Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#576 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 7:37 PM
H&M and Teen Style are stuff packs that largely revolve around clothing. They're two of the SPs that I considered and bought, and am happy I did so (out of all the SPs, only those, M&G, and IKEA have been the ones I've gone "yeah, I could see myself using those"), yet they don't really offer that much to gameplay other than clothng, a few community lots (H&M) and some buy mode stuff.

FreeTime, like Peni said, offers a lot of stuff. The main one is the ability to have secondary aspirations, also adding in perks either general (more vacation days; reduced drop in hunger) or aspiration specific (knowledge -- summon aliens; family -- comfort soup to cure illness; fortune -- give financial advice; popularity -- faster friendships; pleasure -- write restaurant guide [gives huge amounts of money for a few hours' work]; romance -- smooth talk [increase relationship, reduces furiousness]). Sewing and pottery are introduced as two new badge skills, and with OfB you can make a business out of them.

But personally? With the exception of Mansions and Gardens, I will always recommend an EP over an SP (or two) simply because EPs add things to do, while SPs make things look pretty.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#577 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 10:55 PM
Mansion and Garden looks great, but what makes it that much better than the rest? I'm debating about buying it.
Scholar
#578 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 10:39 AM
M&G is more like a mini-EP than an SP -- it offers a fair few options for builders/decorators which can come in very handy (a roof pitch slider so you don't need to fiddle around with the roof slope cheat, and also the set quarter tile placement cheat which divides the grid in to quarters and allows for much closer item placement). It also adds in three new deco styles (moroccan, art deco, second empire) as well as -- finally -- new plants/flowers and some garden deco (I was sick of having the same types of flowers to decorate gardens/parks with).

There's a couple of new interactions, although I've modded them out because they can be annoying (shade eyes when going outside, smelling flowers), and it also gives you a wind turbine and two types of solar panels, all of which reduce your bills and, if you have enough of them, you can actually get rebates (money back) on your bills. I've not used those much (my sims are either too poor, live in apartments, don't have the space, or are simply rich enough to shrug off bills) but I have been thinking of a couple of live-off-the-land type scenarios where sims would need them.
Theorist
#579 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 9:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
ETA: ScaryRob, you want Mansions & Garden for sure if you're primarily a builder. It's the only one that lets you change roof angle; and it has building themes, so you can now build Painted Ladies, Spanish style with Moorish influence, all kinds of things!

Actually, I'm already able to change roof angles without M&G (using the cheat).
I was wondering what the architecture styles were all about, now I know.
I will keep my eye open for M&G.
Thanks for the info.
Instructor
#580 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 10:38 PM
I was just going to ask about Ikea and M&G. So, I gather M&G, is more about exterior, and of course gardens, then about indoors? Do you get clothes and hair? The same for Ikea, do you get clothing and hair? and is Ikea, even worth looking into?

Lastly, is there problems with M&G. I thought I read there was conflictions. But, maybe that's with using clean templates??
Lab Assistant
#581 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 11:19 PM
M&G comes with 5 new womens hairstyles and 3 mens' ... no new clothes though.
I happened to get Ikea and M&G around the same time. I think that Ikea is nice to have but its not a necessary pack ... though it gives you some nice cheaper furniture options for those cash-strapped Sims.
Instructor
#582 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 2:31 AM
I think all the EP's have something to offer, so I would have trouble having to decide which one to uninstall. So, here's my two cents.

1)NL: Without it my Sims would have nowhere to go. Cemetaries! So, I don't have to keep a whole bunch of urns and tombstones. Dining out, dating, turn on/offs. Some of the clothing was okay, but there was a lot of ugly ones that I've never used. I'm not a vampire freak, but maybe one day I'll try it!

2)Seasons: I'm used to weather now. I like that it's not always sunny all the time. I'm sure there's a mod, but I think after the first snow fall, the curiosity should be gone. Puddles, I laugh because Sims of all ages will splash around in them. The penguins are cute. I like the reminder after I built something, a Sim will say "there's weather in my house".Oops, I forgot the roof! I would think though weather really is a challenge, when it comes to something like a Legacy. Where, you may not have the funds to have a roof over your head, come Fall! And finally there's a reason for my toddlers to be wearing hats and mittens. Before seasons, it made no sense!

3)BV: Again, so my Sims have somewhere to go. Swimmable beaches, suntanning, massage tables, and hot springs. New foods. My only thing is I can only handle a couple of days of vacationing at a time. I haven't bought a vacation house yet, because my Sims don't have a lot of money, and you can't take toddlers. But, if I did have a vacation home, I'd have businesses, for much needed makeovers!

4) University: I agree it can be long and tedious. But with the additions of OFB and FT, my Sims can earn their talent badges at school. They make their initial adult clothes before graduation, so that when they're in their new adult homes, they have clothes to begin with. Instead of the often mismatched clothes they grow into. I actually don't mind kicky bag, because it keeps the fun bar high, and increases relationships. I have to say though pillow fights should be restricted to YA's and younger. I like my Sims to have cell phones. The bubble blower and the treadmill, both great assests for future businesses. Plus the four new careers. I also get my YA's a bird to build up their charisma, and nature enthusiasim. It beats standing in front of mirror...
I also liked some of the hair and clothing.

5) Pets: Simple, I love animals! Yes, there could have been more things for them to do.But just knowing I can have a pet in my game, makes me happy. However, the womrat to me pointless. I normally don't think it's funny, when an animal dies. But, I have chuckled when I've captured the bird kicking it! Tara Kat and Cyd Roseland. I like these two, and often put them together!

6)Free Time: The genie, the sewing machine, studying up on subjects that can help your Sim. I don't mind cooking and dance contests. Although, out of curiosity I've been to some of the hobby lots. But, I know if we could have built them ourselves, mine would be more interesting! So, dance and cooking contests, often happen on my NL lots. I also kind of like the bohemian outfit, and new gym clothes for all. Although, I've downloaded some too. The basketball hoop, is cool because it's something everyone, but toddlers can use to build body skills.

7)OFB: I've never been successful of creating a business on my own-without using cheats. So, I think this EP is the most challenging. I enjoy making bakeries, and a make over store. I often make a baby/toy store. That is usually one of my successful businesses, in which my perks and upgrade status moves up quickly. So, even though I cheat-I'll try, really I will not to- but, my Sim kids need toys! The last business I tried was a snapdragon/pottery store. It wasn't a success. but I didn't stick with it too long. I also want to try a pet store. I've tried out Servos, but they're just not my thing.

8)AL: It's not that I don't like this EP, I find I just don't use apartments. But, I like the wall paper, and clothing.

SP's
H&M: Never heard of the store before Sims 2, but I found I like the clothes the most-well there were a few questionable choices!

Teen Style: Clothes for the teens, particularly the guys! Although, I could have lived without the visors!

K&B: I loved the floors and walls, for this SP. The undies/pj's were cute. And a guy hairstyle I liked, along with a headband style for the girls. Of course, I never use the aprons, or overalls..

Glamour: I liked the furniture. And nicer formal dresses. I just wished, aside from weddings. EA had given us another kind of party option, to wear the formal clothing to. Like the anniverary party, or New Year's

Celebration: I don't think my computer could handle downloading wedding dresses, even though I love what creators make! I'd rather download everyday wear, then something that a Sim will wear only once. That being said, there are a few wedding dresses, where of course I think, who okayed this at EA-okay, I say this with a lot of the clothing, but I digress. Sometimes I use the party favours, although, I can gurantee, that if it's a wedding. And the groom or bride lights off the firework, it will back fire on them!

Family Fun: I rarely use it, except for the kids bedrooms, I guess I could use the Hawaiian outfits for BV, but I tend to dress my Sims in something else for vacation.

Holiday Stuff Pack: I got the original, little disc. But I think Santa should've brought presents, that you couldn't get in the game. A New Year's party was cool. But, I have to use the moveobjects cheat to get rid of the police. I think Squinge made a mod, to curb that? The decorations are cute. But, to be totally honest, I tend to forget about Christmas. And what is it with Santa, using the bathroom most of the time? Were there staff members in a meeting, going on how funny that would be-yes.

Which leaves me with no comments on Ikea or M&G. I wrote a question about them, before typing my thesis on EP's and SP's. So, I am curious about those ones, and whether I should complete the entire Sims 2 Franchise? I don't download walls, floors, furniture, or hair. Again, not because I don't think people could do better, but I only have so much space on my computer.
Field Researcher
#583 Old 18th Oct 2012 at 11:48 PM Last edited by mozgun : 21st Oct 2012 at 10:29 PM.
I just got Mansions and Gardens today. Now I'm not trying to completely bash it, but I found it... incredibly subpar. The "architecture" is mostly just trim things for the walls, there were only 3 or 4 doors added that I've noticed, and there are only about two good garden statues. On the topic of the gardens, I was seriously annoyed. I was expecting to make really nice gardens, but there are no new trees and the bushes look very fake. The best part about the gardens is the flowers, which look pretty as well as realistic. The hairstyles are nice, too. But for the most part? The stuff included seems basically made for three different cookie cutter mansions instead of for more personal creativity... By the way, this is coming from a simmer who loves building. I prefer the IKEA stuff pack way more than this. Sorry, I ended up completely bashing it...

Edit: After playing it again and knowing what to expect, it was actually very enjoyable. My advice: Know what you are getting so that you don't become disappointed.
Mad Poster
#584 Old 26th Oct 2012 at 6:51 PM
I have currently installed Double Deluxe, all the other EPs, and M&G. I also own Holiday Edition (the holiday plus base game) and Celebration stuff. I kind of liked the Holiday stuff. Christmas is coming, and I'm thinking about what I'd like to ask for. (Helps if I'm very specific for my husband.)
Do I want a standalone Nightlife or a Holiday Stuff Pack (aren't there two? Which one?)
Do I want, would I use, other stuff packs? I'm not big on the amount of skin shown by a lot of the base game and EP clothes--some, for some sims, is good, but most don't need to show belly buttons. I have a lot of default replacements because of that. I do have some of the Family Fun matching clothes--Herb Oldie always gets a purple hawaiian shirt. I also have and use all the time the split pjs by Ndainye, which I think are H&M matching. I like M&G, for the most part. Celebrations is great--use that stuff all the time. I have a couple family sims (Brandi B. and Samantha O.) who are all into the tacky wedding stuff they saved. Of course, I also have Phaenoh's fixes for the clothes.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Test Subject
#585 Old 4th Nov 2012 at 12:38 PM
Freetime or Apartmentlife?
Which one should i install? I can only have 3 expansions on my computer. NL gets automaticly installed, Seasons is the best one. But then? Freetime or Apartmentlife?
Top Secret Researcher
#586 Old 4th Nov 2012 at 6:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ImFilip
Which one should i install? I can only have 3 expansions on my computer. NL gets automaticly installed, Seasons is the best one. But then? Freetime or Apartment life?

Which one do you use most?
Field Researcher
#587 Old 4th Nov 2012 at 7:19 PM
Which one should i install? I can only have 3 expansions on my computer. NL gets automaticly installed, Seasons is the best one. But then? Freetime or Apartmentlife?

I have Apartment Life and it adds a ton. Spiral staircases, hidden bookcase doors, lots of new wall coverings, magic, and more realistic decorations (like stacks of books, cereal boxes, etc.) are essential in my game. I can't speak for Freetime seeing as I don't have it, but AL is fantastic.
Top Secret Researcher
#588 Old 4th Nov 2012 at 10:43 PM
I myself would pick FreeTime; it's my second favorite expansion after Seasons. But I love Secondary Aspirations and don't play apartments.
Field Researcher
#589 Old 6th Nov 2012 at 4:28 PM
Should I buy Freetime or OFB? They both look good.
Mad Poster
#590 Old 6th Nov 2012 at 5:46 PM
They are both good and you should get both eventually. If you like to make things hard for your sims, get OFB first, as Freetime makes it way too easy to go permaplat; the only complaint I have of it. Also, servos. If you're impatient and don't use community lots much, get Freetime first, as full utilization of OFB involves lots of community lot use. Also, sewing your own curtains and teddy bears.

If your playstyle makes it hard to control flu epidemics, you need Freetime, as a Family sim with the comfort soup perk makes it much simpler. Also, secondary aspirations are awesome for character development.

However, OFB allows you to spend more time with any given sim by playing their businesses and having other sims visit them, and it's the source of the kids-dancing-on-feet animation.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Banned
#591 Old 6th Nov 2012 at 5:59 PM
Of what I have my favorite EP is Nightlife (Uni is the only other one, though Pets is in the mail)
Of SPs probably K&B is my favorite and Teen Style least favorite (also have Ikea and Glamour Life - with H&M currently winning on ebay - ends in a few hours.)
Test Subject
#592 Old 11th Nov 2012 at 5:43 PM
Which SP is the best? Hmm.. i have Glamour/luxury pack (talking about TS2), Garden and Mansion and Christmas Life Pack (You know, it came one to after that with more stuff)? Is H&M good?
Mad Poster
#593 Old 11th Nov 2012 at 6:00 PM
Is H&M good?

If you like downloading clothes a lot, then this SP is for you. Some clothes are seem quite fitting for my sims. The wall coverings that comes with the SP, I use it a lot, especially for bedrooms.
Banned
#594 Old 11th Nov 2012 at 6:03 PM Last edited by MattShizzle : 11th Nov 2012 at 9:37 PM.
I don't care for the H & M clothes. I HATE "full outfit" clothing for everyday clothes unless it's something that would actually be one piece. Though there is some other cool stuff. Plus it was like $5 including shipping. I also have Seasons coming. I stop flu (and other epidemics) by making all my sims immune via the Health Adjustor via the Insiminator. This also prevents morning sickness.
Alchemist
#595 Old 13th Jan 2013 at 9:27 AM
Should i install OFB or Apartment Life? I can only choose one, hmm.. OFB has a beautiful shopping area with cool houses and great lots + the ability to run stores + own community lots.
Apartment life comes with so mutch cool stuff sutch as apartments, new objects, new clothing and hair that i like etc.
Instructor
#596 Old 14th Jan 2013 at 9:25 PM
I currently have all EPs and Teen Style Stuff, and I'm getting the holiday pack soon too. But I'm a bit torn over which one to get next. I'm considering either H&M, Kitchen and Bath or IKEA. So to anyone who has any of these, what are they like and which one would you recommend? I generally focus mostly on playing premades, creating sims/giving existing sims makeovers, and for general gameplay I mostly use the default houses but I do like to build my own once in a while.

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
Alchemist
#597 Old 15th Jan 2013 at 8:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by a_az13_a
I currently have all EPs and Teen Style Stuff, and I'm getting the holiday pack soon too. But I'm a bit torn over which one to get next. I'm considering either H&M, Kitchen and Bath or IKEA. So to anyone who has any of these, what are they like and which one would you recommend? I generally focus mostly on playing premades, creating sims/giving existing sims makeovers, and for general gameplay I mostly use the default houses but I do like to build my own once in a while.

I have only tried H&M and IKEA (both Swedish companies!) but i think Kitchen and Bath still looks really good. IKEA got lots of cheap furniture that really is good looking for its low price (so now you're legacy house can look somewhat good). But i actually don't find the IKEA furniture that good, i can be without it. H&M gives you some great clothing and i really enjoy it as you also can build a REAL H&M store (commercial in you're game..). Im not quite sure what i would recommend for you but looking at the Kitchen and Bath commercial at youtube makes me think that you should get that one.
Mad Poster
#598 Old 15th Jan 2013 at 1:41 PM
Well, H&M is just clothes (so I've never been tempted to get it; clothes I got) and Ikea is just furniture, while K&B is clothes and objects and hairstyles, so if you can only get one, that's the one.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#599 Old 15th Jan 2013 at 4:40 PM
Ah, okay, I think I'll get K&B first then. I'll probably end up getting the others eventually anyway. Thanks a lot, both of you!

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
Banned
#600 Old 15th Jan 2013 at 6:06 PM
K & B is probably my favorite stuff pack. It was also the first of any EP/SP I installed - late SEP last year. I really like the more expensive stoves/fridges from it and the small appliances, dishwashers, trash compactors - can't remember the name but all I mentioned are from the same (fictional) manufacturter. The stove has that bigger than any base game fridge capacity (though it has to be modded to be able to put produce or fish in. Stupid EA.)
Page 24 of 33