Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 10:22 PM
Default Moving a House and Basement Issue
So here's an interesting issue that's had me pulling my hair out for hours and hours. And I apologize if this has been addressed before. I searched threads here for awhile (and Googled a bunch) and saw nothing close to my issue. So here goes...

When I created my house I chose a 30x30 lot to start simple. I decided eventually that I wanted to take advantage of the move house feature so I could have a bigger lot. So I set myself up a nice 64x64 lot somewhere and moved my house.

The issue came when trying to place a basement. For at least the top 3 basement levels, I am forced to a 30x30 grid size. If I move to the very bottom basement i can make a basement the size of the property and the floor grids show properly. Any basement level higher than that, and i am reduced back to the 30x30 visible grid. Now, I can use the tool to create basements outside the 30x30 grid but they just float there. i have no option to place flooring or stairs or anything. just 4 floating walls.

I figured it was a terrain issue so I have tried flattening my lot, leveling terrain etc etc. I don't run any custom content to speak of really. A few nightwear outfits is all. I have also tried moving the new lot to another 64x64 size lot just to see if it would reset the original 30x30 grid. No such luck.

Anyone else have this issue or any advice on how to correct it? Sorry for the long winded post and if more info is needed on my part please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks!
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Jun 2010 at 5:23 PM
What game versions are you on and what games?
Did the house on the original 30x30 Lot have a pool or basement?
Have you tried demolishing these if present, move it to a bigger Lot plot, move the Lot again to Clipboard to reset it having the bigger plot size without pool and basement and place it again a second time?

That may be problematic if the Lot is currently occupied, though, as you don't have any hacks.
In any case if you want to save and backup your Household safely, try Twallan's Porter.

I never realized the Lots retain their previous Lot sizes below ground, as I don't tend to create basements/tombs the full 64x64 size. Or ever encountered another similar question.

I think this would get a better response from our builders in the Create section, and I can move it there if you wish, once we rule out it is not a technical problem or a game glitch.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 26th Jun 2010 at 8:57 PM
I'm experiencing this same issue. Moved a family+house that was on a 30x40 lot into a freshly placed empty 64x64 lot, and now the basement is limited to the original 30x40 lot size.

When I have the basement tool selected and drop down to the lowest level, it shows the wireframe view of the entire landscape, but all levels in between are limited to the 30x40 grid.

In the end my solution was to move the family to an empty lot and reconstruct the house.

"Y'know, you guys are so unhip it's a wonder your bums don't fall off." ~Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Jun 2010 at 10:53 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
Now seeing two posts with the same issue, I'm inclined to believe this is a bug/glitch with a new tool and not really surprising either.
It may be something EA is aware of, but it wouldn't hurt to post on the Sims 3 website to make sure, and hope it gets included with
the next patch.
Test Subject
#5 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 8:58 PM
Im having the exact same issue. Has a solution ever been found or even mod created to draw a new lot grid within build mode?