Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 4:49 PM Last edited by LoonehWannabe : 10th Aug 2014 at 5:55 PM.
Default not-really-official house ideas thread
Well, when the Ultimate Collection came out, I began playing Sims 2 again and realized that I hated -playing- with Sims but really liked building houses. The problem that I have, though, is that most of my houses look like glorified boxes with a roof.
Now, I don't know about you, but glorified boxes with a roof aren't fun to make. So I thought, "Hey, it might be cool to make a thread on MTS about building houses so others can share ideas for houses, themes, etc." and this thread was born.

So, for starters, some rules:
- Follow all forum rules (Obviously!)
- Do not request a house. This thread is for house ideas, not requests and ETAs
- Ideas for community lots are welcome too, but I have a feeling that we'll mainly focus on houses
- If you ask for critiques, I feel like it would be fair to give credit for any CC that you may have

EDIT: Hit up the Creator Feedback Forum for critiques!

And last but not least, here's a list of cheats in the Sims 2. The "Build cheats" and "Buy cheats" are what you'll be interested in.

And moderators, if there's any issues in this thread, please tell me and I'll fix them. And if there's already a thread like this (But I've looked and couldn't find one for the Sims 2, sadly), I'm really sorry!
Advertisement
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 5:24 PM
There is the Creator Feedback Forum for critique of all types of creations.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 5:35 PM
The most obvious thing for a building player to do is to do a little research try to master different building styles - to create a California bungalow, a New York Brownstone, a British terraced house, a Second Empire townhouse, a pioneer sod house (that'd be a big challenge to make decently playable), a Queen Anne, a Stick - any general reference work on the history of architecture should be brimming with starting places.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 5:54 PM
@karen lorraine, thank you for telling me. I didn't know that and I'll add the link to my OP! thank you

@Peni Griffin, thank you for the advice! I actually just found a website with floor plans and exterior shots of real homes (for those who are planning on building an, erm, real home) and I'm going through the categories/styles right now. Now I just need to figure out how to handle looking at a reference and playing the game... time to hook up my printer, eh?