Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#26 Old 26th Apr 2014 at 7:43 PM Last edited by Simlover7114 : 26th Apr 2014 at 8:55 PM.
Wow first roll and the kids do everything themselves, if only it was a weekend day. Maybe they'll get along....? Probably not...

Edit: Guess I was right... The next day I rolled and there was a fight, I probably shouldn't have said they might get along... Oops.

"900 years of time and space, and I have never met someone who wasn't important."
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 26th Apr 2014 at 9:01 PM
I love big families on the Sims 3, even with all the chaos that comes with them so I'll definitely give this one a shot! I really, really like this challenge, you should have posted it up when you thought of it
Field Researcher
#28 Old 26th Apr 2014 at 11:43 PM
I just wish my computer would work with mods so this challenge would be even more fun. But anyway even with only 6 children it's hectic, 5 have already been suspended from the roll. Also they have been fighting quite a bit... Accept on Father's Day, they actually DIDN'T fight that day!

"900 years of time and space, and I have never met someone who wasn't important."
Test Subject
#29 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 10:42 PM
I am going to try this! (But I think I will do less kids. Maybe 4 each? It would be to stressfull for me with 14) It's sounds like fun! I can't wait to go broke, and miss all the events that should happen.

And since I find having them go to church would be terribly hard (they would all run off!) I will just have them go out to eat, watch a movie, or visit an arcade. Just any kind of family event.
Test Subject
#30 Old 19th May 2014 at 8:41 PM
i wish i could do this challenge but i dont have the right mods
#31 Old 21st May 2014 at 10:32 AM
im going to start this challenge today. it seems cool
Field Researcher
#32 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 12:55 AM Last edited by NaeShelle : 27th Jul 2014 at 5:36 AM. Reason: what have I gotten myself into?
Misty, you are perfection. Absolute perfection.
I'm waiting to get to a place with internet access so I can download portrait panel (the one NRaas mod I don't have ) but I've already created both the families & am working on fixing the house up before I start moving them in.
I switched up the line up for the father's kids but seeing as how I made an extra toddler instead of a third child, I don't think it's that big of a deal.
I'm very excited to play this. Thank you for this wonderful challenge - I've never seen anything like it before.

Edit - Oh. My. Goodness.

Queen of the Land of Typos.

Check out my simblr.
Test Subject
#33 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 5:30 AM
Can someone please explain me how to move them all togheter in one house without the mom and dad being completely strangers or will i have to build they relationship from zero?
Field Researcher
#34 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 12:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xphantomhive
Can someone please explain me how to move them all togheter in one house without the mom and dad being completely strangers or will i have to build they relationship from zero?

You'll need NRaas Master Controller (assuming you already have portrait panel). Master Controller allows you to hand select the value/category of a relationship between two Sims.

Once you've downloaded the mod, move the families in together, select either the mother or the father and then click on the other Sim. (For instance - if you select the father and he's your active Sim, just click on the mother). Once you do that you'll see an "Nraas" tag pop up along with the rest of the normal interactions. Click that, then click "Master Controller", then "Intermediate" then "Long Term Relationship: By Category". Once you get to that page click "Active family" and find the mother/father. Once you click their name a menu will pop up asking what you want their relationship to be categorized as & you just select "husband" or "wife" - whichever is applicable.

That'll make them instantly married & make all of the kids step-siblings.

Queen of the Land of Typos.

Check out my simblr.
Test Subject
#35 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NaeShelle
You'll need NRaas Master Controller (assuming you already have portrait panel). Master Controller allows you to hand select the value/category of a relationship between two Sims.

Once you've downloaded the mod, move the families in together, select either the mother or the father and then click on the other Sim. (For instance - if you select the father and he's your active Sim, just click on the mother). Once you do that you'll see an "Nraas" tag pop up along with the rest of the normal interactions. Click that, then click "Master Controller", then "Intermediate" then "Long Term Relationship: By Category". Once you get to that page click "Active family" and find the mother/father. Once you click their name a menu will pop up asking what you want their relationship to be categorized as & you just select "husband" or "wife" - whichever is applicable.

That'll make them instantly married & make all of the kids step-siblings.

Thank you so much for answering this, I do have Master Controller
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#36 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 5:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NaeShelle
Misty, you are perfection. Absolute perfection.
I'm waiting to get to a place with internet access so I can download portrait panel (the one NRaas mod I don't have ) but I've already created both the families & am working on fixing the house up before I start moving them in.
I switched up the line up for the father's kids but seeing as how I made an extra toddler instead of a third child, I don't think it's that big of a deal.
I'm very excited to play this. Thank you for this wonderful challenge - I've never seen anything like it before.

Edit - Oh. My. Goodness.

Thanks, that was very kind of you to say.
Just as a side note, I have not been releasing new challenges because SIMS 4 is coming out soon! Once a week or so passes, I will start launching new challenges I already have some near completion). I hope you guys enjoy them!!
#37 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 9:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MistyDW
You guys are always giving me a hard time about putting out so many challenges, I thought I'd share with you one of my REJECTED challenges! This is one I pretty much finished and then decided not to post

So yep, it does take me a while to come up with valid ideas lol.

CHALLEGE: YOURS, MINE, AND OURS
̕Introduction – This is based on both the movie in the late 60s and the remake in 2005. The slightly modified version for this challenge is you have two parents, a single mother who has 7 children and a single father who has 7. They fall in love and marry ending up with 14 kids (and two adults) in their home. They are free to have additional children should you desire.

Mods Required – In order to do this challenge, you will have to have a mod that allows you to set the household number to higher than 8. Master Controller/Woohooer from NRaas both have that ability. Also, portrait panel (another mod from NRaas) is a necessity. The mover mod helps but I don’t think it’s a must have. I essentially created each parent with their 7 children as a separate family and then merged them into one large home (I used a modified version of the doll house available under residential houses you can place in edit town. With both families merged, portrait panel did a beautiful job of giving me two lists of sim portraits.

Background -- An artsy, free spirited mother of 7 falls in love with a “military man” with 7 children of his own! Initially, the children do not get along with the “other side” which means lots of fights, pranks, and the like take place. This makes life absolute hell for the parents! How do you raise 14 (possibly more) children to be well-balanced, get good grades, and become productive members of society? More importantly, how the heck do you pay the grocery bill?

Goals –
1. Have happy, well cared for children with grades at a B or above.
2. Organize your home and family (keep your family life from descending into chaos)
3. Raise all children to young adult and have them become productive members of the community with a job and a place of their own.
4. Participate in all holidays as well as some extras (see below).
5. Coordinate family time/events.

Gameplay –
1. Seasons should be set to normal if you have them.
2. Aging should be set to normal
3. Pets are fine
4. You may start in any town you choose.
5. After you create your house, lower your money to 1,000 simoleons using the “familyfunds” cheat.

The Families –
Mom – Artistic (perhaps sculptor/painter or both), Family Oriented, Nurturing, Natural Cook
Mom’s Kids – 3 Teens, 3 Children, 1 toddler
Dad – Athletic, Loves the Outdoors, Neat, Handy, Family Oriented (or Frugal)
Dad’s Kids – 2 teens, 4 children, 1 toddler)
Note: You can choose genders and traits for the children.

The Home –
This family is not wealthy. They are quite frugal, clip coupons, etc. In the earlier movie, they purchased an old Victorian home (a bit of a fixer upper). Most children’s rooms contained two bunk beds (with occasional exception). Boys and girls cannot sleep in the same rooms and you cannot have more than 6 rooms (including a room for mom/dad). Using 4 rooms with the two bunk-bed system will sleep 16. The other room can be for infants/toddlers. It should feel cramped, but not overly so. You can have up to 4 all-in-one bathroom units (I created a bath on my 3rd floor that had the four units) in your house, but the rest of the bathrooms should be normal. You’re going to want at least 3-4 bathrooms!

Note: For a harder challenge, don’t create the bathroom with the all-in-one units. Just have four regular bathrooms!

Note: Before you complete your house and start the challenge, read the TRAVEL section below as there are passenger restrictions on vehicles and you are required to have certain vehicles to start.

Mom’s Role – Mom is a stay-at-home mother who does her artwork as an extra income for the family. Her primary job is caring for the children. However, since mom is artsy, if you wanted her to take a job at the salon part-time, that might be a good alternative for her to work evenings while dad and teens are home to care for smaller children. To keep food costs down, you may have a garden that mom (and perhaps one or two teens) take care of. That is optional. Mom is finally the family cook and you should obtain the various recipes for her as she levels up.

Dad’s Role – Dad is the money maker. It is important to get him into his career and advancing quickly. In the movies, dad is military. If that doesn’t appeal to you at all, try something else. Due to the challenge that lies ahead, I’d recommend dad having a traditional rabbit-hole job instead of something from ambitions. Just because dad works doesn’t mean he gets to come home and be a bum! He helps out with the kids when he’s home and he’s not above making the occasional meal to give mom a break, etc.

Travel—Sorry, you don’t get to pile 14 kids and 2 adults into a sports car. To add a touch of realism, I’m putting a restriction on passengers per vehicle. Standard cars (excluding two-seaters) may hold up to 5. Mini-vans, SUVs, etc. are assumed to have a 3rd row (even though it may not show) and can take 7 passengers. Here is what you must start with:

Mom: Wornado Triage (Station Wagon) – Seats 7
Dad: Vorn P328 (Extended Cab Truck) – Seats 5
Teen: Big Lemon (Used Sedan) – Seats 5

Choose your oldest teen to receive the Big Lemon and teach them to drive immediately. You may upgrade your vehicles as you have the money. When you attend a family event (i.e. Church), mom will click to go to church with (then choose 6 kids), then dad will do the same and choose 4 kids. The eldest teen will take whoever is left (up to 4 additional passengers).

Daily Event – Who’s to say that there isn’t a crisis to be dealt with every day in a house of 14 kids! Roll every day before the kids go to school to see what is going to happen that day. You can use websites like random.org or a dice application, etc. You’ll have to roll once for your random event and then roll again to determine which child(ren) are affected (if applicable).

1: Epidemic! All of your children are sick and must be kept home from school today (if today isn’t a school day, they must be kept inside). They’re all going stir crazy and so are you! You must convince the kids to stay in bed as often as possible. They can play video games, nap on the sofa, etc.
2: Two of your younger children (roll to see who) get into an argument which turns into a fight. One bloodies the other’s nose right before the bus arrives! Keep them both home for a bit, give them a talking to, and make sure everyone is cleaned up, and then drive them to school yourself before 10 AM.
3: The school has asked you to pitch in for a bake sale to raise money for the little league team. Bake 5 deserts today (plates of cookies, pies, etc.) and “donate” them to the school (delete them from your inventory).
4: The boys were throwing the football around outside and threw it right through your neighbor’s picture window! Use family funds (familyfunds) cheat to remove 250 simoleons from your savings to replace the window and give the boys in your household extra chores.
5: A local newspaper is very interested in how your family functions on a daily basis and will be at your house at noon to interview you and take some photos. It’s time for a cleaning frenzy! The house must be spotless.
6: It’s double coupon day at the market! If you go food shopping today, use the familyfunds cheat to give yourself half back (i.e. if you spend 300, give yourself 150 back).
7: Your teens stage a rebellion! Tonight after curfew, ALL of them try to sneak out of the house to go to a party at the public pool (or somewhere else if your town doesn’t have one). If any get caught, give them a good talking to and hand out a bit of discipline! No laptop for a week young lady! (lol)
8: Oh no! The fridge died last night and everything inside has spoiled! Throw EVERYTHING out of your fridge.
9. Dad’s got that sparkle in his eye! Try for baby one time.
10. One of your children (roll to see who) skips school today! You’ll need to give him/her a good punishment. This is a bad sign for their grades.
11. Your kids want to thank you for all that you do for them so they have decided to do everything for themselves today! The teens will take care of the younger children, kids will do extra chores, etc.
12. Your teens want their license! Teach at least one to drive today.
13: Mom & dad decided that tonight everyone is going out to eat (wow that’s going to be a bill). Pile everyone into your cars and drive to the cheapest meal in town.
14: You catch your eldest teen daughter running around with a young adult! You forbid the relationship, but is it too late? Roll 1-2 (or flip a coin) to see if she’s pregnant. 1=Pregnant, 2=Not Pregnant (this only applies if you have the mods to allow teens to get pregnant). If she’s pregnant, pause the challenge and have her try for baby. Woohooer can be set to do this with strangers). Since she is just a teen, you will have to decide if you’re going to raise the baby while she’s in school or if you’re going to make her be responsible.
15: One of your younger children (roll to see who) fell off the monkey bars at school today. The nurse calls and you need to pick him up from school and take him to the hospital for a checkup.
16: Oh no, while everyone was asleep there was a problem with the plumbing in your home and you have no running water until the plumber can fix it! This takes place from before your children wake up until 6PM that night. No showering, no using sinks, etc. The plumber charges you 200 simoleons for the job (use familyfunds to remove 200 from your savings).
17: The word has gotten out about your massive family and the neighborhood took up a collection. Add 300 simoleons to your family’s funds.
18: One of your children (roll to see who) has wreaked havoc at school and got suspended for two days!
19: Mom has had enough! She’s going to a hotel (put a resort in your neighborhood or take her out of the house and have her sleep at a friend’s, go shopping, spa, whatever you can afford). During this time, dad will have to take time off of work and take care of the family by himself!
20: It’s a special family outing day (yay). EVERY member of your family MUST participate. Expect to spend 2-3 hours at a community lot (festival, museum, pool, etc.) with mom, dad, and all kids.

Being A Family—Your household is a very traditional family. To meet your goal of having well-balanced children, you must complete certain tasks regularly. Keep in mind doing anything with 14 kids (even just having dinner) can be a 4 hour event.

--Daily Meals: Your children must get two meals on school days and 2 meals and a snack on weekends. That means mom must start cooking EARLY (I started at 4AM in the morning) and prepare two full meals (i.e. pancakes and waffles). Keep in mind that mom or dad must grocery shop for the family. If something has a price on it then you don’t have the ingredients to make it. Meals are a big deal in your house so shop often! My BIG advice here, especially in the mornings, is to NOT call everyone to the meal. You’ll spend hours watching them try desperately to get to the plate. Prepare the first meal, summon dad and the teens down to eat while the younger kids shower and dress. Then prepare meal #2 and send the teens up to shower/dress and call the younger kids to eat. You need to run a tip top ship. Be organized or you will go insane!

--Sunday Services: You can skip this if you do not want your family to be Christian (or another faith). Otherwise, build a public church in your town and make your entire family attend. You must have the family fed and dressed in their church clothes (yep, that means everyone has to have a set of clothing separate from super formal). And be at the church by 9 AM. Services end at 11 AM. If you have a podium, have dad get up there and deliver a sermon if you like. I strongly advise turning off free will here if you want sims to sit in a pew for 2 hours without running off.

--Sunday Dinner: This is a pain..just saying that up front. Get ready to pull your hair out! Sunday dinner takes place at 6PM every Sunday and everyone must be at the table and seated. BIG TIP: Set it up as a party and invite one other person (friend of the family). Turn OFF free will. Make everyone take a seat at the dinner table except mom and a teen or two (or mom and dad) as they become the servers. At a party, you can click on a plate of food and it should say “serve food”. You will then take the food to whomever you chose, they will accept it and sit back down. Just a suggestion. I tried calling everyone to a meal once at around 7PM and by 2AM I had kids that were STILL trying to eat.

--Birthdays: Birthdays must be celebrated fully. Cake, balloons, and gifts! Each child must receive at least 3 birthday gifts (these could be in the form of toys, etc.). At least one of them must be handed to them as a gift they can open. For example, if your toddler becomes a child, you can gift them a teddy bear and put a new gaming system and TV in their room. The gifts can be as cheap or expensive as you can afford. If possible, throw them a birthday party and invite some of their friends!

--Holidays: Holidays must be celebrated! For Leisure Day, take the family to the beach (don’t forget the hot dogs). For Spooky Day, everyone goes trick or treating and you should have a feast or costume party. What better way to celebrate Snowflake Day then taking the family to a small cabin you own in the woods where the Christmas tree and all the decorations are waiting there for the kids and mom gets up early and makes a huge breakfast, and later, a holiday feast! Obviously celebrating Snowflake Day at home with all the decorations is fine too!

--Camping: Once you have enough money for that cabin in the woods (or even just a small plot of land with trees, a campsite, and a fishing pond); take your kids camping during the summer (or more often if you like).

--Family Outings: Once a week the family goes out (in force) and does something together. That could be seeing a movie, going to a festival, eating out, or anything else you can think of. It’s a good idea (when you’re able) to get at least one of your teens driving to have a third car.

--Date Night: Mom & Dad get one night off a week for four hours. The teens will run the show in their absence. Date night does not have to be the same night each week.

--Family Vacation: At least once every 4 weeks, take the family on a 3 day vacation (if you have seasons, pick a season that you will have your family vacation in. If you have island paradise, you can go to a resort for the 3 days. I’m not certain if you can take children to France or not but that would be awesome!! If you don’t have any expansions that allow for a vacation, then you may skip this.

--Mother’s/Father’s Day: Choose a day in the Spring for mom’s day and a day in the summer for dad’s day. The children must clean the house, teens must prepare meals, and the kids take mom/dad out to dinner that night.

--After-School Activities: Each younger child must have an after-school activity (ballet/scouts).

Making Money—The overall intention of this challenge is for money to be a struggle. This isn’t rags to riches. Its mom and dad working together to make the family a success for 14 children! Other than mom’s artwork and optional part-time job and dad’s pay check, the only other way you can make money are family-related tasks (i.e. the younger kids have a bake sale, or perhaps Jimmy, your teen son loves the guitar and plays for tips once in a while, etc. Teens may have part-time jobs if you choose.

You Had Them, They Didn’t—Teens are available to help but they should have time for themselves, to pursue their interests, etc. Don’t overuse them.

Chores—Once a toddler becomes a child they must be given a daily chore (beyond cleaning up after themselves and making their own beds). All beds must be made before kids leave for school. Example chores for younger kids would be cleaning the dinner dishes (with this many in the family, that could be two kids’ chore), walking the dog, taking out the trash, etc. Teens can be given the shore of babysitting, changing the occasional diaper, raking leaves, helping in the garden, etc.

Growing Up—As your children become young adults, you must move them out. Get them a nice job (or send them to college if you really want to), buy them their own car (excluding the sloppy jalopy and big lemon) and send them on their way.

Once you have kids out of the house, add the following to your daily events and roll 1 – 25 instead of 1 – 20 each day:

21: One of your grown children called and is low on cash and asks to “borrow” 100 simoleons from you. That’s money you’ll never see again…
22: Your son/daughter calls saying he misses your home cooking. Invite him/her to dinner for the next 3 nights!
23: Your grown child is in jail! You were their one phone call. Not only do you have to pay $200 bail but they are confined to your house for the next week until their hearing. To make things worse, they are fired from their job (move them back into your house and have them quit their job. They cannot leave the house for 7 days at which time they can get a new job and you can send them back to their old house). If they had any children, you must take permanent custody of them (good grief) as your son/daughter is declared unfit.
24: One of your grown children is expecting! (The easiest way of accomplishing this is moving them back into your home, get them married if you like, and get them pregnant before returning them to their home). Looks like you’ll be doing some babysitting!
25: One of your grown children hits the lottery for a modest prize. They insist that you take some of the winnings and give you $500!

Family Get Togethers—Once you have children grown and out of the house, you must hold at least one visit per week. This can be accomplished by inviting them to Sunday dinner or having them join you for the family outing that week, or just have them come over and visit with mom and dad and whatever kids are home. Should someone die, the family must come together for a funeral gathering. Just because they are out of the house doesn’t mean they aren’t your children! Call them at least three times per week to see how they’re doing.

COMPLETING THE CHALLENGE—
Once you have raised all of your children well (meaning they must have graduated with a B or better) and you’ve met all the requirements of the challenge in the process, you can consider it a success and enjoy bein
I did start the challenge but lost the save , might start over
Test Subject
#38 Old 30th Mar 2015 at 5:23 PM
Wow, this is amazing! Just like every other one of your challenges Misty
Test Subject
#39 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 10:54 PM
I'm going to do this. I love that movie 😀
Test Subject
#40 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 4:10 PM
Gosh, I can't even handle two kids in TS3!! I might do 6 kids just so I don't need mods; but 6 is still quite a few....
Page 2 of 2