Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jan 2019 at 3:37 AM
Default Beginning CAS modder - need help
I am beginning to learn how to use the various programs and tools needed to create custom content for the Sims 3. I dabbled a bit with the Sims 2, but never had the guts to share anything I made.

At the moment, I'm playing around with a dress from EP6 (Showtime). It's called afBodyEP6DressOffShoulder. I learned enough from the tutorials and poking at it that I was able to clone it into my game. What I'm trying to do is remove the necklace from the dress. The necklace is the "painted on" kind and looks kinda ugly. I extracted the DDS files from the package and edited them in Photoshop, then re-imported them. The package loads fine into the game, but the textures are black and mismatched. I think something went wrong when I saved the DDS files in Photoshop.

I don't particularly want someone to do this for me, because I want to learn how to do it myself.

Could someone point me in the right direction of a tutorial or tell me what I did wrong?

"He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and can see the turn of the universe... and... he's wonderful."
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 1st Jan 2019 at 5:17 PM
Black textures sounds as though you lost your transparency somewhere. I can't tell you where, because when I edit textures I use a program that I am comfortable with that doesn't support DDS. What I do is to open it in Gimp (which does support DDS), save it as png, edit the png in my program, save the final result as png, open the new png in Gimp, and then save the result as a DDS. And if I accidentally save in any other format than png, the transparency gets lost and I get black where it shouldn't be.

Afterthought: You might be using the wrong settings when you save your DDS. Which options are you using?

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 1:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Afterthought: You might be using the wrong settings when you save your DDS. Which options are you using?

I think that's exactly the problem. I think I saved it with the wrong transparency. I'm gonna try again.

"He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and can see the turn of the universe... and... he's wonderful."
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 2:33 AM
You're a genius. I made a blog post about the dress and gave you credit for jogging my memory. :D

I used DDS 1 AND forgot to generate maps. I was pretty frustrated with it, so I appreciate the assist!

Site Helper
#5 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 3:59 PM
You're welcome. (Although I do kind of like the look of the black and blue version. It reminds me of that silly black and blue or white and gold dress that was making the rounds on Facebook a while ago.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook