Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#26 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 11:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aegagropilon
For most of my sims, I fulfill their wants within reason... though there have been some stand-offs. The worst one was the Great Encouragement Want Standoff that occurred when the Subject twins became kids. Nervous was apparently hellbent on encouraging Grimhild to be more like him personality-wise and absolutely would not roll any wants except encouragement ones for her. As the days went on (I play with aging off for long stretches), his aspiration meter went from green to red... but he still wouldn't roll anything else but those same wants. Since I'm a softie that didn't want to see him play with a flour sack instead of his kids, I caved and let him encourage her to be sloppier. Things went back to normal after that (and I doubt Grimhild even misses that one lonely neat point).

As far as my Romance sims go, I let them chase after whoever they want as long as the target isn't in an exclusive relationship, engaged, or married. The same holds true for Fortune sim Ajay Loner, who's going to be in for one heck of a slap-filled life when his various romances find out about each other.

I try to keep from fulfilling the fears, though sometimes it is unavoidable. I've found that sloppy sims can avoid the diaper-change while still taking care of their babies by bathing the baby. The diaper still registers as dirty, but the baby's hygiene is brought back up to full. (And I agree with those who say that Lazlo and Nervous are both fantastic parents. Lazlo only had one biological kid in my game -- though he practically raised his brothers' alien kids and helped raise Crystal's daughter Ruby from her first marriage, as well as Crystal's ex-husband's alien kid Uncanny -- and Nervous had five biological kids and would have had more if he hadn't started rolling "have a baby" fears during Frieda's last pregnancy. Those fears would roll away as soon as he held his second daughter Difficult, but it was still an indication that Grimuara would be the final one.)

In my uber-megahood, Nervous and his wife, Joy, both want to have ten kids. They've done very well so far, and both are permaplat so no need to worry about their fears - permaplat aspiration just goes back up again! And they have plenty of aspiration points so both can drink elixir of life and have as many kids as they want, though I also want Nervous to fulfill his LTW of raising twenty kittens - he's got a kitty that's nearing the end of her life, and he and the rest of the family will be heartbroken when Alegra passes away
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 2:10 PM
I often lock death fears, as folks should be devastated at death.

I never worry about fears of changing diapers, as in my experience fulfilling it scrambles the wants as well as the fears, and new wants always include interactions with the baby, which if filled will offset the hit of changing diapers. And then they tend not to roll the fear again.

The fear of public restrooms, however...oh, good lord! Estebanico Casa, no nice points, 10 neat points, was built in CAS as part of an eight-person family I moved into a two-bedroom, one-bath apartment. The only way to manage that many people (one of them a toddler, which in my experience always means exploding sinks) with only one bathroom was to send independent family members to community lots to deal with personal hygiene needs. Estebanico was completely phobic about public restrooms, and the lack of nice points meant that he didn't even have to be in the red to be impossible. He was Romance, too - I'd counted on dating him to townies to keep his moods green and he couldn't make time with anybody because he resisted positive interactions if I controlled him, and was always a total jerk if I let him off the leash for a moment. And of course one of the points of running such a big family is that I can't keep them on the leash all the time and have to let them free range a bit, becoming their own sims. I had two teens in the family, so I declared him to be the older of the two and shipped him off to Sim State early. I don't think he's used a public restroom once since then.

Hmmm...I suddenly wonder if he maybe was molested in one back in Guasimala once...it'd explain a lot...

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#28 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 5:47 PM
I try to fulfill most of their wants, unless it´s something I find pointless. One thing I hate is when a sim wakes up in the morning and roll the following wants: blog about hobby x, blog about hobby y, blog about hobby z and talk about hobby. That has been a trend in my game for a long time - almost all older sims wake up every single day with 4 hobby-related wants. I recently recreated my neighborhood, but I didn´t recreate their hobby enthusiasm, and so far thanks to that the game is much more enjoyable now. My sims roll more interesting wants. I think I´ll ban them all from blogging about hobbies and if they roll a want to do so I´ll ignore it and hope they will stop rolling wants like that. Many people say that you can "train" sims to roll other wants, so I hope I´ll manage to achieve that regaring those stupid hobby wants.

However, like I said, I try to fulfill most of their wants. But I tend to focus on the wants I find easiest and most comfortable. If a popularity sim for example wants to have a party, but also wants to reach level 5 in cooking, I tend to focus on the skilling because it´s easier for me as a player to tell a sim to study something than it is to hold a party. If I decide to hold a party however, I never regret it. Parties can be a lot of fun, where lots of unexpected things always happen. It´s just that I tend to get lazy, but I have made some progress actually . Now I have parties at least sometimes unlike before.

I usually never lock their fears, but to lock death fears is actually a very good idea. Like Peni Griffin said it makes sense if a sim becomes depressed when a loved one dies.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 6:41 PM
For some of my sims, I revolve their stories around their LTW so that I can try to fulfill it for them. However, this isn't the case for all of them, and some of them just happen to get stuck with a story that I thought up that has nothing to do with their LTW based on their family history or personality. So when it comes to those daily wants, especially the bigger wants, I fulfill those as I see fitting to the story. For instance, I have a knowledge sim who just happened to be a politician. His story is that he is lobbying for supernatural creatures to move out of the current subhood into another subhood because he's afraid that they will harm non-supernatural sims. Now, he rolled a want to be abducted by aliens. This kind of contradiction to his story, so I won't let him get abducted (though it could be a whole new story on its own if he did get abducted, but I chose to carry it this way).

Now, for minor things that don't really influence the story, I kind of approach it at a convenience standpoint. If a sim is adverse to changing their kid's diapers, but the rest of his family is too busy to do it, then I'm just going to make him do it. Likewise, if my sim wants to buy something, and they can afford it, I usually fulfill those because those are easy to fulfill. However, I do prefer that they stay happy, so I will try to fulfill those minor wants and avoid those minor fears.

As for fulfilling wants to become a different creature, I usually don't because I have specific rules about who can become a creature (I'm trying to push myself to play creatures more because I have otherwise not played them - so some of them might be revised as I go). Anyone who wants to be alien abducted can unless it falls against their story. Witches can only be made through heredity. Only children of a witch have a 50% chance of becoming a witch, or grandchildren have a 25% chance. Two witches who have children together will have 100% chance of having a witch child. I havent really developed rules for werewolves or vampires yet because I haven't played them much.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#30 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 7:56 PM Last edited by JDacapo : 4th Apr 2012 at 8:42 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by dieKristina
I try to fulfill most of their wants, unless it´s something I find pointless. One thing I hate is when a sim wakes up in the morning and roll the following wants: blog about hobby x, blog about hobby y, blog about hobby z and talk about hobby. That has been a trend in my game for a long time - almost all older sims wake up every single day with 4 hobby-related wants. I recently recreated my neighborhood, but I didn´t recreate their hobby enthusiasm, and so far thanks to that the game is much more enjoyable now. My sims roll more interesting wants. I think I´ll ban them all from blogging about hobbies and if they roll a want to do so I´ll ignore it and hope they will stop rolling wants like that. Many people say that you can "train" sims to roll other wants, so I hope I´ll manage to achieve that regaring those stupid hobby wants.

However, like I said, I try to fulfill most of their wants. But I tend to focus on the wants I find easiest and most comfortable. If a popularity sim for example wants to have a party, but also wants to reach level 5 in cooking, I tend to focus on the skilling because it´s easier for me as a player to tell a sim to study something than it is to hold a party. If I decide to hold a party however, I never regret it. Parties can be a lot of fun, where lots of unexpected things always happen. It´s just that I tend to get lazy, but I have made some progress actually . Now I have parties at least sometimes unlike before.

I usually never lock their fears, but to lock death fears is actually a very good idea. Like Peni Griffin said it makes sense if a sim becomes depressed when a loved one dies.

There's a mod that actually makes blogging more worthwhile. If a sim has full enthusiasm for a hobby and blogs about it with the mod in place, that sim will earn money for it.

Edit: WTF? http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=305901 Why would a Knowledge sim want someone to be cured? Well... if that is possible, I hope that my non-Knowledge sims will roll wants to become witches.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 4:20 AM
I try to fulfill the wants of all the sims I play and keep them in platinum as much as possible. Well, except for the rare ones who are supposed to be unhappy. I fulfill their fears in that case.

As a player, I feel more satisfied in fulfilling certain wants than others. Wants like "train a toddler to do x", "child gets scholarship", "reach level 7-10 of a skill", "reach the top of a career", "have a baby/grandchild", "get married/engaged/ go steady" etc. Fulfilling their want to be "best friends" with a sim I want them to befriend is more satisfying than their want to be "best friend" with a ugly and mean townie they met at a community lot who's not even of the same age group.

Of course, I love to ignore stupid wants like "NPC witch is cured of Withchery" or the "Grand Vampire is cured of vampirism". The most annoying of all wants are the triple wants of "Get Puppy/Get Kitten/Get Puppy or Kitten" which always tend to come together. The one who gets these wants always tends to end up with the household chores and need desperation. It seems hilarious when they say, "my past week was terrible and my life has no meaning as you didn't cure those NPCs of their supernatural ailments!" No matter, the fact that they received 2 promotions and also got a child that very week.

Fulfilling wants for fortune sims are satisfying in their own way.

My Fortune sim: "Buy a painting costing 5000 simoleans" "Buy a game costing 5,000 simoleans", "Buy a Helicopter"

Me: Turn "move_objects on", buy these items, put them in the sims inventory and hit delete!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#32 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 4:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Firelira78
I try to fulfill the wants of all the sims I play and keep them in platinum as much as possible. Well, except for the rare ones who are supposed to be unhappy. I fulfill their fears in that case.

As a player, I feel more satisfied in fulfilling certain wants than others. Wants like "train a toddler to do x", "child gets scholarship", "reach level 7-10 of a skill", "reach the top of a career", "have a baby/grandchild", "get married/engaged/ go steady" etc. Fulfilling their want to be "best friends" with a sim I want them to befriend is more satisfying than their want to be "best friend" with a ugly and mean townie they met at a community lot who's not even of the same age group.

Of course, I love to ignore stupid wants like "NPC witch is cured of Withchery" or the "Grand Vampire is cured of vampirism". The most annoying of all wants are the triple wants of "Get Puppy/Get Kitten/Get Puppy or Kitten" which always tend to come together. The one who gets these wants always tends to end up with the household chores and need desperation. It seems hilarious when they say, "my past week was terrible and my life has no meaning as you didn't cure those NPCs of their supernatural ailments!" No matter, the fact that they received 2 promotions and also got a child that very week.

Fulfilling wants for fortune sims are satisfying in their own way.

My Fortune sim: "Buy a painting costing 5000 simoleans" "Buy a game costing 5,000 simoleans", "Buy a Helicopter"

Me: Turn "move_objects on", buy these items, put them in the sims inventory and hit delete!

WTF Mate? There are sims who wish that grand vampires or witches they met and aren't playable yet... would be cured? That's so dumb! Ugh I wish there was a way to curb those wishes, even if it meant just going 'ghetto' and using some kind of mod to take those wants in the want-tree and find some way to 'mark as read' so they wouldn't come up again. I mean I have done that using debug mode - ctrl-clicking on the witch fear, and it dun come back. Same thing with the cure want... just ctrl-click and boom! no more witch-cure want! I'd like something that does it automatically though, so those stupid wants no longer appear... or at least they would be randomly marked as read for any non-knowledge sims.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 6:06 AM
Actually, there is indeed a mod which curbs the specific stupid wants to cure an NPC of its supernatural affliction. That is, the "wfsanity" over at the MATY website. I don't use it as these gets rid of some other wants and fears which I'd like to see. Moreover, these sim stupidities and ridiculousness really amuses me.

There are a couple of non-cheaty ways to keep the sims' aspirations up and yet not give in to their stupid wants.

1) Get them to drink strawberry lemonade. Instant platinum aspiration and mood

2) Get hold of the sim vac aspiration reward and a helpless townie passerby and absorb. The sim who absorbs gets a boost in aspiration even if the victim is completely red! Repeat till platinum.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 6:21 AM
I've never had a want stuck so I couldn't get rid of it. Take them to a community lot or three, send them on a date or an outing, throw a monkey wrench into their lives with an unplanned pregnancy or a caught cheating event or something - it's just like that craving for the food your doctor specifically told you not to eat. Give them something else to think about.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#35 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 6:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I've never had a want stuck so I couldn't get rid of it. Take them to a community lot or three, send them on a date or an outing, throw a monkey wrench into their lives with an unplanned pregnancy or a caught cheating event or something - it's just like that craving for the food your doctor specifically told you not to eat. Give them something else to think about.

Suppose I have a sim who wants to be cured of a creature state... would getting him or her sprayed by a skunk, abducted by aliens, or possibly in a relationship with a romance townie who cheats in front of them remove the cure want?

Also, I have wfsanity. Might be part of the reason my college students were for the most part fine with being witches - that and the blank slate effect I guess.

Bluebell, a blue-skinned pixie sim I made, is family/pleasure and fine with being a witch.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 6:49 AM
I don't know; but any time you do anything that scrambles the wants, you have a chance to roll a completely different set of wants, and all those situations will tend to reroll the wants and fears. It might come back, or it might not.

If a want or fear you find annoying recurs constantly, just ignore it and work with the others in the array. It'll never be perfect, you know.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#37 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 6:56 AM
I don't know; but any time you do anything that scrambles the wants, you have a chance to roll a completely different set of wants, and all those situations will tend to reroll the wants and fears. It might come back, or it might not.

If a want or fear you find annoying recurs constantly, just ignore it and work with the others in the array. It'll never be perfect, you know.

Hmm... so, major events like aliens will scramble wants? I'll see what kinds of things will scramble them :D
Scholar
#38 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 2:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
Hmm... so, major events like aliens will scramble wants? I'll see what kinds of things will scramble them :D

Alien abductions seem to scramble the wants for the whole neighborhood. When Vidcund got abducted the first time, I remember that the next time I played the Beaker lot I saw that Loki had the want rolled for Vidcund to meet aliens again. This was while they were still enemies; at that point Loki was probably hoping the aliens would keep him! (They're best friends now. It's always funny watching them pal around, especially on community lots because it brings out the prankster side in both of them.)

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 2:53 PM
I just stopped to try and full fill all their wants because one of my sims had one very hard want to fill

she wanted woohoo with 3 ehm 5,no 5,10,20,30,,,,,80 well not all of this is what I saw in her wants but it was going there
if she didn't have 3 kids and a loving husband I would have tried how far the numbers really go up
but I had to take her to a community-lot that I build for this function to take on the last 10 woohoo'ers and to get to the 20 done
her first 9 after the husband knew him as well (risky no?) and she did them at home

now I just look what wants can be helped with by using buy/build mode
if one happens to have a fear for something I just hope does not happen

in some houses in my city I just make sure everything keeps working
like the elevator needs repair every now and then
and sims who know how to repair stuff just seem to not do it autonomously

remove me from your history, I'm not interrested in this site anymore
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 6:55 PM
I never really even pay attention to the fears. If one gets fulfilled, it just does, my two most fulfilled fears are probably wetting themselves ( I'm playing a prarie themed hood, and the outhouse is usually where ever they're not) and passing out.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#41 Old 5th Apr 2012 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aegagropilon
Alien abductions seem to scramble the wants for the whole neighborhood. When Vidcund got abducted the first time, I remember that the next time I played the Beaker lot I saw that Loki had the want rolled for Vidcund to meet aliens again. This was while they were still enemies; at that point Loki was probably hoping the aliens would keep him! (They're best friends now. It's always funny watching them pal around, especially on community lots because it brings out the prankster side in both of them.)

I've also found that if I clear gossip, then reroll the wants of people like the dormies, they don't have fears of becoming witches.

Also, is it normal for a family sim to fear the plantsim cure? Or is Rose Greenman a special case? Was she hard-coded for it, or was it due to her basically always just being a plantsim?
Test Subject
#42 Old 6th Apr 2012 at 6:57 AM
I fulfill doable wants, but I generally just ignore wants like learning to cook a meal, etc. I think those are a waste of the precious sim's time.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#43 Old 6th Apr 2012 at 8:49 AM
I will at times fulfill small wants like that because you know, it's good to see that something like that can bring some joy into a sim's life, when so many nightmares can crop up *evil cackle*
Mad Poster
#44 Old 6th Apr 2012 at 1:43 PM
Improving cooking skill is never a waste of time! The more little, incidental wants you fulfill during a day, the less time is required for the big wants, which can easily come to dominate the sim's life and you find yourself either having Big Days all the time or fluctuating between extremes of mood. Both of which can be exhausting. It's restful to have a day of pottering around doing little things once in awhile, even for intense players; and the bigger your family, the more this is true. I'm pretty good at cramming lots of big events into a day, and I enjoy it, but you don't want to have to do it all the time.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#45 Old 6th Apr 2012 at 6:56 PM
Improving cooking skill is never a waste of time! The more little, incidental wants you fulfill during a day, the less time is required for the big wants, which can easily come to dominate the sim's life and you find yourself either having Big Days all the time or fluctuating between extremes of mood. Both of which can be exhausting. It's restful to have a day of pottering around doing little things once in awhile, even for intense players; and the bigger your family, the more this is true. I'm pretty good at cramming lots of big events into a day, and I enjoy it, but you don't want to have to do it all the time.

True! And those small wants, like to talk and tell jokes, can make such a big difference when a sim goes into aspirational failure - it really helped when Jenny Smith went nuts shortly after arriving to welcome Nervous Subject to the neighbourhood.
Page 2 of 2