Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Apr 2016 at 5:26 PM
Default Hair Layering In Mlikshape
Haloo!

I would LOVE to thank @spladoum for the help on how hair layering works:
''To answer your question: if you change the selection tool to "select by face," and select all the faces in alpha layer 3, you can then duplicate that group of faces with Ctrl+D and rename your new group "alpha layer 5," etc.''

Now the question I have is that does this mean that by simply renaming a group ''hair_alpha3'' it will become that? And even if the plane is facing another way it would show the other way?

I'm not making much sense hehe... I don't quite know how to explain it...

What I mean is that when you place a plane (For hair)... You know how it will show on just ONE angle? Well let's say that a hair_apha5... If I simply make it a ''hair_alpha3'', would it instead show through the OTHER side? (The inside), even if it doesn't look it?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Apr 2016 at 6:42 PM
Renaming a group will make it whatever you call it, yes. But it won't change anything about the group itself (unless you rename it to be a fat morph... but that doesn't apply to hair, obviously).

The second part of your question... if you want hair to show on the other side, you need to reverse the faces. Select that group. In the Faces menu, choose Reverse Vertex Order. Then use a normal tool (there are a couple... I like Cat's Normal Smoother for this) to smooth out the normals.

You also need to change the opacity of the group. That's how the game knows what layer to put on the inside and what layer to put on the outside. You're working from the inside out, so the layer closest to the head would have the lowest number. Then each layer, working outwards, would have a higher number. (If you look at some existing hair meshes, you can see this. Often, hair_alpha3 will have an opacity of 3, hair_alpha5 will have an opacity of 5, etc. You don't need to do it like this; you just need to make sure that the outermost layers have higher numbers.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Apr 2016 at 9:12 PM Last edited by AuzzPanda : 10th Jul 2016 at 4:01 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
Renaming a group will make it whatever you call it, yes. But it won't change anything about the group itself (unless you rename it to be a fat morph... but that doesn't apply to hair, obviously).

The second part of your question... if you want hair to show on the other side, you need to reverse the faces. Select that group. In the Faces menu, choose Reverse Vertex Order. Then use a normal tool (there are a couple... I like Cat's Normal Smoother for this) to smooth out the normals.

You also need to change the opacity of the group. That's how the game knows what layer to put on the inside and what layer to put on the outside. You're working from the inside out, so the layer closest to the head would have the lowest number. Then each layer, working outwards, would have a higher number. (If you look at some existing hair meshes, you can see this. Often, hair_alpha3 will have an opacity of 3, hair_alpha5 will have an opacity of 5, etc. You don't need to do it like this; you just need to make sure that the outermost layers have higher numbers.)

I simply can not express my everlasting gratitude to your beautiful soul
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Apr 2016 at 9:15 PM
Oh also, where can I find ''Cat's Normal Smoother''?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Apr 2016 at 9:20 PM
Okay I searched it up.

But then another question enters my mind... So this will do it for front and back, but what about the sides? Would I have to make a new plane, make it fit the mesh, and then repeat that process to make it the same on the other side?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Apr 2016 at 9:24 PM Last edited by AuzzPanda : 10th Jul 2016 at 4:02 AM.
For anyone wondering, this would seems to be the Plugin:

http://modthesims.info/t/301473

Although I'm not too sure what it does very well... Is it so that it will not ruin the texture or the mesh itself?

Well anyways thanks Fakepeeps7 so so SO much for all your help!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 16th Apr 2016 at 10:16 PM
It's not about front and back. It's about inside and outside. On the outermost layer, you want the grey side facing out, because that's where the texture is going to be (the black part will be facing inward, and it doesn't display a texture). On the inner layer, you want the grey side to be facing in and the black side facing out.

The plugin smooths everything out. When you do Reverse Vertex Order, your vertices get flipped from inside to outside (or vice versa)... but the normals will be all screwed up (you'll end up with what looks like a bunch of triangles everywhere). Once you use the plugin, you should have a nice, clean surface again.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Apr 2016 at 2:47 PM Last edited by AuzzPanda : 10th Jul 2016 at 4:02 AM.
Oh thats what I meant sorry I'm still new to the meshing language

Okay. Thanks