Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Mar 2018 at 1:55 AM
Default Best way of keeping track of CC? (for exporting sims)
So, my hobby for the past 2-3 years has been making sims based off of characters from other video games, tv shows, movies, celebrities, etc. And I've accumulated A LOT of sims (my sim bin in CAS is nearly at 500, with no duplicates). I've been wanting to share some of my sims with the community, but the thing is I use CC. A lot of it. And, the thing is, I'm not sure on how to keep track of what CC I use on sims.

My collection of hairs is especially problematic, because I have way more than I could probably ever use, but yet with no duplicates. I've started going through pictures of hairstyles online, accompanied by the hair's name/creator, but it's taking far longer than I would like it to, and I haven't even started looking at clothing. I don't want to get rid of anything because 1. I don't know what my sims are using currently and 2. I make sims often enough that having lots of variety in my hairs/clothing is essential for making unique sims that are accurate to the character I'm making.

I try to convert sims3packs to packages when I can (excluding patterns, lots, worlds, etc), and my CC folders are very organized (sorted by type and creator, and with the case of hairs sorted by gender and name), but there's still no way I can easily figure out what CC I've applied to my sims.

I know it's generally considered bad practice to use the in-game "export" tool, as sometimes bad/unnecessary CC may hitch a ride on the sims3pack. But in my case I feel that it may be the best way to figure out what CC my sims are using.

Is there some alternative way to figuring out what CC a sim is using, other than picture-matching content online? (I don't mean a package reader tool; they are helpful but they often have trouble handling the amount of packages they have to go through before they even try to give me information I can look at) Like is there some kind of mod that allows you to view the name of the .package file that's being used for the sim, perhaps when you mouse over the CAS item, or in a notifications box? (At least then I could run the game with my unmerged CC to find what I need). Or is there some way to figure this out using s3pe? (I know I can extract sim thumbnails from my .sim files with s3pe... but I don't know much else. ) Or even better yet, something like the package reader tool that analyzes a .sim file and tells you what CC the sim uses?

Any house, sim, or world creators out there--- how do you keep track of what CC you use when designing a sim/lot/world? Is there some universal method that I'm missing out on? Or do people just keep better track of what CC they use/download than me?

(I hope this is in the right thread; this isn't exactly an issue with my game as it is trying to identify the CC I've used on sims that I currently still have)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Mar 2018 at 3:08 PM
You can run a package or a Sims3Pack through CUSTARD and it'll tell you the dependencies. And also if there's anything wrong with said dependencies.
In an objective sense, at least. If you have 7 different CC statues of Jesus dressed up as various superheroes, it won't have anything to say about that. Also where the hell did you get those?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Mar 2018 at 4:51 PM
Oh sweet. I didn't even consider using CUSTARD for that. Thanks!