Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Nov 2006 at 8:18 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Prosperous Perch Sofa not right after Pets Install
I am not sure if this is in the right place or not, but since it is a Glamour Life Object, I thought I'd put it here. Ok...

Since I have installed Pets, this Prosperous Perch Sofa will no longer come together and make a sectional. I noticed it after installing Pets, so I am not sure if this is coincidence or something in Pets doing it. I did try and remove all of my Downloads, and even have pulled everything out of the Sims 2 Folder and resetting it all to scratch, that didn't work either.

Do any of you know or have you heard of this happening before? If so, is there a fix for it? The other sectionals work in the game, just not this one. That's why I am puzzled about this one.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Nov 2006 at 1:45 PM
Did you try all of the suggestions in this thread:
http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=139718
Including checking that your patches are up to date?
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#3 Old 16th Nov 2006 at 4:26 PM
The sectional sofa by Meshkiste ( this one http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=182893) caused my sectional sofas to no longer come together properly after I installed GL. They updated their sofa immediately though so if you've got it try downloading the update from their site. They've got another modular sofa as well, but I don't know if it ever caused a problem.

Also just the other day I had a problem with the NL sectional sofa and discovered I'd placed a table behind the sofa just a little bit too close to it which tweaked it out. Whish I'd discovered it was something so simple before I went through my entire downloads folder!

Anyway, that's what happened to me. Hope this helps.

"Evil genius is still genius." Asura NPC GW2
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Nov 2006 at 6:00 PM
simsample, yes I did all of that. I had some problems with a door awhile back and you guys taught me how to do all of that so I did it here too. It is a downloaded file I THINK, just can't figure out which one it is and I thought maybe you guys would have heard of this problem before.

Jlonier, I think that is the only sectional I DO NOT have in my game...... but it gives me a bit to go on, maybe someone else made a sectional that might cause a similar thing. I am going to see if I can find them all and remove them and see if this works and I can figure out which one is doing it, if any. Thank you, that helps more than anything I have tried so far.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 16th Nov 2006 at 9:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SoulStripper
simsample, yes I did all of that. It is a downloaded file I THINK, just can't figure out which one it is...

Quote: Originally posted by SoulStripper
I did try and remove all of my Downloads, and even have pulled everything out of the Sims 2 Folder and resetting it all to scratch, that didn't work either.

Well, these statements cannot all be true- you say you tried what I recommended, which was to run through the FAQ I linked to, and yet you also say you think this is to do with some custom content... The solution is very easy. Remove the sims 2 folder from your documents folder. If the game works then you know this is caused by the user files. If it doesn't, you know it is a game issue. You have to do things methodically or you are just really wasting your time! Follow this through exactly:
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Nov 2006 at 9:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Well, these statements cannot all be true- you say you tried what I recommended, which was to run through the FAQ I linked to, and yet you also say you think this is to do with some custom content... The solution is very easy. Remove the sims 2 folder from your documents folder. If the game works then you know this is caused by the user files. If it doesn't, you know it is a game issue. You have to do things methodically or you are just really wasting your time! Follow this through exactly:

I am sorry, I mispoke, I DID try that and the sectional still didn't work. I FIRST thought it was a downloaded file, but it was not..... I am sorry, it was very early and I had been up all night when I made that post.

Ok, here is what I did.... last week my game crashed, I had to reinstall everything from the ground up, from Sims 2 all the way to Sims 2 Pets, I have all of the EPs, addons and everything for the game. I ran the game, it started up, I set all of my settings, the graphics and all of that. Went into a house and this Sofa would NOT make a sectional as it used to BEFORE Pets.

I then put my downloads into the game, ran it and a few other things were going nuts, so I have been thru my downloads folder over and over again and then pulled them ALL out again... still nothing. What I meant to say was that I have a few downloads in my game that ARE causing plenty of other problems, but it isn't causing THIS one.

The download that was talked about here by Jlonier, I did not and do not have in my game, I don't have any Meshkiste content in my game, what I MEANT to say was that I would try and see if this could be something to do with possibly another sectional, so I removed every sectional I could find that didn't come with the game, and that didn't work either.

Like I said, I apologize for mispeaking, it was very early and I had had no sleep, and I realized that when I re-read my post. lol
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 16th Nov 2006 at 10:43 PM
So if you now remove the Sims 2 folder from the My documents/ EA Games folder and run the game, do you have the same problem?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Nov 2006 at 10:53 PM
So if you now remove the Sims 2 folder from the My documents/ EA Games folder and run the game, do you have the same problem?

Yes I do.. the only thing I have not tried at this point is to reinstall everything up TO Pets to see if that is the problem.... basically I am just curious if this is a Pets bug, if anyone else has this problem or something else causing it.

And yes, I am sorry I didn't answer you about the patches, those are all up to date as well.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 16th Nov 2006 at 10:59 PM
Okay, that's good. So you don't need to look for any custom content problems- since we've ruled that out. Next step I'd recommend is to try replacing the objects.package file; also try the objects0x files in the TSData/ Res/ 3D folder.
http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=134921
Instructor
#10 Old 17th Nov 2006 at 3:42 PM
I have both Pets and Glamour Life and I haven't noticed any prolem with the Glamour sofa. But tonight I could try and tell you what happens. And sometimes bugs like these occur for no reason. Did you access BodyShop with the wrong disc like I did?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Nov 2006 at 7:01 PM
Okay, that's good. So you don't need to look for any custom content problems- since we've ruled that out. Next step I'd recommend is to try replacing the objects.package file; also try the objects0x files in the TSData/ Res/ 3D folder.
http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=134921

Ok I'll try this and see what happens with it. The last time I tried this, I had the Glamour Pack as a download and wasn't able to do that, so obviously it didn't work. This time I have an actual disk, I'll not do that download thing again. lol

psychosimmer, that would be great, then I could at least narrow down if it is JUST me or not. I don't seem to have the typical bugs ever, mine like to make them up as they go along. lol
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 19th Nov 2006 at 3:05 AM Last edited by SoulStripper : 19th Nov 2006 at 3:18 AM.
Ok, simsample, I have completely and 100% ruled out the custom content folder as being an issue. I have removed everything in my downloads in steps, taking out and adding back to see if I can find it, so that's 100% NOT an issue.

Ok, NOW.... I read the thread where you say to redo my Objects Files, the one in the TSDATA folder, I see like 10 Objects files in this folder, but I have NO clue where to get the originals from to replace them. I have Pets as my last installed EP, so will I get this from that disk? If so, where? I have looked and I don't seem to find those files anywhere. This may sound a little silly, but I looked on both disks and unless I am missing something, I don't see it anywhere on this disk, am I missing something? This thread you sent me too only goes as far as to Glamour not, Pets.

I don't mean to seem like a newbie twit, but I am lost here on this one. lol

Edited to add: I found those files, so I am working on this one now to see if this is workable. If not then I just have a buncha chairs because I have nothing else to try on this. lol
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Nov 2006 at 8:41 AM
Ok the following is what I have done, this is very strange..

Renamed Sims 2 Folder - couldn't recreate the error
Downloads folder - tested every download, including removing half, and then all downloads, didn't fix the error
Deleted Neighborhoods Folder - didn't fix the error
Deleted Config Folder - came back up and it worked fine...... UNTIL I added my downloads back in the game and then it stopped working again.

How does this happen? WITH the redo of the config folder without the downloads it works fine, but after testing the downloads folder, it didn't change...... BUT taking out the config, redoing it, and THEN adding back in my downloads folder it broke it again. HOW does this happen? lol
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#14 Old 19th Nov 2006 at 9:55 AM
I had a thought... the other day I was mucking about in my downloads folder when I noticed my config file had a little plus sign next to it which it shouldn't have. I expanded the file and found the last time I was looking for a download that was causing a problem for me I had indavertantly put a folder under config instead of my downloads folder. The odd thing is those objects were still showing up in my game. It might be worth checking one up and one down from your downloads folder to see if you've got a stray file in there. Those custom sectional sofa's (at least the one I've got does) come with a global file that is required to make it sectional. Maybe one of the ones you've got became separated from the others and put into a folder other than your downloads?

Just a thought.

"Evil genius is still genius." Asura NPC GW2
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Nov 2006 at 8:46 PM
Yeah something is going on with something in my downloads folder that is causing my config file to be altered and I am having a world of trouble finding out what it is. lol

I am extremely picky about where I download things and what I put in that folder, and I have everything divided up according to the site I get them from, like pimpmysims stuff is in a pimpmysims folder and so on and so forth. The only thing that is interfering with this is the homes, sims and TSR stuff I download, I can't seem to control where that all goes and it just flops into the downloads folder so I can't control that, if there is a way, I have yet to figure it out. But I do this for this very reason, so I can corner any issues that arise...... and figure out which site I get the things from.

I had a sneaky feeling that it might be something in that downloads folder, even though it wasn't fixing itself by just removing it by itself, I have to delete the config folder and then quarantine folder by folder on my downloads to find anything. Theonly problem is now that I have narrowed it down right to the direct downloads folder, but there are like 4000 items in there. YIKES!!

I just went a little nuts and deleted everything that wasn't in a subfolder and am starting all over with that. As I download things, I let it go to the downloads folder and then go back in and drop it where I want it. THIS way, maybe I can find the file easier from now on when I have issues.

I'll find it, if I have to delete one file at a time and get it. I hate imperfections in my Sims Game... they deserve so much better than that. LMAO
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 20th Nov 2006 at 4:39 AM
Hi guys, you can close this out now, I think I found the issue. It is something to do with a pimpmysims download, that much I have narrowed down..... whatever it is, and it won't be too hard to find it, it is writing to my config file so even deleting the content wasn't working. BUT I did corner it to that one folder so I have a better grip on this issue now.

Thank you so much to you JLonier and simsample for all of your help. You have both been instrumental and I appreciate you both so much.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 20th Nov 2006 at 4:49 PM
Well, I'm glad you got it sorted out (thanks to Jen!)
Nice work.
Locked thread | Locked by: simsample Reason: Solved