Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 12:33 AM
I don't blame them if creators don't want to switch: I mean, once you get into something and you know how to do it, it can be daunting and downright worthless to learn something else, especially if it's for a game that you don't really like.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 12:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tjstreak
Did you read my post?

When you take out the recolors and different body types, how many are there?

And you did not answer my question: Specifically, what items were available in TS2 that you are missing in TS3?

To be quite honest, this thread and a lot of posts in it just strike me as senseless whining. There are some Sims 2 players who seem to be very unhappy that there are other people playing and enjoying the Sims 3. The seem to be having a very hard time coming to grips with the fact that the Sims 2 is a dead game and that it will not be springing back to life.

So almost on a daily basis we get these posts about how much better Sims 2 is than Sims 3, as if the posters believe that most of the people who have switched to Sims 3 are going to switch back again, and that EA is going to discontinue Sims 3 and go back to producing for the Sims 2. The people making these posts apparently live on a different planet than the rest of us.

I didn't mean to come off as a whiner. If I did I'm sorry. To answer your question, there really isn't much in the way of ordinary clothing for TS3 sims to wear- the EAxis clothes aren't very good and there really isn't much good CC at this point. From what everyone has said, though, making clothes seems way too much of a pain in the ass to make it worth it. However, I don't agree with you when you say people are whining about TS3. There is some whining, I'll give you that, but usually it's just people airing their dislike of TS3. Preferring TS2 is not a crime, and people should not be forced to play TS3 just becuase EA isn't releasing anything for TS2. Besides, TS2 isn't really "dead" yet; there are still plenty of people in the Sims Community playing it and creating for it.
Eminence Grise
#28 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 2:03 AM
Mesh modding is harder in TS3 than in TS2, for sure, and kudos to all those who jumped and continue to jump the hurdles and give us great new stuff anyway

But I personally thing it's great that they put CaST in the game, and essentially made every player a recolor modder. If you think about all the recolors that every sims player does during gameplay, you could say that there are literally millions MORE modders for TS3 ;-)

There are other kinds of modding that are easier, too. Nice to see all the XML tuning mods, for instance, with non-technical people feeling quite comfortable adjusting all kinds of gameplay settings to their preferences and sharing the results. And both the community-made tools and EA's tools (we may not have body shop, but CAW and CAP are pretty cool) give intermediate modder wannabes a way in. I'm not as pessimistic as tjstreak about the difficulty of learning to use these: there are tutorials, forums, and chat rooms where you can get support, and I have seen plenty of folks go from knowing nothing to producing very nice stuff.

Script modding is hard, and requires either programming experience or a lot of determination... but it's heartening that we do have so many people who have taken it on with brilliant results... from Pescado and Twallan reimagining the base game, to people like Buzzler and Ani_ and Kolipoki providing specialized mods for everything from fixes for annoyances to brand new gameplay features of the kind you'd expect to get in an EP. These are the types of mods I tend to use, rather than meshes and objects, and I have to say that though I can't provide a numerical comparison, I feel like there is plenty to choose from for TS3. When animations are cracked (which looks closer than ever), I think we'll be pretty well covered.

So yeah... I didn't find out about mods till halfway through Sims 2, and I haven't seen the whole trajectory from Sims 1, like Inge and others have. But I have to say that in terms of my needs as a player, I don't feel like there's any shortage of great mods that I want to use.
Alchemist
#29 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 2:50 AM
I think there are numerous reasons why it seems there isn't as much custom content for S3 as there is for S2 many of which have been stated.

As Kaospilot stated the game hasn't been out as long. And as leesester stated it's more difficult to create things for this game. These two issues alone are probably a large part of the answer.

But, IMO, there are other reasons. As Ambular stated the game just isn't as visually appealing. This is true for a variety of reasons. One of those reasons, again IMO, is that most things, from clothes, to accessories, to furniture, to fence-posts are coated in monotonous repeating patterns giving the game a rather bland look.

Creators could get around this...after all it is possible to create objects and clothes which have both individual textures as well as the option of using CAS but, it seems, many creators either don't know this or don't care to attempt it. I apologize for disagreeing Robodl95 but I cannot agree with you about the lack of a need for recolors. Individually textured items without a repeating pattern are what makes S2 the eye-stunner it is. The lack of those items, among other things, in S3 is what makes it less visually appealing IMO.

Most creators are visually oriented people whose joy in creating comes from the appearance of something they have created. In S2 a creator has a lot of control over that appearance. Sure someone could do a bad recolor...but the base mesh itself made the creator happy. In S3, it seems, many people only want things they can recolor in CAS and this takes away control from the creator. If you're a creator who can tolerate S2 there is no incentive to give up that control just to make things that people are going to apply flat repeating patterns onto unless you get into the challenge of creating something that's going to look good with a flat repeating pattern. This issue is probably at least part of why many very talented S2 creators haven't bothered with S3.

In this thread there have been a couple references to "only" or "just" recolors but I have to say that recoloring something, that is, creating a new texture for a mesh, is in itself an art. The art of texturing is what makes S2 so much more beautiful a game visually than S3 with its bland and flat CAS-everywhere appearance. As a person who creates meshes and textures I can say that neither skill is more important than the other except in S3 where the texture artist's hands have been tied by the perception that recolors are not possible.

And this is just a perception...it isn't the fact. A couch or a dress, just like a painting, can be given real texture options without losing its recolorability in CAS. I'm hoping it's only a matter of time before the texture artists realize this and start adding more visual interest to this game because, boy!...does it need it.

Lastly, I'll add that S2 had a community that was more communicative with the creators...at least that's how it seemed to me. With the addition of a third Sims version the overall Sim community has been fractured with some people in S1, some in S2, and some in S3. There isn't as much creative talk and there isn't as much feedback, both in terms of discussion or albums/screenshots/stories for any one of the games as there used to be. This is discouraging to people who share things for the joy of sharing, seeing their items in use, and talking to others who enjoy the visual aspects of the game.

My general feeling is that most people who played the game in a custom content-dependant way: to set scenes, decorate homes, create stories, and do things like that are still back in S2. The people who play to play (a pursuit that doesn't require as much custom content, if any) moved along to the greater playability of S3. The people who play to play, by and large, don't seem very appreciative of custom content, they don't discuss it much, and they don't create all the things that allow creators to know their creations are being used and appreciated. This can only have the effect of discouraging creators for S3.

Add in the difficulty of creating meshes and there you go. Not many people are going to slog through hours of meshing only to see albums with homes decorated using EA meshes and Sims with EA hair clothed in EA outfits...that's just a fact. The Sims community has always voted with its posts and pictures/films...no posts/pictures/films=no stuff. As far as I can tell people who want quality custom content of any kind for this game are few...and those who want quality custom content that hasn't been taken out of S2 and adapted are even fewer. For a creator the question then becomes...why bother?

And this doesn't even get into the issue of .package vs SimPack which is another problem unto itself.
Theorist
#30 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 3:03 AM
I don't get how recoloring is still important in TS3, there really are no recolors (hair retextures are a little different....), if you were to release something that couldn't be recolored (as some clothing creators have tried....) you ultimately end up being bashed by the community, I've seen it happen a bunch of times, personally I find it really annoying when somebody puts a fabric texture on a shirt that you can't get rid of, if I want a fabric texture then I'll put a fabric texture on it.

I also disagree with regular players not being into CC, there are plenty of people who use a ton of CC and play the game for playing

Hi I'm Paul!
Scholar
#31 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 3:06 AM
Id also like to add how much customizing you can do on your own, like some have mentioned. (Patterns, hair color, etc) I swear, it could not make a family of 8 sims in TS3 at one go. It was taking HOURS. I had to split them in half, so I did 4 sims one day and the next day another 4 sims and merged them lols and I was already dying on my last 2 sim lol

And I agree with lots of the stuff orange mentioned
Alchemist
#32 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 3:22 AM
You misunderstand me Robodl95. You say there are no recolors and that if you released something that couldn't be recolored you would be "bashed". I'm saying there can be recolors and those recolors can be collections within an item that is recolorable in CAS. It is possible...read what I said. The thing doesn't have to have any particular texture...it can all be done without affecting a good CAS appearance.

But you seem to be precisely the kind of downloader I'm talking about...and, please don't misunderstand me, I don't mean that in an insulting fashion...it's a personal taste issue IMO. Most S3 downloaders don't seem to want individuality...they want monotonous repeating patterns. If someone makes something different they respond as you have said you do...they find it "really annoying". Many excellent creators have no interest in creating that kind of thing for people like you so there isn't going to be a big incentive for them to create for this game. Just sayin'. It all goes back to what I said above...the truly creative downloaders have stuck with S2...that is, the people who create movies, scenes, stories, and albums of decorated houses. And they are the ones who crave unique and beautiful custom content. S3 downloaders just want something they can apply a pattern onto...not unique...lol.

You have also misunderstood me about "regular" players. Creators generally don't create for regular players unless they want their money. Creators create for players who post and demonstrate in some way that the item the creator created is being used and is liked. Most creators who aren't charging money aren't just posting stuff into a vacuum...they post it to join in a creative effort. Someone sitting in their house playing and not posting isn't contributing to that effort. I mean really...think about it. Would you go to hours of effort to put something online and then never see it used in someone's pictures or movies? Would you go to hours of effort if no one ever said, "hey...that's a great thing and I love it?" Prolly not.
Theorist
#33 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 3:40 AM
I still don't get what you're saying.... could you give an example because I have honestly no clue what you're talking about....

There are plenty of creators that create that style of clothing, Anubis, Poppy, AAS & several other from this site come to mind. S3 players want something that they can apply a pattern onto so that they can make it unique, should I make it a brown shirt or a green shirt? What about one with pink and orange spots? Or blue skulls?

You also just said two conflicting things, wanting to know that players use it in game is different then people who want stuff just for pictures. I can see my download numbers and people tell me if they're appreciating my work, I don't care about seeing my stuff in pictures (and I never have fyi), as long as I know that some people get a use out of it for whatever purpose I'm happy

Hi I'm Paul!
Forum Resident
#34 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 4:07 AM
I have no idea what you're saying, orangemittens, either. You could probably categorize me in the I play to play. I don't like machinima, or setting scenes. I like playing and building houses to play in. But that doesn't mean that I don't love custom content.

I don't mind creators putting in overlays and textures on their creations, so long as it doesn't limit my possibilities in CAS. And no offense meant, but what does it matter to you if someone mindlessly repeats a pattern in their own game? It's not like you see it for the most part: you just think they do it. I like a variety of patterns and sometimes not even using patterns. I love having floral textures and overlays on my clothing so long as I have a variety and also the option to not have it on there to begin with. The only thing I don't like is on that one stupid window from the base game and I can't figure out how to remask the stupid thing to make getting rid of the overlay not look stupid.

I also figured that most creators posted their content in order to have others enjoy it as much as they did. Who cares how they enjoy it, so long as they do? Isn't that the greater purpose and why we do it for free? Because, in the end, that's our payment: the joy they get from it and the joy we get from them getting it? I can't say this from a modder's perspective, because I'm still just a newbie in that aspect, but in other areas of fandom, I've done a lot and I do it for the joy they get out of it.

Recolors may have made TS2 visually stunning and beautiful, but when I have thousands of CC pieces, most of it just recolors for clothing (and most of the time, they didn't feature patterns at all, but just a simply different color- like, white, blue, gold, puce), I find myself overloaded with what to pick and not having very many options that speak to me visually, because it's not something that I created. In TS3, I get to feel like I'm part of the creative process, not just a downloader, because I get to download content and then I get to make it work to fit me as a person and my style. Maybe that takes away from the creative process of the creator, but they still get to create as much as they want with whatever patterns they want and textures. They just have to do that: the downloaders aren't stopping them.

Mad Poster
#35 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 5:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tjstreak
To be quite honest, this thread and a lot of posts in it just strike me as senseless whining. There are some Sims 2 players who seem to be very unhappy that there are other people playing and enjoying the Sims 3. The seem to be having a very hard time coming to grips with the fact that the Sims 2 is a dead game and that it will not be springing back to life.

So almost on a daily basis we get these posts about how much better Sims 2 is than Sims 3, as if the posters believe that most of the people who have switched to Sims 3 are going to switch back again, and that EA is going to discontinue Sims 3 and go back to producing for the Sims 2. The people making these posts apparently live on a different planet than the rest of us.

I have been having the same feeling for a long time already. Some people find the need to always put TS3 down to justify their own choice of sticking with TS2.

Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
Most S3 downloaders don't seem to want individuality...they want monotonous repeating patterns. If someone makes something different they respond as you have said you do...they find it "really annoying".

And to misquote orangemittens out of context. When I first read this, the first thing that came to my mind was the TS2 vs. TS3 war. That EA did something different with TS3, some people cant handle it being different and find it "really annoying".

S3 downloaders just want something they can apply a pattern onto...not unique...lol.

That's a bit harsh. Putting all TS3 players into a mould and stating we don't enjoy a pretty downloads, and that all the creative storytelling stayed with TS2. That pretty much means that if anybody who was a good story teller and enjoyed pretty downloads in TS3, somehow lost all their skills and uniqueness when switching.

Quote:
I mean really...think about it. Would you go to hours of effort to put something online and then never see it used in someone's pictures or movies? Would you go to hours of effort if no one ever said, "hey...that's a great thing and I love it?" Prolly not.

I know you were answering Robodl95, but decided to pop-in with my own comment. The answer to the bolded part, is I would. I never do stuff for other people, everything I have done, are things I wanted in the game for myself. I only put them to upload because I figured somebody else might want these things too. So regardless of does the item ever get downloaded, the item already exists, so why not share in case it's useful for somebody else.

Of course it's always nice to get a "thanks for the mod" comment, but what would be even nicer, would be bug reports. Not the "I don't know how to download or open a zip" type of comments, but proper, when I do x, y and z, this happens.

Not every creator is a fame-whore who needs recognition.

By the way, I love your downloads, specially the shelving and the hat boxes are heavily used in my game. And I'm not being sarcastic here, I really do like them.
Alchemist
#36 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 5:28 AM
It would seem I stepped into an argument I didn't know existed since I spend my Sim time creating things and not goin' back and forth on which game is better.

I think S2 looks better. I create for S3. Pretty much that's it. Someone asked why more S2 people aren't creatin' for S3 and I gave my opinion. I'm not gonna argue about it any more than I would expect anyone to argue how they feel these games look or how they are to create for.
Forum Resident
#37 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 5:32 AM
If you'd enjoy creating for the Sims 2 then why do you create for the Sims 3? Wouldn't you rather create for a game that you'd find more rewarding, if I'm taking your opinion in the right context? And this is just a simple curious question, not to start a bad argument.

Alchemist
#38 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 5:38 AM
I did create for S2...I got bored with it. S3 is more of a challenge. Making something look good with these CAS patterns, doin' the shadows (ridiculously difficult for me), etc...it's all just more fun. I miss the textures but I'm working on being able to please myself and the people who want CAS all in one go. It *is* possible to have unique textures and CAS-abilty. I just need to learn to be a better mesher because this game is harder to mesh for

And besides...S3 is more fun to play...hands down...IMO of course.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#39 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 6:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Yeah, there's some basic styles that are nice that nobody's really done, but meh, the basic tee shirt is good enough, just change the colour, right?
I don't think I've ever seen girls wear shirts like that. They either wear (almost) skin-tight shirts or longer shirts that cover at least part of the butt. God, I miss the untucked stuff from TS2!

For me this isn't really about numbers. I didn't care about most of the stuff that was created for TS2, and I don't care about most of the stuff that gets created for TS3 either. I've long stopped installing stuff that looks like "One day, and that day may never come..." that particular item or clothing might come to good use. I like clothing/hair/younameit that might even appear bland on first sight, but comes with superior usability. There was a lack of stuff like that then, and there's a lack of stuff like that now. Most folks who made stuff like that, didn't switch to TS3 or stopped creating altogether.

Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
There are other kinds of modding that are easier, too. Nice to see all the XML tuning mods, for instance{...}
Is it okay if I disagree with that? I think resource overriding is a tad too easy. It's actually so easy that even people can do it who haven't the slightest idea of what they're messing with and what the possible consequences might be.

Quote:
Script modding is hard{...}
Funny, I thought that was something nice and easy that came with TS3. I hand-painted a couple textures for TS2 clothing (never released anything to the public, though) and that's what I'd consider hard; make that really really hard. It once took me something like 4 hours to draw the seams on a jeans, for example, and in the end well-done photo-skinned clothes still looked better. In case it didn't become obvious: I hold a great deal of respect for folks who make respectable meshes and textures.

I don't respect meshers who make stupid modifications, though. The other day I downloaded a couple tops for female YA/A and deleted them right away. My poor B-cup sim suddenly had to carry around a few twin-dome-shaped extra pounds. I know of these silicone cushion thingies, but that's just ridiculous.

As Kaospilot stated the game hasn't been out as long.
Is time really the issue? It's not really a lack of tools or a lack of knowledge, is it? I think it's mainly because a lot of TS2 creators don't make stuff for TS3, and the new creators have to start from scratch. Meshing and texturing are things you simply can't master right away, no matter what the differences between TS2 and TS3 are.

I agree to your posting wholeheartedly, though. ETA: Except the part about doing stuff for other people.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#40 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 8:31 AM
tjstreak, it occurs to me these threads would remain a lot pleasanter if people like you would stop interjecting words like "whining" which are just calculated to get people feeling insulted. Surely you can address the topic directly without calling people's character and behaviour into question along the way?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#41 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 8:43 AM
Be nice, dammit!

I'm getting real tired of having to step in constantly on discussion threads. This doesn't have to turn into bickering - we can have a nice civil discussion without pissing everyone else off, can't we? CAN'T WE?!?

Also, what Inge said. Don't use deliberately inflammatory language, and you won't piss people off.

Don't make me get the hose!
Mad Poster
#42 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 8:55 AM
I can't speak for anyone who isn't me, but I know why I create for the Sims 2 and not the Sims 3. Why, you ask? (or not, but I'm going to tell you anyway!) Because my laptop won't run the Sims 3, so I still play the Sims 2. I have nothing against the Sims 3, would love to give it a go, and dream of the day (in many many years...) when I'll be able to afford a new computer and play it for the first time! But obviously I'm not going to create cc for a game I can't play, because I have no wish to make stuff I can't use myself..... :-)

As I said, I only speak for myself, but I bet there's at least one other person who has the same reason for not creating for the Sims 2. I can't be that out of the ordinary, surely?! (no rude comments, thank you! :-D)
Theorist
#43 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 11:59 AM
I agree with what ani said, I do things that I want for my own game, there may be a request along the line that I may not love but I overall I create to please myself and to use my stuff in my own game.....

Hi I'm Paul!
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#44 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 12:36 PM
There aren't as many creators because, quite simply, most TS3 creators at this stage are still the same people from TS2. Since only SOME of them make the jump, the number is naturally thus smaller. Of course, quantity is not quality: Most of the TS3 creations are still crap, more so than TS2 creations.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Alchemist
#45 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 12:41 PM
Since two people mentioned now it I feel sorta like I need to clarify what I meant when I said, "Would you go to hours of effort to put something online and then never see it used in someone's pictures or movies? Would you go to hours of effort if no one ever said, "hey...that's a great thing and I love it?" Prolly not."

First I was discussing this in the context of why I think some S2 creators haven't made a move to create for S3 which is one of the topics of this thread. Again, this is *my opinion*, but I don't think S3 has as active a community that a lot of artist types seem to enjoy in S2. I think some creators create specifically for their community of friends and fellow-creators and that S2 is richer ground for them. All I'm saying is that for some creators S3 might not be a venue as conducive to the kind of creative sharing they currently enjoy in S2. Clearly I'm not referring to myself here since I stopped meshing for S2 before S3 even came out and I started learning to mesh for S3 the first moment someone made a tutorial showing how to get started...lol.

Second, I certainly wasn't referring to "fame" nor do I personally think that people who enjoy seeing their things in use in other people's game are, by definition, "fame-whores". I'll freely admit I get a kick out of seeing someone use something I made in their game...I share stuff because I hope other people will enjoy using it as much as I enjoy making it. I've made a lot of stuff that I haven't shared because I don't think it's good enough to share...it has flaws that could be annoying to others...does caring about something like that make someone a "fame-whore"? Seeing something I made in use lets me know in the most straightforward way that at least *someone* likes it and didn't find it too annoying.

Plus, often people use it or CAS it in a way I never even thought of and I love seeing that. I love seeing someone post a picture of a scene or a Sim where the work of many artists is all brought together in a visually arresting way that is, in and of itself, an act of the player's creativity...this kind of mix-matching creativity is one of the things I've always felt is a strength of all the Sim games. It's unclear to me how enjoying that element of the game, the fact that it brings meshers, modders, and players together in a creative process, makes one a fame whore but I guess we all have our own opinion about what specific kinds of pleasures make one a whore.

If someone isn't being paid for the things they post for download they must be posting it for some reason. I would argue that it isn't for their health...they're posting it because they think others might enjoy it. So, while they aren't necessarily creating it for other people they certainly are sharing it for other people. That is, they may be making something they want for their own game but they're sharing it in hope that it's something others will like in their game as well. But perhaps I'm incorrect in that...maybe there could be some other motive for sharing things for free that I haven't thought of.

Lastly, what's wrong with creators who sometimes or always make free things for others anyway? Does this make someone a "fame-whore"? For example...does Fresh-Prince *really* need all of those cars in his (her?) game or is he making so many, at least in part, because a lot of people really really like them and he enjoys pleasing those people? If someone asks me to put a specific image on a painting for them and I do it does that make me a fame whore? And what about those artists who post in the requests forum looking to collaborate with a player on an idea for an object, mod, or clothing? Are they fame-whores?

Buzzler, your vanishing objects mod is a perfect example of making things for others...why else did you ask what objects to start with (based on greatest player usage etc.) and why else do you stand ready to add new objects if someone posts a request for it? Answering this kind of request is quite specifically creating/modifying *for* other people. Perhaps I misunderstood you though when you said you disagreed with me about that part of my post.
Instructor
#46 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 5:36 PM
Buzzler, your vanishing objects mod is a perfect example of making things for others...why else did you ask what objects to start with (based on greatest player usage etc.) and why else do you stand ready to add new objects if someone posts a request for it? Answering this kind of request is quite specifically creating/modifying *for* other people. Perhaps I misunderstood you though when you said you disagreed with me about that part of my post.

I think it's a question of intent. For you, creation isn't about the product so much as the feeling you get knowing someone else will enjoy your product. Other people create for the process itself and share only because, hey, someone might like it and that's sorta cool. Neither is right or wrong and in fact, I would wager money that it's an age-old philosophical debate about the very nature of art and the artist: Some create because they must create and care little for what others think while others create for others, sometimes going so far as to include those others in the creative process.

"Books don't take time away from us ... They give it back. In this age of abstraction, of multitasking, of speed for speed's sake, they reintroduce us to the elegance - and the relief! - of real tick-tock time." - Home Safe, Elizabeth Berg
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#47 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 7:00 PM
Well, me, I make stuff for the simple reason that I use it myself, and share it because it gives me more victims to test new tortures upon. Aaah. Fresh victims for my ever-growing army of the undead.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Scholar
#48 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 7:50 PM
I like modders and appreciate all the fun cc they make for the game. I also appreciate when people create good tools or tutorials to help other people create things for the game. Orange Mittens is very generous with her creations and knowledge. Without people sharing their knowledge and creating modding tools most of the cc we now have would not exist.

If it wasn't for OM's great tutorial and Peter and Inge Jones' S3OC and S3PE I along with many other players would never be able to make paintings for their TS3 game. I'm not a modder but it feels good to be able to create something for my game if I want, even if that object is as simple as a painting. And some people will move from simple objects like paintings into more difficult objects and then some of them will share those more difficult mods with the community at large (some people are by nature more generous and thoughtful than others).

Whether creators are making game objects for the community or themselves it is because they want to do so. Still, Modding is a time consuming process and people should appreciate it.

So next time you download that new hair, car, furniture or whatever for your Sims --don't just grab and go like a pigish self-entitled ass-hat. Take a moment to leave a comment saying thanks or at the very least hit the thank you button. For goodness sakes! Someone is freely giving you something--where's your manners?

Also, if anyone feels there aren't enough modders for TS3-- they can do something about it by going here: http://nene.modthesims.info/wiki.ph...=Sims_3:Modding

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Mad Poster
#49 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
...and share it because it gives me more victims to test new tortures upon.

This is stating the obvious.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Banned
#50 Old 2nd Oct 2010 at 12:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
Of course, quantity is not quality: Most of the TS3 creations are still crap, more so than TS2 creations.

And we are given the answer to the question!

Creating custom content outside of what is made in game and posted to the Sims 3 Exchange has a very steep learning curve. Many of the tools are difficult and confusing to use. Documentation is non-existent to sparce. Questions on the forum are seldom really answered because no one really knows the answers. Making even simple items can be a major chore.

So someone takes the time to learn how to use the tools. They experiment. They haunt the forums in search of tidbits of wisdom. The spend hours in a process of trial and error to make something unique.

When the post it, they are flooded with idiotic comments. Perhaps a moderator tells them it's not good enough; in many cases, it may be rejected for trivial reasons. And if it is posted, they read comments that their creations are crap.

What is surprising is that anyone bothers to post their creations.

(I have solved the problem by creating my own blog and disabling the ability to comment. I really am not interested in someone's comments unless they have something truly useful to say.)

Perhaps, if Pescado wants really high quality content, he should be supporting paysites like TSR! Obviously, the free stuff is not good enough for him.
Page 2 of 3