my video card has 4 GB of memory. I compared the DeviceConfig file on my laptop (that has a vastly inferior graphics card), where the game works just fine, and on that line the memory was 1696 MB.

Here is the current status of my DeviceConfig file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cynf7ypiy...Config.log?dl=0

I also have 2 graphics cards:

1) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
2) Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

I think that maybe the game tries to use the Intel card? I tried tinkering with the Nvidia Control Panel, but that didn't do anything

I kept googling my issue and I'm now stuck. So I decided to post here.

Can you guys help me to get the game working properly?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
change

seti textureMemory 32
setb textureMemorySizeOK false

to

seti textureMemory 1024
# setb textureMemorySizeOK false

I did this, and now it says: Texture memory: 1024MB

The game still handles weird. It's less choppy and laggy this time, not perectly smooth like other games I run on my PC, like Sims 4.

Btw, when I start Sims 3, unlike other games, where I can hear my video card beginning to work more powerfully, I also hear a beeping noise. This only happens when I start Sims 3. Maybe the game is still trying to use the integrated graphics card?

Also in my GPU monitor, I see ridiculous GPU usage! Sometimes 70-80, or even 90%!! Which is too much GPU usage for this game!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 7:43 AM
Woah!! woah! Ok, stop playing!

Get Nvidia inspector and enable the FPS limiter for TS3. TS3 doesn't have a FPS limiter and on newer more powerful cards, it will burn out and damage your card. Set the FPS limit to 60 FPS.

Ok, I'm going to press enter so you can see this if you are here, then continue to write.

EDIT: Continue...

Anyways, you've played TS3 before, right? You cannot compare this game to other games because it is an open world simulator. It is how the game runs, when you pan over a building, it will load everything and you'll see a hit on the FPS. TS4 is just a dollhouse game that barely need a mid-level computer to run. In TS3, your whole world is running even when you are not seeing it, your neighbors, other sims, are living in the world doing their thing, going to places, etc...

Also, how well TS3 performs also relies on other factors such as your HDD, since it is constantly caching with the cache file. Refer to this thread: How to run TS3 > 4 GB RAM. Utilizing a RAMdisk for your TS3 will probably improve your gaming more than anything else.

Finally, it is perfectly normal for GPU load to go into the 70/80% for TS3 (Though this might change once you set a FPS limiter). Mine even goes up to 100% when I'm in fullscreen. If you want to lessen the burden on your GPU, play in window mode.

First off, I wasn't playing the game. I have absolutely no desire to play the game in it's current state. All I did was test the gameplay for 2-3 minutes at a time.

I downloaded NVIDIA Inspector and I didn't find an option to set an fps limiter to the Sims 3.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 1:12 PM
click on the profile setting, choose the TS3 profile and look for FPS limiter and turn it on.

There are quite a lot of tutorials on how to do this on Google. Just google: Nvidia Inspector FPS limiter

Okay I did that. I limited the game to 60 FPS.

The GPU usage dropped down to 20-40% and I no longer hear my GPU fan starting to work harder when I start the game.

I do experience a lot of screen tearing and choppiness now.

EDIT: I set Vertican Sync to "Force ON"

And that solved the problem.

I am still experiencing some slight choppiness. Much less than before, but still not perfect.

What else can I try to do for optimum performance?

Thank you for the advice btw.
Instructor
#10 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 7:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by F_I_X_E_R
First off, I wasn't playing the game. I have absolutely no desire to play the game in it's current state. All I did was test the gameplay for 2-3 minutes at a time.

I downloaded NVIDIA Inspector and I didn't find an option to set an fps limiter to the Sims 3.

Do you have any EP/SP/CC/Mods installed or just the base game? And have you patched the game to its latest patch?

If it's only the base game then it might be something related to your Nvidia GPU compatibility, you might need to download its latest driver, but if you have EP/SP/CC/Mods installed, it could be something else that are not related to your Nvidia GPU, but either way still you need the FPS limiter installed no matter what for TS3 even for test run for 2-3 minutes.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 8:12 PM
It is hard to tell whether your choppiness is really from a problem or it is just the way the game is. Here, check out this video and tell me if your game at least runs better than this video. This video was done with Intel HD 4000 in windowed mode running only 10-15 fps. But it is pretty smooth, not really any choppiness or jerkiness.

TS3 on Intel HD 4000

Some suggested changing the Vsync type to adaptive would reduce microstuttering and of course using triple buffer. But those should be small.

Do checkout the other link with how to set up your RAMdisk. Putting your TS3 cache and thumbnails on a RAMdisk will help a lot especially on those using HDD. If you are using SSD, it will still be better, but not as much noticeable as HDD.

Also you can play around with the compatibility if you like. I'm running Win 7 and I have no compatibility turned on.

Other than that, this is pretty much how the game should run. My game averages around 30-40 FPS, I can get as high as 60 if I don't move the camera, but as low as 5 or 6 if I'm panning over a building and it needs to load everything. HDD is basically what slows down my game.

There's also routing lag, but that's a whole different story.

----

BTW, you mentioned you are running some GPU monitor? Can you tell me if your Nvidia is using dedicated memory or dynamic memory? Thanks, I've always wondered about that with the memory fix I suggested above.

Pffffff....

My game runs much better than on the video you showed me.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 8:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
Do you have any EP/SP/CC/Mods installed or just the base game? And have you patched the game to its latest patch?

If it's only the base game then it might be something related to your Nvidia GPU compatibility, you might need to download its latest driver, but if you have EP/SP/CC/Mods installed, it could be something else that are not related to your Nvidia GPU, but either way still you need the FPS limiter installed no matter what for TS3 even for test run for 2-3 minutes.

No, just a clean install of the base game and nothing else.

I used to play Sims 3 a lot back in the day on my 2010 era laptop, and I own most of the expansion packs.

When I installed everything in one go on my new PC, and I started the game for the first time, I was like "Whaaaaaat the fuck..... Oh God, now I remember how many bugs are in this game..."

Then I tried several things, they all failed, then I uninstalled everything.

Now I just did a clean install of the base game for testing reasons to see if I can runt the game at all.

And now I'm here with you guys.
Instructor
#13 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 8:59 PM Last edited by PapaEmy : 8th Jun 2015 at 9:22 PM.
No, just a clean install of the base game and nothing else.

I used to play Sims 3 a lot back in the day on my 2010 era laptop, and I own most of the expansion packs.

When I installed everything in one go on my new PC, and I started the game for the first time, I was like "Whaaaaaat the fuck..... Oh God, now I remember how many bugs are in this game..."

Then I tried several things, they all failed, then I uninstalled everything.

Now I just did a clean install of the base game for testing reasons to see if I can runt the game at all.

And now I'm here with you guys.

Ok. can you give us more specific details of your laptop's spec? And what OS you are running, because switchable GPUs laptop (like mine Lenovo E330, it has Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia GT610M) can't run its Nvidia GPU on Windows 7 Starter, I think is because of Windows 7 Starter doesn't supports switchable GPUs because it runs just fine with other Windows 7 versions.

I assumed that you're testing TS3 on a new game not previously saved game, I had this kind of trouble before but not in my laptop but on my PC with GTX680, the TS3 BG didn't recognized my GTX680, but after I patched the BG to 1.67 then its recognized my GTX680 and my problem solved, you can try to patch your game to 1.67 and see if its recognized your GTX970, but if it still the same, try updating your Nvidia driver to 352.86 or newer for notebook version (don't use the desktop version) x86 or x64 depends on your OS you are running.

And if you have tried all of the above I mentioned and it still the same, I think there's only one way to make it work to enable you to play the game in your laptop, set your graphic setting in TS3 menu to the lowest setting, this will make your game playable and safer for your GTX970, and yes you still need the FPS limiter running.

PS (Edited): We're trying to make your TS3 BG recognized your GTX970 first, then we can find the cause(s) what makes the game lagging if it's still lagging or chopping, I don't think it will lagging/chopping after its recognized it (based on my GTX680 experience), but if TS3 still failed to recognized your GTX970 after you patched it, then the only way I can think of is to lower your graphic setting to the lowest in TS3 menu cause that what happened to me before its recognized my GTX680
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 12:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
Ok. can you give us more specific details of your laptop's spec? And what OS you are running, because switchable GPUs laptop (like mine Lenovo E330, it has Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia GT610M) can't run its Nvidia GPU on Windows 7 Starter, I think is because of Windows 7 Starter doesn't supports switchable GPUs because it runs just fine with other Windows 7 versions.

I assumed that you're testing TS3 on a new game not previously saved game, I had this kind of trouble before but not in my laptop but on my PC with GTX680, the TS3 BG didn't recognized my GTX680, but after I patched the BG to 1.67 then its recognized my GTX680 and my problem solved, you can try to patch your game to 1.67 and see if its recognized your GTX970, but if it still the same, try updating your Nvidia driver to 352.86 or newer for notebook version (don't use the desktop version) x86 or x64 depends on your OS you are running.

And if you have tried all of the above I mentioned and it still the same, I think there's only one way to make it work to enable you to play the game in your laptop, set your graphic setting in TS3 menu to the lowest setting, this will make your game playable and safer for your GTX970, and yes you still need the FPS limiter running.

PS (Edited): We're trying to make your TS3 BG recognized your GTX970 first, then we can find the cause(s) what makes the game lagging if it's still lagging or chopping, I don't think it will lagging/chopping after its recognized it (based on my GTX680 experience), but if TS3 still failed to recognized your GTX970 after you patched it, then the only way I can think of is to lower your graphic setting to the lowest in TS3 menu cause that what happened to me before its recognized my GTX680

Here is my laptop's DxDiag:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/872bj2bqy...laptop.txt?dl=0

On both machines I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

For the Sims 3 base game on my desktop PC, I'm using a brand new save for testing.
Instructor
#16 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 3:10 PM
@papaemy

hey papa, wasssap!?

hey how you doing nitromon? I'm currently playing my new game CoH2 Ardennes Assault when not playing TS3, but still checking forums updates and new mods :D

Here is my laptop's DxDiag:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/872bj2bqy...laptop.txt?dl=0

On both machines I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

For the Sims 3 base game on my desktop PC, I'm using a brand new save for testing.

I see, so your GTX970 is on your PC not on your laptop then, so which one you're having trouble?

Your laptop's spec should be fine running TS3, of course it won't 100% free lagging/chopping, SSD can help boosting your gameplay performance.

Now about your PC, I suggest you patch it to 1.67, just the BG with 1.67 patch for testing purpose, then your DeviceConfig should look like this:

Mine says 0 found but matched 1, but the TS3 BG 1.67 recognized my GTX680 though it said 0 found, and I didn't have lagging/chopping, and that's the way I setup my TS3 installation, BG 1st, patch it to 1.67, then add any EPs/SPs before I put my mods pack into it, so I only need to patch it once to save my SSD lifespan, and just to be save not to burnt my GTX680 like I did with my old GTX280 because I didn't know I should run FPS limiter for TS3, I set my graphic setting to medium except for texture I set it up to high, this way I also got low temp for my video card while playing TS3.

I don't know much about GTX970, but as is already support Directx 12, I suggest you should use the Nividia Gforce 352.86 x64 driver for desktop, I hope that helps, but if that still doesn't help, I'm afraid I can't help you more (at least for now), because that's how I made my GTX680 recognized by TS3.
Instructor
#18 Old 9th Jun 2015 at 7:53 PM
Nothing really new going on here in TS3 either, there was a brief testing of the new Nvidia Ambient Occlusion setting with Inspector, but we couldn't really get much image improvement out of it. You should check it out and see if you can make something happen.

TS3 --> Nvidia HBAO+

It works great on other games, getting me to play some of the older games and modding them.

Whoaa.. I'm not going to messed up my video card with TS3.. lol, actually that's not hard for GT240, GT240 is good enough for SSAO cause GT240 is actually the old 8800GT, but since it needs FPS limiter to protect the video card and top of it probably around 60 fps as far as it's safe to go, then what's the purpose of running it? I love TS3 but this is the only game that I can't exploit my video card power so I won't burnt it as I did with my old GTX280. I might test it with other games, but not on TS3

I'm having some good time playing the new episode of CoH2 with my GTX680, but darn.. I'm running on its minimum requirement because of my processor as it wants me to have at least Core i5 for its recommended requirement, my Core 2 Quad 9450 is on level with Core 2 Extreme 9770 already as I OC-ed it, but still not met its recommended requirement.. lol, why why why?? Even my C2Q have more cache memory than Core i5, lol
Instructor
#20 Old 10th Jun 2015 at 1:15 PM
That's from 2008? 7 year run, that's pretty good I think you definitely stretched it's value. Perhaps time to upgrade? Ha, if you get a Gen 4 i3/5/7 you can max RAM at 32GB, then you can really put the whole TS3 on a RAMdisk!

Well I bought it as 2nd hand processor in 2010 about $70, it's a rev C1 unlocked, it can run 1600Mhz FSB just like QX9770 with 12MB L2 cache, so it wasn't a bad deal.

I did thought about upgrading it, but I'm not eyeing on Gen 4 i3/i5/i7 Haswell, I'm eyeing for i7 LGA2011 Ivy Bridge, but it still takes time for me to save money so I can afford it, of course there's LGA2011v3 as well, the price different isn't very much but it requires DDR4 RAM to run it, the problem is the DDR4 price is way too much for me, I'm not planning just to run a single 4GB DDR4 module.. b/c I have 4x4GB DDR3 already lol, this is the 1st a game that put my system in its minimum category and it really hurts me.. lol