Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 11:36 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default TS2 Unable to Save Anything?
Hello! I've been having a problem recently with The Sims 2 (disc-based) and nothing I've tried has been able to fix it, so I was hoping that someone here might know what to do.

The problem I'm having is that nothing in the game is saving. If I build a new lot, go into it, do some editing and save it, when I go back to the neighborhood view the lot is gone. If I create a new neighborhood, the next time I start the game back up the neighborhood is gone. I haven't tried saving Sims from the Create-a-Sim screen yet, though, but I imagine something similar would probably happen. I did, yesterday, make a family and move them into a lot, and when I went back to the neighborhood view both the lot and family were gone. Oddly, sometimes it will let me save a lot-- sometimes-- but never a new neighborhood, and I'm leery about working on a lot only to have it disappear on me again.

The strange thing is that the saved files do seem to be appearing in the The Sims 2 folder-- at least for neighborhoods, anyway, I'm not sure about lots (I'm not sure how to check which lot is which, or where they're found). For example, in the Neighborhoods folder there is a folder called "N013" created 9/28/2016 at 3:11 PM, so at least for the neighborhoods the save folders are being created, but for some reason they're not being "registered" when I start the game up. Like I said, I'm not sure if it's doing the same thing for lots or not.

I've tried removing the Downloads folder and the Saved Sims folder, I've tried deleting the cache files, cigen and so on, I've cleared space on my primary harddrive (which currently has 14.5 GB open), I've tried playing around with folder permissions (somewhat unsuccessfully, it wont let me change the permissions of some files) and nothing has worked. The problem seems to have started after I updated my version of Windows, which was on Friday, I believe. Though, to be honest, I can't remember if I've made any new lots or neighborhoods since I updated to Windows 10 less than a year ago as I've been focusing on making custom content so the problem could have been around longer and I've just noticed it now, I'm not sure.

Whatever the case, does anyone know what might be going on and how I can fix this?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 11:41 PM
Are you on the UC? If you are try going into Origin, right clicking and see if fix is an option or any other option like that. We had a similar problem recently so I would check down the older questions on here to see if they solved it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Space Pony
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Are you on the UC? If you are try going into Origin, right clicking and see if fix is an option or any other option like that. We had a similar problem recently so I would check down the older questions on here to see if they solved it.

By UC I'm assuming you mean the Ultimate Collection? No, I don't have that, I have the various games, expansions and stuff packs all separate. Right now I'm running the game off of the Mansion & Garden Stuff disc.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 11:49 PM
Since the problem started with the Windows 10 update as far as you know, that would be the place to start. I can't be much help here since I don't have Windows 10, but I've heard it sometimes makes files read-only that shouldn't be. So I'd start with that - check the properties on your game data files. If any of them are set to read-only, that'd create this problem right there.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Space Pony
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 12:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Since the problem started with the Windows 10 update as far as you know, that would be the place to start. I can't be much help here since I don't have Windows 10, but I've heard it sometimes makes files read-only that shouldn't be. So I'd start with that - check the properties on your game data files. If any of them are set to read-only, that'd create this problem right there.
What files should I be looking for? Anything in particular?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 12:42 AM
Are you sure the last update didn't make the folders read only?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#7 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 1:07 AM Last edited by alljoj : 29th Sep 2016 at 1:19 AM.
Go into Documents and go into your Sims 2 folder. Right click and select properties. It may be set to read only, and if so unset it and apply (set it so sub-folders are affected). The game can't save if it's read only.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 2:19 AM
It does look like it was changed to read-only but it's not allowing me to change it-- "you will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes". This administrator thing has been something I've been struggling with for a while. There's only one account on this PC, labeled "Owner", but I still get that message fairly often when I try to change permissions and such. Though when I check the security tab on files and folders it'll usually say that Owner (Owner-PC/Owner) has full control as well as SYSTEM, Administrators (Owner-PC/Administrators) and Users (Owner-PC/Users). CREATOR OWNER never has any permission for anything and I'm never able to change it.

Bah. Some things I like about Windows 10 but this security stuff is a real pain in the butt. Looks like I wont be able to switch off read-only until I can figure out how to give myself permission to do so, heh... x.x
Mad Poster
#9 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 2:26 AM
In Windows 7, you got an option to "run as administrator" when you right-clicked on an executable. See if you can get something like that to come up.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#10 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 2:37 AM Last edited by alljoj : 29th Sep 2016 at 4:25 AM.
Wait, so is it an error or a sign-in prompt for the administrator prompt?
Space Pony
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 6:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
In Windows 7, you got an option to "run as administrator" when you right-clicked on an executable. See if you can get something like that to come up.
So I'd run the game in administrator mode? I'm not on my PC right now, which has TS2 installed, but I see that option when I right-click some of the icons on my laptop's desktop. So just run the Mansion and Garden Stuff EXE with administrator mode? I'll give that a shot in the morning!

Quote: Originally posted by alljoj
Wait, so is it an error or a sign-in prompt for the administrator prompt?

The message "you will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes" pops up whenever I try to switch something from read-only. I'll untick the read-only box from the properties menu, hit "apply" or "OK" and that message pops up. If I continue it'll run through the process of changing everything, or so it appears, and it will remove the tick when complete but as soon as I close the properties window and open it back up read-only is ticked again and nothing changed.
Scholar
#12 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 12:33 PM
I believe it said read-only by default in properties for me (I run Win10, and it doesn't actually apply)). Try undoing the read-only and doing something afterwards.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 12:07 AM
Running the game in admin mode won't help if the files are set to read only. See if you can get it to let you sign in as administrator so you can manage files in that mode.

Computers are not made by people who understand how non-programmers use them, or what we use them for.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 30th Sep 2016 at 6:09 AM
Yep the old Windows 10 protection crap again.

In Windows 7 its called "Change User Account Control settings", go to control panel and click on "User Accounts" and then click on "Change User Account Control settings" then turn it off for now.

First disconnect from the internet and then do it, after a restart of you computer then change the folder to read and write then restart the computer and turn back on "Change User Account Control settings" then restart your computer and try your game.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Space Pony
Original Poster
#15 Old 1st Oct 2016 at 7:19 AM
Sorry for the delay in response, I've been testing things out. Thanks for the responses!

So far it appears that just right-clicking the EXE and selecting "run as administrator" is working and I've been able to save lots, edit them again later, and so on. I'll keep playing around with things and see if it keeps saving alright.

I'll also try what Marka93 suggested and see if I can change the settings, that's something i've been struggling with since I updated to Windows 10, even outside of TS2. I've run into it far too often where it wont let me save a file, for example a Photoshop file, because it says I don't have permission, when I was able to do it just fine before Windows 10. Ugh.

In the change account settings screen, what exactly do I change? Looking at my laptop (which also has Windows 10 but not TS2) I don't really see anything to change that appears to relate to permissions or anything similar...

As for signing in as an administrator... I am, I think. I only have one account on the computer, the "Owner" account, so that should be the admin account, too, because there's nothing else.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 1st Oct 2016 at 8:26 AM
You have to go into User Account Control in Control Panel, its there for I have done it before but don't remember how for its been just after 10 came out.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Space Pony
Original Poster
#17 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 7:49 AM
Hmm... I'm not seeing anything that seems to be related to permissions. Though I might just not be looking at the right thing (or I could be looking at it and not realize it, heh).

So I can go into the accounts tab and my account comes up (as it's the only account on the system). I see tabs for "your info", "Email & app accounts", "sign-in options", "access work or school", "family & other people" and "sync your settings" but none of those appear to have anything that allows me to change access to files. Weird...
Mad Poster
#18 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 3:29 PM
How to turn off UAC (User Account Control) in Windows 10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nJWYiBfOSg

Test Subject
#19 Old 6th Dec 2016 at 8:48 PM
Hi, im no IT but turning UAC off is a bad Idea... He told when he runs the Program as Administrator all is well. Then the Solution is easy. Go to the folder were Game is Installed. Rightclick on the .exe. Open Propertys -> Compatibility Mode. Try 1. if it works if you set to "Compatibility Mode Windows 10 (or 7)". If not look at the last Option -> run as Administrator. :P
Test Subject
#20 Old 11th Dec 2016 at 5:56 PM Last edited by Charming Rogue : 11th Dec 2016 at 6:56 PM.
I think I may have a solution, I have had problems like the OP with saving and installing skins and meshes etc. I also have a non UC version of the Sims 2 installed on Windows 10.

I found out the game creates another EA Games file in the users public documents. This should be the file you are looking to save into.

The path on my version is Windows ( C: ) > Users > Public > Public Documents > EA Games > The Sims 2.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#21 Old 11th Dec 2016 at 6:38 PM
There's no point in putting anything in that folder, since the game won't read it.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.