Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2016 at 11:32 PM
Why are genetics so weird?
How on Earth do TS3 genetics actually work? I know TS3 has a much simpler way of handling genetics than TS2, there are no dominant/recessive traits, just mixing. However, I've tried a huge legacy for the first time, and my kids seem to always inherit the same traits! I'll do my best to explain:

A and B were my first Sims. A has blond hair and light blue eyes, B has red hair (verging on strawberry blond) and pale green eyes. They have had five kids so far. Four of them are blond, one got mutated brown hair. Four have blue eyes, one has green eyes.

Two of the blond kids have had children of their own. One got mutated brown hair (ugh, these high mutation chances are really annoying), one is blond, one is still a baby so I can't tell which hair color it has. All of them are blue eyed.

Practically everyone keeps getting blond hair (aside from the two mutated browns) and blue eyes is extremely dominant. Why aren't any of my kids getting red hair, and why are hardly any of them getting green eyes? I must say it's a bit concerning when two kids got hair colors that weren't even in their family, while the gene for red hair has still not been passed on! Is there any reason behind this, or is it just random chance playing a trick on me?

English is not my native language, please forgive (and/or politely correct) any grammatical errors!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#3 Old 29th Mar 2016 at 9:26 AM
Firstly, how do you not have the No Mutant Hair or Eyes mod? It's so vital to stop that awful greenish hair especially! http://modthesims.info/download.php...25#startcomment

And so, SO very sadly, EA abandoned Mendelian genetics due to the need to pass down hairs and eyes that were colored using the wheel. This means there's no straight up dominant or recessive genes. They most likely could have figured something better out, but they didn't, SO we're left with our sims inheriting hair and eye color from only parents and grandparents. (aside from that stupid mutation) Sometimes, people think the hairs combine, but it's merely because the hairstyle itself makes the hair appear a different shade. Ultimately, I LOVE having the color wheel, so I'd rather it's like this than being forced to have EA's colors.

Something you should consider with genetics is to make your sims different. (you probably do, but I'm just adding the tip) So many people choose the prettier presets and just make small adjustments to them and then wonder why all their sims look the same, especially after a few generations. Use those sliders and get more if you can. Mix it up and you'll have better success with different looking sims. Sure, some kids just won't be purty, but you'll still get some that are. Most importantly, you'll have VARIETY.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Mar 2016 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Is this actually true? Because I notice, and it is quite obvious in my game, that blonde hair is a dominant gene.

I don't know about that. I have a couple--father has black hair and mother blond--and all five kids have black hair. Well, one had brown hair and her twin sister wound up with brown eyes (father has gray, mother green). Meh. I just change the little tykes' features to black hair, gray eyes.

Since genetics seems to be pretty much do-it-yourself...that's one thing I love about TS2, genetics!

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Scholar
#5 Old 30th Mar 2016 at 7:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Is this actually true? Because I notice, and it is quite obvious in my game, that blonde hair is a dominant gene.

only with connection with dark complexion

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 30th Mar 2016 at 7:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonas3333
Something you should consider with genetics is to make your sims different. (you probably do, but I'm just adding the tip) So many people choose the prettier presets and just make small adjustments to them and then wonder why all their sims look the same, especially after a few generations. Use those sliders and get more if you can. Mix it up and you'll have better success with different looking sims. Sure, some kids just won't be purty, but you'll still get some that are. Most importantly, you'll have VARIETY.

This is probably the most important bit of advice on this thread, but I'm chiming in to say that if you have your Sims partner with a lot of townies, you've probably noticed those townies all have the same infamous "pudding face" we've all come to know and hate. There's a way to remedy this using a combination of Awesomemod and NRaas features, though. If you haven't already, you can also use slider multipliers (Awesomemod has one IIRC, plus Master Controller has this feature) to help make features more distinctive. 2 or 3 is usually a good multiple to set to; anything else and your Sims can get... well...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Mar 2016 at 10:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonas3333
Firstly, how do you not have the No Mutant Hair or Eyes mod? It's so vital to stop that awful greenish hair especially! http://modthesims.info/download.php...25#startcomment

And so, SO very sadly, EA abandoned Mendelian genetics due to the need to pass down hairs and eyes that were colored using the wheel. This means there's no straight up dominant or recessive genes. They most likely could have figured something better out, but they didn't, SO we're left with our sims inheriting hair and eye color from only parents and grandparents. (aside from that stupid mutation) Sometimes, people think the hairs combine, but it's merely because the hairstyle itself makes the hair appear a different shade. Ultimately, I LOVE having the color wheel, so I'd rather it's like this than being forced to have EA's colors.

I read about the No Mutant-mod a while ago, but I've been unsure about whether or not to get it, especially for this "legacy" in particular since I thought mutations might be an interesting addition to the genepool. However, I might consider getting it soon, since the brown mutated hair is so hideous.

As for the features, I don't mind them too much. All that really bothers me in this generation legacy I'm doing is that they're all getting the same hair color, which just doesn't make sense. I read somewhere that the game sometimes just makes a copy of one parent and switches the gender (don't know if that happens or how often it would happen) but obviously that's not it since I've had kids of both sexes, but mostly boys - and the mother is the redhead so if the copy-switch thing was happening then all the boys would be redheads too.

English is not my native language, please forgive (and/or politely correct) any grammatical errors!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 31st Mar 2016 at 11:16 AM
If you want something new about the hair colour maybe you could try Consort Hair Color Mod. I'm not sure if it is taxing for the game, but I've used this for a long time and had no problem with it. Also, it doesn't say if it's compatible with 1.67 but I'm on that and I don't have any problem with the mod.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 31st Mar 2016 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kimikobristen
If you want something new about the hair colour maybe you could try Consort Hair Color Mod. I'm not sure if it is taxing for the game, but I've used this for a long time and had no problem with it. Also, it doesn't say if it's compatible with 1.67 but I'm on that and I don't have any problem with the mod.

For those who haven't seen Consort's mod description,
"Funfact: There are 79,228,162,514,264,337,593,543,950,336 possible hair colors. And that's just the scalp hair of one Sim."

Has anyone tried them all yet?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 1:48 PM
Who's got time to do 79 nonillion colors? LOL

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Mad Poster
#12 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 2:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
Who's got time to do 79 nonillion colors? LOL

Well, no one of course. That would be silly. Thankfully, there are only 79 octillion of them (using the US/modern UK numbering system). Does that help streamline things?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 2nd Apr 2016 at 3:24 AM
That's right, UK uses million while we use billion.

Who is Q? qanon.pub