Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Wiki Wizard
#76 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 7:46 AM
Usually they are both walled in, you would typically have a large wall on the outer wall of the lower town, then sometimes another wall would separate the upper and lower town if it had that separation, then there would be large walls separating the castle from the upper town If you do separate the lower and upper town with a wall, don't put a door in it, simply put a large arch in it because people could easily walk from one side of town to the other

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Advertisement
Instructor
#77 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 9:51 AM
Oh wow. This project looks stunning! The scenes you've posted make me itch to play Anno 1404 again. :D

If youre stuck for inspiration you could look up a few screens from it, too.

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#78 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 3:17 PM
Ideally, I would want both the Upper and Lower Towns to be walled, but given the fact that there are already at least 60 lots in the city itself, I don't want to go too far :p
Wiki Wizard
#79 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 5:23 PM
I think that it is so stunning at the moment, and you really want to go all the way, don't skip corners because ultimately you will be so much more happy with it and yourself if you really go the whole hog Good luck

Field Researcher
#80 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 7:41 PM
I am UBER excited about this world!

I agree w/Deluxe Designs about the two walls. Ease of travel between one section and the other is important. There's no reason to wall off the citizens from one side of the city, especially if the horpital is on the OTHER side.

This world makes me excited to go back and work some more on my own... Bye! <busily goes back to work on Simarna>
Field Researcher
#81 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 5:21 AM
This world is just jaw-droppingly beautiful. I can't even believe it's TS3! Inspired by this thread, I sat down tonight to figure out just one little thing in CAW: placing a distant terrain like the one in your world. Two hours later, and I still haven't figured it out. CAW just makes me want to stab myself in the eyeball. So I salute your incredible patience and your marvelous creativity!
Test Subject
#82 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 2:40 PM
Default love it
really like the town so far and the idea is just going to be geat cant wait to see it in action
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 3:16 PM
Wow, it's so adorable!
I watched this thread for the first time now, and it is suchh.. AH-MA-ZING!
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 3:36 PM Last edited by hudy777 : 3rd Mar 2010 at 9:05 AM.
There is a game called The Guild 2, it could be good source for ideas how should houses look like, careers, etc.
Here is official web site http://www.theguild2.com
I have this game installed on my PC so if you want some SS just tell me.
Keep up good work, i'm really big fan of medieval stff and i'm looking forward to see how will this end-up, so far it looks astonishing.

EDIT

here is the link with some SS from game

http://hudy777-design.comlu.com/index.php?p=1_22

VISIT MY NEW SITE hudy777DeSign
Forum Resident
#85 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 2:56 AM
Yeah, this has some great screenshots:

http://www.theguild2.com/index.php?lang=en&rid=1463

"Don't be a Hater
Be a Lover"
- A wise man
--------------------------
Call me Simalicious, ImSim, or Chris!
Top Secret Researcher
#86 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 3:35 AM
I love that game! It has some serious bugs though but its a great game. Every once in a while I install it again and play it for a while. It has a lot of mods that make it better. The interiors of the buildings are really well done as well as the exteriors.
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 12:09 PM Last edited by hudy777 : 3rd Mar 2010 at 5:36 PM.
Here are people classes from The Guild 2:
  • Commoner
  • Citizen
  • Patrician
  • Nobelman/Noblewoman
  • Landgrave
  • Baronet/Baronetess
  • Baron/Baroness
  • Count/Countess
  • Marquis/Marquess

There are political career levels on pictures, depends on city develpoment
Screenshots

Instructor
#88 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 1:12 PM
I still stand by Anno 1404 :p

The visuals are amazing once you start getting the money flowing :D

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#89 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 1:57 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 3rd Mar 2010 at 4:15 PM.
Thanks! I did check out Anno 1404 a few days ago, and I think I'll use some of their buildings for inspiration! I'll also check up with the Guild 2

edit: Anyone have anything on renaissance hospitals and public baths?
Test Subject
#90 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 4:40 PM
I like it! I really like it. But remember. always build up. Back then they couldnt buid out so they built up. Also make some farmer lots. Make Huge plots of land with feids and plants already there
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 5:45 PM
Here are pictures of hospital, exterior and interior from guild 2

Top Secret Researcher
#92 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 6:51 PM
Very nice pictures!

I don't think I ever played long enough to get that nice fancy hospital. These would look great recreated in a Sims world.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#93 Old 4th Mar 2010 at 11:15 PM
Redid a part of the city I didn't like. Hope it's better now!

Pics
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f...eenshot-669.jpg

Also, an issue that arises is that some lots (especially those on slopes) have edge issues. When I conform edges on one lot, the other lots edges break; and I conform the latter's edges, the first lot's edges break! I suspect it has to do with the fact that the lots are so close together, but does anyone have any solutions?
Test Subject
#94 Old 4th Mar 2010 at 11:34 PM
Regarding hospitals, they developed into the renaissance from the medieval places of hospitality and refuge using in some form of monastic setting. Usually part of or close to a monastery . So if you are planning another smaller religious place it could perhaps be part of that or very close by. This is a floor plan (roughly) of one of the older hospitals in Norwich which may be of use:
http://www.buildinghistory.org/arti...plannorwich.jpg

And this is part of a website about the place:
http://www.thegreathospital.co.uk/h...buildings.shtml

You could also look at The Hospital of St. Cross in Winchester which is the best preserved medieval hospital (in England atleast).

Great looking project, like others have said, you've managed to create a great 'feeling' with how you've built the city.
Scholar
#95 Old 4th Mar 2010 at 11:31 PM
i love your work so far, every house looks unique

- had a closer look at the chimneys.. i'm not sure if you like it, but you can try to use the recolorable fence, so you don't see the white top of the walls.. if you don't know what i mean check my houses "candle-town"
Wiki Wizard
#96 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 7:45 AM
I liked the fact that in the bit you just re did, the older version had the stone roof that you spent ages on getting right, i would love to see that reappear somewhere else However the changes you made improve it overall, looks much more dense and town like!

Instructor
#97 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 10:22 AM
I love that scene, with the Cathedral in the background. So amazing.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#98 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 5:06 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 8th Mar 2010 at 7:31 AM.
I came. I saw. And I failed to build a hospital

Anyways, the lot proved to small to fit both a church and a hospital in the space provided. Assuming that the Upper Town has health insurance and house visits by the doctor, I put an apothecary (medical career rabbit hole) in the spot intended for the infirmary. An actual hospital should go in the lower town.

Anyways, pics!

Overview
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f...eenshot-672.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f...eenshot-673.jpg

Night
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f...eenshot-677.jpg

Renaissance architecture ftw! (sort of)

p.s. Anyone have any stuff on medieval public baths? I haven't been able to find layouts and stuff. Thanks!
Wiki Wizard
#99 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 7:39 AM
...WOAH! :o that is so amazing!! i love how you integrated those stands into the wall like a shop window kind of thing, and the bell tower you made, i have no idea how you did that, but it looks great! :D

Instructor
#100 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 8:07 AM
Correct me if Im wrong, but it looks like the "tomb" style arch doors with the Shutters Closed variant window placed on the same squares, and then the Chinese lantern for the "bell". I love it! I'm getting more an more excited to play this :D

Locked thread
Page 4 of 32