Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 8:27 PM
Default Need help to Extract face of custom sim for Milkshape modeling
Hi! Not sure which is the correct area so move it if needed.

Problem: I want to create a custom sim that can't be edited in CAS because of the vanilla slider limitations so I want to export the face to milkshape where I can model the face the way I want then import it back into my .sim person .

Question: How do I extract the face for that specific sim? I don't want to make sliders for all sims.

I have the Sims3pack and the .sim file and the 00xxxxblah-blah.package file but they don't import into Milkshape...

Ideas? Can it be done? or do I have to make sliders? I can extract the basic male face and model that but how to I stick that custom face on a specific sim?

I will be experimenting until someone answers. Thanks!
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 9:54 PM
There's no model for sim faces in TS3 - it's done entirely on the fly based on the slider values, at least it is as far as I can tell. A few people have tried to extract sim meshes by having a sculptor sim sculpt them, then export the lot and try to find the sculpture mesh... but then you can't reimport. 'Fraid you may be out of luck. :/

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 11:09 PM
Thanks! That explains why I have been unsuccessful in extracting a mesh. I'll work on sliders or get a mod from Twallan that will allow me to create the features I want.

It's a shame cuz I can model a mesh better than playing with CAS. lol

.... hmmm... unless.. we can make a slider that is the face we want, then go into CAS and apply that to our sim... I saw the tute for making sliders...... hmmmm.......... It might be worth playing with over the weekend... I want to create some sims for N8iveSims and CAS won't do them justice - CAS has severely restricted cheekbone options.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 1:07 AM
Yes, you could definitely do that.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 12:02 AM
Well, I played with Milkshape during lunch today and this is what I got so far. The cheekbones are so difficult to do well and still refrain from moving the face edges where they meet the hairline and neck. I'm trying to make a likeness of this guy.. :0) I am not doing too badly at it considering I have no artistic skills. lol I have a long way to go though. ... Now if I could 'magic' up the real guy. The sims3 gets tossed to the curb! . No, I have only been drinking coke today....
Screenshots
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 12:54 AM
you really should make some sliders to make those adjustments.
Scale the cheekbones etc
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 2:09 AM
HI BloomsBase, I have one question that I wasn't sure about from reading the GEOM slider tute. Can you make one mesh the way you want, then make sliders for each part using the same face mesh? Or do I need to make several meshes each one only have the differences I want, like the cheekbones and the thin nose, etc. I can't model his nose or cheekbones in CAS. I've tried several times.
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 3:36 AM
oh, you are making a morph based slider.
srry, i misunderstood.

I dont have much experience with morph based sliders, i was talking about Bone sliders(one that influences the sims skeleton)
A morph based slider is indeed a much better choice, you create the face exactly the way you want so that the slider has all the data to change the default sims face into shape.
And yes, you only would have to make one slider.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#9 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 1:24 PM
You can make one geom slider that includes all the changes you want. If you want a cheekbone slider and a separate nose slider, for example, you have to make separate meshes. Each geom slider will include all the changes you make in the mesh. Using a single slider to get the face into exactly the shape you want is a good idea! Keep in mind that you'll still have to go through the other face sliders and set them to zero so they don't interfere. (Or use them for a little final tweaking.)
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 6:29 PM Last edited by porkypine : 5th Nov 2011 at 6:48 PM.
Thank you CmarNYC. That's good to know. I noticed that the face I made in game was a weird hybrid of generic sim and my custom slider... I'll boot the game up and experiment. I like that I can make generic cheek and nose sliders to make generic sims and a full face slider for specific custom sims. GREAT new for the mod group!... Sims3 horses has inspired me to wake up N8iveSims mod group. We've been sleepy since Sims3 came out and frustrated by no horses... lol.. Which reminds me! Is the Sims3 double tent a rabbit hole or can I mod that into a Tipi? hmmmm.....

...rolling up sleeves... Jots down meshing list tasks ......
* Need custom hairstyles!.... [please please please! fix the hairstyles!] lol
* Need custom horse regalia......
* Need to make hats (specific styles of feathered bonnets - with or without trailers, roaches, turbans, etc...) that can be worn withN8iveSims custom hairstyles...
* Need clothing

...will any of this be done for ancient cultures? probably not.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 6:55 PM Last edited by porkypine : 5th Nov 2011 at 7:39 PM.
lol.. Back to the drawing board. I set all the parts to zero but the eyes look funny. ( I oopsed something on the mesh) I'll make individual sliders and just use those to make my simmies..

Thanks for your help! I know where to go now.