Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#26 Old 8th Jan 2015 at 12:52 AM
That's a thought, the Plumb Bob Keep mining 'workbench' would fit in there, they could go mine for gold. I'll leave you to your logging.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#27 Old 8th Jan 2015 at 1:25 AM
Mining I'll give you. My town was a mining town at the turn of the 20th century before that went bust, and the town was near-abandoned by the 70s, when one guy came up with the great idea of installing a ski lift and now....Here we are. Gold-mining wasn't a thing here, though. No gold here. Silver, though. And uranium, which is still mined in this area.. It's fun to hike around here and poke around in abandoned mining camps. But I don't think logging was ever a thing here even though Ponderosa pines grow like weeds here. Probably due to lack of water for log transport. Still, even if it was a thing, logging isn't exactly a popular thing in our current green-y tree-hugging times. More like a necessary evil. But yeah, I suppose I can see it being turned into a tourist-trap thing in places where it is/was a thing, sort of like how New England has made a tourist thing out of its whaling history. Not one I'd frequent, though. The logging or the whaling. :p

As for the lumbersexuals...They deserve to be offended. Seriously, what are THEY thinking?

And I want a ski lodge NOW, Zarathustra. *stamps foot petulantly*

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 8th Jan 2015 at 1:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg

Chris Hatch actually already has a skiing mod, but at the moment it's not separatable from his T&A expansion pack. Maybe if enough of us ask he'll separate it out like he has done with other stuff.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 8th Jan 2015 at 2:08 AM
@iCad , I think you're probably right that the big obstacle to logging in your part of CO is transport... rivers aren't exactly useful for much in northern AZ either, but Flagstaff was still a very successful logging community thanks to being right on one of the main railroad lines... still shocks me how many people don't realize that part of the town's history- one of the main roads is called "Sawmill," for crying out loud! And I think the historic aspects of logging DO have the potential to be a viable tourist attraction- lumberjack games are fairly popular, old logging road and facilities are often in spectacular areas, and even the more tangentially-connected aspects can be fun- the university here's mascot, for instance. GO LUMBERJACKS!! (does mean that Flagstaff has A LOT of those "lumbersexuals" though... sigh...)

Thinking about that though, if you were to design a mountain vacation destination with the idea that it was SUPPOSED to be a logging town, that could still be a pretty interesting place- more of a wild-west feel to it than most ski areas have.

And you'll just have to WAIT, or I won't give you a lodge at all! :P

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Undead Molten Llama
#30 Old 8th Jan 2015 at 2:27 AM
Well, you've said y'all wear plaid down there, so....

Now that I think about it, I think there is or was an old sawmill on the Animas River down in Durango. But I don't know how much business it ever did. Probably just for local use, I'd say. I don't know that logs were ever transported on the river, though; it tends more toward whitewater, especially up towards its headwaters, and whitewater's not exactly good for transporting anything except crazy people like me in kayaks or on rafts. There is the narrow-gauge train that runs from Silverton to Durango, but I think that was used more for the silver mines than for any logging operations back in its pre-tourist-attraction days.

But now I'm thinking that Three Lakes needs to be made over into an Old West/turn-of-the-20th century historical re-enactment of a mining town. Like the Old West version of Williamsburg, VA or something. Damn you! :P

*still demands immediate swanky ski lodge. I expect many hot springs/tubs, saunas, and massage tables. Get on it, NOW!*

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Theorist
#31 Old 8th Jan 2015 at 3:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I expect many hot springs/tubs, saunas, and massage tables. Get on it, NOW!*

Speaking of massage tables, can a player-controlled Sims ask a townie for a massage, or vice versa?
Or can this only be done by couples?
Undead Molten Llama
#32 Old 8th Jan 2015 at 3:25 AM
I don't really know, ScaryRob. I only ever use them on community lots, where they generate an NPC masseuse, or on owned community lots where I use Paladin's "employee masseuse" mod. I'm kind of thinking a playable can only ask another playable, but I'm really not sure.

Theorist
#33 Old 8th Jan 2015 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
That's a thought, the Plumb Bob Keep mining 'workbench' would fit in there, they could go mine for gold. I'll leave you to your logging.

I found the site, but no mining workbench. In which category should I look for it?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#34 Old 8th Jan 2015 at 10:29 PM
Normally I find things under Download Updates and go directly to it, since it's a site I can't log into anymore. It should be under the sun and moon area but it won't let me in there anymore. All the other download areas will but the link to sun and moon takes me to a log in page.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#35 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 10:12 PM
YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT I FOUND!

There are TWO different desks located in "Misc>Misc" that appear when on a community lot in buy mode. They are called "ConcerigoSum Desk by Welcome Home Furniture". They have the same name and description, but the description says about HOTELS and they both look like A HOTEL DESK.

Does this mean what I think it means?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#36 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 10:14 PM
They are hotel desks and you can place them-and they don't work. That's what that means. Trust us we all tried after we got BV, or most of us did. The reason they are there is if you want to build a hotel you build it as a community lot and then change the zonning to hotel, but it only works in a vacation hood.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#37 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 10:16 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooo(xinifnity)!!

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#38 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 10:19 PM
I know, I know. It was one of EA's biggest mistakes of BV going on about how sims need a 'vacation' and don't want to own hotels. Hello EA we want to do both! Stop limiting us we don't want to be limited.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#39 Old 9th Jan 2015 at 11:21 PM
this is the closest thing i know of, it's not much as you can't run the hotel but it might be something http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...2_LotRights.htm
Undead Molten Llama
#40 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 12:15 AM
I know, I know. It was one of EA's biggest mistakes of BV going on about how sims need a 'vacation' and don't want to own hotels. Hello EA we want to do both! Stop limiting us we don't want to be limited.

Well, apparently they "fixed" that for TS3, right?

Actually, since playing age-modded neighborhoods with much longer lifespans, I've come to appreciate having my Sims take non-BV vacations in which they have to actually use vacation days earned, thanks to Community Time, and they age while they're away. Mostly I've done camping vacations, because those are easy: Create a community lot, plop some tents on it, good to go. But lately I've been toying with the idea of building an entire vacation sub-hood, not a Maxis-style one, but just a business district including "hotels"/"resorts" and restaurants and gift shops and tourist-trap kind of community lots. Plus some big, fancy houses that pixels could live in all the time because, you know, people DO live in resorts. (I mean, I do, after all. ) Plus some smaller houses (that would actually be community lots with most everyone banned from them) that some pixels could own (via Inge's property rights mod) and other pixels could "rent" for a week or whatever.

Anyway, I think that'll be my next big project after I finish the Air Force base I'm working on. Basically, it'll be BV how I would have designed it. At least, that's the plan/hope. I plan to make use of your water park, Jo, since I'm envisioning a touristy beach locale a la Florida. I need to get AGS working on my computer, though, so I can make it attachable to any neighborhood. Last time I tried to get AGS working, it screwed up my game because I think I forgot to install it in "administrator" mode. (God, I hate that "feature" of post-XP versions of Windows. )

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#41 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 12:24 AM
I've done that too, made a nice beach lot with a restaurant bar and gaming room, some small shops down one side and a few tents. Then I also have a regular camping grounds and a hotel with a pool, sauna and gym. All are community lots so I can take toddlers (with the toddler rider mod) I've also used my own resort as a community lot but it lags rather badly on my sad desktop these days. These though are for the family you are playing to visit, not to run.

Resorts in TS3 were alright, I played one through until it was 5 star but that kind of satisfied that want and I haven't bothered again. In typical EA fashion they limited the play options. Want to make a snow resort? Too bad it must be a tropical island one with XYZ if you want it to be any good.

If it runs okay for you I'd love to see a picture >cough hint cough< Also remember it comes in two flavours, the community version and one that is a hotel.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#42 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 12:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alpal425
YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT I FOUND!

There are TWO different desks located in "Misc>Misc" that appear when on a community lot in buy mode. They are called "ConcerigoSum Desk by Welcome Home Furniture". They have the same name and description, but the description says about HOTELS and they both look like A HOTEL DESK.

Does this mean what I think it means?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

It means that a modder wouldn't have to change the lot flags to make a Maxis-match hotel desk work in a community-lot hotel... ...just everything else. If anyone has successfully done so, I have not heard about it.
Theorist
#43 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 2:16 PM
They are hotel desks and you can place them-and they don't work. That's what that means. Trust us we all tried after we got BV, or most of us did. The reason they are there is if you want to build a hotel you build it as a community lot and then change the zonning to hotel, but it only works in a vacation hood.

I've placed one of the prebuilt BV hotels in a Downtown and it worked as designed. I can't see why changing the lot zoning on a downtown hotel lot would be any different.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#44 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 1:24 AM
I'm lost, you placed a hotel into downtown and you could check your sims in?!? I tried that after getting BV, in a normal hood not downtown and it didn't work, no bellhop spawned.

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#45 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 2:13 AM
@joandsarah77 Yes, that's exactly what I did, in a Downtown hood. I have photographic proof of my sims checking in (complete with bellhop) and subsequently sleeping between one-third and one-half of the way through this chapter: http://esmeiolanthe.livejournal.com/3526.html

As you can see, I didn't even know about decent camera settings at that point, let alone have any mods or hacks or poseboxes. I'm not sure I even really understood lot zoning cheats. I just slapped the lot down and told Byron to check in during his date with Jerome.

Now, did this get changed at some point after I tried it, maybe with a patch or a subsequent EP? Quite possibly -- I haven't tried that again since. But it did work at one point anyhow.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#46 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 2:18 AM
Well I'll be an chooks Aunty. (yes I just made up some Aussie slang there since I am not an uncle and we have no monkeys) It was so many years ago I can't remember if I tried it unowned or only owned. Did everything work? For example, did the tour guide spawn?

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#47 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 2:39 AM
No, no tour guide, and I didn't try ordering room service or having Byron stick around long enough to require a maid. The lot was also unowned, since the purpose was to have a private place to woohoo. But the woohoo and the falling asleep after worked just fine. However, since Jerome was not part of the house and not playable at that time, he got up and left when his needs got too low, like all dates do.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#48 Old 12th Jan 2015 at 3:27 AM
Interesting, I'll have to try it some time.

~Call me Jo~
Page 2 of 2