Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 12:31 AM
Default Downloaders' Thoughts: Should Clothes Be Townified?
As a new creator, I've become genuinely interested to know what other downloaders' thoughts are when it comes to clothes. Specifically, should clothes ever be townified? Personally, I'd rather townify clothes myself when I download them from others, since I may not want it to spawn on just anyone in the populace, nor do I know if I'll even want to keep it in my game for awhile. It's just a simple edit to the flags in SimPE, or I suppose you can use the Wardrobe Wrangler. Still, I wonder if others prefer items townified for them.

So, what are your thoughts? Do you like it when clothes are enabled for townies? If so, what sort of clothes (casual, contemporary, themed, so on)?

Thanks for any responses to this.
Advertisement
#2 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 12:40 AM
I don't really have a preference to be honest. My Sims hardly ever change their clothes; they get new clothes usually on their birthdays, sometimes with different seasons, or for whatever other reason. Although because my Sims tend to keep their same outfits on for so long, they tend to have "signature outfits", like how Bella Goth always wore the red dress. When this happens I don't like seeing other Sims (as in townies) wearing what my Sim is wearing. It could cause some "Who Wore it Better?" drama- which, by the way, is always my playable Sim
That rarely ever happens and if it does, then so what, I don't really mind. I do appreciate you taking downloaders' opinions though, and good luck with whatever you choose to create and share with us!
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 12:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SleepyTabby
As a new creator, I've become genuinely interested to know what other downloaders' thoughts are when it comes to clothes. Specifically, should clothes ever be townified? Personally, I'd rather townify clothes myself when I download them from others, since I may not want it to spawn on just anyone in the populace, nor do I know if I'll even want to keep it in my game for awhile. It's just a simple edit to the flags in SimPE, or I suppose you can use the Wardrobe Wrangler. Still, I wonder if others prefer items townified for them.

So, what are your thoughts? Do you like it when clothes are enabled for townies? If so, what sort of clothes (casual, contemporary, themed, so on)?

Thanks for any responses to this.

I'm not a creator so I can't say much on that regard. However, I can totally agree that a lot of the times I want specific outfits for specifically themed sims, and it would be a bummer to see something like X Townie wearing Spunky Morgan's steampunk dresses (my steampunk sim). I'd rather they not be Townified, personally.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:12 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, BeckyBoo8 and rinarunine.

I'm still debating on whether I want to release some of the clothes projects I'm currently working on (basically passing time 'til next month, since my budget should let me purchase Milkshape then). But thanks for the best wishes, BeckyBoo8.

Your illustration of your steampunk 'hood, rinarunine, reminded me of when I downloaded some medieval clothes. I didn't realize they had already been townified, and in fact, they were enabled for Outerwear. I thought they'd be fun costumes or something. Well, I happened to start a new 'hood when they were in, and what do you know? Nearly every Townie that spawned thought chainmail and robes made fantastic outerwear. I suppose they're just eccentric, considering it was intended to be a modern 'hood. But since then, I've been more careful about checking out whether downloads were townified.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:17 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, BeckyBoo8 and rinarunine.

I'm still debating on whether I want to release some of the clothes projects I'm currently working on (basically passing time 'til next month, since my budget should let me purchase Milkshape then). But thanks for the best wishes, BeckyBoo8.

Your illustration of your steampunk 'hood, rinarunine, reminded me of when I downloaded some medieval clothes. I didn't realize they had already been townified, and in fact, they were enabled for Outerwear. I thought they'd be fun costumes or something. Well, I happened to start a new 'hood when they were in, and what do you know? Nearly every Townie that spawned thought chainmail and robes made fantastic outerwear. I suppose they're just eccentric, considering it was intended to be a modern 'hood. But since then, I've been more careful about checking out whether downloads were townified.

It's great if you totally *want* a themed neighborhood. ALL STEAMPUNK ALL THE TIME. But it's hilarious when my "unique" and strange sims go to a bar and a werewolf's wearing her exact same lolita outfit. Like. What happened there, guys.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:53 AM
Guess the barhopping werewolf just wasn't feeling special enough.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 2:21 AM
Guess the barhopping werewolf just wasn't feeling special enough.

On the contrary, I'm sure she was feeling quite the beautiful frilly catch that evening.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 2:56 AM
My female sims are like all women, they are horrified if they go somewhere and see another sims wearing the same outfit as them.

I prefer not see the whole town wearing the same clothes as my sims, what they wear is how I recognize them on community lots so the sims I'm playing can seek them out and become friends.
Scholar
#9 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 3:34 AM
If the clothes are default replacements, I'd like them to be townified (same with hair).

If they are just normal cc, then I'd like them to be untownified.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 3:37 AM
Looks like I'm on the other end of the issue here.

I think there's a big distinction between costume/period clothing and stuff that's intended for everyday wear. I download a lot of very everyday clothing, and it would honestly make my life a lot easier if the townies spawned with more of it, so that I didn't have to bother making them over so often. A huge part of my issue, though, is social group townies. I hate, hate, HATE that social group townies only spawn with that tiny collection of clothes from Apartment Life. None of it is bad clothing in my book, it's just such a small collection! I wonder if there's a way for creators to enabled clothing for social group townies, or if it would have to be done on the other end, say, through a mod that enables social group townies to pick clothes from the main wardrobe selection.

http://kahonseecity.livejournal.com/ < - New Prosperity Challenge. Last update: 6/9/14
Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 3:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rusty55
My female sims are like all women, they are horrified if they go somewhere and see another sims wearing the same outfit as them.

I beg to differ. I'm a woman and I couldn't care less if someone else is wearing the same outfit as me.
Undead Molten Llama
#12 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I beg to differ. I'm a woman and I couldn't care less if someone else is wearing the same outfit as me.

Haven't got a problem with this, either. Couldn't care less, in fact. Mostly because I'll wear it better than them, anyway. Because I'm awesome that way.

As to the original question, I don't think clothes should be townified by default, no. I think that should be up to the downloader, especially because it's ridiculously simple to townify for yourself if you want something townified.

As for default replacements, I believe if it's default-replacing something Maxis, it's townified by default given that Maxis stuff is all townified by default.

Edit @ EmeraldFalcon: The standard townies, including the social ones, always wear the same outfits by default. To change this, you either need to default-replace those particular outfits with something else or, if it's possible/safe to do so (and I have no idea if it is), go into the template files and change the outfits they generate in.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 4:28 AM
I'm not talking about standard townies, though (at least not what I think you mean by standard townies). I hid my stealth neighborhoods so my game didn't generate any of the social group townies on the wiki (such as Rose Dai, for example); my game made all new social group townies. They still generate using that same limited set of outfits from Apartment Life.

http://kahonseecity.livejournal.com/ < - New Prosperity Challenge. Last update: 6/9/14
Undead Molten Llama
#14 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 4:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EmeraldFalcon
I'm not talking about standard townies, though (at least not what I think you mean by standard townies). I hid my stealth neighborhoods so my game didn't generate any of the social group townies on the wiki (such as Rose Dai, for example); my game made all new social group townies. They still generate using that same limited set of outfits from Apartment Life.

I imagine that's because the templates for the various kinds of social townies are set that way so, to change it, like I said, you either need to default-replace the outfits (although they'll still only generate with the outfits assigned to their "type," at least they'll be different outfits) or change the templates somehow which, like I said, I don't know is possible.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 7:45 AM
I guess there will be players that like townified clothing and players that don't - I don't, because I like my Sims to stand out, especially when playing a community lot - I'd like to spot one of my sins immediately if he/ she turns up. So I'd say it's your choice and the downloader's - and you can't please everyone
Mad Poster
#16 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 8:43 AM
I haven't noticed anyone with stand out clothes yet, but some of my townies have made me giggle by spawning with some of my more out there custom hair. Unless it's really ridiculous I tend to leave it; it helps to imagine a personality for that townie. XD
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#17 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 9:24 AM
I'd say always give people the choice. That is either don't townify or offer two versions of the download.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#18 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 11:09 AM
I wasn't even aware that some creators might townify their clothing. I would say it's best to leave it to the player. Occasionally I download an item of clothing that just doesn't work in my game, probably because the creator thought it was base-game-compatible, but it actually uses a mesh from an EP or SP. If that was townified, I could end up with a townie or NPC spawning with no body. I'd much rather choose for myself which items to townify - then I can choose only to townify clothing that I know works. It's a simple enough job to do it with Wardrobe Wrangler.
just a girl
#19 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 11:37 AM Last edited by Lamare : 21st Jul 2014 at 11:58 AM.
I did not know that there are some unpleasant consequences of the removal clothes from the game. Actually, I think, I saw that some creators upload two versions of objects (hair or clothing). If it doesn't add too much work, I would upload two versions.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 11:49 AM
I prefer non-towniefied clothes, skins and eyes. I usually hate it when they show up randomly on townies, and I hate having to find items that don't work.

I'd say either give people the choice, or upload non-towniefied clothes. It's a lot easier to townify than it is to de-townify. Same with geneticized skins and eyes, which are in the same category. They're a real pain when they show up randomly, and they're even worse to get rid of.
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 3:20 PM Last edited by SleepyTabby : 22nd Jul 2014 at 1:21 AM.
Thanks for all the responses. Didn't expect so many replies, but I appreciate all of your informative responses.

Of course I know I can't please anyone, nor am I necessarily trying to. (I'm not exactly a clothes creator.) It was more of a curiosity and thoughts to consider if, in the future, I decide to upload clothes.

But now I'm curious if I've been doing something incorrectly. Several of you mention how hard it is to make something unavailable for townies. I always thought it was a simple edit of the flags under the Property Set file in SimPE, or the Skintone XML if you're editing a skintone. I just changed the flag from 8 to 0 if I wanted it townified, or changed it back to an 8 when I didn't want it to spawn (such as those novelty clothes that overran my 'hood). Is there something wrong with doing it that way, or is it just that most people don't like to edit files in SimPE? Just curious, since many of you have played the game longer than I have.

Edit: After rereading simmer22's post, I think I misunderstood about how it's more difficult to "un"townify clothing or genetics. Yes, it is a pain to have to clean up afterwards, although not quite as much of a pain when deciding to change your game's aesthetics.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 3:23 PM
Normal ones, yes, novelty ones no.

But I think that clothes are townie available by default anyway.

The most annoying thing is non-binned facial hair being townified. It looks stupid when my black haired sim is wandering around with a blonde beard.

Oh, and untuckable pants when they spawn with non-untuckable tops
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 3:34 PM
Instructor
Original Poster
#24 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 3:35 PM
Hm, I thought the default (when making a project in BodyShop) is that it isn't enabled for townies. I'll have to check that again.

Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Oh, and untuckable pants when they spawn with non-untuckable tops

But I thought that was the height of fashion. You know, see how low your pants can hang. Brings more attention to you. It's very classy.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 5:55 AM
I like both options to be available. Townified period stuff is useful if you're running a period hood, for example.
Page 1 of 2