Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 1:05 AM Last edited by TheJim07 : 1st Mar 2010 at 10:02 AM.
Default 3 tiles table -> 2 tiles table : sunshadow problem
Hi

I made a new 2 tiles table cloning a 3 tiles table. I changed boundingbox, footprint, RSLT and RIG... The table works correctly but the sun shadow of the table is too long, as the table was still a 3 tiles table.
Can I fix that ??

Jim.
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 1:16 AM
Alchemist
#3 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 3:53 AM
I made a one tile table from the three tile glass top table and was able to change the sunshadow so it looks nice by altering the MLOD2 and MLOD3. Your problem should be fixable. If it isn't with the clone you picked it will be with another.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 9:56 AM
Yes I changed the meshes of the sunshadows. You can see it in the screen attached.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#5 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 11:55 AM
Sure you didn't forget to recompile them? That would be something I've stumbled over more than once =) .. you could test that by exporting again from your object and looking at that.

(Also, this looks rather high poly for a sunshadow mesh. Are you sure it needs to be this high res?)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 12:02 PM
Of course I recompiled them. Yes this mesh is high poly. It is from the Sims 2. I made a low version for the other sunshadow.
Alchemist
#7 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 12:16 PM Last edited by orangemittens : 1st Mar 2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: add pictures
For the three tile glass top table ->> one tile table I had to make the sunshadow MLODs like slivers to slim the shadow down in-game.

Here's pictures to illustrate what I mean. In MS the table sunshadow mesh is very narrow in the x direction:

but in the game that translates into a shadow that suits a one-tile table:

I resized them initially like I always do and got a three tile shadow. So I narrowed the shadow in the x direction until it finally looked like a one-tile table shadow. I uploaded one table like this here at MTS...if I'm not explaining well you can download it and take a look to see what I mean.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#8 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 12:35 PM
Isn't it easier to use a 2 tile table as base if you are making a two tile table? You can probably "borrow" the .obj from the 3 tile table to actually make the shape from?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Alchemist
#9 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 12:37 PM
I don't know what Jim wants with it but there is only one glass top table in the base game and it's a three tile table. If you want a glass top table that will function as a dining table and not be solid glass (glass frame too) then you have to clone that one and alter it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 1:45 PM
orangemittens is right : I wanted a table with a glass group ^^. I understand what you did with your sunshadow, I will resize it by 0.67.

What a pity that we can't do that to improve the width of a sunshadow ^^.
Alchemist
#11 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 2:02 PM
That should work nicely for you

I don't understand what you mean by this, "What a pity that we can't do that to improve the width of a sunshadow..."(sorry) could you explain?
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 2:36 PM
For example if we clone a 1 tile table to create a 3 tiles table, we will not be able to adjust the sunshadow in that way
Alchemist
#13 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 10:37 PM
I understand what you mean now. And the only time I tried to enlarge the shadow of a one tile table it didn't respond very successfully so I agree with you...it's a pity.

It makes me thankful that at least we have a three tile table as the only glass top table in the base game instead of a single tile table that might be impossible to change the shadow on successfully.

What object though are you wanting to make that needs a one tile table clone with a three tile footprint or was this just an example of the principle you're getting at? I'm just curious.
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 11:16 AM
In fact I want to make a 3 tiles table from a 2 tiles table because I want to be able to change 2 textures of the mesh, and with the glass table we can change just one.
I have 3 tiles table from the store that would be perfect be I don't know how to clone them :s.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#15 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 11:30 AM
So what we're really missing is the knowledge of how to add a mesh part that can be glass. That would have been a more direct way of acheiving this project. We could do that in sims2, so eventually we'll find a way in sims3, it is hoped.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 11:26 AM
There is a lot a things that we don't know how to do with the Sims 3
Alchemist
#17 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 11:32 PM
Being able to add a new material group of whatever kind to an existing object would be a great help if it's possible to achieve that someday.

For the issue you're mentioning Jim I've been inquiring of HL in this forum about changing the glass group on the three tile table to a standard group and how that might be achieved. It's really unfortunate that EA only gave us a single three tile dining table to work with isn't it?

I've thought of just changing the three tile glass slider to the phong slider but, if that worked at all, that would most likely simply throw the glass group onto the same IMG's the wood group uses and since the mask one is all red that wouldn't give you two recolorable parts I don't think. I don't think you could just recolor part of that one to green to fix that problem. Not much of a solution there I guess if you're looking to make a dining table with two recolorable parts and a three tile sunshadow in-game.