Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#51 Old 13th May 2006 at 12:04 PM
It works
Thanks Numenor :D

Unauthorized incoming post!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 15th Sep 2006 at 11:09 PM Last edited by T4noc4po : 16th Sep 2006 at 6:59 AM.
Hi Numenor!!

Sorry, but i need your help. I'm trying to clone a painting. What i want is a new painting not a recolour (new enviroment points, new price, new description) Where can i find a tutorial for this?? Is this tutorial helpful??(SimPe Handbook: Cloning and Recolouring options).
What i'm doing is cloning a Maxis painting. I rename it, but i don't know what to change to have a whole new paint.

Thnx in adv.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#53 Old 16th Sep 2006 at 12:18 AM
The "Start to finish Object Creation Tutorial" is probably what you need: it explain how to clone an object and then modify its mesh, so to have a different object.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#54 Old 16th Sep 2006 at 6:42 AM
Grazie tante
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 11:56 PM
Hi,

I tried to clone the good witch community counter to us it on the residential lots. So far so good, but now I can't recolor any other Maxi objects.

I become no texture images in the plug view and can't import the new textures.

Somehow it ask for the parent object

I removed the clone from the game, but still SimPE workshop can not create a propper file for recolering.

Love dosen't make the world go 'round. Love is what makes the ride worthwile. - Franklin. P. Jones
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#56 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 8:40 AM
This counter can't work, for many reasons:

1) It's a commercial counter, and therefore it lacks the many different meshes that are needed for a counter to work in a residential lot (meshes to be used with the sink, for example, or with an appliance mounter under it).
2) You cloned it using the "make stand-alone" option: this option should be used carefully, because it breaks the link between different objects. The counters need to be linked internally, one mesh to the other, in order to share the same recolours. The "stand-alone" option also sometimes "confuses" Object Workshop, when creating recolours.

Since cloning counters is difficult, and SimPE doesn't perform this task very well, I've created a "cloning template" for the kitchen counter: LINK.
Clone it, following the instructions provided.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#57 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 12:27 PM
Thanks for the tips with the counters Numenor.

I thought cloning is so easy and I loved this particular counter.

Love dosen't make the world go 'round. Love is what makes the ride worthwile. - Franklin. P. Jones
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 11:15 AM
Hi Numenor, You start this tread with "always download the latest SimPE" and I always did untill now and this is where I hope you can help me

If I want to use the new version of SimPE I have to use the .Net framework 2.0 and to be able to use .Net framework 2.0 I have to download Windows XP service pack 2. I have heard so many problems about installing service pack 2 that I'm really scared to install it. So what should I do. I feel really lost about this. I do have a feeling SimPE is not handling my recolors as it used to, so if you have any suggestions please let me know. I have pets installed and I use SimPE version 0.58b.

Thanks in advance
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#59 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 3:06 PM
I installed SP2 for WinXp as soon as it was released, and the .Net2, too. I had no problem whatsoever.

Of course, most depends oon what applications you have installed on your system etc...
But if you are going to use SimPE regularly, you can't avoid upgrading your system, I'm afraid.

Lab Assistant
#60 Old 9th Dec 2006 at 10:54 AM Last edited by The Sorceress : 9th Dec 2006 at 11:00 AM. Reason: forgot something
Thank you for your quick reply Numenor, Maybe a dumb question but what do you mean by applications.

Thanks again
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#61 Old 9th Dec 2006 at 11:28 AM
Programs, software, utilities, anything that runs under the Window operating system...

Lab Assistant
#62 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 9:16 AM
Thanks Numenor, I think I'm going to uninstall pets first so I can keep on creating for my group first now it is Xmas time I look into it deeper in January. Thank you for you help. I really appreciate it very much.
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 16th Apr 2007 at 10:47 PM
Thanks, Numenor. I have a question: I want to recolor a wallpaper... where can I find that in the list when I go to recolor it? I only see "Appliances," Aspiration Awards," "Career Awards," "Decorative," "Electronics," "General," "Hobbies," "Lighting," "Other," "Plumbing," "Seating," "Surfaces," and "Unknown." I skimmed through all of these, but found no walls and floors. Is it possible to recolor things this way?
Sorry, I'm new to this. ;P

- Lauren
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#64 Old 17th Apr 2007 at 12:33 AM
The best way to recolour a wallpaper is using HomeCrafter. SimPE supports the wallpapers, but you should only use it for specific tweaks to wallpapers that are not supported by HomeCrafter.
Anyway, in order to see the wallpapers in the object list, you must put SimPE in "Advanced Mode": there is a checkbox in Extra -> Preferences -> SimPE Settings.

Lab Assistant
#65 Old 17th Apr 2007 at 7:03 AM
Alright, I'll get HomeCrafter and try that. Thank you!
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 26th Aug 2007 at 9:26 AM
Hi can someone please help,
I have created my own mesh, and I want to do a recolour of of it,
so I go in to the objectworkshop and click open, and load my obj file, but it comes up with error message "unhandled exception has occured in your application" and it also says "ystem.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown".,
now I have done a clean install of SimPE I also reinstaleld .net frame work.
I am running the lastest version of simpe. and i keep getting the same error all the time.
please help, i did try at SimPE to contact them but the page kept coming up with errors.
Field Researcher
#67 Old 26th Aug 2007 at 10:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rosaline_10
so I go in to the objectworkshop and click open, and load my obj file

Your obj file ?
No, you can't open obj file with Simpe: you can import obj file into a package file.
You must create a clone for your new mesh, a whole complete file that also have the texture.
The "Start to finish Object Creation Tutorial" is probably what you need: it explain how to clone an object and then modify its mesh, so to have a different object.
When you'll get your new mesh working, you can create some new recolours following this tutorial.
"Recolouring Objects with OBJECT WORKSHOP"

If you like my creations, you may consider to make a little donation to support my site and my modding activity.
MaryLou's Sims 2 World - MaryLou Sims 2 Forum (Italiano)
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 26th Aug 2007 at 11:54 AM
thank you marylou, ok i understand now, sorry but the tutorial I have been following did not state that it shuold be a package file.
but
I have done the :"start to finish object creationtutorial" a number of times with different objects, and they all work fine.
but what I want to do, is, I have a vase, and its my own mesh, and I want to do a recolour for it, I go to the objectworkshop, I click open, i find my package file, and then i save, and then its ment to bring up a window with a "subset selection" i believe this is where I select the colours I want to recolour. but when i try do this with any of my meshs, it does not work. it just comes up as a empty package file.
what am i doing wrong?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#69 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 11:25 PM
If you created the vase by cloning a non-recolourable Maxis object, then your vase is not recolourable.
Most of the vases need the CEP in order to be recolourable: you have to install the CEP before cloning the vase; be sure also to activate the CEP in the SimPE file table (go to Extra -> Preferences -> File Table and check the "CEP" option).

Once you have cloned the Maxis vase with the CEP active, your clone will be recolourable.

One last note: the "Subset Selection" window opens up only if the object has multiple recolourable subsets; if it has only one subset (most vases have only one subset), there is no Subset Selection: SimPE directly creates the recolour package.

Lab Assistant
#70 Old 3rd Sep 2007 at 9:47 AM
I do have CEP checked,
it must be because it has only one subset, thanks heaps
Test Subject
#71 Old 23rd Sep 2007 at 9:05 PM
I have a question and I will be gratefull if anybody can help me...can I extract Maxis objects with SimPE and how do I do it?

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return"
Field Researcher
#72 Old 24th Sep 2007 at 10:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by djfreek80
I have a question and I will be gratefull if anybody can help me...can I extract Maxis objects with SimPE and how do I do it?

Yes, of course, you can. The best way is to follow this tutorial
Sims 2 start to finish Object Creation Tutoria

In a few words to extract objects, you should make a clone of them.

If you like my creations, you may consider to make a little donation to support my site and my modding activity.
MaryLou's Sims 2 World - MaryLou Sims 2 Forum (Italiano)
Test Subject
#73 Old 18th Nov 2007 at 12:40 AM
how do you mesh them
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 4:27 PM
Hi there
Sorry for digging up this OLD thread, but its the nearest I can find to what I want to know.

Im fine with recolouring objects with SimPE, but having hassles with cloning? I dont intend to create custom meshes, I just want a separate object in the catalog for certain items. Especially since not all objects seem to be recolourable without replacing the original (in the catalog).
Im talking specifically about some items from the IKEA stuff pack and the Giant TV from apartment life. Whenever I clone those, using whatever options in the cloning menu in SimPe, I can add custom textures, prices and descriptions, but at the loss of the original object.

I realize that these new objects probably have the same DNA as the originals, and so the game picks them up "instead of" rather than "with" the real objects. Is there any (novice) way for me to separate the two?

Thanks for any help.

Always accept free coffee
Test Subject
#75 Old 26th Apr 2009 at 7:44 PM
I also apologize for posting in this old thread but its the only place I can find exactly what I'm looking for: a step-by-step guide to cloning objects. When cloning cars there's a way to change the position of where the sims sit and where the doors open right? So that the outline of the cloned car's doors doesn't cut out a spot in the new car for the door to open.

As I said earlier this is the only tutorial where I can find exactly what I want, but I request that you put a version of your tutorial on the internet as an html (doesn't matter where as long as the site can be found easily) because I can't download from MTS2 because of no cookies found, and even if I could download, I really don't like putting lots of things on my computer that I won't likely use more than a few times (I wouldn't use the tutorial after I get familiar with cloning). Thank you so much and I hope you'll put an html tutorial!

My signature that won't show up as an image but only as a url:
http://i26.tinypic.com/8wk5n5.png
Page 3 of 4