Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#26 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
Out of curiosity... how does the launcher handle that much store content? I do have a quite a lot of stuff from the store but probably not even half of what they offer. Many say they own everything but I've always wondered wheather the laucher still runs fine or call it quits.
I've always deleted the DCBackup files and I've always thought that you can't use them to keep your stuff safe. At least at Nraas site (user folders explained page) doesn't say anything about them being useful, except for the ccmerge.package file. I could be wrong, though, since I've never actually tested it. And I haven't seen any point of saving them because you get them again when reintalling the sims3packs, anyway.

Hi varpunen: HA! The Launcher is the Launcher and pretty much does what it wants. I do not use it to load my game. I have 18 .ebc files (Store Content) and 24 .dbc (3rd party CC and content from custom houses, lots etc.) files in my DCCache folder. Around 15G in total. I do not save those DCBackup files as it has always been my understanding that those were not for the purpose of reinstalling. They are needed by people creating lots, houses, sims, etc. for exporting out. The ccmerge.package needs to be in there for store content.

Those .tmp files in there should be removed anytime the Launcher has been opened. Those files load into RAM so it's a good idea to delete them after closing the Launcher.

Managing the Launcher is a real PITA. I found it is easier to install items when in game. Uninstalling, especially a large number of files is impossible unless you go through one .dbc or .ebc file at a time. I believe S3PE can be used to clean out the .dbc files but never tried that. I've got that down to a science now so don't really mind it all that much. Just need to be in a cleaning mood and/or procrastinating something I should be doing in RL :D
Advertisement
Alchemist
#27 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by barbarat
Hi varpunen: HA! The Launcher is the Launcher and pretty much does what it wants. I do not use it to load my game. I have 18 .ebc files (Store Content) and 24 .dbc (3rd party CC and content from custom houses, lots etc.) files in my DCCache folder. Around 15G in total. I do not save those DCBackup files as it has always been my understanding that those were not for the purpose of reinstalling. They are needed by people creating lots, houses, sims, etc. for exporting out. The ccmerge.package needs to be in there for store content.

Those .tmp files in there should be removed anytime the Launcher has been opened. Those files load into RAM so it's a good idea to delete them after closing the Launcher.

Managing the Launcher is a real PITA. I found it is easier to install items when in game. Uninstalling, especially a large number of files is impossible unless you go through one .dbc or .ebc file at a time. I believe S3PE can be used to clean out the .dbc files but never tried that. I've got that down to a science now so don't really mind it all that much. Just need to be in a cleaning mood and/or procrastinating something I should be doing in RL :D

Yeah, I don't use the launcher to load the game, either. Using the shortcut is the way to go. 15G? Wow. Okay, I had to check and my DCCache folder shows up as 5,1G. I guess nothing to worry about yet. Actually I worry more about the size of my Mods folder but that's due to me being such a CC addict.
Scholar
#28 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 1:37 AM

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#29 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 3:39 AM
@ElaineNualla - LOL! That "review" also brought about one of the best YouTube comments I've ever seen. "I feel like this is what someone on acid hears whenever they have a conversation with someone who isn't on acid."

(goes back to playing with his Sims 38 chairs and diving boards)
Site Helper
#30 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 5:34 PM
If you can live with either not knowing what the heck this thing with a name like a bowl of alphabet soup is, or with spending a bit of time and effort on each file to find out what it is, you can stick DCBackup files in Packages and they will be read as a package. (And yes, I know it's Hexadecimal. I call it alphabet soup because I'm less likely to be tempted to try pronouncing it if I call it soup.)

If you create a sims3pack of a lot or a sim with CC from Sims3packs, the files in DCBackup are what is used to package the CC with it.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Alchemist
#31 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 6:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
If you can live with either not knowing what the heck this thing with a name like a bowl of alphabet soup is, or with spending a bit of time and effort on each file to find out what it is, you can stick DCBackup files in Packages and they will be read as a package. (And yes, I know it's Hexadecimal. I call it alphabet soup because I'm less likely to be tempted to try pronouncing it if I call it soup.)

If you create a sims3pack of a lot or a sim with CC from Sims3packs, the files in DCBackup are what is used to package the CC with it.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I delete those files. But good to know that they are also read as package files, if the need to use them ever rises (which in my case is highly unlikely). Also, I could never stand unknown/unnamed files. It would drive me nuts. :D
Page 2 of 2