Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Aug 2015 at 10:07 PM
New Riverview
Becoming frustrated with the pre-made towns, but liking Riverview so much, I edited Riverview_Lite in CAW. It is a Work In Progress.

- I kept the land mostly in-tact, editing a few minor things like adding new roads, new sidewalks.
- edited terrain mostly in the mountains for special new areas
-I added a park behind the courthouse that interacts with the river
-added new section neighborhoods (the wealthy residential in the hills, upper middle class in green grass area, middle class near the school/water tower, lower middle class cottages by the bridges, and lower middle class bungalows and trailers by the old sawmill, old downtown on the island, new downtown commercial area, and beach houses area)
- added dirt roads, red flagstone roads, and suburban no-markings roads and their sidewalks/dirt paths.
- added around 200 empty lots. I made a lot for just about each community type.
- i am still in the process of editing community lots made for this nhood
- added each new tree individually from each EP.
-new terrain paint such as beach sand at the coastal area and shale rock in the mountains.
-added different types of spawners for locations they'd be likely to spawn in (like farming fields for low seeds, rocks and gems near the mountains, butterflies and wildflowers in flower terrain paint or near flowers)
-don't ask me why i put a lighthouse in a small lake... i originally couldn't get the Riverview distant terrain until i found someone unlocked it so i was using "south" distant terrain instead.

I wont spam a ton of pics so here is the entire album: http://s150.photobucket.com/user/es...New%20Riverview
I will upload if anyone would like

Advertisement
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 3:05 PM
Yes, I think now that you've got the distant terrain working, I would get rid of the lighthouse. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE lighthouses but it looks pretty out of place in Riverview.

I'd work on the rocky terrain paint in the mountains some more. Even from far away, it looks very repeated and doesn't blend well/look natural. Looking through your album, you've got at least one lot that has major terrain edge issues. Generally, you should have flat lots with flat edges, unless there's a specific reason not to (cliffside or beach lots for example). This is the specific lot I mean though there could be others.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Scholar
#3 Old 13th Aug 2015 at 5:30 PM
I think it looks really great. I also agree with the removal of the lighthouse. I've always thought of Riverview as leading on to a big lake rather than the ocean, so the only big thing I would change is to alter the coastal terrain paint to make it look more like the beach of a lake rather than the beach of an ocean. To do this I wouldn't have the sand terrain paint going so far inland all the way around the waters edge. Instead I'd have the grassy and rocky terrain paints coming a lot closer to the shore line in some areas, so that the sand isn't so prominent.
But other than that, it looks really inviting to play.
Instructor
#4 Old 14th Aug 2015 at 4:08 AM
Strangely though, I'm having a contrasting view. I think the prominent sand coasts really bring out some flavours of Riverview and make the town and landscape more interesting, the lighthouse seems good to me as well. Maybe I'll get numerous "disagree"-s for this but hey, it's just my opinion What I agree with though, is to add in sand paint along the river banks.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Aug 2015 at 1:50 AM
Thanks for the constructive criticism. Yes I originally used Riverview_Lite without distant terrain so it looked more like it was on an ocean to me. Only until I downloaded the guy (cant remember name)'s packages to unlock it did my vision change - after adding the original distant terrain I definitely need to make there be less beach sand and get rid of the lighthouse. I might keep the sidewalk/stone pier that goes out to it though. Maybe I will make the main beach area near the light house have a bit of sand, but get rid of the sand on most of the other side, and only keep sand at the beach park area.
I will try to make the shale look better on the mountains - i am trying to paint the shale stepping stones and dirt terrains over that to make it look more interesting/varied instead of repetetive. I will also try and edit the mountains so they look more 'mountainous' , rather than just smooth and hilly (tho this might change Riverview as we know it ) Yes the lot I can re-place. i purposely made it look steep there so it looked like a wall or something. I was taking some photos of the view of the new commercial area... I will keep editing the commercial lots to work better with the nhood though I will submit the nhood eventually with empty lots...
Instructor
#6 Old 16th Aug 2015 at 10:41 AM
Cannot wait! I love Riverview, and just recently created a sim there... took one look at the amount of work the 'hood required to have working EP lots and quit. :P

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 3:03 AM
Okay here is the latest version. I did a little more terrain painting to make things more realistic.
- I deleted the lighthouse, and made the coast look a little 'dirtier'. there are 2 beach lots a port lot and resort lot

- I added some terrain paints from Bridgeport and some custom ones

- fixed up some of the festival lots i was working on

- I am building up this neighborhood with american/ranch style houses. there are 2 big parks and a cat jungle

http://s150.photobucket.com/user/es...Riverview%20v16

Yes all the community lots are a lot of work. I have compiled a few years of houses and lots i built to this neighborhood. I want to include each and every community lot type, and build the lots myself so they interact better with the terrain. So far a lot of the community lots are built, such as parks, dog park cat park, some rabbitholes (school, science lab, police, hospital, diners) (some lots are just the shell nothing more), fire station, festival grounds, graveyard, junkyard, 2 gyms, art gallery, library... I have a couple dozen house lots. Many I need to upload to MTS. I still need to build some supernatural lots, and add some more bars/nightlife stuff. The world view looks absolutely packed with maptags. lol

Some things still look sloppy. I will find more reasons to go back to CAW pretty soon.
Scholar
#8 Old 19th Sep 2015 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by esouths
- I deleted the lighthouse, and made the coast look a little 'dirtier'. there are 2 beach lots a port lot and resort lot

The beach looks a lot better, in my opinion, although I'd suggest maybe working on the blending of the sand terrain paints a bit more; particularly where they meet the grass and also where the darker damp sand next to the water meets the lighter dryer sand.
But other than that, it looks to be coming along absolutely wonderfully.
Instructor
#9 Old 5th Oct 2015 at 5:26 AM
I think it is looking quite lovely also.
Theorist
#10 Old 5th Oct 2015 at 3:57 PM
Me too. Not sure how you squeezed 200 extra lots on there though. I take it they were quite small?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Apr 2016 at 5:24 AM
Sorry it took so long to update. I've been playing other games and couldn't be bothered to upload it officially to MTS site. Here is a google drive link for a direct download of what I have so far: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2...iew?usp=sharing

I got a new computer so I will be playing TS3 again. Will continue editing New Riverview.