Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#926 Old 16th Aug 2010 at 6:54 PM
Woo! My lot was accepted! :-)
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#927 Old 16th Aug 2010 at 9:19 PM
yay Sandy my chat works but I always push no on the safety button too...

Official Foundation Challange Contestant. R1-R2-R3-R4

BLOGGER A Random Legacy - Vasher
Inventor
#928 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 1:05 PM
Yeah I have to if I want to get in. If I don't it gives me an error.

The Simmer formerly known as Greenlea
Forum Resident
#929 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 2:24 PM
Default Rocky Point X
I didn't move anyone in or finish landscaping, but here's what I did with foundation X:

Straight-on shot from the street:

front from Sims view:

overview with layout:

living room looking down hallway to dining area:

kitchen (with top-of-the-line appliances to include dishwasher and trash compactor):

bedroom decorated to match the blue-green jazz painting (looking in from the backyard):

enjoying the pool in the inner courtyard (with nice view of the living room):

A side view (with a spot for a garden next to the dining area):

I am curious to see what others did with it.
Inventor
#930 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 2:37 PM
I started an attempt last night and didn't get far. I won't have any game time probably over the next 3 days but I intend to do something with it lol

Forum Resident
#931 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 3:47 PM
I'm too busy building another house to work with that horrible foundation. I might try eventually.

Okay, this is completely off-topic and I feel kind of bad about asking here, but I was wondering if there was anyone else who might be interested in judging for a contest that I'm planning right now. So far fragglerocks and heaven_sent_8_18 (hope I did that right) said they would, but the rules say I need at least 3 judges. I don't feel comfortable just PM-ing people.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Inventor
#932 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 4:02 PM
What type of contest is it? lol

Forum Resident
#933 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 4:11 PM
It's a building contest. I have a few ideas and I wanted input from the judges to decide which to go with.

Inventor
#934 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 6:34 PM
Ciane: Wow, you really made a liveable place out of foundation X. That's so exciting! I like your room layout and the colours, especially the kitchen.
I started building on this foundation too, however, I didn't finish it yet because I was more tempted to build something on a 10x10 lot - which I did today. I'll continue with my foundation X build tomorrow and upload some pictures asap.

LifesLover: I actually made this foundation for fun and didn't even think about it's practicability, however, later I tried building on it too and now I think it's not as bad as it looks.
As for your contest I'll keep an eye on the contest page. I won't be able to judge because a) I've never participated in a contest before and b) my english isn't good enough to give detailed feedback to the contestants.
ps: You could promote your contest with a link in your signature.

It's kinda boring since the contest is over... I can't even remember what I did before the contest started - I'm usually never bored... so I'm surprised that I am now.

Can't wait to see the scores for this round and for the final winner to be announced.
Top Secret Researcher
#935 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 6:41 PM
I think some of us should just make a thread or a group where members can post their foundations and then people can freely try out building houses/community lots on them. The rules could be bent a bit so the restrictions are not that strict.That would be kind of cool. Obviously if the results were good, people can upload their creations.

I find it more funny to build with a limit or semi-limit for a challenge

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Inventor
#936 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 6:59 PM
Yeah same here lol

Forum Resident
#937 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 10:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Yogi-Tea
LifesLover: I actually made this foundation for fun and didn't even think about it's practicability, however, later I tried building on it too and now I think it's not as bad as it looks.
As for your contest I'll keep an eye on the contest page. I won't be able to judge because a) I've never participated in a contest before and b) my english isn't good enough to give detailed feedback to the contestants.
ps: You could promote your contest with a link in your signature.

It's kinda boring since the contest is over... I can't even remember what I did before the contest started - I'm usually never bored... so I'm surprised that I am now.

Can't wait to see the scores for this round and for the final winner to be announced.

Well, I'm busy building something else right now, so I haven't really tried too hard to build on your foundation. It looks pretty daunting, though, but I'll take your word for it not being so hard.

You could judge without having to have experience with contests. It's only hosting one that you have to have been in one before, as far as I can tell. But I don't want to force anyone into doing something that they don't want to do. And I'll definitely put a link to it in my signature once I get the contest going, thanks for the advice.

I'm bored, too. I can't imagine what I did before. Now all I think about, practically, is looking to see if there's a new foundation up, which, obviously, isn't going to happen. But it would be cool if, somewhere on the site, there was a thread where people could post foundations and it be a building thread.

Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#938 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 10:39 PM
Round 3 judging must be very difficult for them. I haven't seen the results yet. Did I miss them? I've looked.
Forum Resident
#939 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 11:05 PM
I think they've already done round 3 judging. They're working on round 4.

Yep, found round 3 scores. http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...00&postcount=88

There you go, if that was what you were looking for.

Field Researcher
#940 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 12:26 AM
Here's another version of Yogi-Tea's wicked Foundation X. Thank you so much for making it, Yogi-Tea!
@GreenLea - thank you for asking for a random foundation!
@Ciane - Wow! I really like what you did with this!
In a far, distant time (and again today) Steampunk was a popular style and way of living with Victorian era state-of-the-art technology based on steam. One romantic idea was the flying ship. I give you Steampunk Landing

This little landing on Lake Winnemucca is the docking port for two Steampunk airships. The larger has a comfy livingroom, bath (small but usable) and the bedroom. There is also access to the rowboat (which lacks paddles) for emergencies on the water. It is not recommended to use the rowboat while flying! The office is in the captain's cabin upstairs, which gives onto the main deck and the steering deck at the bow. The smaller airship has a small kitchen and a dining room, with a firepit on the deck above. Chess and an easel are available on the dock for skill-building.
The floorplans:

I play-tested with one Sim for 2 Simdays, and did not run into problems. Two Sims might have difficulty with the narrow gangways, though. The three foundation islets in front hold two clocks and a docksign with a CC belltower. The right side 2 islets support columns, which hold a set of CC paddlewheels. The two rear islets hold buoys (buydebug).
Interior shots:

The small but cozy living room with its steam-driven ;-) television set.

The kitchen and dining room are in the smaller airship. Again, the kitchen might prove problematic for more than 1 Sim at a time. But it does work.

The bedroom has two single beds and plenty of room to move around. The bathroom next to it is small, with a claw-foot tub, wash basin and toilet.

And finally, a gratuitous close-up of the larger airship. The balloons are, of course also CC. The octopi-balloon-anchors are from buydebug. The rowboat next to the dock is also from buydebug, although someone here made one that actually works better when placed on water. The figurehead is Alexia Full of Hair, enlarged with a very clever piece of CC from here. All other items are from the game and expansions or the store.
Thanks, again, Armiel, for Builder's Island, which provides the background.
Lab Assistant
#941 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 1:01 AM
Wow..thats excellent, Gamineannie. Just made me realise what a crap imagination I have compared to 'real builders' lol
Forum Resident
#942 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 1:50 AM
Gamineannie - What fun! I love those balloons and ship idea.
Field Researcher
#943 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 2:03 AM
Thank you Mia138! But you shouldn't be so negative about your own building - you had some lovely entries in the contest. Besides, I could have done much better if I had invested more time in this one. I started out building a normal Steampunk style house, but it looked too much like the couple of Steampunk houses I had recently downloaded here. I couldn't figure out to make them less derivative. Then I recalled a novel I had read a couple of months ago, whose heroine was a Steampunk airship captain, so I had that inspiration. And luckily, the whole foundation did not sink when I put in the "lake"! Victorian is not a style I usually play around with, but this was strictly for fun and I can use the practice!
Ciane, thank you! I had a lot of fun with this. The original build was a Victorian Steampunk house with museum-like displays on the many foundation singlets, but as I said the main house was not original at all. And I would have liked to be able to run one of the ships aground, but my CFE skills are still in the learning stage. Have to hone those some more - the contest provided so many fine ideas to play around with, too!
Forum Resident
#944 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 4:27 AM
I've never done much with the Steampunk style, never really caught my eye. But your house is beautiful, I think it's great. Oh, by the way, might you remember the name of that book you were reading? I'm in desperate need of some reading material.

Top Secret Researcher
#945 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 4:39 AM
Anyone who like steampunk should have a look at the new Bioshock

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Field Researcher
#946 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 6:17 AM
Lifeslover - You're in luck, I found the book in the third row of my third most recent reads. It is a slightly off-the-wall romance novel titled "Steamed" by Katie MacAlister. It was a fun read and made me wish I could get away with wearing leather and buckles - without looking like a lost horse! Thanks for the nice comment!
Kaospilot - What is Bioshock?
Top Secret Researcher
#947 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 6:23 AM
A game It's usually set in an underwater city in the 1960's which is seen as steampunk-ish influenced but is mostly by art deco, but this 3rd game will be placed in the skies with a flying world faire!

http://www.steampunktribune.com/201...-sequal-to.html

Inventor
#948 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 7:59 AM
Kaospilot: Hey, didn't you say you'd be on holiday for a while? Well, anyway, welcome back....
I love the idea of a group for foundations. Instead of just posting a new foundation (like I did) we could build something on a foundation with no limit in time and then post the original foundation to see what other people would build on it. Or we could all post foundations, vote for the best one (or three) and then build on it (them).

Gamineannie: Wow, very creative. I love it!
Where did you get the ballons from? Is that in the world editor? I know there have been ballons in Sims 2 but I haven't found those in Sims 3 so far.
Top Secret Researcher
#949 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 8:03 AM
I am but the lovely rain is keeping me inside :lovestruc I'm ill now anyway and going back in two days so taking it ez.

I shall create such a group! Just need to learn how to first

Edit: Seems like I can't figure out how to. So I think someone else should do it

Inventor
#950 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 12:46 PM
@Kaospilot: Sorry to hear that you're ill - get well soon! In that case it's okay if it's raining, I guess. Here it's raining too - I don't mind because I have some things to do at home (I'm on holiday too) - this evening my friends and I will watch all star wars episodes (hope my friend won't put the extended editions in the dvd player... )
See, I didn't offer to create such a group because I have no idea how to - maybe we'll have to ask a mod? I'll have a look later.

Now I'd like to post a few pictures before I have to leave:

"The Country Fashion Boutique"

30 x 30 lot / Foundation X

The little Country Fashion Boutique has everything for the stylish folks. You are clueless about fashion? No problem at all – our staff will help you to find your very own style.

The entrance to the living quarters of the little country house is at the reverse side of the lot. The bedroom is to the left side of the entrance and the kitchen and livingroom area is just vis-à-vis. The small bathroom is in the middle of the house. The interior is very simple but functional.

In the backyard there's a pool and an outdoor grill area. The workspace and recreation room is located in a seperate little house right behind the pool. All buildings are connected with a little footpath and/or steps leading to it. In the middle of the lot there's also a nice little vegetable garden with some trees (apple, cherrie, plum) and everything that a vegetarian will appreciate.

It has a lot store items included but no CC.

It's not that I created the foundation because I had this little cottage in mind - I rather made the foundation like "ah, a little piece of foundation here and there... and there too... and here too and... whoohoo, that will keep them busy... "

And no, actually I'm everything but evil. I'm surprised myself that I had such evil thoughts in mind when I created this foundation.

Page 38 of 39