Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th May 2014 at 1:04 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Weird UI Problem in Build Mode (Edit Town)
So, I enjoy modifying my towns so that I can customize them, and add things that aren't in them by default...

But as of late, I've had a very weird issue... Sometimes when going into Build Mode from Edit Town, half the UI disappears (all that I can see other than the main semi-puck, is oddly enough part of the wall tool UI... It seems to happen at random, and while I can use F5 to open the menu, when I click Edit Town, it puts my cursor into an endless load loop...

My specs well exceed the recommended specs for this game, and I do force vSync on, so I doubt it's an overheating issue, despite appearing like one...

I've lost hours of work from this damn bug, and it seems near impossible to diagnose due to the randomness of it's occurance... So, has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you fix it...

Thank you...
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 11th May 2014 at 1:26 PM
It's not just your game. This problem appeared awhile back and so far, I haven't been able to find a solution. I just save very often so that I won't lose a lot of work already done. There's a discussion about this in the CAW section...
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=514263

After trying different things, I believe that the only one who can do something about this is EA.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th May 2014 at 1:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
It's not just your game. This problem appeared awhile back and so far, I haven't been able to find a solution. I just save very often so that I won't lose a lot of work already done. There's a discussion about this in the CAW section...
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=514263

After trying different things, I believe that the only one who can do something about this is EA.

Thanks for the response, but the way that issue was described, it doesn't seem like the same issue... The hanging part on going into edit town fits, but the broken UI upon opening the lot doesn't seem to be mentioned...

Edit: I managed to find an image of the thing I'm experiencing, but the cure for the person who posted it was using F5 to go to Edit Town, which just seems to cause a hang for me...

Also, it's worth mentioning that the Edit Town button turns into the Live Mode Button, as shown...
Alchemist
#4 Old 11th May 2014 at 1:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
Thanks for the response, but the way that issue was described, it doesn't seem like the same issue... The hanging part on going into edit town fits, but the broken UI upon opening the lot doesn't seem to be mentioned...

I know but since the fading of the UI is the same, then you might have a different version of the same bug. I could be wrong, though, I admit that, but it's a odd coincidence, especially since your pic looks exactly the same as in my game. I'm still looking for solution, nevertheless. Have you tested without CC?
Test Subject
#5 Old 27th Dec 2022 at 7:35 PM
Hi, I've been looking for a solution for this problem because I have encountered it just a second ago. I actually solved this myself so here it is: press F2 on keyboard, wait until it loads and then press F1. If F1 or F2 aren't working, try pressing fn + F2 (at the same time) and then fn + F2 (also at the same time). It depends on how your keyboard and computer works. Don't forget to save your game in live mode so you don't lose the progress that you've made.
Replying to this old discussion so people who come across this can solve the problem.
Instructor
#6 Old 27th Dec 2022 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by buba434
Hi, I've been looking for a solution for this problem because I have encountered it just a second ago. I actually solved this myself so here it is: press F2 on keyboard, wait until it loads and then press F1. If F1 or F2 aren't working, try pressing fn + F2 (at the same time) and then fn + F2 (also at the same time). It depends on how your keyboard and computer works. Don't forget to save your game in live mode so you don't lose the progress that you've made.
Replying to this old discussion so people who come across this can solve the problem.

what's fn?

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Instructor
#8 Old 28th Dec 2022 at 7:01 AM
I used to have the same glitch, so the only suggestion that seems to work is I save all the time after building one lot and/or make some changes to existing one, and always quit the game after building for more than four hours or so.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Test Subject
#10 Old 28th Dec 2022 at 8:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Fn button exist on certain keyboards which allow you to use the F keys for other functions usually relative to your computer's operation. The 2ndary function would usually be labeled next to the F keys. For example, Fn+F7 on my keyboard will magnify the screen, Fn+F6 will open my default email program, etc.. etc..

So the fn function has nothing directly related to the system operation nor Sims itself, which makes the above suggestion suspect and doubtful. This build issue is an old issue and has been around for a long time. The most popular solution is simply pressing F5 and go directly into edit town. I used this for a while before it stopped working for me. This may due to the fact I have different mods in play now, which affects how the game operates. However, now what works for me is pressing F1 first to return to live mode and then pressing F5 to edit town. Pressing F1 in this case will have no visual effect or change, the game will not return to live mode, but it will make F5 to edit town work.

It is related to the game... When that bugs occurs you can't switch to live mode, buy mode n build mode. But since live mode is accessible by the ,,F1" key, buy mode by ,,F2" key and build mode by the ,,F3" key, I tried switching the modes with the help of these patricular keys. It worked. That's why I shared that solution, because it worked for me.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 28th Dec 2022 at 1:08 PM
I'm not sure if this will work if you entered Build Mode from Edit Town, but you can just press the pause button in the upper right corner of the screen. I do this every time I have this bug. The game normally goes into live mode and you can just simply save the game. But remember that this will only work if you haven't clicked anything else on the interface, because then the cursor will start spinning and the game will freeze forever. Sorry for my English.
Test Subject
#13 Old 9th Feb 2023 at 6:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Yes the F keys work b/c they are related to the game. The "Fn" key you are referring to is not. It is called a "function" key to enable "extra" functions on the keyboard that is relative to certain extra function such as in laptops you can disable the wifi, etc... but it is not related to the game nor the operating system itself as it varies keyboards to keyboard. It is a specific keyboard function and it varies keyboard to keyboard as well as system to system.

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/f/fn.htm

The bottom line is, it worked for you probably because you pressed certain F-keys, such as I described above pressing F1 first before pressing F5 and goto edit town. Pressing the Fn key in conjunction to the F-keys do nothing as the Fn functions are not tied in to the game. And by suggesting people press the Fn key, you may cause them to inadvertently screw up their system function such as disabling the wifi, mess with their audio or brightness, switching monitor mode, etc... or cause other more annoying changes to their system.

Since your account is new and your original post was your only post, it could come off as you are deliberately trying to sabotage other people's systems. However, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are just not aware of the harm your suggestion above could cause.

I shared a solution and you're telling me that I am not aware of the harm my suggestion could cause? My laptop works in a way that I need the fn key for a lot of things. I used to own a laptop that did not need me to use the fn key at all, so it really matters what type of laptop you have. I'm pretty sure that disabling the wifi or decreasing/increasing brightness has nothing to do with screwing up the system or harming it. Fn is related to the F keys because I cannot use them without it. They only work when I use the additional Fn key. Outside the game Fn+F5 for example lowers my brightness and I am aware of that. Some people need them like I do, some don't. Your hardware matters. I am in no way trying to sabotage other people's system and pressing the Fn keys along with F keys will not cause it. I don't know what do you mean by your whole reply, but you're not giving me any benefits. Please don't talk to me like that.