Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 11:42 PM
A little excessive playing Anyone????
I(like many people) lovvvveee sims 2! I mean who doesn't? Well my friend got the game and I swear she has issues. She made a family and a high school hotty of hers She made it to generatoin 10 on her first day!!!!!!!! I mean I play a lot but generatoin 10??? seriously. Can some one please tell me thats normal?? Well it's her 4th week... I think she's like on generation 30 somethin....
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 12:25 AM
Default Killing time
I suppose it's possible, if one had a day to fritter away on pixel people. There's a lot worse she could be doing with her time...like using meth or learning to play the bagpipes.
Test Subject
#3 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 12:32 AM
true but I had no Idea you could play so obsessively on one game and make it that far in one day!

MATHGIRLKY CREATIONS
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 12:46 AM
thats super dedication!!
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 1:54 AM
Generation 10 is a big deal. I can't do that in one night.

true love is sim love.

twitter - sequoiaaaa_
tumblr - thefavoritelove
Field Researcher
#6 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 2:12 AM
I've been playing TS2 since the day it came out and I still haven't made it to Generation 10!

I want to get a vending machine, with fun sized candy bars, and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.- Mitch Hedberg
Inventor
#7 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 2:35 AM
10 generations in one night? Phew. The thought of all those bottles and stinky diapers lying around makes me physically exhausted. Was it done via Insim or did she make the effort to find partners for them all?

I'm still only on 3rd generation but then I do like to flit between numerous different sims in my hood.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#8 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 2:35 AM
Unless half the generations were self-spawning plantsims, the math says this can't be done without cheats. Aging with a birthday cake, there are 27 days between birth and adulthood. Pregnancy takes 3 days. On normal speed, a day = 24 real time minutes, so a birth-to-birth lifespan takes 12 hours of gameplay. Fast speed kind of depends on your specs, but let's say one Sim day is 4 real time minutes, so birth-to-birth takes 2 hours of impossible gameplay. (I don't see how anyone could build a relationship high enough to try for baby without ever leaving fastest speed.)

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, and I don't have (much) of a problem with hyperbole or outright fibbing...I just love math.

So, how was your friend playing to accomplish this? Plantsims? Inteen (5 or more generations of teen births)? Using cheats to age up early?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 2:37 AM
10 generations in one night? I've not been able to get past 5 in my oldest hood-3 years on!
Either dedication or obsession, pick one. I'd be burned out if I did that, myself. Those simmies tend to tire you out!
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 2:42 AM
Sure she didn't mean 10 kids or something?

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Scholar
#11 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 3:17 AM
Suddenly I really want to try having 10 generations, on fast forwards, in one night.

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
- Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
tumblr
Scholar
#12 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 4:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kailacat
Suddenly I really want to try having 10 generations, on fast forwards, in one night.
I certainly don't!

It took me long enough even WITH teen pregnancy to get to Generation 7 (the furthest I've ever got with a family) and THAT was accomplished over a good number of weeks!

Even without going into all the figures (I'm a maths geek too) I can't see how 10 generations could be managed in one night either! Even with Simblender I think I'd struggle to do it, and I'd get incredibly bored at the same time...

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Instructor
#13 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 6:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Selly_2009
Even without going into all the figures (I'm a maths geek too) I can't see how 10 generations could be managed in one night either! Even with Simblender I think I'd struggle to do it, and I'd get incredibly bored at the same time...

You'd have to cheat via the Tombstone of L & D with "Set to Birthday" and the speed up my pregnancy option. I've done that occasionally when I just want to experiment with genetics and/or am tired of one generation of a family, but STILL... ten gens in one go is nuts!
Forum Resident
#14 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 7:44 AM
This is pathetic, I know, but my life is basically all sims. I wake up, go directly to sims until time that downloads are free for my internet, and then I download cc, go to bed, then repeat the cycle. I have never in the many years I have been playing accomplished such a thing as ten generations a night.

If your friend managed this she must be some kind of superbeing with some sort of super computer for high speed gaming....

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Mad Poster
#15 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 11:20 AM
Even if your friend did accomplish this "goal", what was the use of it? It sounds like no fun at all-sort of a "Guinness World Records" kind of playing with no achievement award at the end, except a crowded NH full of sims with lots of relatives.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 2:57 PM
I'm addicted but it took me a couple of weeks (real time) to get to 15 generations in Life Stories. I guess it depends on how many families you play at a time.
Scholar
#17 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 3:11 PM
Okay, two nights. My sims will try for baby as soon as they are adults. I will put them on Free Will and ACR and hope they don't die. 3x Fast Forwards. :D

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
- Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
tumblr
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 3:42 PM
how many generations did she start with in CAS? IF im right you can start with a grandparents,an adult couple , and a toddler/child/teen of the adults
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 4:10 PM
Isn't it odd though? I'm almost possitive she didn't use cheats...
Scholar
#20 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 4:19 PM
Wow...I can't say it's normal for most people, but it's not unheard of to play a video game at that intensity. At some point I'm sure the novelty will wear off and she'll play with more moderation. My husband and oldest son get obsessive like that with computer games (most recently Dungeons and Dragons Online for Hubby and WoW for my son). They will get up on a day off and head straight to the computer (maybe stopping for a bowl of cereal). Most days I may get an hour or two of downtime, which is sometimes spent playing Sims 1, 2 or 3 or some other computer game (WoW being my other video "crack" of choice) and sometimes I just go do something else. Lately, however, I've been obsessed with playing Sims 1 and spent most of yesterday playing...which is very unusual. So hats off to your friend...however, like most of the people who responded, I'm thinking she got ahold of one of the many game mods out there...10 generations does seem a bit over the top...I've been playing my current Sims 2 installation for a year and am only on generation 7 with the main family I play.

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Instructor
#21 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 5:44 PM
I played the game all night when I first got it, I was just fascinated. I'd been on console versions and was so intrigued by all the new possibilities the PC version had. I didn't even notice the time until some ridiculous hour in the morning, and even after that I couldn't tear myself away.
Now I'm used to the game I play in moderation. That probably has something to do with the fact I'm playing on a laptop until my birthday comes around, and that I'm busier with a job and college, etc. But I still often have playing marathons in the holidays and play for entire days, it just depends how I'm feeling. Sometimes I go without playing for weeks if I'm super busy, but I just appreciate it more afterwards.
Test Subject
#22 Old 20th Sep 2010 at 10:14 AM
I won't lie, I also am an excessive player of The Sims 2. :D
But wow, I salute your friend! :D
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 20th Sep 2010 at 3:53 PM
maybe she's just one of those people who get hyperfocused on a new thing for awhile, (the shiny factor) hopefully she'll move on soon and find other things to do as well.

Help - there are small people in my computer - and they are talking to me!
Mad Poster
#24 Old 20th Sep 2010 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mangaroo
Unless half the generations were self-spawning plantsims, the math says this can't be done without cheats. Aging with a birthday cake, there are 27 days between birth and adulthood. Pregnancy takes 3 days. On normal speed, a day = 24 real time minutes, so a birth-to-birth lifespan takes 12 hours of gameplay. Fast speed kind of depends on your specs, but let's say one Sim day is 4 real time minutes, so birth-to-birth takes 2 hours of impossible gameplay. (I don't see how anyone could build a relationship high enough to try for baby without ever leaving fastest speed.)

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, and I don't have (much) of a problem with hyperbole or outright fibbing...I just love math.

So, how was your friend playing to accomplish this? Plantsims? Inteen (5 or more generations of teen births)? Using cheats to age up early?
I have to say the cynic in me was thinking exactly this.

With EPs which allow permaplat status, perks of supernatural sims, ACR and InTeen I could perhaps see this happening but the game would have to have been on super-speed.

I have spent a great many hours on The Sims over the last ten years. If someone came to me and said they could tell me the exact number of hours... I don't think I'd want to hear it!