Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 6:55 PM Last edited by theAman : 6th Aug 2015 at 7:14 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Sims 3 All Expansions Incredibly Laggy with little CC
So I just got back into playing the game and re-installed everything on my new laptop (ROG g750JX) and the first thing I notice is how long it takes me to start a new game. Loading Bridgeport for a new game took at least 20 min, then between each menu in CAS there was at least a 20 sec wait time. In game things weren't much better. Upon arriving at the lot I chose, I was greeted with around 4fps. I ran Overwatch which managed to fix what was broken and upped my fps back into the playable range, but I still get random lag spikes that last for minutes at a time. When saving or loading there is also a tremendous wait.
Last time I played this game it was on a $400 computer I built in 2009 and it ran flawlessly, now that I'm playing it on a high end computer i can barely play it. Any suggestions as to how to improve the game's performance?

Only (currently) have NRaas Master controller, Story Progression, Woohooer, and Overwatch, but this was happening on first load with no mods too

i7, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, gtx 770m don't meet minimum specs? :p

"Hence why I stay the hell away from bicycles"
-justin1010
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 8:14 PM
You may also want to grab Nraas errortrap. With all the EP's and Sp's, the load time is a lot longer than with just base game. Nraas story progression will cause more lag as it's trying to push sims to do various things and depending on how many modules you have in of it, you might experience more. In story progression options, you might want to set the speed to slow or snail. Nraas>storyprogression>general options>adjust speed. Lets you adjust the cycle speeds of certain managers up and down with one simple option. Nraas register will help with role sims and can cut down on stray animals spawned by the game (such as horses that cause lag). Bridgeport and isla paradiso are probably the most laggy towns, even with a perfect mod setup.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 8:36 PM
Try a utility such as RivaTuner Statistics Server to limit your frame rates (with RTSS you can do this globally or on a per program basis), this smoothed the game greatly on my system.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by veiledstar
You may also want to grab Nraas errortrap. With all the EP's and Sp's, the load time is a lot longer than with just base game. Nraas story progression will cause more lag as it's trying to push sims to do various things and depending on how many modules you have in of it, you might experience more. In story progression options, you might want to set the speed to slow or snail. Nraas>storyprogression>general options>adjust speed. Lets you adjust the cycle speeds of certain managers up and down with one simple option. Nraas register will help with role sims and can cut down on stray animals spawned by the game (such as horses that cause lag). Bridgeport and isla paradiso are probably the most laggy towns, even with a perfect mod setup.

I forgot to mention having error trap, I'll try setting the story progression to a slower setting and downloading register.
Quote: Originally posted by nimrod2
Try a utility such as RivaTuner Statistics Server to limit your frame rates (with RTSS you can do this globally or on a per program basis), this smoothed the game greatly on my system.

I changed some things with nVidia inspector and limited frame rate to 60, it's not perfect but it keeps it from skyrocketing to 250.

I might end up just uninstalling some of the expansions, University crashed within minutes of me going there.

-justin1010
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#5 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 9:18 PM
That's unusually long loading times.
In that case I'd also check the startup process with Process Monitor to see whether the game is choking on some file that should not be in your folders. There are instruction on how to do this somewhere here in the help wiki: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...ackage_File_Lag

Edit: And as soon as nitromon pops into this thread, they'll probably ask you for your deviceconfig.log . Prepare to have that ready, too
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 3:22 AM
unless you want the options part too:
Code:
=== Application info ===
Name:            Sims3
Version:         
Build:           Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 4 GPU Memory: 1 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2394 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 2792 RAM: 16301 Adjusted RAM: 15789 Cores: 4
=== Machine info ===
OS version:      Windows 8  6.2.9200 
OS prod type:    0
OS major ver:    6
OS minor ver:    2
OS SP major ver: 0
OS SP minor ver: 0
OS is 64Bit: 	1
CPU:             GenuineIntel
    Brand:       Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
    Family:      6
    Model:       12
    Cores:       4
    HT:          1
    x64:         0
Memory:          16301MB
Free memory:     9110MB
User:            namAehT
Computer:        ZEUS
=== Graphics device info ===
Number:          0
Name (driver):   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M [Found: 0, Matched: 1]
Vendor:          NVIDIA
Chipset:         Vendor: 10de, Device: 11e0, Board: 213e1043, Chipset: 00a1
Driver:          nvd3dum.dll, Version: 10.18.13.5330, GUID: D7B71E3E-52A0-11CF-2167-33011CC2C735
Driver version:  5330
Monitor:         \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory:  32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
Vertex program:  3.0
Pixel program:   3.0
Hardware TnL:    1

-justin1010
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 5:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I don't know why it would affect your loading time, but your GPU is causing your in game lag.

I've seen tons of this on the 970, this is the first time I saw it on a 770. I think the quality 7 cards are just bugged.

Fixing TS3 GPU

Follow that post, except use the device # for your 770, which is 11e0

funny enough, i actually did add my card into the list before repatching the game because i had a problem like this before with an older ATI card where the game would literally not launch. I'll try the other stuff too and see how it goes.

-justin1010
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 6:35 AM
It doesn't seem to have had any effect on the performance of the game. It's still playable but it's not as nice to play

-justin1010
Test Subject
#12 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 7:31 AM
I have a GTX 860M on a win 8. The game didn't recognize my card so I had to fiddle around with the graphic card rules and such from the tutorials I read. But my texture memory still wasn't recognized so I found the tutorial by nitromon I think and fixed the memory for it. It actually helped smooth out my game but I had to lower the fps to 29 (the lowest) cause it kept dipping down to about 25 (even with vertical sync and triple buffering). But it helped me a lot because it was real laggy and stuttering bad. Things show up a bit clearer, too, now that I think about it.
Test Subject
#14 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 8:44 AM
I've never noticed if the fps dipped during season weather. But I haven't been playing my game for a good length of time these days.

HM, as for win 8... I haven't had too much trouble with it. I had a win 7 before this and my game was okay up until I started shoving eps down its throat. I just got my new laptop a few months ago and before I even installed Sims 3 I did notice a slight delay on my laptop. I'd be using PhotoShop and it felt like it was..I dunno stuttering or something. So I Google's and found this.

http://wind8apps.com/windows-8-impr...e-disable-apps/

Hope I don't get in trouble for posting that. I'm not sure if that was the exact tutorial I used but it sounds about right. I don't have background programs running and I also don't have internet but on my new laptop it did have one of those McAfee security trials going. I figured I wouldn't need it since I have no internet. And I've never gotten a virus o such before. So I disabled it and then uninstalled it.

Win 8 also comes with a lot of apps like on a phone. Didn't need those either so I disabled all of them.

My laptop ran smoother after that. Then I installed my game and its eps.

Not sure if that's the reason but that was my experience with win 8 and I haven't had trouble since.
Instructor
#16 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 2:34 PM Last edited by PapaEmy : 7th Aug 2015 at 2:46 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by theAman
i actually did add my card into the list before repatching the game

If you have re-patched the game after you added your card to the list, then it went back to its default list, your card is automatically removed from the list, you have to add it back again manually.

As for the lag, have you scan your DCBackup folder with Sims3Dasboard? Cause your CC may causing the lag if there's any conflict or duplicate or corrupt, I don't think it was because of your GTX770.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Aug 2015 at 5:16 PM
Did you fix the texture memory error as well?

The only other thing I can think of has to do with Win 8. But since I don't have Win 8, there's not much input I can give you other than what I've read elsewhere.

Other than that, from what I've observed, Nvidia quality 7 cards seem to be incompatible. Some people with the 970 said the texture memory fix helped a lot, while others recently still said it didn't. I can't remember if anyone running a quality 8 card has any issues.

I did fix the texture error too. It's strange that a game like this doesn't run well on my system, while it can run Mass Effect 3 with HD texture mods at 60fps.
And I don't really think it's hard drive related, since during the part of load time where it gets "stuck", my hard drive usage doesn't go above 10%. Plus, shouldn't it load all (or most) of the textures needed into the ram anyway when it's loading the save?

-justin1010
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 6:48 AM
It should only take 3-4 min from start up to finish loading a game. I'm loading a very old savefile after 20 generations and it takes me approx 4 mins. So for a new bridgeport... yeah it would be a little longer b/c it needs to create world files in the cache and save etc.. (I think, I may be wrong) but either way it shouldn't be more than 5-6 min top.

Are you sure it was really 20 mins? Or are you just exaggerating from frustration? If it really is 20 mins, there's something wrong. Perhaps reinstall the game?

ehh, it seems to have sped up a bit. Or maybe that's just because i get up and do things while it loads now, idk. Still lags in game, but I'm starting to learn to work around that.

-justin1010