Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 8:24 PM Last edited by KISSESfromCARIE : 25th Jul 2014 at 8:27 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
Default PC nearly unusable
My Windows PC is so slow I can hardly use it. It's almost 5 years old, so I'm sure that's part of the issue, but I'm wondering if there's a deeper problem. I can't afford a new PC at the moment, but if there's anything I can do to improve my current machine, I'd like to know. I don't have anything particularly valuable on it, so if I need to do something like wiping it clean, that's fine. Here's a copy of my dxdiag:

If there's any additional information that would be helpful, please let me know.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 9:41 PM
Mkay, well first things first:
Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run a full scan with it. It will be slow. If it nukes any malware which is slowing down your machine, it will be worth it. :P

Download CCleaner (free version), launch it, and go to Tools -> Startup. Disable anything that's in there that you don't 100% need running all the time. If there's stuff you're not sure of, take a screenshot and post it here.

What anti-virus do you use? If it's Norton or McAfee, uninstall it and replace it with Avast or Avira - both are free, and much less resource hoggy than Norton of McAfee (and more reliable, too).

How much free space do you have on your C: drive? When was the last time you defragmented it?

What's your CPU model? For some reason it wasn't included in your dxdiag.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.