Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 2:29 PM
Default Wall crack with split level stairs
I've only done these one other time, but this time there is visible crack on the inside wall. The outside looks fine. My game crashed when I saved the lot so I'm not sure if that was the cause or it just didn't like all my CF fiddling.

Is there some trick to not getting a crack?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 10:14 PM
Is it a crack like the one I have here Jo?

If so hate to tell you its unfortanate but does happen, normally when its at a join or corner in the wall, is that where it is? Only thing you really can do is cover it with deco, had mine covered with plants before I moved them to show you, and then its not really noticable.
If its not like that can you take a pic so we can see whats happening?

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 10:47 PM
Sorry Tiffany, I did take a picture and didn't upload it.

here:

The first time I built these stairs I didn't get a crack like that. I really wish I had left it alone at that point instead of trying them in different places only to end up back where I first had them and this time with a crack. Darn it I always have to fiddle.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#4 Old 9th Aug 2013 at 12:49 AM
That does happen Jo, the more you play round with them you will get the crack! Have one exactly like yours in the same spot on my split level stairs, cause I fiddled! the only option to not get it would be to start on a fresh lot and just do th ecfe once and thats it!

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Aug 2013 at 3:22 AM
Thanks for the tip. I guess since it crashed, that lot is better bulldozed anyway.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th Aug 2013 at 9:55 PM
Sorry to get here so late; but, yeah, that crack is unavoidable in that instance. You could pull the stairs one or two tiles away from the wall. You'll still get a crack - but it's more of a seam than an open crack... If you build your stairs first, then add the walls and floors - SOMEtimes you can creatively 'move' the crack/seam around to where it's less noticeable.
I did that here:
https://thumbs2.modthesims.info/img/...-Floorplan2.jpg
https://thumbs2.modthesims.info/img/...-Floorplan1.jpg

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 6:36 AM
Okay, so since it's the inside wall in the corner causing the crack, what do you think of not using it at all?

I know all the tutorials say to put a square box of wall with a floor tile on top but I made this with just a floor tile. Then I used some wooden paneling and a wooden fence behind it to hide where the two stairs meet. I also tried using a column in the corner but I though this looked better.

Opinions? I wasn't sure if I should post this here or on creators feedback. A plant or something could go in front of it as well. I liked how neat the wall seam looked doing it this way.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#8 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 6:54 AM
This is a big hate of mine with cfe haha. I hate the crack in the wall.
What does it look like without the fence post? I think it sticks out just a bit too much.

◄ TDS - TheDeadSim - Cam ►
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 6:58 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 12th Aug 2013 at 7:13 AM.
Well without you can see through more. I'll reload it and take another picture. Only takes a few minutes with AGS.

With the fence and plant.

With the fence removed

Column which I'm not so keen on.

Just adding this is my mac compatible AGS slot and it only goes up to Seasons and this is a cc free house.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#10 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 7:20 AM
using the column to hide the gap's a great idea. (although that one's not doing it any favors, aesthetically)
try using 2 story columns, or connecting columns that gives your staircase a bit of a curve o3o

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=286956
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=426783

you can put a sofa or a console table in between the columns and you'll have a little nook beside your stair case :D
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 7:27 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 12th Aug 2013 at 8:03 AM.
That's a great idea Kanzen, even though it would require some cc.I might look at the in game ones first and then try the cc ones, thanks. I should have said it's supposed to be a beach type house so I can't use anything too grand.

I don't think that will work either as the connecting columns sit away from the stairs leaving the gap still and if you move it with snapon to hide the gap they don't work as connecting columns any longer. Also I forgot to say there is a bathroom wall in the way.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#12 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 11:00 AM
If its a beach type house then my vote goes to the plant! xD
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 12:17 PM
I think the fence with the plant look best.

I keep wanting to put ceiling tiles on lol. None in Sessions!

~Call me Jo~
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#14 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 2:05 PM
I want to know how you managed to put a patterned wall on that seam and it didn't distort...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 2:20 PM
The grey? That worked better than I expected. I guess because the pattern is straight? I just thought it was too dark for a beach house without being able to put a window in. Most other patterns do distort. If I put on paint with a skirting board you would see the board go down that slant. You can see it more in the last picture. Building it without the square of wall in the corner caused less warping.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 4:11 PM
Yes - you can use vertical stripes, they don't distort
I like the plant idea best. This looks really good!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Forum Resident
#17 Old 13th Aug 2013 at 1:14 AM
yep. plant and fence post looks best :3
glad it worked out!