Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
just a girl
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 10:48 PM Last edited by Lamare : 2nd Apr 2017 at 11:57 PM.
Default Blender: Stubborn edge won't go smooth (Solved)
This time it's not a candle, so I decided to make a new thread. Please let me know, if it's not right and I should just create an "Assorted meshing questions" thread.

I needed to edit another mesh. When I imported it in Blender, all faces went sharp, although original mesh was smooth, but that's OK, I looked up how to fix it: tick "smooth" in Object mode, or "Shade smooth" in Edit mode. It does the trick, but there are a few edges that won't go smooth, whatever I do.

I've noticed that there's one seam on every cylinder figure. Some are at the back side of the object, but this two - on the front, so I can't ignore them. Here they are:

Also by poking them I've noticed that these edges are separate, unlike others that do smooth. I can divide them like this:

And when I choose to select edges, these won't highlight. So they are not like the rest of the edges. How do I make them so?

I guessed, I needed to make two edges into one. I did that, they responded to smoothing, but I got this for the texture:

Here's the original mesh without seams:

I have no idea why Blender would create them. I haven't ticked "Smooth groups" while importing. Actually, I've tried different import settings with the same result.

All I wanted is to lower one of the boxes down a little. The cylinders were fine. Now everything is falling apart.

Edit.

Sometime later...

I can't delete the thread, so I guess it stays for other people's reference. I've tried other methods of merging edges and deleting doubles helped without distorting the texture. Edit mode -> A (select all) -> W -> Remove Doubles.
I don't know where those doubles came from, but there were many. I hope they were not needed for anything...